How martial arts classes should be

Veeky Forumsizens that do martial arts. How much time in class do you spend on conditioning exercises. Think I fell for a meme gym where it sometimes is 50/50 conditioning/technique or 70/30 conditioning/technique. Shouldn't a martial arts class spend most of the time on technique/sparring?

At least 70% will be conditioning

Depends on the conditioning, really. There's forms of conditioning that also build up skills that most beginners completely lack but need to learn, including mobility and endurance of small muscles that most people don't think too much about.

Serious fighters spend like 70% of their training on conditioning (mostly in the form of drills, really), but for a beginner I'm a much bigger advocate of technique. Does your gym have any competitive fighters?

It's a Krav Maga gym so no. Instructor says sparring is at higher levels but I think it's bullshit. Signed up for striking since TKD is the only other option and I thought weapon disarms would be fun to learn. Everything else I have done (wrestling, judo) has had sparring since day 1. Also classmates range in physical fitness from bad to very in shape.

It really depends on the sport. I know I had more conditionning in boxing than Savate.

It depends on your level and your goal as well. Conditionning is really not fun, but you really feel it during a fight. For beginners really, technique/drills IS conditionning.
I think sparring is beneficial to every level, but I can see why he could wait until you have the very basics (around a week or two).
But especially in something like Krav Maga, you'll want to work on your situational awareness. Perhaps he thinks the basics drills are enough for now, but that shouldn't keep going for too long

My jiu jitsu teacher always tells the newbies one of the biggest pieces of coaching wisdom I've heard, that I think holds up for any martial art:
>if I held you back from sparring until you could actually more or less know what you're doing, you'd be sitting out the end of every class for the next three or four months. I'd be doing you a disservice by making you come all that time and then realize you don't actually like jiu jitsu the moment you start rolling, so here, we roll from day one.
Krav Maga can be good. I've met Krav Maga instructors that also coaches kickboxing fighters, but frankly unless the conditioning is truly high level, it sounds a bit like bullshit to me.

I don't even see the next level students sparring. I see them just doing more complicated drills.

depends on the person and the conditioning will be mostly on seperate days

conditioning is a meme to make you tired. You go to a martial art class to learn how to fight not to get tired

That's kind of how I'm starting to feel. If we are learning to fight why aren't we actually fighting?

Yeah that's not a very good sign. All the drills in the world are for naught if there are no sparring.
I went to cross train in a boxing where people very rarely spared. It was terrible and when we did spar the other guys were terrible

My boxing gym produces competitive fighters, but they have specialized training. The grunt training is this:
>15 min warm up/conditioning
>45 min drills, alternating between explosive/conditioning and technique heavy
>15 min sparring
>15 min pure strength/conditioning
>5 min cooling down/stretching

Most people do conditioning and strength on their own time if they want to go on to competition

I started boxing consistently a few months ago and it more or less the same.
> 10-15 mins warm up
> 30 min with a partner working on technique: hitting each others gloves, learning foot work, learning to slip and counter with very basic drills, playing games specific for boxing such as: McGregor style pool noodle stuff, trying to slap each other shoulders, trying to step on each other toes etc...
> 10 minutes sparring
> 10 minutes group cardio circuit style stuff which after the rest of it makes everyone want to cry

Is there limited space at those places? I finally went over to this local boxing club to see about trying it out, and there was some sign on the wall that said "sorry, club full" or something like that. I guess it makes sense that there's limited space for like one instructor, but it was pretty disappointing.

>jiu jitsu
>Krav Maga
all we're missing are the muay thai and bjj nerds and we got a full blown meme thread

how old dude?

I’ve done it for 14 years and I’m a third degree black belt in Tang Soo Do, and honestly, everyday would consist of some type of conditioning, then doing our one steps, or forms.
Would recommend.

>14 years and I’m a third degree black belt in Tang Soo Do
might as well be a pink belt, bro
what the fuck is that?

Korean karate without any competition

There aren't limited places where I go. But sometimes it can be quite busy and then space is an issue. Most of the people who go are regulars and whenever it's busy it's because of a large influx of new people (newer than me), who probably only come for a maximum of 2 or 3 lessons before calling it quits.

I'm 28, I know I'll never be good at any level but I became a bit tired of going to the regular gym, so I wanted to try something new. My plan is to have an amateur fight or two and then I'll probably give it up, or start going to grappling lessons.

I would say most of the people who go there are similar to me in that respect, i.e. older, used to be able to bench more than now, but became a bit bore of just picking things up and putting them down.

>t. Aikido grandmaster

Also, I forgot to mention that for a time I was going to boxing classes at really big gym that even had a few less well known UFC fighters training there. There were no limits on the number of people who could go, but, there were some many people per class that if you were lucky the instructor would give you one-to-one advice for a total of no more than two minutes over the duration of the class.

He was a great instructor, but it often felt like I didn't really learn anything.

Perhaps being turned away from the gym you saw was a sign of high quality, or at least a realistic expectation from the coaches of the number of people they could effectively train.

I was going to make a reference to Joseph and Mary being turned away at the inn, but n second thought it was not funny at all...

>another meme
lol

What's a reasonable price for a decent MMA gym?

$100 a month

I think it just depends on your gym.
I train bjj and we only do like 10 minutes of warming up; rolling, shrimping and doing whatever drills and stretches the coach decides before we get into it, but I have heard of gyms where they do a lot more more cardio and calisthenics.

I started taking bjj and since day 1 it's all been repping passes and drilling specific situations. Occasional stretches and conditioning just for a few mins and only to improve on the bjj itself. After class you can stick around and spar with someone. A ton of the people in class are already in amazing shape and a few ham galaxies. I'd bail from the class if it's mostly conditioning you can do that on your own time.

Thanks. I see there is one that looks good pretty close to my apartment for $120. I live in NJ, so $120 here is like $100 elsewhere.

>krabby magoo
HAHAHAHAHAHA

>Everything generally considered good is a meme

You cannot condition without using proper technique

>good
lol

>generally considered
Brainlet

so they're not really good?

I think the best is 40 min conditioning, 20 min techniques, 30 min sparring...
I am sambo guy I think movement is better than technique.

I would say, step back and take an honest look at the class. If you don't "see" sparring going on and it's said to be "practiced." Then they probably don't do it. Also take a look at the style itself.
Krav Maga isn't a combat sport. It's mainly a military/ technique orientated martial art. Most of your "sparring" is going to be partner drills. This isn't a bad thing necessarily I've heard of some Krav schools that do actually spar with gloves and rounds. However a lot of those kinds of martial arts and teachers of those martial arts really get into the theory of the techniques and what "should happen". i.e. 5-10 steps before something actually happens.
If you're looking for something that immediately gets you into sparring, find something more combat sport-related. BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo, even wrestling. Martial arts that are competitive.

I will say this though, conditioning is very important. Being able to take a punch and correctly throw a punch will help you more than just facing off against someone in hopes that it'll just come to you.

Come from a muay thai background where we did a long ass warmup then did drills mixed with conditioning the rest of the time and sparred like 3 rounds a week, tried mma too, same thing there.. Said fuck it, took a break and just lifted for a while.
Joined a boxing club after some friends who did boxing claimed there was alot of sparring, joined and got disapointed as f**k... 60 min classes, 45 min of conditioning, 10 min of punching exercises and then some more conditioning...
Got tired of it, i wanted to box, not do pushups...
Joined a karate dojo thinking well, atleast ill get to pretend to fight and get flexible, boy was i in for a suprise.. 10 mins of warmups, 30 mins of sparring(standing and groundfighting), 30 mins of fighting exercises with a partner and the last ten min is conditioning. Did thai, mma, boxing thinking i was gonna train to fight, kicked pads and did pushups.
Joined a karate school thinking i would end up in a mcdojo, instead i end up joining a dojo that focuses almost only on fighting.

My local boxing gym only trains their competition team. Only reason why he even considered giving me private lessons is because his pops is a vietnam vet and I'm an OEF vet.

His son is an amateur, national level champ, so the guy knows what he's doing and won't waste time on dicks who come in for a few months and then bail. Waste of all his time and effort on some guy who doesn't commit to competing.