Personal trainers, how do you keep your clients?

Personal trainers, how do you keep your clients?
I mean there's only so limited correct info about lifting and programming.

Is it cause the clients become attached to you? But... those clients are wasting $400 monthly so you can get paid $50 monthly, surely you don't consider them friends..

How is this fitness industry even alive?
>$500 for a certification
>usually takes 3 months to study for
>people pay $3000 for a year of training by this person who spent 3 months easy education + $500 test

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colugo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what the hell is that thing?

The personal trainers I know charged per session. One even did group sessions for 10 dollars for an hour session with a 20 person class. That was 200 dollars for one hour.

Do that 4 times a week and you are pretty set.

Most clients aren't self-motivating. Even with all the info (and they aren't going to learn it anyway) they need someone to help keep them at it. That's where the trainer comes in - once you're not a retard at programming 90% of the job is relationship management and sales work.

That said, even very good and dedicated lifters/runners/etc still often rely on coaches because they need an outside perspective. Not many of those getting regular PT sessions mind.

a dyel

what mode is this?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colugo

So mebody invented that animal in like 2012 because i don't remember ever hearing about this.

>how do you keep your clients?

I'm an un-certified personal trainer, but I'll throw in my two cents. Almost everyone I've trained that's stuck with it has done so because they do become attached. Not to me, but to us, for lack of better wording. They could absolutely learn everything I teach them for free on the internet and practice it themselves, but having someone to externally validate them and also just shoot the shit with is way better. It's like how team sports are more fun than just playing by yourself. It's totally true that there's limited info about lifting and programming, but how you teach it matters big time when it comes to someone sticking with you. Have you ever been in school and had something finally "click", and you suddenly enjoyed the lesson or class or whatever? If you're the kind of PT that makes things "click" for people, they'll never leave.

I used to train in a gym that heavily focused on personal trainers, I think I was one of 3 members who didn't take any sessions. I was putting up pretty legit weight and I became friends with a bunch of the trainers, I watched how they conducted classes. This was in an expensive gym in a nicer neighborhood.

A lot of clients were above 40, even 50 or 60. They all had money and none of them were in shape. I didn't see any of them do non-meme lifts or get stronger or even lose fat. Their classes were generally an hour long, and consisted of light bench, flexibility, physical therapy exercises, and the lower impact crossfit shit. The cooldown periods were immense.

The best trainers in there weren't strong, but they were big and pretty cut. They looked and acted alpha, not aggressive but very masculine. Their clients were either women who wanted to fuck them and get out of the house, or older guys who wanted a cool friend.The guys would talk about dates, about their wives, about Trump, all sorts of gay shit. The trainer would laugh at their jokes, punch them on the arm, slap them on the back. They'd say motivating things that rhymed.

It's a customer service job, you're there to clean up weights and be a friend to people who lack confidence in their body. You set long term goals with unspecific targets, and you applaud the slightest achievement as miraculous.

It can be extremely lucrative. Most guys worked 3 or 4 days a week, 4-5 clients a day. I think they split the money 50-50 with the gym, and they got a small hourly salary for running the desk or opening up the space. I think sessions were over 100 a class, in cash. Depending what sort of taxes you pay that can come out to a lot of money, especially if you work elsewhere on your off days.

There’s also educating those new to fitness on things like form that you can’t get from watching YouTube videos.

how do l into programming?

This
Help l want to make money bullying dyels

I think literally any book that explains intermediate training shows how to program

I've been to a personal training conference

It was the silliest basic shits I've ever seen

I was going to sleep soon user

Is that a turtle?

considering doing personal training once i get big enough to look the part

i've taught my friends and my gf how to squat, press and deadlift rippetoe style, but i guess if you were a personal trainer people would just want you to make them do meme lifts right?

Certified PT here. The cert process is very silly and you definitely see a lot of underqualified trainers who just got the very (easy as fuarkk to pass) but defer to knowledge gleaned on some rando thread on BB dot com.

However for people who studied Anatomy and have a vested interest in fitness, it can be fairly easy to keep clients. You just have to cater to the individual, e.g. you aren't going to have Sally, avg 35 y.o. female do anything like benching. She's going to want to be told she can "tone" her muscles and spot reduce. it's a fallacy, but that's what she responds too.
As for the guilt mentioned somewhere in the thread, i don't feel guilty because i believe in the service i provide and have client testimonials to back it up. It's not all programming, a lot genuinely just want encouragement.

Easy:

I’m fun but tough, and I switch it up constantly.

I use fit memes to help explain concepts. I’m very motivating and don’t accept BS excuses. I call them out on stuff but keep it light hearted. They’re always learning from me and I’m always learning.

I strive to improve their performance for each session, for each exercise, for each effort they give.

Fitness is such a huge plethora of many different concepts that it’s easy to keep them because they keep wanting more because fitness can be fun and they learn it with me. It’s the perspective that i give and continue to give.

“Inch by inch is a cinch, yard by yard is too hard” is my mantra and taking things slow helps keep them motivated. Everyone wants to be a shredded sick cunt in a month but I help them realize that fitness is a lifelong endeavor

Sure they could possibly do it on their own but there’s so much for them to handle (literally a full time job without me) that it’s easy for them to keep me around since I take a huge load off of their busy lives.

The biggest thing is priming their brains at the very beginning. They’re so brainwashed with shit they learn from others, and especially the media. I remove all those misconceptions and have them start with a clean slate. This helps get them properly motivated and helps jumpstart the road to real fitness. I start them out real fucking easy and each session we get progressively more difficult. Every single client wants to bench press two plates or run six miles but I start them off as if they’re beginners (because they are).

The first and second week, I show them I know my shit. I show them all the scientific shit and calculate all their vitals/measurements and use that to track their fitness. I find they like it a lot more than just tracking weight. It’s important to show them how fitness really is and that means educating them, not just training them.

t. Personal trainer for eight years

Also: I never have sexual relations with my clients. NEVER. Business is business.

Sorry for the excess cussing, I’m pretty buzzed atm

would you advise PT as a career? Or do you plan on branching off into something else?

here have a squat frog and sleep

>advice pt as a career

It can be very rewarding and fun and the pay is pretty good for how much you work. I find myself driving a lot and would really like having my own place to train at.. I also like how adaptable my schedule is, for the most part. I’m my own boss kind of deal and that’s a plus. I used to work with a PT company but didn’t like it as much. Usually got sent to do adult day care (which is fun in its own right but I prefer 1 on 1). And the community of PTs is kind of shitty. Most of them are dumb meat heads who like to go clubbing but you can easily avoid them.

You can try it and see if you like it. To get certified is a joke and if you already know about fitness and nutrition then you just got to dial in the knowledge but it’s not that hard. A years worth of dedicated learning can easily put you ahead of the curve.

You can find work anywhere as long as you’re attentive. I offer my services to people I believe are committed so you can easily avoid having bad clientele if you want or just train super hot chicks (as long as your communication skills are good). Those PTs that you see training fatties isnt something you HAVE to do, you can do it if you want. I like to train athletes because they really like pushing themselves already and it’s fucking awesome seeing them become the best versions of themselves because of you. I also help out friends of friends.

I’m working on becoming an astronaut. Currently got my degree in ME, and will be enlisting soon to the Air Force to work on becoming a pilot. That’s my next major goal. But if I didn’t have such aspirations, I could easily see myself continuing my life as a PT.

Another thing:

If you’re really motivated, you can secure yourself a PT for some kind of office company. They are willing to invest in the wellbeing of their workers and will give a contract to you to help exercise their employees. The pay is amazing (relatively) but it’s a lot of hard work. I had one contract for this shopping center where all the businesses agreed to having their employees trained (since there was a gym in that same shopping center) and it was one of the hardest gigs of my life. I found myself at the gym all damn day and was exhausted constantly. I had to give it up because I still had school and couldn’t handle the volume.

But if you make it your career, it’s an easy way to secure a steady stream of income.

>defending personal trainers