I like Ike

Does Veeky Forums like Ike?

Attached: i-like-ike-two-ike-button.jpg (225x225, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YmCDaXeDRI4
youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k
youtube.com/watch?v=7DoUiNxh6_0
youtube.com/watch?v=kNJQQ6GDkdw
youtube.com/watch?v=ceocNS-toDk
youtube.com/watch?v=OyBNmecVtdU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah. I wish Zhukov became leader of the USSR. Ike and Zhukov's friendship would've made the world so much better.

I wanna see an alt-history scifi movie with Zhukov as leader of the USSR and Eisenhower as president of the US, where both would have to team up again to save the world from an alien invasion
Also checked

beautiful

Zhukov, Rokossovsky, Konev and the other Marshals would have made much better leaders of the USSR than Cornboy and Brezhnev

i still like ike.

>cornboy
kek

Honestly, Eisenhower's campaign team nailed the slogans. "I like Ike", "I still like Ike", simple and effective

Attached: nDsmmrY.png (697x605, 434K)

every president before Bill Clinton was good. even Gerald Ford.

The 20th century was truly the height of American society.

What about the likes of Hoover and Harding? I admit, the US has had a very good run in terms of presidential quality between 1933-74 but not so much before and after

Desu, Hoover wasn't a bad man, just a bad president

>Cornboy
lmao

Attached: Corn.png (1254x441, 110K)

Not even a particularly bad president, the guy worked his ass off every day to the small hours of the morning. He made some bad calls that undoubtedly made the depression longer and pissed people off, his handling of the bonus army was particularly terrible, but FDR's New Deal is very similar to some of Hoover's later policies. He was a victim of his time in many ways, he could only really delay the depression (which he failed to do) or to not exacerbate the problem. Rugged individualism is pretty cool.

Andrew Johnson

Could the Depression even have been avoided, or at least have had it's impact minimized if Hoover took more active decisions early on?

youtube.com/watch?v=YmCDaXeDRI4

Not especially. He was just a continuation of FDR's and Truman's expansive globalist agenda. Overrated.

Harding was arguably the worst president we ever had, but I'd still give it to Buchanan.

Harding was basically a pacifist Grant that died too early. He was never implicated in the corruption of his office, but his nepotism cost him dearly. Both were also leaders in promoting civil rights for blacks.

Brezhnev was loved by the old military cadres unlike Cuckchev

I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but from what I know, the depression was a product of the reckless actions taken by the Fed, the inevitable end of the massive spending during the 20s (at the start of the decade people where beginning to buy their first cars, by the end of the decade most people now owned a car and sales slowed, this was true for most new products), reckless use of credit due to the impression that the good times where there to stay, the lack of government initiative to prevent it and of course the Wall St. crash were the most important factors

>tfw politics will never be like this again
>after Trump's 8 years are done we'll just go back to more boring unfun mudslinging and on stage temper tantrums with nothing of substance behind them
i hate the current year so much

Didnt even answer your question sorry. Based on this, there wasnt really much Hoover couldve done, I think he tried to pass some sort of banking reform near the start of his term but it was shot down. As for minimizing the impact, doing nothing and just letting the inevitable crash run its course mightve been the best course of action, certainly rather than pissing every country in the world off by raising tariffs massively or firing on veterans who wanted their bonuses.

Not to mentioning tripling the income tax.

>smear campaigns started with Trump
youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

Brezhnev was half-dead and senile for the most of his reign and the same can be said for all those "old cadres"

Hilarious

Wouldn't that help against deficits?

I wanna see an alt-history where Beria becomes the leader of the USSR and Huey 'the carp' Long becomes president of the US

Attached: Beria.jpg (357x450, 20K)

>where Beria becomes the leader of the USSR
That would not go smooth

>Wouldn't that help against deficits?
The Great Depression wasn't caused by deficits, and Keynesians and Austrians alike think tax hikes are bad during depressions

youtube.com/watch?v=7DoUiNxh6_0

Official theme song for thread.

youtube.com/watch?v=kNJQQ6GDkdw

Eisenhower was probably the most underrated President of the 20th century. Absolutely brilliant strategic mind who held arguably the toughest military position in history and won. Ushered in the premiere golden age of Americana and brilliantly brought about arguably eight of the best and most peaceful years of modern America.

The only real fuckup you could point to with him was the U-2 getting shot down immediately before his conference with the Russians. This led to a huge low in Soviet/US relations that would go on to plague Kennedy down the road.

But the ultimate sign of what a man Eisenhower was is that the Russians respected him so deeply. When JFK was elected, the Russians immediately became much more aggressive on the world stage because they felt they could push Kennedy around compared to Eisenhower. This ultimately led to the Cuban Missile crisis which was the peak of this tension which arguably started with Eisenhower's U-2 fuckup.

Get on my level...

youtube.com/watch?v=ceocNS-toDk

Ike came from my state and whenever I had to do a report on a president I'd choose Eisenhower

>Hey look him over!
>He's your kind of guy!
>His first name is "Birch,"
>His last name is Bayh.

Lyrics to 1976 Birch Bayh campaign song that attempted to deal with the uncertainty people had about pronouncing his name. Hard to get a lot of word-of-mouth going if people hesitate to say your name.

He would make taxes payable in young girls

The Last good Republican.

Don't forget border law enforcement

You also have to give Eisenhower credit for his "Beware of the military industrial complex" speech which is probably the most red pilled shit an American President has ever said.

Attached: 6001597234_c166ce07cc_o.jpg (1074x716, 784K)

>giving it during his farewell address
Yeah, real fucking redpilled. Harding was the last president to seriously fight the military industry and look what happened to him, went from the most popular elected president in American history to dead and defamed in every textbook thereafter.

Another bad thing was the violation of freedom of association through McCarthy

Better late than never, and how did Harding fight the MIC? By calling the Washington Naval Conference, which helped saw the seeds of WW2?

Ike approved the coup against Mossadegh, which is the other thing I could fault him for. Although he wasn't a willing participant from the start, and the Brits had to play the "he's a gommunist" card to get Ike to approve CIA backing.

On a related note, he can also be faulted for putting the Dulles brothers in positions of power, giving the US one of the least effective secstates in modern history.

> Wouldn't that help against deficits?

Not important when there's a depression. Deficit control is what you do in boom economies, austerity during depressions makes the whole thing worse.

Hoover also signed Smoot-Hawley, which was again, shooting the US economy in the foot. Hoover was utterly worthless as a crisis president.

He was like a proto-Ron Paul, he tried to warn us before it was too late but we didn't listen.
youtube.com/watch?v=OyBNmecVtdU

All of my shekels

Austerity isn't done for the people, it is done for the state. Assuring state solvency is necessary for people to have trust in any state economy.

Well, how often do you get to run a candidate on his likability? A recent candidate for high office ran with "I don't hate her" or some close approximation. How far we've fallen. It seems like the job has come require a skill set that just doesn't occur in natural humans

In fairness, Ike's way of speaking would make him enemies today. Imagine if every time Obama made some stalling utterance (Um, ah, etc.) he instead blurted out a whole paragraph of 50-cent words

>I hazard to say that you -- that is you, the citizen, the voter, the American -- will discover me, perhaps better to say turn me up, somewhere within the confines of the combination speakeasy and dancehall
>You -- that is, the selector of this great nation's most responsible positions and arbiters, will most likely, or almost with certainty, appraise me as a man enjoying -- temperately, of course -- the traditional delight of very especial occasions and events, that carbonated beverage known by many names but best recognized as "champagne."
>Should you approach me, and I sincerely hope you will and I earnestly plead with you to cast temerity aside and approach me, I will embrace you with the open arms any brother or sister of mine does deserve, and forthwith I will exert all my reserves of effort -- which are considerable but not limitless, whatsoever the press may say -- to engage you in "rubbing."

Attached: self portrait.jpg (676x380, 51K)

FDR and Johnson were two of the worst presidents the US has had.

Kennedy, Nixon, Eisenhower, were good tho

I don't think it would matter much, different people have different ways of dealing with stalling, some are silent, some make "um"s like Obama, some repeat a word or 2 like Trump

Jesus, no woman on half the planet would be safe.

>Austerity isn't done for the people, it is done for the state. Assuring state solvency is necessary for people to have trust in any state economy.

But isn't a healthy economy that people trust a good thing, for the people?

Have you ever listened to a Trump speech at one of his rallies?

I know what you mean.

But there are key differences between droning, meandering, thesauric digressions, and the retarded bleating of catchphrases and monosyllabic dissembling. One of these methods apparently enthralls lots of people. The other puts all but the most attentive, well-read and patient listeners to sleep, and even they will make fun of you for it.

To translate from Eisenhowerian to Donaldic, better to talk a lot of shit than to sound pompous and faggy.

Austerity concerns itself with trust first. If trust is restored, health may follow. This assumes however that the issue of state solvency and trust in this state should be the priority.

Usually, stimulus packages and/or currency devaluation work better though they may also create their own problems, like crowding out and hyperinflation, respectively.

And raising taxes AND lowering social securities is the hardest sell. It would never work in the US where the rhetoric either advocates big government or small government. Austerity is about reaching a sustainable balance for the input-output of the government.

Ottoman Harem 2, Georgian boogaloo