Anyone know a good coach in Austin, TX?

Anyone know a good coach in Austin, TX?

My squat is absolutely retarded and online advice doesn't help.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dRmT1mja4uk
youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY
youtu.be/dBTQi5kdfW0?t=52
youtube.com/watch?v=n3Ci9ANd-jw
youtube.com/watch?v=o2P0k0sS3j0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Try to find rippletits he should be able to teach you the squat

I lifted at Hyde Park Gym when I was there for grad school - I knew it was the right spot because there's a giant arm doing a curl on it

Some seriously strong, competitor type guys there

Might be able to find someone there

why lowbar

Is that you ? Stance is too wide and you're off balance

Because alan thrall and rippetoe both claim it's the best type of squat for strength.

Yea, it's me. I posted in /plg/ yesterday and got 6+ replies all laughing at me.

It might work for some people but that shit is obviously not helping you. You're going to snap something once you start to put weight on it.

Find what form is more comfortable for you instead of following someone else's word like the bible

lmao

you look like the guy from the virgin routine meme

lmao

lmao

Imao

that position just looks super uncomfortable for you. here's what i'd try
>narrower stance
>higher bar placement
and put your thumbs on the other side of the bar. make your hands look more like the right side of this picture

and stretch more. a lot. every day. hips and hammies, open all that shit up

stance way too wide
wrists are going to die once you put weight on the bar
the bar isnt straight the entire lift
you dont have the mobility for a squat that deep

>tfw slav master race and could high-bar squat ATG heels down without compromising form on my first day
lmaoing at your lives, tracksuitless germanics

It is uncomfortable. Only reason I'm doing it is because of rippetoe. Will try that out, thank you user.

I already said my squat is retarded user.

>Only reason I'm doing it is because of rippetoe
you gotta listen to your body man. if stuff isn't comfortable, change it up. contrary to popular belief on this board, lifting isn't cookie cutter - not every body responds the same way.

that being said, good luck to you. i spent years working on the right mobility for squats cause i spent years sitting at a computer. check out these videos for stretches to open your hips up:

youtube.com/watch?v=dRmT1mja4uk
youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY

we're all gonna make it bro

Hey everyone has to start somewhere man. The Alan Thrall video is pretty good. I am also struggling a bit with it but can give you some really quick tips. Your stance should be narrower, more towards shoulder width or so. Your knees look to be going out towards the direction of your toes - that's great, when you bring your stance in keep doing that. Try doing it in front of a mirror and keeping the bar balanced. Looks as if you might be a little too hunched over too, the bar should travel in a straight line with gravity over mid-foot.

P.S. I'm not American but aren't all those SS dudes based out of Texas? I know it's a huge state but it might be worth making the trip and getting a couple of sessions with one of those guys. I would do it if I was in the States, no SS guys here, in fact no one in my gym seems to squat or deadlift at all

Thank you kind anons. Will do those stretches. Squatting with a narrower stance is practically impossible for me right now.

>no SS guys here
>no one in my gym seems to squat or deadlift at all
Where are you at?

The easiest way to force yourself into the correct squat form is to hold a heavy ass dumbbell with the palms of your hands and elbows at your side, and squat. Just squat. Your body won't let you do it incorrectly or you'll fall over.

Literally never heard of this before. Got any vids of this

Sounds like a goblet squat

Your stance is too wide. Bring in your feet a few inches on each side, and push your knees out. Stand up all the way and stop doing that weird bent-over shit.

You need to do hip and ankle mobility work.

My favourite exercise for opening up your hip: youtu.be/dBTQi5kdfW0?t=52

Watch all of this: youtube.com/watch?v=n3Ci9ANd-jw

Then if you have time you may as well watch part 2 when youve done that
youtube.com/watch?v=o2P0k0sS3j0

Damn the first vid is already helping me out, thank you.

Try lowbar, but with the bar as high as it can be without resting on top of your traps. Keep your stance wide and train with box squats primarily. When squatting without the box, bring your stance in slightly.

Hyde Park Gym near UT, Atomic Athlete near St. Ed's. If you're not a uni student, what part of town are you in?

Yes this would be the dumbbell version of a goblet squat. Just make sure the weight is heavy and you'll feel a natural squat as you move through it.

I'm south austin so I'll probably go to Hyde Park Gym. Any specific PTs you guys rec? I'll be emailing later today.

part 1
>set grip
>set footing
>breathe, brace core
>get under bar, set rack position
>unrack
>walkout
>breathe out

part 2
>breathe in, brace core
>squeeze ass, set eye positon
>squat (more slowly), keep balance midfoot, track knees over ankles
>hit depth, keep balance midfoot, track knees over ankles
>quads and ass all the way out of the hole, keep balance midfoot, track knees over ankles
>breathe out
>repeat part 2 until done and rack

m8y how new to Austin are you? If you're South Austin, you're closer to Atomic Athlete. St. Ed's is on Congress and Woodward, AA is in the warehouse district opposite the university from woodward.

>all these people saying stance is too wide

I have long legs and a short torso, and a super wide stance, basically as wide as in OPs vid, is the only way I can squat while keeping my shoulders up. If I narrow my stance they just turn into good mornings. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes. When you're tall and lanky you basically have three options. Wide stance, narrow stance with a ton of knee travel or narrow stance with a ton of lean.

The problem is that OP does not have the mobility to make use of that wide a stance, hence his knees caving in so badly.

6'5" narrow stance here, GOAT

The bar needs to move straight down and up with as little deviation as possible. Film yourself from the side and experiment with a closer stance.

>hence his knees caving in so badly.

What? They look to be tracking with his knees. There is very slight caving on a couple reps but nothing major

I meant to say tracking with his toes

He's posted more than one form check. The starting webm is better but he's had a couple with that stance where he was just about kneeing himself in the other leg.

Also he's starting to cave on a warmup weight. That's a bad sign for the working sets.

HIGHBAR>LOWBAR

SORRY RIPPLETITS BUT I LOVE THE HIGHBAR SQUAMP

The one is the OP is my working sets. I posted yesterday and took the advice, but still feel that my squat is garbo.

Limerick, Ireland. Don't really see anyone doing any of the SS lifts aside from bench, and there's nowhere to deadlift, which is a pain in the arse. Will probably change gym in the New Year and get a couple PT sessions when I get close enough to my goal weight.

Yeah man your stance is absurdly wide. It should be shoulder width and you are practically in the stance for a sumo deadlift.

maybe try putting some weights on the bar first dipshit

Dude, I understand Mark is an excellent coach for strength training but no you don't have to squat lowbar to make the same gains. I hate that retarded meme, highball works just as well

I'm squatting 135lbs in the webm tho, you just can't see it.

>low bar squatting

do a squat like a normal human bean, the hybrid squat/olympic squat whatever the fuck its called

Best to do less properly than more poorly. Try like 10kg a side and get your form right.

Thank you anons, will do

Hyde Park Gym or Big Tex, those are the only hard core gyms,, if you go to Hyde Park ask for Mark, he is the shit.

put at least 10 or 20 lbs on each side, squatting the empty bar feels awkward as fuck

>you're going below parallel which is not necessary
>stance is too wide, bring it in some. you're almost sumo ffs
>can't see side, but looks like you're looking straight down, look ahead a bit
>down and up should be smooth motion, not lower torso then upper torso movement