/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General
A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Commisar's notes on the Meme Method
>pastebin.com/u0jiY8sM (embed)

Dumping what I have to get this thread going hopefully

What'd everyone train today? I back squatted 147, cleaned 100, and push pressed 85.

Wish i had something to contribute. I'm in the middle of a 2 week break to focus on running, bodyweight stuff and just to generally mix up the training a bit.

AL

Why aren't /owg/ threads as common as /plg/?

Can you kind lads check my 70kg Power Clean on Monday?

t. SS victim.

>all manlets

>1 normal sized human

no wonder you guys love this ''sport''

Because powerlifting is easy and everyone can do it.

I will be trying out weightlifting with a coach for a month in winter, and then go on a 3 month session with a coach in the summer, wish me luck guys

Lasha isn't "normal sized", he's 6'7

Because any mongoloid can powerlift.

I just want to vent that I can't do snatch. Have a wrist injury that gets really bad from holding the bar in the snatch position. I can only train clean and jerk. Feels bad man

the rest are all still manlets tho

Again it depends on the weight classes, obviously the guys at 85 and below will be shorter, the guys at 94 and above will be "normal" heights. This happens in literally any sport with weight classes.

>Why aren't /owg/ threads as common as /plg/?
because 99% of the oly guys are weak as fuck

>Can you kind lads check my 70kg Power Clean
kek

hey man, we all started somewhere

we all start somewhere

we all start somewhere but 99% of the oly guys end up nowhere, its the ultimate chad sport only a handful get good. Although its mostly because of no coaches

powerlifting is easier also more forgiving, you dont need a coach to s/b/d. Misconception is that it isnt hard, pl is hard just not on the technical side

The vast majority of guys who "powerlift" don't actually do that, they just s/b/d like every other retard in the gym.

how much do you pay for a coach?

Depends on the coach, klokov's weightlifting gym is 40k rub/yr with 5 training sessions, which isn't that much, but id imagine weekly training sessions with a good coach will run you quite some

Because everyone answered questions with lmoa get a coach and then they circlejerked over their shitty lifts.

its a grind bro

you just need less tools than oly. Programming is simpler, little tech needed, no need to develop special skills like oly, little mobility needed

but smashing those weights day in and out is still hard. Vast majority like you said, they dont get strong either, they suck. Doing babby programs with low volume i could do with my eyes closed.

When you realise that you cant make it in oly because of technical errors you cant fix, or specials skills you cant develop. Its ok to switch to pl, dont worry. You can still be a chad at pl

>When you realise that you cant make it in oly because of technical errors you cant fix, or specials skills you cant develop
what skills or technical errors can there be that can't be fixed?

That hit, at what age to weightlifters start training to be a professional?

6-9

I want to identify and correct mistakes early.

Are you implying it’s babby weight? Rippetoe says BP weight should be higher than PC, and I’m sure people have stalled before hitting 70kg BP on a newfag program.

Coming off my newbie volume block. I'm pretty excited to start

Because most people in /owg/ obsess over minute details in the competition lifts but won't increase them and don't understand why. Meanwhile they squat 150 kg and weigh 70 kg at 180 cm and thinks PL is "ungraceful".

Oh damn, what about teens? 13-16?

Just hit a PR 265 lbs clean, couldn't get the jerk felt light headed from the catch position. My road to 315 is beginning to look doable after 2 years ago becoming very demotivated from slow progress and ending at 245. If I could break 300 in a year I would be really happy.

70kg power clean is babbyweight no way around it

anyone who practices oly will power clean more than they bench. I know plenty of people who practice pl and ''power clean'', basicly upright row more than that without even training for it

can confirm this

i can clean and jerk slightly more than that easily and i had absolutely no training in oly lifting and it looks like hot garbage

>5'8
>168 lbs
>snatch 155x5

is this pathetic? I've been oly lifting 2-3 months

Stop memeing, lu xiaojun was a farmer until like 15.

wrong buddy

>wikipedia article is lying
k
he was recruited at 13 because his family was too poor, and then he quit half way through to go back home. He wasn't even special until like age 19

If you haven't been trained from childbirth by Spartan Chinese gulags and hand picked by Armenian Stasi talent searchers then injected with copious amounts of Kazakh State Sponsored juicy-juice, you're not going to have an easy time with the routines pros have the elegance a lot of them possess. 'Murican coaches are going to put you on a fair training regimen but it won't really be enough. If you follow leddit tier advice that skinnyfat day0 nofappers who are just about to touch the bar for the first time that "deadlift doesn't translate to snatch results" and "no need for strict press bro" you're still going to make babby lifts in sn/c&j. Obviously main lifts, squatting and pulls are the focus, but some accessory exercises are there to improve general strength and balance.

Same amount of tools needed for both sports. Programming is very simple on oly as well, just sn/c&j & squats+pulls with supports/jerks/presses sparingly. People don't like PL because they're jealous of them moving 10% bigger weights for 10% less ROM; credit to them, PL is less technical, nerve racking, and high stakes than oly, but they can't be compared for those reasons.

70kg is pretty light, depends on how much you weigh though and PC are not good transitions over to full C&J. If you're interested in full C&J you should focus more on the 3rd pull, and of course, working on the jerk.

cant wait for those olympic games comfy threads on /sp/

I'm thinking of learnign some Oly lifts once I build my home gym, would love to do a mix of oly and heavy ass ocmpounds but I also want to build mass

Is a 380lb clean highpull to clavical level decent for a 230lb person who is 6'4"?
I just do them to help get a higher vertical jump for basketball.

Would it be worth getting into oly lifting or are lanklets doomed?

>tfw no gyms with bumpers near me

FUCK

Hey folks

I'm prone to muscle knotting in my quads as a result of wl and squatting. Any tips on recovery or prehab beyond rolling my legs out every day?

ALLAHU ASSBAR

Im just coming from PLG to say I reverse curl from ground to my shoulders 105kg and than casualy push press it over my head.

never learned any olympic lift

>tfw no thicc asian weightlifting goddess to cuddle with

READY TO DIE

never forget

/sp/ will always find a way

jesus, that bottom out

>no spinning man posted yet

SPINBRO JOINS THE PARTY

How often are you squatting? and at what intensity?

is that at the olympics? that's fucking hysterical

Just do the lifts+squats+accessories (presses, pull ups, bodybuilding) and you should build plenty of mass.

im not the best at programming so I dunno how to set up a proper one

yes indeed it was

LSUS is a very good strength/hypertrophy olympic weightlifting program, but I think it lacks technique work that beginners need. Do one of the many beginner programs out there, and move to LSUS once you have a strong enough technical base.

got a 60kg snatch double the other day lads, slowly getting my strength back after being really sick for a few months. the funny thing is my lifts are actually higher than they were before when i weighed 15kg more. bodyweight snatch here we come.

I snatched 65kgs for a double, and couldn't snatch 72 for a single the other day. I seriously wanted to harakiri.

Coming from PLG to tell you guys to stick with it, hit my first 140 clean and jerk a few days ago at 77bodyweight.

because idiots just tell anyone interested in olympic lifting that it is literally impossible unless you've got perfect genetics, have been training since age 8 and of course, are getting coached spending $200 a month on a gym membership

the truth is that almost anyone can get into olympic lifting provided they have the patience to learn the lifts properly and they have the mobility to do so. that being said, anyone who is self taught has little chance of ever being seriously competitive, but seriously, who cares? if you want to learn the olympic lifts do it, compete against yourself and just have fun.

I also think the idea that you NEED a coach is absolutely outlandish. It's like people think olympic lifting is some sort of magic. Most coaches are fucking retards.

bump

anyone else train without a program?

>go into gym
>do whatever reps/sets i want
>just make sure i focus on snatch, c&j and front squat
>make gains and have fun every time i lift

feels good man. programs are gay and get boring after like 2 weeks

Seconded. I did smolov though and that was worth it

What some of you don't realize is that to be a good weightlifter, you should have a long sports background and be overall athletic.

You don't get good just doing snatches, C&J, squats, pulls and stuff. You also need jumps, other sports and spesific weightlifting accessory (not for strength but for athletic training)

Weightlifting programming is not simple and the free programs are mostly shit for an individual. Beginners don't realize how much a heavy pulling / squatting workout can hinde their next snatch / C&J session when it comes to speed, rhythm and overlall "feel" of the lift.

shut up faggot, you're never going to be in the olympics

too much negativity today. Everyone post something good that happened to you today

>crushed 7x5 @ 140 on back squats
>had some egg whites and leftover ground turkey with a yolk and green onions cooked into it
>bottoms up on my shake, showered, get a day to rest with no work after gym
>10x3 @ 145 tomorrow

Looking to increase my squat so I can hit the big 3pl8 c&j. At 130 rn

if you cant progress with bulgarian until you hit 120/150 at least dont bother doing oly

once every three days, about 80-85%

i just started olympic weightlifting and holy shit is it fucking amazing, why is this thread such a shit show?

Make it better, user. Make it better.

I do the same

kek, you need someone to tell you where your form is breaking down and when you need to step back a bit and focus on technique. most people unless they're very honest with themselves won't be able to do that, and its much easier with a coach because they know what to look for and can point it out right after the lift

Bullshit. There are so many pros and coaches on Youtube that have tons of videos about form, teaching beginners, common and uncommon mistakes, tips and programming and all that shit. You can do just fine with recording your lifts and using the youtube videos to compare them to. Obviously haveing a coach is superior, but dont try and pretend you cant make significant progress by teaching yourself.

t. snatched sub 100kg

Guys I'm new to weight lifting
I used to weigh 123lbs and I'm 5'11"
After bulking and going to the gym I've gained a little over 40lbs since March of this year
I've been training like your average bro
But I want to do Olympic weight lifting after seeing Klokov I've fallen in love with his 162kg strict OHP
My OHP is stuck at 110lbs and idk what to do
How would I go about finding a coach?

Getting into oly lifting for your OHP is like getting into bodybuilding for your deadlift. It'll probably go up but it ain't a major consideration.

Nice argument faggit

Try running smolov jr for press

Not just OHP but everything
His snatches squats are insane
His physique is my dream
I just want cannonball shoulders
Thank you I will look it up

get someone to walk on your legs

/owg/ has been dead for a while, I'm trying to help bring it back

Just film yourself and check it against other lifters

klokov is an exception, his genetics are god-tier. besides, his training had a lot of accessory work unlike most of the other medalist oly lifters who look garbage (specially above 95kg).

how we do dis

i didnt say you couldnt make significant progress without a coach, i said that you have to be a lot more honest with yourself if you go down that route. Most people aren't, they'll say "that was just fatigue, this that or the other" because they can't take the step back to analyse themselves properly (most of the time) like a coach can.

having a coach makes everything easier, especially when you're just starting out

This. Foam rolling is great too if somebody standing on you is too intense at first. Also, you should check out pretty much any and all videos kelly starrett has on quad-related recovery. Its done me wonders.

Nois m8. That's almost enough for junior worlds qualification.

I can deadlift 180kg (short arms leave me alone) but only power clean 80kg

Why is this so hard wtf

I squat five times a week with 80%++ intensity every time and I walk all day at work and my knees hurt. How do I fix? My squat form is fine, should I just roll my quads and IT band?

there's also a lot to study in regards to programming and technique if you want to be completely self-taught, which takes time and patience. it's just too much effort if you wanna do your best on your own.

Your squat form isn't fine

HOL UP

am I supposed to only focus on a single lift on this smolov program?

>fat fuck
>Olympic athlete
lol what a joke

IMMA TEACH YOU HOW TO JUGG WITH ME...AYY!

Yes. It's made for a single lift. Surely you can do other lifts on a another program at the same time though.

the slow-mo shows the bar skipping over her dick

I can deadlift 180kg (short arms leave me alone) but only power clean 80kg

Why is this so hard wtf