What religion is Veeky Forums?

I am a Tengrist.

Other urls found in this thread:

alislam.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=-fGxOCJCRpA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Weird way of spelling "faggot" you got there OP.

Brodinist, obviously.

Really shitty catholic. Nothing you do will ever be good enough for God.

People who believe in religion are kinda dumb.
But yours is on another level holy fuck.

Catholic Apostolic and Roman

>Veeky Forums doesnt praise tengri

If I'm going through the effort to be civil I'd appreciate it if you were too.

Lucifarian.

*tips fedora*

Subgenius

A horrible muslim
I believe in god but i'm really bad at keeping up with praying
i pay zakat though
>before you say teerosit shit here is the official website to my religion
alislam.org/

judaism

postironic orthodoxy

Those is how every Catholic identifies Pope included

Christian here, brah. That was the point of the sacrificial death of Jesus, he was good enough in our place.

Tengrism is oldest form of theism thinkable, directly tied to the sky as it even survived in common perception to this day, probably originating hand in hand with the Turks as it is manifested inside and can be read out of their language and everyday philosophical approaches.

I am the OP. AMA.

Catholic

People who make grand generalizations about a group of people are kinda dumb.
atheist by the way

Veeky Forums

Christian AF

a Catholic who thinks he's a good Catholic isn't one, if only in virtue of that very fact

>not lifting for Christ
Never gonna make it, not for an eternity.

>not lifting for Wōden
into the bog with you

>Veeky Forums - Where you can discuss anything apart from fitness.

I want to learn about Buddhism, but I don't think I have the time at this point in my life to completely delve into a philosophical journey and properly contemplate/practice it.

Still better than Islam

You don't necessarily have to. You just to take it step by step until you can fully grasp onto it. Even the grand canyon started with a single drop of water.

That's a good way to put it, thanks user

best
reconstructed Proto-Indo-European religion
next best
Tengrism, Buddhism, generic ancestor worship
fine
European neo-paganism

Agnostic. Trying to be a good Catholic. Thinking about going Bhuddist too.

I believe in the inter-connectivity of people and nature.

We are nature. Not in some hippy-dippy new age sense, but human beings are material actors in a material world.

A city is just as natural as an anthill or a termite mound.

it always fascinates em when i look at humanity through that lens
the way we move, build cities, the drama, etc.
we're only animals

Yeah, but the issue is that our physiology is still built around small tight-knit tribes and communities. Some anthropologists suggest that humans can only maintain 150 stable social relationships, but modern population densities means that we must live surrounded by strangers. This leads to all sorts of mental stresses a la Calhoun's "Beautiful Ones".

We are clever animals, who made ourselves miserable through our own cleverness.

Hindu

The Tao

Buddhism

aka meditate, go with the flow, stop thinking so much, and refuse distractions

This
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
youtube.com/watch?v=-fGxOCJCRpA

have you read i ching

Atheist that follows the teachings of Jesus.

>having imaginary friends that live in the sky
>being mentally stable
pick 1

I have some really shitty friends then

really wanna bang my gf in that tent

i practice theravada buddhism!

go team!

What's more cringe worthy atheists or western Buddhists?

someone who cares about how other people live their life

upvote XD

This
Dubs confirm master religion

I don't associate with any organized religion, but I'm still spiritual.

religion isn't a fucking dinner party where everyone has an obligation to be civil. You're a faggot.

I'm a Protestant Christian. Wasn't really raised that way, just kinda gravitated to it. Not exactly a staunch follower though.

At the risk of sounding like an edgy faggot, I do also read about certain forms of Paganism, and sometimes find myself observing some of the less batshitfuckingcrazy parts. Fuck like 90% of wiccans though, I would rather stick a pin in my fingertip than be associated with them.

>Be me, Christian
>Was never really a staunch Christian, just kinda gravitated towards it
>Still sometimes find myself thinking about the Allfather
>Once prayed to Tyr to help me make a just decision

I don't understand friend. How is it that I can believe in both?

Atheists at least have some smart people in them. I've met plenty of atheists who simply don't believe, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

But every single Buddhist I've ever met in the West is weirdly watered down. They don't pray, meditate, and the only time I ever hear them mention their religion is to either say they're more civilized than Christians (only ever Christians though) or to get really pissed off and offended over a statue of Buddha.

So from personal experience, I'd probably say watered-down-Buddhists, but I'm definitely hoping I've just encountered the rude ones, and they're not all like that.

it's because you have brain problems. Read theology, don't just daydream about metaphysics.

I have faith in kung fu Jesus.

>religion
how primitive
also how destructive

not yet, what's your experience with it?

Hopefully not one of those Rabbinical schools. Basically the synagogue of Satan.

im bored of being tengrist lol, any other cool religions i can join for a fun time?

i would never, and have never presented myself as a 'buddhist' and i'm only interested in it because of my experiences with lucid dreaming, among other things

meditation = the practical means of quieting and using the mind properly, that's all i need, the rest of it is only interesting because of the insinuations that are relevant to my own experience, as stated above

Jesus

That's a completely fair and valid thought. I want to stress that a lot of the people I meet don't seem to be, for want of a better term, "real" buddhists. I honestly haven't met many practicing buddhists, so my opinions are very far off from what you guys generally are.

I'm glad meditation helps you my man, I've never much been one for meditating, but I'm glad it helps others.

Catholic

If you're talking about salvation by faith alone, it's a bad argument.

"See then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness; otherwise you too will be cut off"

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord' shall enter the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 7:21)

"By this it may be seen who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not do right is not of God, nor he who does not love his brother" (1 John 3:10)

"And I am sure that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. It is right for me to feel thus about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel" (Phil. 1:6-7)

etc, etc, etc.

Popular argument for faith alone is Ephesians 2:8-9:
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."
But it speaks of saving by grace through faith, which is the important distinction to be made. Additionally, if you wish to believe they are the same, see James 2:17:
"In the same way faith, if good deeds do not go with it, is quite dead." (In this example I'd recommend reading from 14-26 for even better context)

Could go on. Point is, you can't just throw around God's gift and have perfect assurance of salvation. It isn't biblical. I understand it does say belief = everlasting life, but according to the scripture, without works it is not true belief, and therefore you wouldn't be able to apply John 3:16 or similar verses to justify your salvation.

Why Protestant over Catholic? There's strong arguments against Protestantism. All arguments against Catholicism I've seen have been debunked/a rebuttal offered. (cont)

(cont)
I actually grew up Protestant (Baptist) but after researching more/connecting the scripture Catholicism made more sense to me.

Protestant you replied to here.
I should probably stress I'm a Christian, but not a staunch follower. A lot of my religious education was at a primary school level; haven't really researched as thoroughly as I should.

Anyway, I've always believed in God, but I never held to the idea that to believe in him you *must* do a bunch of really increasingly odd things. Catholicism seems very steeped in tradition, and a lot of those traditions seem to, well, get in the way in my eyes.

It doesn't help that many of the Catholics in my area growing up were very odd. They were either not really believers; just following along and being dicks to people who weren't while not actually understanding what their traditions mean, or they were so steeped in it that they couldn't even discuss ideas or interpretations.

There's a point in my mind that will stick forever. I was talking to another kid who was also Christian, and when he asked if I was Catholic, and I said I was Protestant, he booed. Just like you do to a rival football team. And I think I said something like "this isn't a footy team, keep it to yourself".

SO I guess the reason I identify as a Protestant over Catholic is because of the difference in tradition. Protestants tend to be more flexible; there isn't really a "wrong" way to believe. But Catholics always struck me as having a "right" way and a "wrong" way.

Anyway, why are you Catholic? What made sense to you? I'm not taking the piss; I'm legitimately interested.

I've not having any cheat meals until I go home for Diwali. Then I'm maxing out senpai

Isn't that the sect of not shit muslims, that all the other muslims want to behead?

Syriac Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East
Get on my level noobs
Saint Peter and saint Paul were the founders of my church
Was founded around 50 ad

Alawait islam is best islam

Well the first thing I've had be different is my experience with Catholics (while still a Protestant). I've had a handful of Catholic friends in the past, and can't recall any time a Catholic has treated me differently based on religion (or anything else, really). Maybe this has to do with the amount of Catholics vs. Protestants in my area compared to yours? There have never been many anywhere I've lived.

Catholicism definitely has a ton of traditions. Mass, Eucharist, Rosary, confession etc. Most are not required. Mass attendance is due to the belief you're supposed to receive the Eucharist in memory of Jesus. (which Jesus said to do at the Last Supper). As my understanding goes, the Rosary was created for the people to be able to pray without a bible, back when they were kept as scrolls in monasteries. The composition of it has meaning too. Confession is Leviticus 19:20-22, Matthew 3:6, John 20:21-23, and some others. The intent of the traditions is not to get between the individual and God, but to follow as closely to what he teaches as possible, and allow different ways to praise the Lord (Rosary, Adoration, etc).

I think that a true Catholic does their best to follow the word of God, which it seems to me that many of the Protestant religions don't follow the full word, and so it may be seen as denying a part of God's teachings.

There are a ton of reasons why I went down the route of Catholicism. The 7 books of the old testament Martin Luther/King James removed for faulty reasons. Martin Luther didn't agree with the teachings, and used the fact that at the time the 7 books were only listed as a part of the bible in the Septuagint, a Greek listing of the books of the Old Testament, versus being in Hebrew. Jesus, however, references these books several times. Additionally, the finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls in the 1900s supported the inclusion of the books. Up until that point, as far as I know there were 2 major Bible versions:(cont)

Ex-Sunni Muslim. Atheist I suppose now.

>without works it is not true belief,
user tell us what kind of works we should do

>There are a ton of reasons why I went down the route of Catholicism
Im dissapointed user, we all know that orthodox christianity is the way to go

unironically this.

(cont)
King James (Protestant), and the Catholic Bible. The Catholic Bible has always included the 7, whereas new Bibles were translated after the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, such as New American Bible, Jerusalem Bible, Oxford Bible, etc.

Organization is good I believe. Nothing biblical to back up here, just a preference which the Catholic Church caters to.

The Catholic Church offers extra things I don't think Protestants do as well. The Catechism is useful to understand the beliefs of the Church (and references Bible verses), RCIA is a good process of initiation in to the faith which insures people don't blindly get baptized, and they understand the teachings of the Church before making the decision. There are a few other things.

Matthew 16:18 (A lot of people do not believe this is basis for Catholicism) "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it" Peter meaning rock. Peter was the first Pope of Rome.

There are some more but not sure if you want me to continue. I've said a good bit so far.

pagan, paganism is the fittest religion, literally worships the body and its relation to nature

Christianity destroyed paganism and stole what was left to appease the recently "converted" pagans, embrace your ancestors true religion

I honestly don't know much about Orthodox Christianity.

I see it as actively living by the word of God. Aka, follow what the bible says. Charity, worship, do your best to abstain from sin, etc.

I tell myself I'm Orthodox since that's how I was baptized and I really like the culture, but I never go to church or pray or any of that and in practice I'm more of an agnostic.

It's 4am so I'm pretty bad at explaining at the moment but I tried.

>I honestly don't know much about Orthodox Christianity
Ok, why is that user? Do you live in a place with very few orthodox christians like uk, france or spain?
>Charity, worship, do your best to abstain from sin, etc.
Thanks

Gnostic Christian.

I live in Southern US. Pretty much everyone is Protestant. Cultural protestant really. They pick and choose what they like from the Bible and use it to justify their life choices. I've lived up North before, but it was a city (Anchorage AK) so not particularly religious.

musclewizard.

orthodox christianity

Me too, young adventurer

>tfw too nihilistic and self hating to care about religion and could never fully buy into any belief

i see the universe as a sort of non-sentient creator that we are all part of. nothing is of consequence because when you die you will be redistributed through the universe and the cycle of entropy will continue

Very humble, much Christian.

If you want to learn about Orthodox Christianity, consider picking up a copy of the The Orthodox Church, by Thomas Ware. An excellent primer, written by an English convert with western Christians in mind.

No idea honestly. I'll eventually land somewhere involving nature and minimalism, I assume. The closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience was living off the land in the middle of the woods for a week, really taking in nature and all it had to offer.

Traditionalist Catholic. I pray the rosary between and during my sets for holy gains

Low-Church Anglican.

How do I start going to church? Just show up at 10 on a Sunday morning and take a seat?
Protestant btw, mainly so my Grandma won't disown me.

Yes. But become Catholic first.

Lapsed Anglican. Observations of both Christians and Pagans in the wild led me to conclude that if you profess a religion you are either LARPing or delusional. These days I aspire to Stoicism, and try to stay as far away from mainstream culture as possible, living in a small town and hunting and fishing and being closer to nature whenever I can.

So many degenerate Jewcucks on Veeky Forums

Spiritual Satanist

good call

You're not from Ireland by any chance?