Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IkDDBL7jNew&t=685s
youtube.com/watch?v=0gwHQvMXTTg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>fencing

Reddit: The Sport

Just do plyometric lunges while holding a pool noodle like a sword

>go look at uni fencing club
>its full of larpers running around and theater nerds who have boners for ye olde swordfighting

Lots of fun, very limited practical application.

>sword fighting with car antennas

Try Kendo or whatever that one with the big staff is called

do actual fencing instead of that gay shit

I did it for six or seven years as a teenager.

It's fun, and it does sharpen your mind in a lot of ways. But it's expensive and elitist. When I started at 11, it was a good way to exercise and to hit other kids with a stick in a safe environment. But over the years, when kids started getting serious and hiring private tutors and shit and getting angry when they lost a single bout, it stopped being any kind of fun. I appreciate the dedication and all, but those people took what is probably the most fun low-impact sport on the market and turned it into pure autism.

Now that I'm out of school I might see if there's any fencing going on in my new town. Maybe with some like-minded adults, it'll actually be interesting again.

I'd also be interested in that full-armor combat they do in Poland or wherever, but I've read that they have an extravagant rate of concussions and spinal damage.

youtube.com/watch?v=IkDDBL7jNew&t=685s

Currently doing it at university. You need to be wiry to do foil and epee. If you're gonna lift while you fence, do sabre.

This is what happens with literally every sport that attracts rich kids in existence. See: tennis, squash, hockey (on grass), rowing, swimming, etc. Raging kids and their helicopter parents just can't stand to fucking lose, either that or they treat it like it's a career.

If there are any actual fencers here, what percentage of it is skill vs pure luck? I remember watching it at the Olympics last time and it looked like the guys would always just flail into each other and it would be a tossup as to who got the point.

It just kills me because I loved it so much. I had a couple of kids who I was rivals with, it felt like an old sports movie. I knew it was over when people stop complimenting each other on good footwork and shit.

My opinion is that fencing is like your ass.

Full of faggots

At the olympic level, there's almost no luck at all. Every gesture has hundreds or thousands of hours of practice and reflex built into it, in response to cues and innuendo from the other person.

youtube.com/watch?v=0gwHQvMXTTg

i think it's pretty gay.
are you a chink/gook?

Did fencing for years alongside swimming, won a few medals but eventually stopped because it's snap city pass a certain point, especially the knees... Really underrated sport reflexes, quick thinking, works cardio like hitt. There is a lot to learn and to master in terms of techniques though.

also kinda suck to be bruised everywhere all the time.

post your feet and ill tell you if you have what it takes

Fencing with your friends is a whole lot of fun. But the hyper-competitive and hilariously elitist mindset most fencers have utterly and absolutely kills the sport.

You could also do HEMA, which is actual swordfighting and my favorite hobby ever, but you have to put up with a fair amount of neckbeards and nerdy types. And it's difficult to find clubs if you don't live in a major metro area in America. However, HEMA fighters at the highest level are all awesome dudes and it's worth it to get good enough to hang out with them on equal footing.

yea, i'm sure it's real demanding
lol, fuck off pussy

>implying that upper right arm and right rib bruise isn't aesthetic as hell

Bring back mensur.

You're a big guy

>he doesn't cross train between HEMA, Fencing, and Kendo for gains

gtfo Fiore

Fencing is a noble profession. Digging holes to place the posts is no easy feat. Neither is mixing the cement to cement them in their place.

Fencing is a martial art for pussies fuck off

Still a big guy.

That's a good point actually. Fencing is an excellent sport for old people to stay active and use basic core and arm strength, but can't run five miles or take blows to the head anymore.

If you guys have parents or grandparents who are trying to stay healthy and maybe have a social environment, fencing isn't the wrong way to go.

just do hema

there are more qt grills in sport fencing than hema tho

It really isn't, although its not a martial art and just a sport, it really gets very intense cardio wise, wouldn't recommend it for older folks. Hema Kendo or other larper things are more suited.

This. fencing nowadays is for girls. I did Kendo for 8+ years & in the west it's full of larps & fatasses who just grind to git gud enough to not have to actually exercise while doing it. I practised & fought in Japan 4 2yrs & its one of the main Chad sports & felt pure & healthy. The hot girls like the team leader etc. I had lots of fun. the teahcers are all policemen etc. Don't do weebo sports outside of asia. maybe fencing is good in germany or france.

If you're in the West do boxing. You'll have a better experience & be respected

So much fun man! I did it when I was in middle school and early high school. It was great cardio and the equipment was less expensive than ice hockey gear. Pretend you're a jedi, it works.

We're still doing mensuren. It's legal in Germany

Been fencing for two years, the most fun I had doing a sport.

You can remove cardio for all your workouts since you are gonna run like a mothefucker fencing.

/thread

To the untrained eye its a fucking mess.

Pretty much any sportsball exept for swimming and just running.
My moms friend laughed at me for choosing

... Rugby instead if fencing. Happy I'm not like her son.

If you want to kill your grandpas with a heart attack, lets them do fencing.

Shit tires you like a mothefucker

Sabre is rock paper scissors

>Never done Sabre competitively

I dont want to hijack the thread, but i dont think my question is worth another thread. What sports can you play as an adult without having to go to a college?

All non team related sports.

And you can still play those if you go to sport centers or shit.

What do you wanna play user?

chess

>To the untrained eye its a fucking mess.
To the trained eye it's still a mess.
It's like cricket.
I'll play it, but fuck watching it ever.

I'm not really sure; ive never played organized sports.
i just looked up some rugby leagues in my area, and one has open try outs saturday. my cardio is garbage though.

If it was a mess there would be no competitive scene since you need a referee to decide which light is the correct one( since 90% of the times there is gonna be two lights).

But no, you are right, we are just pretending to know who won the point.

Just go,you cant decide if you are gonna like it if you dont just fucking go. No one is gonna hate you because you cant run as fast or as long as other people.

i also dont know anything about rubgy or its rules

thanks, user. maybe i will

I didnt know anything about fencing a year ago, the rules, the different swords, I went, they taught me, I learned.

Rugby cant be more convoluted than fencing.

did it in middle school and high school it's really elitist. I won tournaments just by waving around the epee like a caffeine induced autist. Would not recommend if you're interested in actual european martial training read books about it. It gets especially frustrating when people use pistol grips which were never used traditionally, but was made for people with missing fingers.

do you have to be in reasonably good shape for fencing? if i show up to the rugby tryouts at 260lbs will i get laughed at

Powerlifting for sport is unironically more reddit than anything

if reddit was a sport, i think it would be badminton

Bears no resemblance to anything approaching a real sword-fight, go for it!!

>Did fencing for about 4 months
>biggest guy there
>literally str vs dex memes they ran rings around me
>one day instructor brings in heavier cavalry sabres 4 fun
>undefeated the entire day
Quit because i had no friends

>i also dont know anything about rubgy or its rules

don't worry neither do most of us who play

Only sport I've ever played where "the referee gets to interpret things however he likes" is actually in the official rules.

dunno where you are from, but i get together with the floor workers and we rent a court for 2h of futsal here in Brasil, it's actually a pretty common thing here, helps with team work and all of that. Try seeing in your company if you couldn't get a coworker or two to go for basketball/some other shit and eventually get more people to join

also this . Swimming, boudering and any martial arts are fun

only been in two competitions, first and second place by pure luck, just aim to their foot and hope they fail, i guess its because im at amateur level, maybe after a while they actually have some strategies

lel thing is with rugby (union at least) the rules are so technical that in practice a lot of it ends up being at the discretion of the referee and their judgement

after watching a few games it seems pretty chaotic, more so than football.
US, but where i am a lot of people play soccer

pretty gay
if you tell people they will say its cool but secretly everyone will think you are a fag
this goes for any martial arts too

Fencing seems like one of the few sports besides actually fighting, that would help you with fighting.

That's all I see about it anyway

If its a bunch of neet faggots why not join and win you pussy?

Just do BJJ so you actually have some functional self-defense