Why is ancient Egypt so fascinating?

I mean maybe it's because it's something I'm familiar since i was a child and I visited the Louvre since I was 5 but damn this culture is so incredibly fascinating to me, anyone else'

Attached: _ancientegypt.jpg (1600x1000, 329K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Persian#/media/File:Persépolis._Inscription.jpg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plimpton_322
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is it though? I thought all they did was fear death. Name me some cool shitfrom Egypt

They stood strong while every other civilization crumbled around them, their legacy forgotten.

They don't though. Have you ever been to egypt?
The only thing that remained are their tombs n shit.
No philosophy, their gods dead, their culture gone
Tell me what is egypt

Well considering they began around 3000BC, that's long ass time of civilization. Of course, it's gone now; nothing lasts forever.

They had pithagora’s theorem and geometry and equation and glass and statues and giant temples and levers and writing and fairytales and letters and domestic crocodile and lions and perfume and toothpaste

>THE ONLY THING THAT REMAINED ARE THEIR TOMBS

Attached: brainlet.jpg (233x326, 14K)

cool aesthetics, the only thing that matters in the long term

Babylon is better

There's always one contrarian.

Great pyramids > Hanging gardens

I'm not an expert on ancient egypt but why wasn't more of Sudan/Nubia taken? The Nile was Egypt's greatest source and Nubia has portions of it on top of being very fertile as well. The Egyptians were fighting Hitties and Assyrians left and right so they wouldn't be hard opponents to conquer.

They were hard opponents, the Nubians were excellent archers and often served as mercenaries in Egypt, they were formidable opponents
Not only the pyramids but also the massive temples, all the hundreds of richly painted tombs, their art was way better too

Attached: luxor-karnak-L.jpg (800x534, 128K)

Persians were more interesting. Towers of Silences are cooler than pyramids.

>Persians were more interesting.
Not really, they were a copy cat of the civilizations before them and their architecture was mediocre

This.

There was no clear delineation between the cultures and peoples. A false dichotomy was created in modern times. Nubians were essentially a subset of Egyptians as were the later ptolemites

>copy cat of the civilizations
Zoroastrianism, like Vedic beliefs, descended from Indo-Iranian religion of Sintashta culture.

>their architecture was mediocre
They were influenced by Mesopotamians in that regard. So what? Their beliefs were radically different though.

Sassanian era was very Arthurian in terms of cultural climate, for example. Also, Persian architecture during Sassanian era influenced Arabs later on.

>Of Sintashta
More like of the BMAC they copied dude...

Attached: luxor-1.jpg (3264x2448, 2.8M)

the achaemenids were the copy cats. the sassanians developed original their own original culture.

BMAC is a part of Iranian history. It's a part of the geneology. Sogdhians, Bactrians, Persians, Medes, etc., they were all a part of the history of Greater Iran.

Achaemenids were copy-cats in regards to architecture, but we lost too much to infer what their religion, culture, or etc. was like. We know more about Sassanids via Pahlavi texts and Shahnameh, which is based on oral tradition and reliably documented most of Sassanian history in its third portion.

their military was also made up of mostly mesopotamians as well as using tactics and equipment from that region. language too was influenced since they used the aramaic script. I honestly think all that has to do with how lax the achaemenids were in ruling. the sassanids were indefintely more aggresive in promoting their culture and lifestyles

>since they used the aramaic script.
They only used it for communicating with Mesoptamians. They had their own Old Persian cuneiform script too for religious purposes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Persian#/media/File:Persépolis._Inscription.jpg

>the sassanids were indefintely more aggresive in promoting their culture and lifestyles
We just have more material that shows what their culture was like. We really don't know much about the Achaemenids, like I'm telling you. A lot about the Achaemenids is disputable.

Because they left fuckhuge monuments.

>pithagora’s theorem
is this b8

No? Maybe bother to check on google next time

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plimpton_322
iraq, babylonia. not egypt

>anything cooler than the pyramids
off your rocker m8

Three big heaps of rocks outside Cairo

It's actually a fair point, look at their gods. Compared to the more standard Greek/Roman pantheon they're much cooler and just different enough to be interesting but not off-putting like Indian equivalents.

Ok I remembered wrong, they still had quadratic equations and knew how to calculate the volume of some solid figures

>they still had quadratic equations and knew how to calculate the volume of some solid figures
well so does USA, but i dont attribute the origins of it to the USA. im pretty sure quadratics originated in babylonia again, which may or may include be egypt

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Egypt was one of the oldest civilization, if not the oldest on Earth. Ancient Egypt was also full of Mysticism(which easier to romanticize unlike Sumer or Harrapan), she also had an enormous and long-lasting influence on both the Israelites and the Greeks and though them the entire West.

It seems exotic. And people love exotic shit

Change that "x" to an "r" and you've hit the nail right on the head.

Next time write it in English

real life isn't civ 5 dipshit

Yeah there's a reason why Christians used Babylon to refer to Rome in Revelations

Because Babylon kidnapped Jews

>Because Babylon kidnapped Jews
More like Jews got uppity and Babylonians put them down

>egyptians believed that the universe was created by atum fapping and spreading his seed
>pharaohs must also do this practice towards the nile
>stories of horus and set having gay sex
erotic indeed.

I was in Egypt a few weeks ago, it was really humbling. There are ruins everywhere and they were more ancients for the romans that romans are to us.

Attached: IMG_20180221_165428_317.jpg (1080x1080, 347K)

how was being a tourist there? i hear the arabs are brutal—were you there just for travel/to see ancient stuff? did you make it to old cairo?

We booked guides for both Cairo and Luxor, they were pretty cheap. Felt safe the entire time, there are quite literally army posts every 50 meters in Cairo. They're only annoying with tourists because they try to sell you stuff, just keep your head straight ahead and say "no" and they'll pass to the next tourist they see.
But overall I found the people really nice there. They smile and joke and like to talk. You can tell they've been hit pretty rought by their revolution, they lost 80% of tourism revenue and they're making efforts to win them back.

Attached: IMG_20180222_204926_482[1].jpg (1080x1080, 124K)

thanks—how long did the trip take to see evyerthing/what would be a good amount of time to book?

You can see everything you want to see in Luxor in 3 days, same for Cairo. I didn't do Aswan but apparently it's worth, so might aswell get 2 days there to visit everything (heard good about that village called Nuba)

I was only there for one week, which I considered short because basically everyday you're running to visit. Try 2 weeks if you want to take your time and visit everything (like Alexandria which I think can be done in one day).

Also try to eat at the Marriott near the pyramids, you can't beat the view and it's not even expensive

Attached: IMG_20180224_145913_583[1].jpg (3024x3024, 2.84M)

Also yeah don't drink tap water

They aren't on the list of cultures I'm interested in but they are incredibly unique. Great architects, admnistrators, etc. I just find them boring and find the Phoenicians, Assyrians, and Hittites more interesting for what I like.

This