One legged squats are more functional than 2 legged squats, prove me wrong

protip u cant

amount of people on Veeky Forums that do/talk about one legged squats = very low

amount of losers on Veeky Forums = very high

see, even math proves me right.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24276305
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I do them almost exclusively. They are amazing for legs but don't work your core as well. If you don't have septate core work you will be a weakling.

I only do those and they are called split squats.

no one cares about what you call them fuckface

I did that for a time but I found hard to not use the rear leg when the weight got a little higher

i feel like its the opposite? I need to activate my core like crazy to avoid falling over like an uncoordinated idiot

Digits don't lie faggot.

fucking hate these, they kill me each time I do them

so I'd say they work pretty well

protip: do them with dumbbells

I can never rest of foot on the bench in a way that doesn't hurt it, force too much weight on it, or impede my movement path.
Had to stop on my second set since it felt like my left foot was gunna snap backwards.

they don't look as cool

Hahahaha no

as if the calf comes into squatting

that's probably because you're forcing too much weight on that foot, and you shouldn't

remember you're isolating leg by leg, so focus everything on the one you're actually flexing, the one in the bench must be relaxed

I try to but I can't relax it without falling down/being horrible off balance. Weight seems to just naturally go to it. I go down deep enough, keep my back tight, knee doesn't go behind foot, but there's still a good bit of weight just pushing my back foot down.

I have a similar issue, I wonder if the height of the bench makes a difference.

do them with dumbbells, it's easier to balance

trust me

I do them with DBs, never done them with BB

This is not good especially for natty lifters. Squats are a full body exercise that stimulate HGH and Testosterone due to enormous strain on the body which is one of the main reasons for doing squats. One legged squats are literally no different than doing a fucking quad machine.

You're an idiot OP

>take a page from the buges and do them like hack squats
>having the weight on the ground means losing balance won't kill you and it's easier to set up

you can train weighted lunges as a prerequisite, build some stability. single leg stuff can be weird to kust jump straight into

fuck, okay then:

lower weight, lower bench height, focus on ankle and knee balance, move dumbbells on each arm accordingly, go slow, practice

takes a little bit of time, they're a motherfucker

Done them before, stability is not really an issue for me til I'm several reps deep in a set. My only problem is having excessive weight on my back foot.

s t a b a l i z e r s

that's like comparing squats to leg press, you're still getting core activation and a comparable amount of strain on one leg.

t. never done split squats

You are the dumbest motherfucker to ever live.

Doesn't mean anyone should do one legged squats over real ones. Hormonal response and full body muscle stimulation is one of the main reasons anyone should do squats. One legged squats do jack shit for your core carrying heavy weight.

if you can't do them without putting too much weight on your other foot, stability IS an issue

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24276305

I guess if you're in the camp that endocrine response increases non linearly with effort. idk if that's true or not but I'd say one legged squats are more technically difficult than normal back squats and I bet it's not hard to match or surpass the individual leg activation.

>muh studies

faggot go do split squats next time you go to "the iron temple" and tell us how it went, remember to wear a mask in case rippetoe is somewhere watching, you don't want to disappoint son

it says "total load and body mass moved" was greater for squats... meaning they squatted more weight than they leg pressed? if that's the case then that study design is terrible

I've tried nearly every exercise there is, including splits. Only idiots would talk shit on something they haven't tried, but then again, that's like 99% of Veeky Forums so I don't blame you.

That has fucking NOTHING to do with what your stupid ass said.

That's talking about total work done, as in it takes more energy to do a full body workout like a squat vs leg press with the same intensity.
>completed 6 sets of 10 repetitions of squat or leg press at the same relative intensity separated by 1 week.
They basically did their 10 rep maxes for both, it just takes more work by the body because squats incorporate more muscle groups.

>hur durr its not exactly the same exact exercise it means nothing.
That study shows there is an acute hormonal response when you do a full body exercise vs one that's more targeted, at the same level of intensity.

I see, thx for clarifying. I wonder if the extra work done is proportional to the hormonal response increase.

Yeah pretty much, which is why deadlifts are the king of lifts.

You are FUCKING STUPID.
Don't post anymore.
IT TAKES MORE FUCKING EFFORT AND MUSCLES TO DO A SINGLE LEG SQUAT THEN TWO LEG SQUAT!!!
That's not even going into the sheer work capacity that it takes to do it well and benefit from it.

I mean if it is then doing leg press along with some fruity ab exercises should stimulate the same effect....

I have been doing these for a year now, no desire to return to back squats.

One legged is better for balance and stabilizers, hits gluts and hams harder, and overall translates better into sports and regular life.

wtf bro chill the fuck out your autism is showing

I seriously can't tell if you're trolling, you actually think a one legged squat at the same rep range stimulates more muscles at higher intensity than a squat? mmk

That's not how it works. That would be like saying running a marathon produces more of a hormonal response than a 5x5 strength program. More volume =/= more intensity for hormonal response.

you're implying that hormone response is capped at the peak exertion you undergo? if that were true then you could just go do a 1rm squat and get the same test boost as your normal sets, no?
and I don't think the marathon comparison works since LP and squat are both resistance exercises.

how about if you did 1000 reps of a squat?
I'm just showing an extreme comparison to illustrate my point. Your body undergoes a fight or flight response under a massive load, a 1rm wouldn't be a substitute for higher rep ranges in stimulating hypertrophy which has been proven over many years, but it will sure as hell would spike up your hormones.

are you a kangaroo? humans walk with 1 leg at a time

>what is bilateral deficit

literal retardation

ITT we pretend like you can't do both

lmao hes right tho, dont know whats in it for you acting like a turboautist here

quads confirm
sorry buddy you just got btfo by quads

chkd

>I seriously can't tell if you're trolling, you actually think a one legged squat at the same rep range stimulates more muscles at higher intensity than a squat? mmk

Ok. You're dumb.

na they're both kind of right, guy saying squats are better at activating hormonal response is right, but comparing split squats to leg press is stupid

split squats are great, they can't act like the only substitute for regular squats tho

>guy saying squats are better at activating hormonal response is right,
No, he's fucking not.
He honestly doesn't fucking understand how it works and has legit not actually done split squats.

k then boio

Let me ask you this then, why do you do squats/one legged squats? If its for leg size then you're much better off with machines isolating muscle groups.

Is it for strength? Then you're better off doing squats, when in the history of lifting anything have you ever done it on one leg?

Is it to "walk stronger" since we aint kangaroos lol. Yeah I got nothing for that. Walk strong friend.

>Is it to "walk stronger" since we aint kangaroos lol. Yeah I got nothing for that. Walk strong friend.

Not that guy but this is literally why I do one legged. Backpacking/mountaineering while carrying/hauling huge weight and it is totally worth it.

read
I swear it really must be summer still, you guys really think a one legged squat is that obscure that I haven't tried them? I've done them, a fucking lot. Probably longer than most of you fucks arguing about it have been lifting. It's not a new exercise, I've been lifting for a while and tried a lot of shit.

Oh, well in that case tear them up. Do yoke if your gym has it.
I still wouldn't use it as a sub for squats maybe like 50/50 in your case.

this is where its at folks, literal nobodies like spewing their uninformed pathetic opinions, disregarding professionals

guess you cant help someone who cant learn, as so often, ego is the issue

live long and prosper

>disregarding professionals
Professional what? Never seen a power lifter do one legged squats. Never seen pro athletes do them. Never seen bodybuilders do them. Hell I've never even seen crossfitters do them.

One legged squat is something I've done usually just to mix things up. Never enough to merit this amount of attention I've been seeing on Veeky Forums lately.

Fuck off with your "muh squat and hormones" bs.