/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General
A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Commisar's notes on the Meme Method
>pastebin.com/u0jiY8sM

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1AM4o-nTiGY
vimeo.com/236372730
youtu.be/xdhOdJ_NVao
youtu.be/7bGd2A_fMbo
youtube.com/watch?v=33P5AI27eiU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for doing warm ups every day even if you aren't lifting

>Crop chopped off 95% of gif
Damn it
youtube.com/watch?v=1AM4o-nTiGY

I just started owg, oh God I fucking love it. Been into powerlifting, but this is just so much more fun. I mean I am shit, I started like a week ago, but I have a whole lot more motivation to lift now

vimeo.com/236372730

On week 4 of smolov. Tryna strong up my legs for the big 3pl8 c&j but god damn 4x9 at 282 fucking sucks man

Anyways please critique my form. Would especially like a second opinion on my knees. I don't feel pain in them but it kind looks like I'm not pushing them out enough.

why are you doing smolov with a 120kg squat for reps

also your form isnt good. Knee caving, good morning the weight slightly to a lot.

look if any of you guys have a question about squat form, strength or just programming hop on over to /plg/ and ask there. I made the same mistake but there is a lot of knowledge available when it comes to PL since theres no money in that sport anyway. And olylifters squat and pull too so just do it. For example smolov is a program for advanced lifters, you shouldnt be doing that with a squat at your level

>lot of knowledge available
meant available for FREE. that was the key detail here

in oly a lot of the knowledge is with the coaches. You can learn a lot about lifting in general by just looking into the free knowledge on programming for PL. Only thing you wont learn is when to use different oly specific exercises in your training(hang, box, paused variations etc)

youll learn how to cycle your intensities, how to create a volume or strength block. General detection of weaknesses. The principles are exactly the same

bring your feet in between hip and shoulder width. your feet are way too wide for olympic style (asian outliers excepted).

Here are the things that stand out to me -
>Knees come forward when you hit bottom depth (not bad necessarily but watch the bar path)
>Knee valgus (inward collapse), feet are likely rolling in as well
>Knee and hip position at the end of your set

Things I would try -
>Warmup better, external rotators and quads. Make sure you're recruiting these to keep you in good positioning.
>Slowly bring the angle of your feet to a more front forward position. This is stressful to the calf/knee if you don't have the mobility so just watch it.

I don't really care about low bar though which is what those dudes are always doing.

And what 1rm weight do you figure you should be running smolov at?

>knee and hip position at the end of set
Whats the issue there?
Yea looking again you're definitely right

>lowbar
it doesnt matter, nobody will tell you to do lowbar and plenty of dudes in PL do highbar. Besides that the principles of a squat are the same both for low and high bar. Only the torso angle is different

far above 200kg at least. With your squat you can make gains weekly, why waste time doing retarded amount of volume to put a mere 10kg on your squat

Complete bullshit
It all depends on your leverages

nah hes talking about something thats known as a n 'olympic style squat' which is basicly highbar with a narrow stance

its a meme though no need to do that

It depends on your architecture and if you have the internal/external mobility/strength at the hip to support that position. Squat where it's comfortable just be wary of impingement in the hip and stressors to the knees.

>>knee and hip position at the end of set
>Whats the issue there?
The hips take on the load as the strong chain, shifting the weight off the knees (read: quads). Causes the slight good morning and over-correct since the hips shoot back.

First coaching session this morning. Pretty excited about that. Time to git gud.

Who here actually was coached and/or competed on a national level?

Somehow I doubt I'm only going to get 10kg out of smolov

I'll let you know when I finish

Ill take a peek at plg though

These are still the best oly lifting vids on YouTube.
youtu.be/xdhOdJ_NVao
And
youtu.be/7bGd2A_fMbo

fucking burgerclap

literally the only worthy usa weightlifter is cj cummings

why does everyone pretend donny shankle is anybody

any britbong man in?

Saw this posted in the last thread.

The squat portion looks very similar to Texas method in terms of intensity/volume. Any particular reasoning to having the intensity on Monday and Volume on Friday besides peaking snatch/clean on Mon/Wed?

your knees are jiggling all over the place. wtf. alien confirmed?

Had a competition this past saturday. First drug test I've done. Lets hope they dont catch me!

Results were 85/100. Got 90 Snatch as well but got called om press out (which In aware of, not disputing). CnJ was disappointing though. Still a 10kg pr total overall.

you might put on 20kg but it wont last

>getting drugtested with a 185kg total
is this a joke

No joke. Sweden. Randomly selected, they wanted one male and female from the club.

I filmed myself squatting for the first time, at 90 kg, and realised I wasn't squatting to fucking parallel. How big should my deload of shame be?

Enough that you can squat to at least parallel

How is that not common sense to you

I've been trying to fix my hand placement for awhile. I can't seem to keep all my fingers under the bar, is this a normal struggle for some people? Should they be more inward or outward? I think I need to fix my feet placement too.

teaching yourself cleans sucks please help a dyel

He jerks your squat

>I can't seem to keep all my fingers under the bar
Yeah I can't either. Is this something to worry about?

Do you have issues with your jerk? Do you reposition? Any stability issues?

If a finger comes out I can't jerk properly, so I either reposition or redo. Personally no stability issues unless I'm going in to heavier weight.

I'm and I do have jerk stability issues. I haven't tried repositioning, i'll pay attention to my fingers next time. Should I widen my elbow position before jerking?

Are you doing any active work for external rotation at the shoulder?

I do reverse flies

I really don't think there's a reason in the world to be doing Smolov, especially for back squats. If you're trying to up your clean and jerk, it would make more sense to be prioritizing the front squat. Your squats look okay for GPP, but for weightlifting, it's not ideal to squat-morning. You can't stand up a clean with a downward-tilted torso (obviously), nor can you stand up an overhead squat that way. If you want to keep back squatting, make sure you're staying as upright as possible, but I would focus on increasing your front squat.

If that's what you meant

You don't need to really overthink hand positioning I don't think. All I would say is try to catch your cleans and perform all your front squats with a full grip on the bar, it's more stable than having the weight on the fingers (assuming you have the requisite mobility to catch with a full grip).

Ish, you can work on strengthening your external rotation. It'll give you more mobility and go a long way for shoulder health.

Also basically this

What's everyone training today, brehs?

Snatch mobility
Clean volume
Push press
RDL

And quad recovery, they're super tight

Power Snatch
Planned Sqwaaaaat PR
Rando Acc work

does anyone here go to takano weightlifting in LA?

>Power jerk
>Front squat
>Bench press
>Split squat
>Push Press
>Snatch PP + OHSx3

So sick of volume training, but I really should keep going.

What can I train with a wrist injury except squats

It's clicking like crazy and hurts when I rotate it, though it only hurts when I rotate it too far. Been like this for 4 weeks and getting a scan next week

What lifts hurt it?
What lifts don't hurt it?

Do the second list

just squat everyday

Does anyone have a weightlifting proficiency table showing lifts by weight classes?

back squat
power clean
bench
some snatch drills

had to do in this order which was shit bc gym was too busy, i'd normally do my oly stuff first

doing the front squat every day thing so i just worked up to a max and then worked down to cool off

easy

This isn't true, just look at any Clarence Kennedy video, he mostly does regular squats.

Clarence is an exception, not the rule. He back squats that way to accommodate a knee injury. The vast majority of liters on the world stage do not squat like Clarence. Also if you use Clarence as an example of proper weightlifting technique and training, you're retarded.

He's also not a competitive weightlifter.

Right but back squats increase your front squat anyway. Clarence isn't the only one, I always see weightlifting videos showing much more back squat frequency than front. I think doing both is best, but I personally do back squat more often.

wait there are people on this reddit that only front squat?

yes

AMA

My gf can c&j 125kg and snatch 105kg. Is this good for a crossfit gurl?

bullshit

I can front squat 136 but my max snatch is 84, is this preposterous, why am I such a fuck up? 77 kg bw

how much can you front squat and what's your bodyweight

did Grace, 4:03, plus tempo back squats 5x5 with a 3 second descent up to 65%

>have to take antibiotics for 8 days
>digestion is destroyed and causing fatigue and general feeling like shit

Depends, is she a man

Not him but I exclusively front squat too
315lbs x 4 is my heaviest set, never 1rm.
200lb bw

My best front squat is 142 and my best snatch is 70.

Kill me

show me

Mattie's pretty good

is she a 105kg beast

need someone to walk on my fuckin back this morning

The dropbox link is down

anyone know of a free program with like 5-6 days a week training? Gonna get into weighlifting, but too addicted to lifting to any go 3-4 times a week like recommended for beginners. Not sure if my lifts change the volume i should be doing or not.

I have dabbled, normally trained for strength, but my lifts are:
Back Squat 150
Front squat 100
c&j 80
Snatch 60
Deadlift(if it matters) 200

Any of you faggots done roids?
How much difference did it make to your oly lifts?

Can I ONLY do front squats?

you guys need to work on your shoulder and upper back mobility

yes you can, and front squats are great, you should do lots of them
but if you want to increase strength of legs you should do back squats

Anything special for that? I have been doing these
youtube.com/watch?v=33P5AI27eiU

hows this program sound for a guy who is late beginner (decent form but lack of coach definitely has it flawed) trying to increase my c&j and general strength?

Haven't come up with the exercises yet but this is what I want to hit

M: c&j emphasizing form. Higher volume to drill proper form into me. Exercises will be broken down by the 3 pulls for clean. Chest accessories
T: front squats, heavy, but not singles/doubles. Probably 5x3x1. Ohp and shoulders
W: segmented clean pulls going heavy emphasizing where body should be during all stages of the first pull. Back and pull accessory work
Th: rest
F: heavy c&j singles and doubles focusing on getting a deep catch and a deep split on the jerk. Chest accessories
S: heavy doubles and singles on FS focusing on explosiveness out of the hole. Shoulders and OHP
Su: may either rest or put another pull day in

I do abs arms and mobility after every workout.

Also please critique my split. Not a max effort attempt.

Oh and lifts if it matters

Bs: 415
Fs: 355
Clean: 255
Jerk: 275
Ohp: 155

my neck my back lick my pussy and my snatch

How the fuck is your ohp so god damn weak

how do i prepare for my workout in 2hrs?

(going for a skuat pb today)

terrible jerk form, knee way too forward and back leg too straight

also assuming thats you in the pic i told you to look into pl programming

here i will tell you again. Look into something thats called Daily Undulating Periodization (DUP)

It basicly wil teach you the basic concepts of how to cycle intensity and volume over the week. Since you literally cant do high intensity or volume very day. Some days will need to be light, some moderate volume, some high volume, some high intensity. This would probally teach you how to make a proper schedule

donnie's still bretty strong

That's what I did. You don't approve of how I split up the intensity and volume?
I haven't tested it in a year could be more or less for all I know.

>also your form isnt good. Knee caving, good morning the weight slightly to a lot.
his form is okay on most reps tho. slight form breakdown is to be expected during long sets, especially if they're close to max effort.

My lower back hurted today a bit after squat 1rm. (+7.5kg PR). Back went into the good morning position slighlty again.

How does one go about teaching himself the oly lifts? Getting a coach is not an option. (I doubt there's even one in my whole country lmao)
What I gathered so far is that I should start with a hang snatch pull, then a hang muscle snatch, then a hang power snatch, then a hang full snatch. Clean is supposed to be similar albeit easier. In your opinion, how long would the whole process take before I can move on to weight? Rip said the lifts (power variants) can be taught in under 30 minutes, but I kinda doubt that.
also how the fuck are those wood things still intact?

There's a million guides that have popped up on YouTube. Clarence's are pretty good, as is Sonny Webster's and Cal Strength's. Film your lifts and compare them to high level lifters. It's not impossible.

how do you not hit something during thigh/hip contact? I mean I'm pretty sure his dick is bruised.

Generally speaking, you don't intentionally bang the bar into your hips or thighs, you try to just let the bar brush. Bruising happens, but ideally, you avoid it.

maurus?

if you're hitting your dick your third pull is too late

i love donny because he has an awesome attitude but yeah, he's not that remarkable really. there are eastern european nobodies who lift more than him

Harrison Maurus, Angelo Bianco, Ian Wilson and Wes Kitts all are pretty respectable. Obviously they're not at the top in the world (other than Maurus in the youths), but are still entertaining nonetheless. I don't really follow the women at all, so I couldn't tell you about them.