BARBELL ROW

What's the OPTIMAL way to perfom the BARBELL ROW?

Do you barbell row?

How much do you row?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xxv1DmanOJw
youtu.be/tVoDU4wLcRM
youtube.com/watch?v=G8l_8chR5BE
m.youtube.com/watch?v=qA8DMGsBV8Q
youtu.be/DSchjdfuFaE
youtu.be/GdFiyl40q9w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

for years i was convinced that clean and press was the best way to hit my traps (good pump, solid gains, retains more than other exercises). i just started doing upright rows a few weeks ago and holy motherfuck my traps exploded.

T bar is superior fight me

enjoy your shoulder injury

nah I don't go all the way up like an autist, i keep it barely above a shrug

>tfw I can't stop doing the wrist bending t-rex shit on the last set

i do it laying on my back, on a bench

BB row but with underhand grip is superior

>doing rows over hand
Why are you working out your shoulders op?

why are you not user?

That's because you don't squeeze the bar hard enough, user

You're not gonna make it

Optimal way is a Pendley row.
It's pretty much a backwards bench press. You have to really learn to engage your core and keep tension in your whole body to do it without injuries. But, when you do it's well worth it.

Your pendley row should be a little bit less than your bench. My max bench is about 125kg and my pendley row is 110kg

Everytime I see someone with a 45degree back angle doing a barbell row I cringe. The bar tracking is NOT meant to be diagonal, it's meant to be straight up and down.

Pic related.

Wut?

k bro

heavy big ol' cheaty fuckin' barbell rows

this

Barbell rows are fucking stupid.

Maybe they just suck for me because I have a long torso.

You have to have good mind-muscle connection to really feel it in your back. keep practicing until it feels more natural.

Nice. My pendlay row is only 5lbs less than my bench.

this kek my left wrist always pops and i cant keep it straight

enjoy your bicep tear

>implying I have weak babby biceps or that I row like 4 plates
enjoy your small back

>bench 1RM 240
>Pendlay 5x5 145

Fug DDDD:

this goes for you too

> implying that bicep strength has to do with tearing it
> implying that you're lifting bitch weight not heavy enough to tear your bicep

Lel, it has nothing to do with that. I'd rather do dumbbell rows, cable rows, t-bar rows, or any vertical pull before barbell rows

>bench pressing when you can tear a pec
>mixed grip deadlift when you can tear your bicep
>rows at all when you can hurt your lower back
why not just do yoga bro

So you bench press?

rows are the only way to get a thicc back like eric. you might have a wide back from all your goofy lat exercises and pull ups but only rowing can give you a thicc barn door back

youtube.com/watch?v=Xxv1DmanOJw

Wow, you're absolutely fucking retarded.

Biweekly reminder that you should row the same weight that you bench press.

sup babbyback

Im a t bar guy. Main reason is regular barbell row fucks with my wrists. If they're too close it feels weird and painful when it's close to the chest, moving out wider doesn't help as then I have no strength and it still feels awkward as fuck. T bar all the way, plus I can do close, neutral and wide grip. 165x5 for now

is the wide grip or the neutral grip better on the t bar?

Your body works in different ways. You can hit a muscle from different angles.

Hahahahahahaha
No

Rekt

What do you boys think about dumbbell rows? I'm the only person at my gym that does them but I think I'm stronger than all the dude doing barbell. Not sayin it's better but it's been working well for me after switching to it from barbell.

youtu.be/tVoDU4wLcRM
Love me some Kroc rows

Do both user. And add in some machine rows every now and then.

The bicep tendon is strengthened over months and years of weight training you dolt. Just takes much longer time scales than the muslce tissue.

I wear wrist wraps and squeeze the shit out of the bar to mitigate that popping, works most of the time but I've been struggling to avoid it ever since I started going heavier

140 lb 5x5, exactly like your pick. Not quite all the way to the floor for the stretch, arch back to keep straight, look straight ahead. Control weight, explode up, focus on traps and back.

i'm gripfluid.

Hmm, I've never tried it underhand... I already hit biceps... I'll have to try this and see if it hits my back harder.

Bradley?

Linking a picture of a old roid bro doing pseudo upright rows does not prove that it's a mechanically sound exercise...

ITT: bitch boys with scrawny little backs who bitch about form while rowing bitch weight with shitty bitch form.

You're right about the body working from in different way. However, bar tracking at 45 degrees is a mechanically poor way of overloading a muscle.

Look at it this way..draw a line directly under the weight when you're looking at it from the side, this line represents gravity.
Your centre of balance has to be down this line in order for you to lift the max amount of weight and therefore overload the muscles properly.

If the bar is moving at 45 degress (perpendicular to a 45 degree torso) then your centre of balance is shifting at every point in the movement and your focus shifts from moving the weight to keeping balanced.

If you're having problems with visualizing this, consider lifting a weight above your head (i.e. OHP). You cannot lift nearly as much if you're holding the weight in front of your head at an angle.

If you must track at an extreme angle, don't use a bar, do some T-bar rows or supported T-bar rows, at least there the bar has a set tracking along a set plane of movement

>few weeks ago
>seeing gains

i thought it was you should row more than you bench

You might be conflating two different things. People say that your bench and row should be roughly the same strength-wise for balance (this breaks down at upper levels but it's a good estimate for most people) but also that most people should do more rowing volume than benching since the average lifter is seriously kyphotic and anterior dominant.

pendlay row

Been at it for a month now and this is the one lift where I cannot do the fucking form properly please kill

ALSO HOW TO BYPASS CAPTCHA JESUS FUCK

If you're just interested in the barbell row as an assistance exercise to deadlift, it has highest specificity if you perform a deadlift from the floor to produce momentum, and then to yates row the bar to you.

however you want as long as it's with good form. the back is a huge area to work and different rows hit it at different angles.

I prefer a normal bet over barbell row for its general targeting of the back.

What's optimal is what you can perform with a neutral spine and good form.

nice quarter reps...

Hex bar master race. Can go up to 3 pl8

>that
>pseudo upright row

Nigga dyel

Not even that, he deadlifts it up with a straight arm then drops his shoulder quickly into a quarter rep position. Basically, a quarter rep negative. Probably the dumbest thing I'll see here in a month.

>What's the OPTIMAL way to perfom the BARBELL ROW?
Depends on personal leverages, what you are trying to achieve with barbell rows and the level of your own proprioception.

Alrighty then, I'm 6'1" and my goal is to make pointed part of my back wider to enter fridge mode.

So you just rake a loaded barbell over your nuts?

Nice shrug bro

Genetics, you might or might not be able to make any progress there. Part is muscle, part is tendon. The ratio can vary.

Also, lats are a very thin muscle. In the bottom half, they are being pushed out by erectors, and in the top part by trapezius (closer to the spine) and teres major and serratus (closer to the arm). So you're not actually seeing what you think you are seeing.

Basically, for what you want you're gonna need erectors and genetics. Obliques too, if you actually want fridge mode.

no, i use gravity to bring it down, then row it back up

should try snatch grip shrugs

Don't upright row. That movement is literally how you test for injury in PT, you shouldn't put weight on it. Do pendlay rows, dumbbell rows, any row but that.

>using your biceps to row and not your back
spotted the dyel

do you have shit genetics? i started lifting 3 weeks ago and already gained 10 pounds and see a huge difference

thank you Alan for showing us how it's done

youtube.com/watch?v=G8l_8chR5BE

i do BB rows as the main compound movement with DB rows just as an accessory i guess. I enjoy it well enough

Riddle me this:
How much can I cheat on my rows while still doing them decently?? Often times when I move the weight up I feel like I can't really get it up to my body.

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish and how much work you do with the negative.

Front lever rows
m.youtube.com/watch?v=qA8DMGsBV8Q

is a 45 kg DB row all right for 6 months of lifting? 190 cm and 92 kg, about 13% bf.

>a little less than you bench

>50kg row
>85kg bench

ruh roh

My gym has some shit like this, should I even approach it ever?

it's the reverse benchpress, perfect way to work on the positive part of the movement

Try pulling the bar with your wedding ring finger.

>he doesn't know about cheat rows

Lots of black/white reasoning going on in this thread. Classic Veeky Forums.

I think I do barbell rows in like 5 different ways. Wouldn't say one way is necessarily superior to another.

you guys must be JACKED. and I mean friggin solid thick n tight. moreso than this guy since you know more.
youtu.be/DSchjdfuFaE

I know Kroc rows are supposed to be done with a bit of momentum, but come on. The fact that you're using about the same weight as Matt Kroczaleski himself while being half his size should tell you that you're being a delusional idiot. Not a single rep was done there.

He used two fitty and I was doing this as a last burnout. Either way my lats were never more sore than after seriously, offensively bad form kroc rows. After doing 120x50 my lats felt like they got clawed through. After this lats were just as if not more sore. I've done strict back movements (perfect form weighted pull-ups) and slightly less strict movements (barbell rows) for about 2 years and none compare to the sloppy form one arm rows. In fact, B4 I did 120x50 I one arm tbar rowed 6 plates with form that would probably upset you. Worse than:
youtu.be/GdFiyl40q9w

Fair enough. If it works for you... Personally I find that if I go heavier than about 70% of my BW on dumbbell rows, it starts feeling shitty. Or rather, I don't feel anything.
I also prefer taking every rep from a deadstop on the floor. Makes it easier to control how much or how little cheat you want instead of having the set deterioate as you go.

Wtf is that?

[spoiler]on your favorite machine[/spoiler]

Can confirm. Actually got a spinal injury from this movement

>10lbs
>estimated 3500 kcal/lb
>35,000 kcal surplus in 21 days
>eating an extra 1,667 calories a day

That's a lot of fat. Muscle just don't grow that fast.

babby put on some water weight and thinks he's huge

its good bro try and do db rows for high reps

ITT: plebs who don't seal row

Enjoy being backlets

Regarding hand position.

I hurt my back lifting 405 DL and I used it as a chance to start a high-volume approach to SL5x5.

I bring this up because I use an alternate grip on my 3x10 after my 5x5 sets, so I'll do a pronated 5x5 barbell row and a supinated 3x10.

why the fuck are u shrugging the bar

bump

lmao what teh fuck are you talking about

kek, tell me about it. I bench about 75 kg and DB row 45

upright rows cause shoulder impingement you knob

I love that machine