Hypertrophy routine for beginners?

I've tried lifting for strength, but it's just not motivating. I don't care how much weight is on the bar and I can't convince myself otherwise.

What's the best routine for gaining muscle size?

I'm looking at alpha destiny's beginner program, but my set up doesn't work for box squats or floor press (as weight increases).

Other urls found in this thread:

jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/03/07/considerations-for-beginners/
europepmc.org/abstract/med/11828249
journals.lww.com/ajpmr/Citation/1979/06000/Neural_Factors_Versus_Hypertrophy_in_the_Time.1.aspx
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4562558/
elitefts.com/education/under-the-bar-9-week-basic-training-program/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump for interest

> allpro beginners (3 day week)
> candito lp strength/hypertrophy version (4 day week)
> reddit ppl (6 day week)

any of these will work great for hypertrophy

sure, your strength would increase faster doing SS or some sort of 3x5 instead of any of these, but frankly who cares

at the end of 1 year of lifting you will be pretty much on the same place you would with 6 mo of SS strength-wise, but way better looks-wise

Thanks, looking them up now.

Ditch the compound movements. They are bullshit for hipertrophy. Look on youtube some bodybuilder program.

Any rogram that trains muscles twice a week with a lot of volume. At least 12 sets per muscle group, per week.

Am I risking muscle tears doing this many sets? Im natural btw if that matters for this.

couple sets to failure 35-70 reps per movement. rest 4-8 days and repeat

No you dont. If you train a muscle twice a week it means 6 sets for each muscle in a workout.
You can achieve this with an upper/lower, Push/Pull or 3 split.

But the more you split up your body the more days you have to spend in the gym. WIth a 3 split you will have to train 6 days a week to train each muscle twice a week.
With a 2 split you have to train 4 days a week.
A full body workout you train 3 times a week, but it can be difficult to get enough volume in each workout, If muscle size is your only goal.

This program seems pretty legit
jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/03/07/considerations-for-beginners/

you're welcome

no
you want not to think too much about this
just pick one of those programs and follow it for 1 year
and keep a eye on diet for godsake
counting macros, eating just a bit over your tdee, make adjustments in small steps
do not fall for "hard bulk" "dirty bulk" "hard cut"
meme shit, else you won't see gains

>reddit ppl (6 day week)
>literally ends after squatting 1.5pl8s

Pick a better programme OP

if you can't get excited about adding weight to the bar you'll never be big and muscluar period, this entire thread is delusion

>jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/03/07/considerations-for-beginners/
that's pretty much allpros without curls and extra hamstrings
not bad, but honestly there are better options aesthetic-wise... there's no need to keep reinventing the wheel like those jtsstrength, bodybuilding.com, muscleandstrength.com etc does

btw, one I forgot to mention was arnold golden 6, which is also pretty decent for noob gains, but then again, very similar to allpros beginner

Haven't seen the allpros beginners program. Got a link?

im interested. tell me more about this

A:
4x5 Squat
4x12 Bench
3x8-12 Pullups
3x8-12 tricep
4x8-15 lat raise
2x15-20 abs exercise 1

B.
4x5 Deadlift
3x8-12 Lunges
4x8-12 seated arnold press
3x8-12 pullup
3x8-12 tricep
2x15-20 abs exercise 2

C.
4x5 front squat
3x12 bench
3x12 fly
3x12 incline bench
4x15 curl
4x8-15 lat raise
2x15-20 abs exercise 1

D.
3x6-8 p.rows
3x12 hyperextension
3x8-12 lunges
4x8-12 arnold press
3x8-12 pullups
3x8-12 tricep
2x15-20 abs exercise 2

full body hypertrophy is ideal for beginners

If you rest 4-8 days between workouts then youre lazy, and lose a lot of potential gains.

i did triceps isolation exercises 5 days in a row and my triceps shrunk

You do know there is a medioum between training everyday and 4-8 days? Are you even serious?

Train every second or third day. You dont need more rest unless youre very strong.

I agree it's manly and noble to lift for strength but it just doesn't work for me. I sinply don't care how much weight I can lift.

But I'm a human and it feels good to look good. Not my choice to feel this way, it's just my biology. Feeling healthy and working toward a goal(sexiness) it what motivates me and there's no sense in denying that.

>at the end of 1 year of lifting you will be pretty much on the same place you would with 6 mo of SS strength-wise, but way better looks-wise
You're fucking delusional kiddo.
I don't even care about your shit tier lifts, but since you care about aesthetics, why don't you post your body, so that we can have a laugh?

no bodybuilder ever has given a shit about how much weight they lift. its all about growing your muscles bigger. dont listen to the dyel manlets who squat and deadlift

You seem confident about your body. Care to post a picture and lend sone advice?

post your pic dyel i want to see what that squat and deadlift has gotten you

and no lower body pics we want to see your arms this is a straight board

>post some retarded shit
>"post body"
>the best retort you can come up with is "no u"
lol

>POST A PIC
>NO YOU POST A PIC
>NO YOU POST A PIC

another autist with poor reading skills, here we go

let's be frank, given you're not klokov, bugenhagen or any other guy who besides being an exceptional lifter is also very charismatic, do you think any one will ever care about how much you lift?

if that's your thing, sure, have fun with it, maybe your wife or kids will be proud of you some day just as well

but let us admit that for aesthetic gains whether you're squatting 1.5pl8 or 5pl8 doesn't matter at all

btw I say this as a guy who lifts for strength

come at me i just hit a new pr yesterday 230 squat and i out deadlift you too dyel. your fucking turn

klokov and bugenhagen? luuulll major roid heads. klokov intentionally lets his spine and body BE DAMAGED because he wants to win olympia for his country. A MAN LIKE THAT WILL PUMP ANY FUCKING DRUG INTO HIS BODY TO ACHIEVE THAT GOAL. and bugenhagen is a fucking nutjob i bet hes on atleast 1000 ml a week and some wacky oral stack

rofl
3x5 made me reply

You wont get anywhere training for hypertrophy boy,go for strength then hypertrophy.

Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is literally fake and temporary,training for strength is all advantages.

>klokov intentionally lets his spine and body BE DAMAGED because he wants to win olympia for his country
What do you mean by this? Is olympic lifting at the elite level impossible to do without damaging your body or something?

No, I don't think anyone cares about my numbers. I also don't think anyone should care about my numbers, and I don't lift so people will tell me "wow that's a big number".

I just pointed out that after 12 months on an aesthetics-focused routine, a novice will be very fucking far from the numbers he'd have after six months on SS. Since claiming something like that means you know jack shit about lifting, I challenged to post a picture.
Since he has enough knowledge to give great advice like that AND lifts for aesthetics, surely he'll have a good body, right?

Yes, stupid.
World level athletics is not healthy in the least.

it's not about squats and deadlifts or prioritisting adding weight to the bar over every other factor, but there isnt a single natty bodybuilder alive for whom strength/rep progression on big, challenging compiunds isnt the main priority, what else are they supposed to base training cycles around? just going in and getting a real big pump doing random shit only gives you gains for so long. no one says you have to powerlift. you do have to progress. how do you think that occurs? whether you're getting better at sets of 12, or sets of 2, you;re still getting stronger.

>can't tell if bait or edgy dyel
my internet senses are dulling.

It's been proven with 100% certainty that training for muscle not only builds more muscle but will get you 80-95% of the strength gains of pure strength training alone.
It's also faster to do.

Strength base is a fucking myth.

>Strength base is a fucking myth.
Anyone have some science to refute this?

I've seen so many skinny guys with impressive lifts. The strength = muscle meme seems like unhelpful bs.

how bout you try lifting for a few years and refute it yourself with the sick physique you'll have after adding 0lbs to your starting lifts

The problem with those skinny guys, 90% of the time, is that they aren't actually that strong. What they are is crazy fucking skilled at a couple of lifts.

Which is often where beginners go wrong. They read that you need to get stronger and add weight to the bar (which is more or less true - no matter how you do it, at some point you've got to do more work to get gains) but assume that any weight added to the bar is necessarily added strength and subsequently put a lot of time into figuring out how to lift more weight without, in fact, doing any more work.

It is.
It's just people who're trying to talk stupid adolescents(of all ages and sexes)into strength training.
That's all.

You can gain comparrable strength to a pure strength training routine.
However the strength training routine will take longer to finish on top of it not providing nearly the amount of muscle mass.

It's why you'll never ever ever see any olympic lifter or strongman of note who'll only do 5x5 or some other such program.

It's dangerous as fuck and won't transfer well to any kind of real sport.

>It's why you'll never ever ever see any olympic lifter or strongman of note who'll only do 5x5 or some other such program.
Do you know how absolutely fucking retarded that is and how much of a know nothing DYELF you just outed your self as?

Real scientific.

>I'm looking at alpha destiny's beginner program,
That's just a general lifting/strength focused routine. Hypertrophy isn't the goal.

>you'll make comparable strength gains
>competitive lifters don't do 5x5 compounds, clearly that's because the routine is bad
>lifting heavy is dangerous
Imagine being this fucking retarded.

How can lifting heavy possibly not be dangerous?

I heard on Veeky Forums it was for mass.

What is a Google?

been making really good gains with the right

Never mind

>I heard on Veeky Forums
There's your problem.

I think I have pretty good size already (and a lot of residual strength). Some areas need more work than others but I feel I need a bit more quad and more shoulder size.

I picked the old Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 (beginner) because its been a while since I have done any real work with barbells and being an oldfag, I don't want to fuck myself up.

The ups and downs are that even at week 5 and that I don't have a gym buddy, i'm not sure exactly what weight I should be doing for different exercises. I stick to trying to make it difficult but I frequently add/subtract weight as I work out.

Coming into week 5 and I'm noticing clothes are getting tight in all the right places. My shoulders definitely feel stronger and I am adding weight (min 5lbs) every session.

Why is the standard advice to go three bah fives?
I mean I can see the advantage of doing that in specific examples, such as starting from 1RM-ing the bar for anything, when you want to improve neurological adaptation ASAP so you can move weight. And I do understand hypertrophy and strength are about as far as possible from mutually exclusive.

However, for novices, hypertrophy range (8-12) and for intermediates, both (1-12)? (And, "The recommendation for training frequency is 2-3 d·wk-1 for novice training, 3-4 d·wk-1 for intermediate training, and 4-5 d·wk-1 for advanced training")
europepmc.org/abstract/med/11828249
Is that due to neurological adaptation improving faster than anything at the start, so getting in high volume/more total work as well as the fast-improving neurological adaptation is more beneficial?:
journals.lww.com/ajpmr/Citation/1979/06000/Neural_Factors_Versus_Hypertrophy_in_the_Time.1.aspx
This somewhat supports it; for already trained men, high intensity provided greater hypertrophy than high volume:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4562558/

Maybe optimal would be
Phase 1: 3x5, 3 times/week program for a month (rank beginner - learn movements/adaptation)
Phase 2: 3-4x8-12, 3-4 times/week program for 5-6 months (beginner to intermediate)
Phase 3: A program that periodises or includes both ranges (1-12 reps), 4-6 times/week (intermediate onwards)?
Assuming someone wanted to maximise for hypertrophy, not try to maximise neurological adaptation without having a high lean body mass. Starting with lifting in a few weeks so have interest in this thread, thanks for program suggestions.

Most coaches would rather have something like this, assuming we're starting from a purely sedentary beginner:

Phase 1: GPP (higher reps but still submaximal work, probably a lot of machine and bodyweight movements so the person can learn to fucking move properly while still getting in a fair amount of work)
Phase 2: Technical learning (high sets, low reps, submaximal - what a lot of people would call 'speed work') on main lifts, push the accessory work normally.
Phase 3: Most regular 'intermediate' or 'advanced programs' if you're interested in longterm progression, something more linear if you're on a timeline.

SS style programs often shit the bed with teaching people the movements because it starts at a relatively high intensity and only ramps from there. Lots of high load, high fatigue reps which tends to lead to a large amount of the workload being done kinda shittily.

How long you been doing the routine and what is your best set of 8 on the lifts?

>Why is the standard advice to go three bah fives?
Because for beginners its enough stimulus to give both increase in strength and hypertrophy.

What you guys think about something like this.
A: chest, legs
B:back, shoulders
A,B,A,B
?

Beginners can get stronger and gain muscle on fucking any kind of resistance training.

DA BIG THREE is ancient powerlifting bullshit that is shilled to stupid as fuck children who don't know any better.
Their new gains is attributed to strength training rather then them doing real training for the first time in their lives.
Worse yet they never ever at any point learn how to properly train or understand how their body works.
Just get stuck on a hamster wheel of constant PRs and eventually realize that they're fat, weaker and have less muscle mass and endurance then the much hated "BROS" who don't do the big three and quit. Or be forced to quit when they fuck up and ego lift themselves into a life changing injury.

Gonna be rough on your triceps relative to everything else since they'll never really get a break.

push pull squat arms

and do cardio for an hour a week

So you're saying something like
A:chest,shoulders
B:back,legs
Would be a more optimal routine?

How frequently are you planning on training?

What if I have years of experience in calisthenics and can do advanced things like planche, muscle up and front lever?

Thanks for the suggestions, cheers. I see the benefits.
Would you recommend any resources for 'technical learning' (I assume it's not actually lifting as fast as possible; rather focusing on form), something like 7x3 at an easy weight (60-70% 1RM?) for the main lifts? Adding weight maybe, such as every few sets or in a linear progression?
I figure that about an SS style, I had defaulted to thinking of it for learning the lifts because that's what it's supposed to do. Maybe it's good if you could only run one program for maximum results in 3 months, but I'm more interested in learning as well as possible before progressing.
I've been doing basically GPP so that's good.

I can really only train 4 consecutive days out of the week. Monday-Thursday. My main issue with upper lower splits is that there are so many muscles to hit on your upper body. And PPL wouldn't work either if I wanted hit every muscle twice a week. Currently I'm training one main body part per day. But have been looking to train everything twice a week. And haven't really come by any particular training program that meets my needs.

Then you can probably skip phase 1 entirely and go straight to phase 2 (which will probably be abbreviated quite a bit, since someone with good BW skills can usually pick up the idea fast provided they don't get sloppy and carryover habits they shouldn't like defaulting to a hollow body position when deadlifting).

Percentages aren't always super useful for beginners, but that is in the ballpark for how it's often done. Lots of sets of 3ish reps at a manageable weight then hit your assistance work and go home (often this is training the lift twice a week - once heavier but still submax to get used to handling bigger loads and once for a lot of volume basing your numbers off what you hit earlier in the week). It's not purely the same thing but Dave Tate did an article on training beginners using conjugate that touches on a lot of these ideas.

SS originally started as a generic "get this scrawny bastard ready to survive football camp" program and is derived from an offseason football program for re-acquiring strength. When you're on a tight time limit and hopefully have someone who isn't entirely new to exercise, it's a program approach that makes a lot of sense. That's just not the situation of a lot of beginners.

Then you should still do SS, learn the movements and get strong cus your lifts will be really shit.

Tweaking the Upper/Lower split might still be your best bet there. A lot of technically upper body muscles like abs/forearms/traps/etc can be shunted off onto lower body days since that's when they take most of a beating from the big lifts anyway.

Do greyskull for 6 weeks to build a base or something then move on to lyle's generic bulking routine.

You need to have some strength to handle this volume training because you're going to be doing low rpe work with percentages that are low compared to your 5/1rm.

At least aim for a 95lb bench, 135lbs squat, 185lbs dl and 65lbs ohp before starting a hypertrophy routine.

A sufficiently advanced calisthenics person will be stronger and more flexible then an intermiediate lifter.

Work capacity is more important then pure strength when it comes to overall volume.
The fuck are you even saying?

Thanks, based.
Could only find his 9 week conjugate program:
elitefts.com/education/under-the-bar-9-week-basic-training-program/
If you remember, for it as a beginner routine would it be working in slightly heavier 2-3 reps range (rather than working to a 1RM) on heavy day for fewer (5-7) sets. And doing lighter 2-3 reps for more (10) sets, or 3-5 reps for 5-7 sets on volume day?
Looks solid regardless and it's interesting, I'll try to do some more reading up on the subject.

100% superfluous, convoluted dog shit thought up by some clueless retard with a shit body and shit lifts.

If I work my muscles until they're pumped, that's enough lifting right?

There doesn't appear to be any agreement on this topic like there is with strength.

yeah bro, just bang out like 200 DB bench presses with 5 pounds in each hand 3 days a week and you'll be strong and jacked as fuck in no time.

I'll try and dig it up (it might actually have been in one of his ebooks), but the gist of it was that one day was up to a top set of 5-ish (gradually dropping to 3s and then singles as it became harder to PR without maxing) and the other was basically sets of 2-3 at ~75% of the estimated 1RM as long as technique and bar speed stayed good. I think he put the upper limit at about 20 sets but you probably wouldn't hit that most of the time.

If you want to be a bit less powerlifting specific, you might be looking at something like this:

A
Heavy bench
Volume OHP
assistance

B
Heavy squat
Volume dead
assistance

rest

C
Heavy OHP
Rep bench
Assistance

D
Heavy DL
Rep squat
Assistance

Two rest days and repeat

he'll be doing babby weights on a hypertrophy routine as a beginner, progression is harder at higher reps (even for a rank novice).

Prettt sure that would build muscle.

If I'm a fatty (91kg 180cm) and I want to do is look good should I do training for hypertrophy or just start with SS or whatever?

Hey faggot, when you're trying to troll don't use the same diction in different threads. Bullshit is easy to spot.

Are you trying to tell me when I take a wrestlers deadlift from 135 to 365 in a single offseason his posture, and back strength are going to be more solid? That taking a kid who cant goblet squat 45lbs to squatting 405 for reps by his senior year isnt going to have more powerful drive on his shots? You're a loon.

Post where you life and I will gladly wrestle you. I've been grappling for 5 years and I don't know a single competitor who doesn't lift all the time you fucking loon.

No. No one has ever built 1/2/3/4 by swinging off poles you fucking idiot

Pretty sure progressive overload does.
Stay stupid

>200 reps won't build muscle

ok