Get fit with physical job?

Is it possible to get fit with a physical job? No time in the gym or any extra effort. Just getting a physical job like construction or working in a lumberyard.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z5KYZ74OAak
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Construction work does not build muscle. It just wears you out, making it harder to hit the gym, and triples your fast food intake.

>no change to diet
better than nothing, but without a proper diet you'll never really improve

How so? Don't you just haul heavy shit around all day? Isn't a gym just a place to replicate the physical jobs we used to do?

the warehouse guys at my work are mostly fat. so I doubt it.

I'm an arborist and I'm pretty jacked

No

I'm a farmer and do a lot of manual labour but it doesn't really compare to the gym. It is great for keeping your bf low, but it only helps to build muscles to a certain point. It can't compare to actual weight training/progressive overload.

So the idea that our ancestors were all jacked AF while being farmers and craftsmen is a meme?

>source: my asshole

If you eat well instead of just eating fast food and beer like most labourers you will stop being a fatty at least, but you aren't going to get swole from your job unless you are a fucking olde time smith or something, and even that is just going to be certain muscles.
t. ag labourer

you could probably get to ottermode with it. The hard part would be finding a diet that works around beer as a primary source of carbs.

This.
>Worked demolition and home renovation out of school
>5 months
>3 herniated discs
>left leg paralyzed
>1 year of physical therapy and chronic pain
>im 20
>still pain but all feeling in my left leg is back
>still no job cause of pain
>Hitting the gym keeps me from suicide
Its not worth it user just go to the gym and learn a trade.

Really doesn't do much for you. I've done physical work for years and started going to the gym a month ago. My strength gains are already noticeable. You need to do proper weight training to make significant strength/muscle mass gains.

>Isn't a gym just a place to replicate the physical jobs we used to do?

No, not really at all.

I worked as a plumber helper for 6 weeks as a part of a apprenticeship and Jesus Christ.
I tried to lift on top of digging and pickaxing 10 hours a day and I had to break my fullbody into a barebones upper/lower.

If you're used to it, you'll recover faster. There are plenty of heavy lifters on construction sites. Though they're not the peons.

Plumbers who work with a lot of gas lines tend to have juicy arms too, and a damn good grip.

No because most tasks have an easier way to be done than 100 years ago.

Yes on the fast food.

>warehouse work
That shit isn't real labor sorry bro

I've done warehouse, iron work, appliance delivery, and city water department utility work, and all those jobs do is get your body good at doing those jobs. You can be fat as fuck and do those jobs. Lifting will make those jobs a lot easier.

But I've never seen a fat iron worker if that helps.

You're right about fast food intake in only the most general sense.

It's a lot about discipline, as it is with most things.

I spent 7 years in oil field work and got stronger than I have ever been in my entire life. That strength that carried with me years later. Add a little discipline and you don't gain much fat.

It is wildly easy to fall into a trap where you eat and drink more than you need to, though.

Think of Conan's Wheel of Pain from the movie. youtube.com/watch?v=z5KYZ74OAak

How old are you? I did construction all through hs and college, went to the gym daily..teaches discipline, as for fast food, brought my own healthy lunch and snacks..but then again the guys I worked with all lifted weights and the owner was a college fb player & wrestler in his day and major supporter

Not really. Your forearms will be jacked in a few years, though.

no. a gym is a place to push against your limits continuously so as to force physical adaptation. manual labor jobs you get strong enough to perform well enough and stop progressing. after a certain point it stops being an adaptive stimulus and just becomes grueling day in day out toil

I started framing 3 months ago. I lost 18 lbs. Don't do construction if you want to make any gains at all.

37 yr old construction worker here (electrician now but I used to work with glass and framing as well). You can lift and work this job, hell I actually got kind of fat at one point. Here is the thing though, its really rough on your joints. It might not always be heavy lifting, but it is a lot of repetitive motions that wear you out. There are times when you simply cant get a machine into the area to dig for you and then you gotta go down in the hole and dig for a day or 2 or 3 ect. That shit is really tough on the body. I see people in their 50s 60s still doing this work, but not many. If anything I would tell you that you had better plan to be something more than just a construction worker. You should plan to find a way to move into the office side of things or something a bunch gentler on the body cause most arent going to last into their 50's 60's. That and the fact that accidents happen. Lets be honest, 50% of the workers are fucking retards, they dont think and shit happens to good people all the time. I rarely see framers much past their 50's.. being a sparky I do see quite a few that last into their 60's, glass guys mostly wear out in their 40's, drywallers stay to their 40-50's, painters seem to last into their 50-60's(usually brain dead at that point though), hvac and plumbers make it into their 50's too. Here is the thing, social security doesnt kick in until you are 67 right now, by the time you are that age it will be higher... how are you going to save money on scraps, because construction doesnt pay well anymore now that mexicans have come in and will take the job for half of a normal wage, be it on purpose or by being taken advantage of. What you gonna do in your 60's with a broken body and possibly lack of 401k and savings that just didnt amount to much? ok end rant. GL kid

TL:DR bitter old guy realizes his future sucks and trys to save dumb kids from making the same mistakes before its too late.

I don't know where you are but in the Seattle area business is booming. I'm the framer from above, I made 19 grand in my first 3 months. There's definitely still money to be made in construction.

19k... so maybe if you keep that pace with OT and work doesnt dry up in the winter you make what 75k this year? That is chump change and it wont be that good every year. Are you old enough to remember the housing bubble? When that shit happened some people were out of work for years... Its happened before and it will happen again. Work always slows down, sure its good times now but that cant last forever... Or maybe you can follow the money and go live in the man camps.. I hear male on male rape is statistically lower than prison.

That was basically for training, I'm already starting to make more. I'm not planning on staying there forever, but I definitely want to cash in on it while it's still around

Absolutely. Think about their nutrition too.

Was a brick layers labourer for 2 years
I'm a military man now and I've done some incredibly hard shit in my time but nothing will ever compare to those 2 years
It wasn't a matter of getting fit from slinging weights around
It was a matter of watching my body slowly fall apart as a slip into depression because all I fucking do is work and drink to escape from working
I've never seen a man work in a physical job like that and make it to the age of 50 without some serious fucking muscular skeletal issues

thats kind of how you get trapped user. You get used to the pay you are making and think its great, so when you start falling apart you look into jumping to something else only to realize you will have to start over again and cant afford those thing.... dont get me wrong you can make enough money to support yourself and a family, but its not really enough in the long run.

Was actually going to make this thread.

Started a physical labor job that's pretty damn tough on the body and have some diet questions.

Ive been lifting for 5 months and cutting because I'm fat, I'm still fat and would like to continue lifting and losing wiehgt with this new strenuous job.

Should I still be cutting calories? Eating at tdee? Lowering my cut?

Really any advice would be appreciated.

Construction worker here too, well, on the easier side, because I'm a painter, but we do it on an industrial size, that mean we paint the steel structure of gigant warehouses, or factories, that being build, and there isn't always machines to move the steel for us, so most of the time we have to move the smaller ones by hand(300kgs up to 1t, it seems much, but we only have to usually rotate these on the ground, so we can paint all the sides, and if we have to move, we move it as a group of 5-6 people). The only noticeable gains were on my forearm, and mainly not the visible gains, but the pure strength. I didn't have a big forearm back then, but had the grip strength of a demigod. On the aesthetics, I'd say you can see gains here and there, but more like a bearmode, because construction workers have bad eating habits, and they don't work the whole body, only some parts. Me on the other hand trying to eat healthy, but visible gains occurred after I started to workout, because even if we lift heavy at the construction sites, its not constant, and not in a controlled way, like when you are at the gym. And as the other guys said, it ruins your joints pretty soon, my colleagues have aching back and knee, and they are only 35-40 years old man.
I didn't change my diet, still on cut. Currently doing 20-4 IF, but I'm in this field for years, so I'm used to the hard work and don't have an issue if I don't eat. Just make sure to stay hydrated, that is the most important thing for me, because I sweat a lot.

Carpenter/Timber framer here. In the best shape of my life currently at the age of 24. The construction trade will without a doubt make a man of you. They do say that this is a young mans game however, as it's a killer on the joints.

I tired to make a 4-5 day gym routine work but my body just couldn't handle it. Hopped on 200mg testosterone per week, best decision i've ever made.

I got some really good cardio being a server.
The restaurant I worked in was really busy all the time.
Working 10-12 hour shifts and I was constantly walking, jogging or picking something up, but people treat you like shit.

this is similar to the kind of body you could expect. You'll get big forearms working construction but you'll have a lot of muscles that get under developed. It's pretty hard to activate your chest by carrying timber.

Finish carpenter here, probably the least demanding job that you can still call construction while still doing work. It's really only a good way to burn calories, not build muscle, and it's a good way to hurt yourself. Pretty much everyone I work with develop's a contractor's gut because they overeat and are too tired to properly work it off after a 10hr day. You will probably only see gains if you didn't lift before.

Money is good though, currently.

In a laborers Union....honestly it won't make you buff, but it drops pounds like no other. I've lost 30 pounds in 2 months....and eating whatever I want.

Oh and it builds crazy endurance, you'll be doing one thing and then switch to another movement and so on, it works out your central nervous system.... What I hate is warm body sensation, almost makes you feel like your getting sick.

You will be very strong, great endurance, but not jacked

I work contruction. 6 years now.
Your joins hurt and you build some kind of strength, but i feel just tough in a way because nerve and joins are fucked up, like metal hit me and it doesn't hurt as much. I burn and it doesn't hurt. Dead skin in my head and shit like that. Yeah you lift heavy stuff. But is not like the progress at the gym. Plus you get fucking hungry for. Real life hard labor. And I eat a lot. I am not overweight or far, nor I am skinny. Just normal.