/plg/ - powerlifting general

Welcome to /plg/, the powerlifting general. Intended for becoming a better athlete on the platform, but welcoming to all strength sports.

Post about PRs, training, meet prep, and anything else related to strength!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Mkhj0P3Nsw&t=5s
youtu.be/x522dB-4y2w?t=26s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>first day of work yesterday
>long trip to do a demo at a small college planetarium
>all I ate was some cereal at ~0930, some cookies at the presentation around 1600, and some pad thai around 1900
>second day today
>cereal again at 0930
>lunch at 1400 was a small sandwich

The job is really fun, but jesus fucking christ, I don't know how these people survive like this. I need to figure this shit out, because it's only been two days, and I'm already developing a temper like a light switch because of being hungry all the time.

Also, I got a bill in my email from the government the same day I got employed. They didn't even wait for me to get a paycheck. Idiots.

>WAWTT
>WAWET
>WAWLTT
>WAWFT

Best 3-4 day programs for weekly, early intermediate gains? Prefer full body or upper/lower.

Samefagging.

>WAWTT

DB incline bench, DB overhead press, behind-head tricep extensions (not sure what they're actually called), t-bar rows, and a lat machine I haven't tried before.

>WAWET

Not enough, as discussed.

>WAWLTT

Amon Amarth, Senses Fail, and Rise Against.

>WAWFT

I was having a lot of fun until I got hungry.

TM, Madcow, and Cowboy Method all fit that description. Hepburn is pretty popular here, too.

>bench went well today
>every rep went where it was supposed to
>leg drive timed P E R F E C T
>probably won't have another training session this good for a month
I should just kill myself before it all goes wrong right? there's just no way that things get any better than they went today

My brother. I had the exact same thing recently and now I'm terrified to bench again because I know I'll be weaker and my form will be bad and it will crush my new found confidence

Tummy tuck recovery user here
Hit 315 for a single today on Deadlifts and stopped. Back wasn't as tight as it used to be, felt it round off and decided it was a good stop to 515.
What are some good accessory workouts to deadlifts to help get that back strength?

where were you when you realized your genetics are not up to par and you will never be the man you dreamed of being when you first started lifting

4 years in and hasn't happened yet

I'm 6'6" and can lift a lot of weight.
All I need to do is drop weight and I will be fine.

>Timing leg drive
Shiggy diggy doo

Well, if you kill yourself, then you won't be able to get the next really good session.

I like to think that one of the long-term goals of training is to drive up the percentage of sessions that feel really good like that one did. So maybe as a beginner, one in ten sessions feels perfectly on-point, but as an expert, you can manage to get eight or nine in ten to feel just right.

I don't know your story, so I'm hesitant to recommend certain things. What exactly do you need?

I realized that I was starting at a disadvantage on the day I stepped into a gym for the first time and couldn't pull a plate. You just have to try to do the best you can with the hand you're dealt.

I can't tell if I'm just fat or my rear delts are under developed. From the side I have a large tricep head but seemingly no back part to my deltoid

My only row I do are close grip seated rows and chin-ups

Is it under developed? What should I do? Its like its not even there at all.

Just to add though, I do btn press, which I thought hits the entire deltoid head?

its made even worse because I had the most satisfying pump in my triceps and now it's completely fucking gone. I never really train for a pump, but it felt so good and now it's gone.

>resigned to be forever bench GDE

I don't really understand. What's the problem? Are you concerned about the size of the muscle for aesthetics purposes?

Keep in mind that a lot of people expect the rear delt to be further back than it actually is. It could just be the angle you're using in the mirror.

I lost 210 pounds, got a tummy tuck like 8 weeks ago, and have started back up in the gym.
I have 6 months to get as strong as I can, while also losing fat to help get my ass into the Navy.
I used to DL 515 for a single, but have not been in the gym like I was before the surgery for obvious reasons.
Today was my first day doing deadlifts again. Previously, I had done Bench and then Squats in front of my trainer, both for the first time after surgery, so I could do it safely. Today being the first day I both felt good enough and was meeting him, we thought it was a good idea to try to go as heavy as possible on deadlifts and then work over my diet and workout plans (which I can share if needed)
I was only able to get up to a 315 for a single, but I felt, and he commented on, my back rounding out on the top portion of the lift. My back has become weaker, so I am looking for good accessory workouts to help me gain that strength back.

Am I missing anything?
/blogpost over

I don't know man, it always feels to me, if I time the coordination of my leg drive and the press itself, the whole lift comes together better than if I try to leg drive then press.
it's true. gonna try really hard to get my bench feeling as tight and organized as it felt today

>He doesn't leg drive the entire time

Purely just aesthetics at this point because its the only part of my body I an unhappy with.

I apologise for the awful picture, but do you see how his triceps seem to merge with his rear delt?
Mine is like that.

Picture 2 is what I feel like it should look like

See how his tricep "trucks underneath" his deltoid?

That's what I want :?

negate this

So much this. I was amazed how much more I could bench by moving my feet (uncomfortably) a little bit more back too

I was so tight I had to forcefully pull my hips down the entire time to keep my ass in contact with the bench, but my press was incredibly strong and stable.

Oh, ok. Congrats on the weight loss, man.

Was it your lower back rounding? It could be caused by your upper back collapsing (due to not enough lat strength or a bad setup) and no longer supporting the lumbar, which is pretty common, but I can't say if I haven't seen it.

You wouldn't happen to have a video, would you? I'm not going to ask you to post it (though I'll take a look if you do), but if you have one, check to see what your back looks like during the setup, if it changes during the lift, and how it changes.

Oh, I see. Yeah, that guy in the second picture has weirdly-shaped and huge rear delts.

I guess just do some bodybuilding work for it and see what happens?

Idk how 2 grow big muscles only just get strong

Thanks, I think it was my upper back rounding. It might have just been my set up, I could have rushed it.

Bodybuilding sets. Lots, and lots of working the rear and mid delts to make them pop.
Bent over dumbell flys are a great way to target the third part of the deltoid.

Bring the muscle to (or near) failure for multiple sets once or twice per week. Doesn't really matter how you do it from a growth perspective; there are people like Schwarzenegger who train with high volume and make it work, and there are people like Yates who train with one all-out set (plus stuff like drop sets and forced reps) and make it work.

So for example, you could just do sets of ten until you can't hit ten reps anymore. Or you could do four sets to (or near) failure with just whatever reps you get. Or you could do rest-pause sets (fifteen breaths between a total of three sets) if you don't want to spend a lot of time on it.

There are a million ways to do it. I'd avoid going heavy on rear delt isolations, though, since it's such a small muscle. It'll be easy both to cheat and to accidentally snap something.

The important thing to aim for is progression. You need to be doing more weight or more reps if you want to make a muscle grow.

Yeah, that'll do it. I always have problems with back tightness if I don't take the time to set up right.

What's should I do from here?
I hit a huge bench PR and it wasn't much of a grinder at all either.

I don't know where to go from here in order to preserve my new max however.

I'm thinking of dropping by 10kg and doing 3x5?

Ok, kids, I'm going to bed. I tried really hard to make this thread start off well, so can you guys try to keep it in good shape for when I wake up?

Here's a picture of KK that you can put on other pictures. Use it wisely.

Did you have a diastasis repair?

No, just removal of extra skin and a little bit of lipo. 13 pounds of skin was removed, I think they said 7 pounds of fat.

I had a tummy tuck and diastsis repair 2 years ago after losing 150 lbs. I was back in the gym after 4 weeks. If I could do it again i'd take things more slowly with the heavy squats and deadlifts. The diastasis repair failed after a few months.

I'm never gonna bench again
GDE arms have got no rhythym
Though its easy to squat and dead
Its still part of my total

Should have known better than to call it quits
And waste the pump that I've been given
So I'm never gonna bench again
The way I benched with yooooouuu

I was told since I was active to lose that weight, without anything happening to my stomach, that I would not need the repair.
Plus I waited the full 6 weeks to really return to the gym and have taken it slow so far. Just looking now to start getting back into the groove of things.

Do face pulls everyday desu

Did anyone's arm grow? I know mines definitely did not

>mfw same quad insertions as Frog

where do I pick up my talent chad card?

after you reach 250kg squat at 17yo

Took a 2 year break and got fat af. Started lifting again in 2015 and just hit ALL my comeback goals over the past month!
500 high bar walked out Oly squat in knee sleeves
325 paused bench
700 conventional pull
225 strict overhead from the front rack.

405 front squat would be cool but I'm only at 385 right now.
All weighting less than 200lbs

Vids?

>and Rise Against.
My nigger

Blevins, son. 3/4 day FB depending on how you handle recovery and flexible workout days. Deus vult.

I realise you probably get this asked a lot in here about SS. Haven't lifted for a while so I'm trying to be consistent. I know this will no longer become SS. 79kg bw, 1rm: 80kg bench, 60kg ohp, 150kg dl, 95kg squat

1. If I'm replacing power cleans, would RDLs be a suitable alternative?

2. Would you rather do dips on bench or ohp days?

3. Is it worth it to add curls, lateral raises, rows or ab work?

4. Should I keep alternating sq/bn/dl with sq/ohp/pc or just fix it as 2x a week benching always?

1. Rows; it's in the fucking program
2. It's in the fucking program
3. Yes
4. Benching is better because OHP is not a competition lift. Add reverse flies or lateral raises if you're going to bench twice a week.

Rows are in SS now?

Pendlay rows have always been the replacement for cleans in the program. Cleans are recommended by Rip but not mandatory. That being said, cleans are trash and you should always be doing rows over them.

>should always be doing rows over them.

>>not doing another pull more specific to deadlift

>specificity in a general strength novice program
Calm down lad, that comes later.

Specificity is overrated, especially for beginners.

Oh thanks, I swear that every forum post I read by Rip, kept going on about how rows were not a good substitution for cleans etc. and I thought the rows for cleans was a reddit thing or something.

Where are dips in the program or where are they recommended to be added?

I'm reading such awful awful advice right now but I just woke up and I'm too tired to help you idiots out

Didn't rip say in his video about rows that they were not a replacement for clean?

>deadlift specificity
>power cleans
Even if it was worth doing zero horizontal pulls and having no lats so that you can do a deadlift accessory, it would still be retarded. Power cleans however, are not a deadlift accessory, so they're double retarded.
No idea I never have and never want to hear him speak I just read what is written down.

>the rows for cleans was a reddit thing or something.
they are. but if you ask powerlifters, ofc they're gonna shill rows over a semi-olympic lift.
on the flipside, Rip is a bit dogmatic with his stuff anyway so ymmv.

he says that everywhere.

>Where are dips in the program
SS says theyre an accessory exercise. Imo it requires too much resources for proper recovery when doing vanilla SS.
also in his recent video, Rip says that if you have shoulder problems or weakness, you shouldn't do dips.

>Power cleans however, are not a deadlift accessory
Wasn't referring to cleans as a deadlift accessory. Was only saying that rather than cleans or rows just do a DL accessory. But then I missed that he was "restarting" as a novice, so no point.

So why the fuck would you add specificity to SS unless you were modifying the program to remove specificity in the first place?

So I’m reading this book about endurance and it’s a pretty good book but something keeps itching at the back of my skull.

This military ‘tactical athlete’ guy claims to have been 4-5% with just unde 3pl8 Bench along with the other aforementioned stats.

Is that even possible? I thought 4-5% was really, REALLY low, when bodybuilders are starving before a show or something. It makes me question the legitimacy of his other claimed stats.

Thoughts?

While technically possible, it's far more likely that he simply eyeballed his BF% and fucked it up like most people do. The average person genuinely believes that stage-ready bodybuilders are 0-1% fat.

The form on his bench may well have been equivalent. Or might not.

What game lads?

Programming to win PIP1
I meal prep for 3 days on Sunday night, for 2 days on Wednesday night and on Saturday and Sunday morning I cook for their respective day

Anyone who believes they're 5% bodyfat can't be trusted to relay their stats

highly modded civ v

Extremely poor taste, is this a joke?
Age of empires 2 or Pokémon gsc or platinum or white or white 2

>poor taste
>aoe2 and pokemon
Wow

What mods? I've only played vanilla

try community balance patch

stop playing video games

No

Bow to my battlestation

some simple DUP with weekly LP

despite all of your negative self-talk it's nice to see that you're still proud of your powerlifting accomplishments (as you should be) :)

hes probally not lying but he very likely measured it wrong or eyeballed it

>Tweak back most likely minor herniation
>Rest 1 week
>Back feeling good
>Go squat take it easy and only do 3x155 kg
>Slight tightness in back and some 1/10 discomfort side of leg however able to squat and bend down fine
>Alright let's do hangs and decompress
>Tightness and discomfort disappear
>Try to bend down 2-3/10 pain
What the fuck I thought decompression did good shit?

I got super tight sciatic and tibial, makes me have a little knee pain + Its hard to get to good position in dl

what do you guys do for mobility for them?

Here is what you said
>Injured back
>Hang my fat ass from a bar using my weak and compromised back
>Experience discomfort
>Why?
Doesn't it sound silly?

>tight sciatic and tibial
wut does this mean

yes tibia is the shinbon and sciatic is a nerve so you have tight shinbone muscle and some nerve pain in ur leg?

He's just mad he's not a PhD.

Thanks for the replies, senpaitachi.

How do I repay?

Literally everybody says to do hangs for back pain, also I wasn't doing chin ups why would hanging with two belts under my pits cause pain ?

ree translator translates kulszowo-goleniowy as sciatic and tibial :(

kulszowo-goleniowy is other translated as dwugłowe aka hamstrings

so I got tight hamstrings which cause knee pain and bad dl position

there could be a million reasons why you experienced more pain after you hung. Its hard to tell without having seen what you did

i know for a fact that locking the knees and bending down causes issues in the back if you have disc issues. Maybe your legs were bent the first time you tried. See what im saying

weighted hangs do help guaranteed guy

youtube.com/watch?v=1Mkhj0P3Nsw&t=5s

do this

i drive upto 8 hours a day and do that before every session, back pain and stiffness melts away

youtu.be/x522dB-4y2w?t=26s
+stretching

Have to start applying for engineering placements soon and I'm so painfully average with no accomplishments. This is really making me depressed. I don't think I'll get any job offers.

Gonna skip lifting feelsbadman

talking about back pain;

I was stretching my hips the other day. I was doing regular hip flexor stretches because i know these help with back issues. But for some reason I thought of doing a couch stretch which is pic related.

The difference is the knee flexion which also stretches the fuck outta the Rectus femoris which is the 2 jointed quad muscle. And goddamn these were tight as fuck. I'd like to think that im pretty mobile but this tightness was insane

after stretching this muscle i immediately felt some relief in the hips after standing up. Start doing this stretch

Gonna try this next time
m8 it's hanging from a fucking bar feet straight and letting air out and I made sure to use two belts to avoid activating back muscles and grip issues it's not rocket science

Funnily enough atlas stones always sorted my back out shame I had to move cities

ye I wanted to do on regular bar what Dmitry is doing on dips bar

basically some stuff from starrett Im just wondering is it ok

>tfw shit lifts
>tfw brainlet
>tfw physical and mental gde

im gonna fail my exam and end up with debt and nothing to show for it because i'm a weak stupid dumb autist who never made any friends in uni to ask for help I think this is it guys, killing myself in the gym tomorrow with bench press guillotine

Nice blog

Yeah bitches, competition time tomorrow. Hoping to hit 237,5-150-260

Thanks user :)

I try to be proud quietly.

What weight class/division/fed?

Good luck boy. Those are good numbers.

Guys I need a shoulder to cry on
May's top sets:
Squat: 142.5 x 4
Bench: 102.5 x 6
Deadlift: 162.5 x 5
Chinups: 12
BW: 87 kg
Yesterday's top sets:
Squat: 90 x 6
Bench: 70 x 6
Deadlift: 120 x 4
Chinups: 6
BW: 93 kg
What should I do to feel less depressed?

S-T-R-O-N-G

Realise that every shitty workout right now is a step on the path to being less shitty.

I dunno what happened to knock you that far back but there's only one cure.

Why the fuck happened. Did you come down with post viral fatigue syndrome?

YEAH BOYYYY MAX EFFORT LOWER

Anderson squats from straps

do you also use bands and the other gay stuff on dynamic days

dont have a way to utilise bands in my garage and i dont think i need them yet

How do you do your DE work? Just straight weight on the comp exercises or do you use some variations and/or accommodating resistance?

so youre doing westside without all the bands and stuff and its working so far?