A 15-year-old boy is in a critical condition in hospital after being found pinned to a weightlifting bench with a bar...

>A 15-year-old boy is in a critical condition in hospital after being found pinned to a weightlifting bench with a bar across his neck after trying to lift 100 kilograms, in a Brisbane gym on Tuesday evening.

>The ABC understands Ben Shaw was working out on the bench press, attempting to lift more than his body weight, at the Pine Rivers PCYC gym, north of Brisbane, when the weightlifting accident happened.

>But it was not until some time later that he was found by a staff member with the bar across his upper neck and throat, pinning him to the bench.

>It is not clear how long he was trapped.

abc.net.au/news/2017-09-28/gym-accident-teenager-fights-for-life/8995340

Is it even possible to bench press safely?

>not being able to bench lmao2plates

this "dude" deserved it

deserved it, the bar isn't supposed to be on your neck, this isn't a fucking guillotine

Calm down there speed racer

Quick the gym's empty, now I can try for a new 1RM while no one is watching

100 bucks say he browses Veeky Forums

I'd honestly be surprised if this dude could have benched 50kg

That's pretty tragic. He was just a kid

He's not dead yet.

>It is not clear how long he was trapped.

>LIGHT WEIGHT BABY

He fell for the
>You can achieve 1/2/3/4 in just 6 months of half ass training

This reminds me of those meme threads about barbells falling through ceilings and trapping people underneath, except real

Fuck. This is what probably happened. In reality no one gives a fuck if you fail a lift. Everyone will forget in 5 minutes

Dude is wayyyy too self conscious. It's what probably drove him to get in the gym in the first place

I don't know what compels people to bench or squat way more than they can handle. Most of the time they do it when they have no fucking concept of how it should feel and they should have the common sense to start as low as possible and work up from there to find a maximum. But sometimes I see relatively experienced lifters take a giant leap to the next weight when they very clearly had trouble on the last set. Let alone with 2pl8, memes aside newbs will not be able to handle that and it took me a couple of years to reach that weight.

I saw this kid the other day attempt a 205 bench for the gym's bench competition which is fucking ridiculous for many reasons. First off the vast majority at this university gym are dyel but there's a minority of really strong guys that must go there at some other times of day so I never see them, but just about every weight class has a record of 300+ for bench in this two week period. Unless you bench in that area it's pointless. Yet you get dumbasses like this kid attempting something that won't even be close to a record for no reason other than try to show off for the 6/10 girl who was spotting for the people attempting records. Anyway instead of having her spot him he has her take his phone to get video of a set only to fail on rep 2, have her stop the recording and help him up. Fucking chestlets when will they learn?

Maybe it rolled out of his hands and to his neck.

>australian retard bites the dust
and the world's a better place for it

Fuck that’s right near my house, the kids around here all look pretty much that autistic though I’ll be honest

turns out he's a complete fucking autist. and he looks like he can't even bench 135lb. i feel like this is actually a fucking murder or something
>hey kid
>hey kid come bench this
>don't worry i'll spot you

>100 kilograms
did they count the bar?

how was he able to unrack it? someone must have helped him out

>barneyfag

God's work, I'd say

and now the whole world knows about his failed rep

>15 year old
But check out this edgy tough guy. Please give us some more hot takes.

fuck, that's tragic
>wait until there's nobody to see you fail
>failure becomes frontpage news across the nation

Can someone post the greentext pls

>tries bench pressing
>dies

>that hair

Could that be the same dude that someone made a thread about a couple days ago that they were doing chest compression on some kid on the second floor of the gym?

This, I feel pretty bad
If he lives I can only assume he won't want to touch another barbell again

The last time I tried to bench 2pl8, I failed. Everyone ignored me except this 20something Asian guy who tried to help me rerack it but I was already sliding it onto the floor anyway. Never been mentioned since then. Maybe if I had friends they'd tak shit about it but I don't so w/e.

Nope, that guy was from Idaho and he came back and confirmed with an email from his university that the kid died.

Plus they said he was a runfag and it was on the indoor track.

No, he died from heart failure

when he gets back to school he's going to get the piss ripped out of him

>that haircut

nevermind nothing new for him I guess

My uni gyn is full of dyels, including me. Some times I cant even get a spot for anything over 150lbs. My max for reps is 195 but im working back due to injury

Kid looks like he could barely do 50kg let alone 100. Too stupid to have a spotter, too stupid to use the rack with the safeties, obviously had shit form. He deserved it and all you faggots saying but he's just a kid, 15 is old enough to not be this fucking retarded.

Forgot the (you)

underrated

That is a very unappealing picture.

I love this girl's body

guillotine press is an actual movement

Lightweight baby

yeah i (used to) know this 15 year old kid who did it all the time.think get got up to 100kg or something. havent heard from him in a while though.

Article says they counted the bar, but I can't see if they have accounted for the holes in the weights, which obviously you should also count.

Bench press? Sounds more like a deadlift to me

that kid looks like he doesn't know bench press form, much less the guillotine press

Also his grip. Wider grip makes the bar lighter since the weight in between your hands isn't actually being lifted by you because it's in front of you

What possesses skinny faggots like him to try to lift weight they obviously can't handle

Reminds me of a skinny 15 year old that went to my gym, saw I was curling x amount of weight, and then tried to do the same amount of weight barely able to do it with massive swinging.

Like do these kids not feel that the weight is way too much for them? I don't get it.

Hahaha fuckin’ a

why do i feel like you spent a ridiculous amount of time writing this post?

Would you stop debating about whether the bar weight counts you fucking morons?
The real question is whether working out his neck would have saved him from death.

they probably arent thinking too much and are overwhelmed by the new environment. thats my best guess

>Monster in the bckground

If you dont have saftey rack, never go for a pr. Not hard.

How many reps do you think he did before he failed.

most likely none

took it off, it fell straight on his chest

>Is it even possible to bench press safely?
Power cage with an arch.

Because young teenagers are full of bravado.

He probably fell for 2pl8 memes and now he's going to die.

More like he fell for the
>manlets are actual people and not failures.

>Inexperience

/thread

I bailed on a 275 bench before after completing 317x1 and had to give up on the 275 when doing a drop set, the weight can be controlled when you bail, just make sure you have a bench with fucking spotter bars ............

Ego, pure and simple. It's the same shit that causes people to move a weight with terrible form and then decide that they should increase weight, ending up injuring themselves.

Kids come in, think they're way stronger than they are, and refuse to admit the thought that they aren't. With the curl he probably just went "my forms not that bad, I got my reps".

my biggest fear in life

Can't you just roll of shame?

This. If he could get a rep there's no way he would have lost control so bad he couldn't roll it off him unless he was using suicide grip, and I assume he'd be dead then.

he tried but did it in the wrong direction

If it's on your lower chest, yeah. If it's higher up you're kind of screwed - little hard to effectively roll the bar uphill.

Weight lifting is dangerous sport. I am never letting my wife's son do weight lifting. I will only allow him to do calisthenics.

Isn't it a huge no-no just to bench at your neck anyhow? Isn't the proper form supposed to be at your nipples?

how old is your wife's son?

Normally that's more or less the correct touch point (it'll vary a bit by grip width, proportions, arch and just general preference). There's a good chance this kid had no idea what he was doing but also sometimes even a good form bench will get caught in a bad place to try and roll - there's something of an arc to the bar path so if you miss higher up and it comes down straight the outlook will not be good.

dunno bout that, i've hit cars, tree's, straight onto gravel at 45km/h on my bicycle, still get back on it, cos i know its not the bikes fault

go back to pol you fucking retard

>deadlift
>still alive
>time to bench I guess

Hope the faggot died.
I remember squatting 100 kg once when I was pretty much only able to squat 80kg before, I almost killed myself too but at least I got it up and didn't snap anything, but going for a 100 kg bench when all you can realistically do is 50 maybe and not having a spotter is sheer insanity and not in the good way
Guy asked for it

Stop putting god damn collars on the bar if you are benching, you don't need them. Roll the plates off if you absolutely have to.

lol cry more and suck a nigger dick

I never bench with clips desu, better to make a noise than to die because your air supply gets cut off

i would disagree. most people do not think that much ahead, especially teens. if he didnt research lifting and hadnt done it before he probably just didnt think he was in any danger from doing a simple bench press

7.5 months old

More people need to realise this...if you're going to BP up near your 1rm solo with no safety bars then you're already an idiot but not having clips could save your life

>Well I saw Chad repping this out and he's like only half a year older so I should be at least able to do this once right?

I can almost bench 3pl8 and I don't use a spotter. I have failed a couple times at 290 (I do 290 1x3). I don't use pins because that would be retarded. I've had to dump the weights once. The other two times I just sat there with the weight on my chest and thought about my choices until I was able to ask someone to help me. I remember one time a guy walked by me and I just said "dude, can you help me out" because I didn't want to dump the weights

anyone got that story of the guy who gets trapped under a bar at a 24/7 gym and has to wait till next morning for the owner to come in and lift the bar off him

>maroons supporters

lmao

This is why I bench in the power cage

savage af, the guy is a literal kid, doesn't deserve to die just because he hasn't finished puberty and his brain is incapable of weighing risk properly. if it was a 21 year old, fair enough, but 15 is a baby (i'm a dad, so a softie)

He's going to die you fucking idiot

>brisbane
Not surprised the gym bro culture is huge here

I’m afraid it’s been 9 years...

Pls, pine rivers isn't brisbane.

I'm a dad too, I wasnt that retarded at 15, or even 12. I'm not gonna go and say I hope he dies like that user, but he's fucking dumb.

I hope he fucking dies of eternal bleeding REEEEEEEEE

>eternal bleeding

kek

How do you not die at the gym?
I'm just starting, weak as fuck and don't have a spotter. Do you just tip it to the side and let the weights slide off?

by knowing ur limits and not dropping shit on ur head or throat

Don't ego lift, start with the bar and build up until the weight feels heavy. That's your working weight. Increase normally from there, and be willing to admit if you didn't get a rep, or your form sucked doing it, so stay on that weight.

People who die in the gym are doing stupid ego lifting like this kid, refuse to admit bad form, or are doing dumb shit like suicide grip OHP. Put being safe first and you'll be fine.

ask for a spot if you need it
most gym bros will be happy to help as long as you dont keep pestering them

He shouldn't have been allowed to lift without supervision.
His parents signed the forms, this is their/ his fault
the gym is not to blame.

Unobtainable body image in the media. People are always pushing this shredded guys in our faces. Making us think we should look like thar otherwise we're not attractive.

Healthy at every size I say.