Ides of March

RIP Caesar

Attached: Rubens-Caesar-Brandenburg.jpg (2655x3508, 1.85M)

RIP

F

>number one rule for roman politician is "don't try to be king"
>tries to be king
retard deserved it.

F

There's always one edgy faggot per thread. It's like a rule or some shit.

The republic died soon afterward

The republic was already dead,buried,cremated and nuked by then. It was unfixable after the death of the gracchi and the marius reforms

probably because that faggot tried to be king, setting a precedent

Also he named Augustus his successor, the guy who is primarily responsible for killing the republic.

>he tried to be king

Citation needed

THE RPUBLIC WAS FUCKING DEAD AND CORRUPT YOU RETARD, THEY MURDERED THE GRACCHI, EVERY CUNT IN THE SENATE WAS CORRUPT WHILE PAYING LIP SERVICE AND LARPING AS THE REPUBLIC OF 300 YEARS AGO

It was Sulla who set the precedent

Sulla stepped down though and was only justly defending himself from literally illegal actions from marius. idk how people forget marius was killing thousands of people and so on

Marius was a senile old man at that point while Sulla still possessed his mental faculties. Sulla's proscriptions were much worse. You had opportunists like Crassus putting names on the list so they can get some property. Sulla turned a blind eye to this and spent his dictatorship giving the corrupt senate more power. The precedent Sulla set was that any ambitious man could lead an army into Rome to get what they wanted. Pompey was the worst offender. After his successful campaigns he told the Senate to give him a consulship before he was eligible for it. Then Caesar came and after Caesar came the second triumvirate.

F

F
nice digits

Attached: 1518790170482.png (645x773, 23K)

F

I'd rather pompey and caesar than the people who said

"reform land by far the number one problem at the cost of giving up a bit of our wealth nAH FUCK THAT WHOSE WITH ME LETS GO KILL THE GRACHHI, GAUIS GRAB THAT BENCH OVER THERE" and beat the tribune of the plebs to death

If you didn't know >efore he was eligible for it was because of the cursus honorum that Sulla set up, it was a good system with the main flaw that there weren't enough high up positions shame it wasn't followed

Several boards are down lads, happy Ides.

Attached: 654616581981321.png (300x300, 109K)

>Several boards are down lads
What

Attached: 1494388619771.png (572x482, 254K)

F

/a/, /b/, /v/, Veeky Forums are down. No one can reply or post. It's the Ides.

>/a/, /b/, /v/, Veeky Forums are down
based. Veeky Forums prevails

Attached: 1513975348562.png (475x614, 171K)

F

>some garbage boards are down
That's nice

He was too good for this world.

F

F

so your deniying that caesar was angling for the kingship. goldsworthy says that he was attempting as much before he died, and that all the evidence supports this (wearing a purple toga, saying he was descendant of the kings of alba longa, other ritual ceremonial and other shit merging religion and secular authority). his only problem was that it was so blatant that he got killed. augustus did the same thing but more stealthily. I don't blame caesar desu and i think his opponents were utter elitist hypocrites but he went too fast too soon

All I said was that there's an edgy faggot in the thread. If you want to debate whether a 2000+ year old dead man wanted to do this or that based on other people's interpretations of his actions a couple millennia removed, you knock yourself out.

My cat turned 1 year old yesterday and I named him Caesar when I adopted him in honor of the greatest Roman man after Marius.

it's speculation, but it's not implausible. the only crime committed by that user was that his statement left no room for debate, but there's a case to be made that caesar was thinking about being king. and as evidenced before him (cicero wanting pompey to play a "first among equals" role to stabilize the republic and break the late republican deadlock) and after him (augustus), the idea of institutionalizing an executive figure was already being thought about

F

Attached: 2f7.jpg (601x508, 94K)

I named my Constantine.

F

This. The senators basically nuked every single attempt to actually save the republic until there was no option but civil war.

>Literally murder anybody who attempts to bring reform to Rome via legitimate means
>Tell Caesar point blank we want you to come back to Rome so we can execute you, giving him no choice but to come back with an army
>Actually murder Caesar while he's at the height of his popularity and expect to be worshipped as heroes, paving the way for Augustus to completely neutralize the Senate

Optimates were either one of two people; the corrupt or the autistic.