Okay seriously i need to get my squats figured out

i made a thread yesterday when i was super frustrated that i couldn't squat more than 105lbs. it was a pretty good thread with a lot of hate for trump and stuff but mostly it was about how i could work on squat form.

someone suggested i drop back down to just the bar and start there again, really focusing hard on form. they also recommended i stop doing 3x5 and switch to 3x10.

thoughts on this?

squat thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>that fat tub is a world leader

wtf was America thinking

let's not vote for a guy based on his tummy

Progressive overload my friend
I put like 10 kg on my squat in the past couple weeks
How? I squat 2* a week, one light and one heavy session
On the heavy session I do 3*5 in one week then 5*5 next week with the same weight
Every time I successfully hit 5*5 with a weight I add 5 kilos each side and do 3*5 then 5*5 next week
For the second session I do like 4*12
Works wonders
I also do rdls with heavy squats and heavy didlies with light squaats, tryna put some mass on them feet.

According to Trump and his "doctor," he's the fittest man to ever be President.

trump sucks also I don't know that you have to go all the way back to bar just lower it like 20lbs

yeah we fucked ourselves pretty hard this time. he won the fat vote obviously by being the "anti-establishment" candidate, which to middle america means eating fast food and ice cream for every meal. they're like lol take that liberal yuppies! and the fat vote is now like half of the fucking country so damn.

and that's how the end of the world happened.

how is this different from doing like a basic 3x5 and increasing by 5lbs every time i complete all the sets with good form?

not being smart i'm really asking why this is better.

yeah our president pushing his obesity-agenda hard and fast by limiting nutritional standards and pushing his insane non-science in the media. he literally believes that exercise is bad for us, with the one exception of golf. which isn't even exercise, and he drives his golf cart even on the green because he's a fat piece of shit.

trump really is the worst, but the reason the other guy suggested i go back down to the bar was he thought i wasn't stretched out and used to the movements yet. like my body wasn't. and he also said something about accessory exercises like box squats.

i was doing box squats before, but then when i tried regular squats without the box i couldn't lift the same amount of weight so i stopped that.

ugh idk if this is making sense right now i'm so tired

If you try to get better at a lift, you gotta vary the rep ranges and intensity.
You can't just do triples and expect to actually get better.
Volume is very nessesary for growth. A bigger muscle is a potentially stronger muscle, simple as.
What I have mentioned is a simple linear periodization protocol, which works for most beginners/intermediates.

I can't seem to ever squat correctly. I've watched far too many videos on youtube and read far too many articles, but still, I don't get DOMs or "feel" it in the muscles I should be when I squat. I think the problem is I don't think of anything other than "lifting the weight" up when I go from the lower position but I have no idea what to actually do. Anyone halp

fit is honestly the weirdest board ever. you get like six completely different answers to every question, and a lot of the time all the answers seem reasonable enough to be true and helpful.

so here, what does "volume" mean? and how is lifting more weight different from "volume"?

Volume is what bros refer to as a "pump"
Its basically when you shoot for pumping up the muscle instead of chasing a PR.
High rep ranges usually are better when it comes to getting some volume in, but high rep ranges mean you have to lower the weight (50-60% of 1Repmax)
So yeah, more volume=less intensity, and both of them are great for muscle growth so why not both?

I have some knee problems (nothing major, no tears or arthritis, but I'm making damn sure to keep it that way), and the PT diagnosed me with two things simultaneously, one was patellar tracking which I'm fixing by doing leg presses (never lock your fucking knees) and the other was some kind of IT band problem which he gave me various bitch booty exercises for, literally. Exercises for the gluteus minimus and medius and whatnot, to help me keep my knees out and keep my IT band working as it should.

I'm also supplementing with a lot of stretching and mobility work, as well as glute ham raises.

I'm working my way into goblet squats, and once I can do those heavy without pain, I'll get back under the bar. Nothing wrong with making sure you're doing it right, as long as you're making progress.

This is a shoop you blebs. Any golfer recognises that backswing as that of long driving John Daly. Few people have a backswing like that, even fewer 80 year olds.

Theres plenty of photos of chunky Trump, this one is fake.

Are you progressing? Have you videotaped yourself and checked your form?

I've progressed a little... been stuck at ~50-55kg for a while, I hurt my back once and had to take a 3 weeks off because of it. I'm not sure if I should be doing the squats at all, what do you think?

so just higher reps with lower weight?

you know i have noticed that my glutes are like noticeably bigger after doing like 20 reps of hip thrusts vs 8. is that why?

anyway it sounds like you're saying i should go to 3x10 too instead of the 3x5 i had been doing. same as the other guy :)

i admire your dedication! and i don't have any pain or whatever when doing lower body. i've actually had two surgeries on my right shoulder though and i do get pain when doing presses so i keep those at very low weight. don't care about upper body though so that kinda doesn't matter.

>Theres plenty of photos of chunky Trump
lol you're so right. he's a goddamn disgrace.

so my progression went like this...

>3x8 box squats, from bar up to 70lbs
>at 70lbs i decided to get rid of the box
>couldn't do 70lbs without box so...
>back to just the bar, doing real squats with no box
>get to 105, form not perfect at this weight but decent for first couple reps
>can't do 3x5 at 105, will try next time
>still can't do 105 3x5
>STILL can't do 105 3x5
>still can't and feel like murdering someone
>make threads on fit to bitch about this and seek help

>i don't have any pain or whatever when doing lower body
hm, I'm not trying to be snarky, but have you tried putting more weight on the bar?

Like going for 4 sets of 3 or something? I mean, if you can do 3x5 at 105 you should be able to do 3 sets of 3 at 125, right?

no i've never tried to squat more than 105. at 105 it feels very heavy and i don't really want to try going higher until i know i can manage this weight.

It was Russia's doing, America could have stopped it regardless if enough people turned out to vote

oh it was a number of things. most to blame i think is a lack of proper education. the majority of trump voters aren't the hateful racist types. they're actually really nice people. just woefully ignorant and more than willing to vote against their interests after being fed enough misinformation :(

Are you a girl? Because if you are a guy and unable to break 105 then I have discovered the biological reason you dislike Trump.

In either case you need to actually describe what the problem is with the lift. Stick with the regular 3x5s and...
Add more reps onto the end, as in do the regular 3x5 sets and then do more reps after your last set. Do 3x5 + 1x3 and increase that until you can do the higher weight with a regular 3x5 or...
Increase the weight by 5lbs for the first set and then drop the weight down for the next two, then next time do the increased weight for the first two sets and drop down to 105 for the third set, and then do all three sets at 110.

Give us more information. What part of the lift is difficult, getting out of the bottom of the lift after you go below parallel? What is giving you trouble exactly?

yeah i'm a girl. 5'6", 130lbs if it matters at all.

that bottom part is the hardest part. once i got to the bottom and couldn't get up so i had to set the bar on the safety things and that made me angry. if i didn't go so far low i'm sure i could manage to lift more, but why even do it if you're not getting that full range of motion in? i want to get good at the lift the proper way.

and it's super frustrating because i can do 170lb deadlifts and 185lb hip thrusts np. so i should be doing better than 105 on squats right?

A straight bar path in the squat is critical for power and to prevent knee injuries. If you are leaning too far forward at the bottom you are putting too much stress on your knees and creating more effort to get the bar out of the bottom position as you cannot use your hips correctly. If the bar is too far back then you are using too much quads to lift and less hips.

To keep a straight bar path and have the bar over mid foot at the bottom then you need to consider your anotomical proportions and adjust the bar on your back accordingly. So if you have a longer torso going low bar is better. Shorter torso prefers high bar or more lean forward in the low bar position. Tweak this for you.

If you want to focus on form do not think about sets and reps. Instead put a weight that is challenging but not hard then do 1 rep. If that felt good do 2 reps next set. If that felt good go for 3. Kepp incrementing until you reach a point where your form completely breaks down. Do all of this with correct form and bracing. From there add weight. Don't do a program until you are confident you have solid form. Listen to this and you will save years on your progression.

Die you spic monkey

Well I guess you should use a load that lets you do a good training volume while maintaining good form, and work on your form.

>doing barbell squats when you can't naturally squat in a resting position
>doing barbell squats when you can't do at least 5 one legged squats

Russia literally did nothing you liberal cuck
Trump is doing or attempting to do everything he promised. Its almost impossible to get shit passed when you have a bunch of geriatric fuck dems trolling in congress.
Well DLs and hipthrusts are the easiest leg lifts. Don't drop to 3x10 that's the memest shit ever. Deload and work on form you brain-dead media-drowning thoughtless waste of oxygen. Can you not do anything yourself? I mean I know that's what libs and dems are all about, but come the fuck on, you don't need this shit spoonfed to you. I literally didn't squat for months because of injuries and I threw on 2.5pl8 for atg high bar perfect form no problem.
>implying pistols are a measure of strength and not technique/practice
>implying pistols don't sheer the fuck out of your knees
Wew lad

>technique/practice

Just like how benching 3 plates is a technique that needs to be practiced.

the fuck? It's literally squatting on one leg. It has nothing to do with technique.

How are they bad for your knees?

Because someone that has never done pistols but can squat 5pl8 can't just go and do a fucking pistol. Are you seriously that retarded I have to spell it out for you?
Pistols extend the knee far out past the toes, which isn't always a problem, but the weight distribution to remain balanced when actually going all the way down requires forward push (weight shifting past neutral) on the knee.
Also benching 3pl8 takes years while learning a pistol can take only a few weeks to a few months.

>can't just go and do a fucking pistol

Because of mobility issues, not because of strength issues. Obviously someone who has weak legs won't be able to do pistols. It's something to work up to from easier bodyweight squats.

You sound like a ~20 year old complete fucktard. Please show me a single source to back up your opinion on pistols being bad for your knees.

sometimes i do get too much forward lean when coming up from the squats. grr i just don't know; i need an attack plan for tomorrow!

wow weird racism. that's nice.

i'm kinda starting to doubt that this means anything. you mean low weight high reps still right?

who can't squat in a resting position? is that even a thing? i guess maybe super old people can't rest in the squat position but that's something everyone else should be able to manage right?

lol.

Most westerners don't rest in a squat position.

>all this autistic leddit spacing
Get the fuck off r/fitness that shit is garbage.
If you can squat 105lb like op, you are 100% capable of doing pistols with technique/mobility training. But they give no fucking benefit.
Do you see anyone training for strength/bodybuilding doing pistols? No because you can't add weight without adding more shear, and it's an inefficient movement. Because of shear. Do you not understand what the fuck sheer is you fucking mongoloid?

Nice source

What kind of autistic liberal kike has so many ""insulting"" pictures of God Emperor Trump saved on ""her"" phone?
Also forward lean is from lack of core strength you skinnyfat piece of shit.

Yeah lemme just pull out a medical source on shear at 5am brb. Fuck off you ignorant little shite.

Enjoy shitting out broscience without citing anyone reputable.

Let me site every powerlifter and bber in the last 40 years. Sorry you're so fucking braindead you don't understand basic kinesthetics. Or literally just the simple science behind squatting.

Nice source

Omg I'm so tired why did I stay up so late lol. Anyway it sounds like the plan for tomorrow is still 3x10 with reduced weight? I'm not too sure how much I should bring weight down

Can we stop fucking talking about politics on boards that aren't /pol/, holy shit, you're basically begging people to shit up the thread and detract from the question at hand, the answer to which being fix your form and set up. At weights like sub1pl8 it's usually 100% form and set up limiting your ability to squat, take a video next time, upload it and link it if you want actual help. Beyond telling you to eat more and hop on a begginer program like Veeky Forums GSLP or ss we can't do shit. For future reference to you and the other anons talking about volume, the best way to get volume in is to just tweak the sets you do while keeping the weight at 80%+ for natties. It is much more effective to do 8x3 squats at 85+% than it is to do 4x12 at 65% because of the massive increase in weight. The amount of sets you do matters more for volume than the reps you do.

deload 20%

Daaaammmn how do I get that bod

Well, I said to actually incorporate both
They basically compliment each other.
If you cannot afford to do so then do the following
Week one: High intensity; 1-3 reps per set, 3 sets.
Week two: basic 5-5
Week three: 4*12
And repeat

Gee, they made a thread insulting Trump and posting inflammatory pictures, intentionally ignored advice and are typing in a way that obviously doesn't fit in, while claiming to be a girl.

I wonder if it could be bait. It's almost like those are all of the key features that bring out autists.

The democrats thought they'd run and equally shit candidate called Hillary just for lolz.

It was either vote for him, a literal communist or a feminist warmonger who would have probably started a nuclear war by now

youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM

>i'm kinda starting to doubt that this means anything. you mean low weight high reps still right?
Do you really not understand the idea of "good form"? Try to do 5x5 with the heaviest weight with which you can just complete it perfect form.

Or just stop being a pussy and put more weight on the bar. Like I said, if you can do 3x5 at 105 you should be able to do 5x3 at 115, at least.

thanks for all the advice everyone. maybe i'll update with how things go, but there probably won't be anything to say as i'm just lowering the weight.

i think if i were a guy i wouldn't be stuck squatting such a small amount of weight. the way people here talk any guy can just pick up a barbell and immediately start squatting 135lbs or so.

this ridiculous hyperbole just makes you sound like a moron to anyone who actually follows politics and not memes/fox news/ cnn

and i've seen this before but it's been a while. it's actually really interesting, and i think i'll try the "nipples toward the floor" thing. racist redneck guy here said something about it being important to focus hard on the hips and lift from there and you can do more weight.

and i have been trying to keep things mostly vertical. i thought this was what we were supposed to do when doing low bar.