Using a belt

At what sort of level do you guys start using a belt for your squats and deadlifts?

I realise that you can't really give an exact number, but what about in terms of % of 1RM, or proportional to bodyweight?

I started using a belt a few months back for everything beyond 60%, and realised pretty quickly that when I reverted back to beltless work I suffered without it at weights I was previously OK with.

Now I'm using it for 90% of 1RM and up, is this a good pattern to stick to? Bw is currently 65kg, squat 1RM 147.5kg, DL 1RM 180kg. So I start puttin the belt on at 132.5kg squat, and 162.5kg DL.

Any/all advice very welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw
youtube.com/watch?v=xGsbwVeTtfk
strongerbyscience.com/the-belt-bible/
70sbig.com/blog/2010/04/more-reasons-for-wearing-a-belt/
70sbig.com/?p=884?p=884
70sbig.com/?p=891?p=891
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw

If you need a belt at any level that isn't competition, then what you actually need is to make your core stronger. btw, please stop using reddit spacing.

t. clueless person

Nice argument, fagtron.
You actually don't need a belt at all. If you use a belt at low levels, you're ignoring what your body actually needs to be capable of doing in order to lift X weight.

I do a fair bit of core isolation though. Hanging leg raises, windscreen wipers, weighted russian twists etc.

Is there some more specific core exercises you'd recommend?

*are there some more specific core exercises

>fagtron
Are you playing hooky today?

how does a belt benefit a non-competing lifter who is after physique? if you get a kick from improving your stats or have the money to spare then go for it, otherwise it doesn't make much sense bodybuilding-wise

All kinds of exercises like that are great. a good way to train your stabilizers for specific lifts is to do exercises similar to the actual lifts though, at levels where you don't need to use a belt and therefore allow the muscles to do the work.
I sometimes work my stabilizers for DL by doing Romanian deadlifts, farmers walks (yep), and heavy bb rows. For squats I do pause squats (30-60 s) at various depths.

sorry you're new. pic related

not him but cable crunches allows progressive overload. my personal favorite is the one where you put weight directly onto your abs and maintain full abdominal breathing for 10-20s, whatever the name is. shit makes me want to pass out, i fucking love it

Well I am starting to compete. Had my first comp a few weeks ago, signing up for another one in November

I do high volume front squats without a belt, and most of my rep work on DL and squat without a belt. Can you recommend something beyond romanians for DL?

Like just resting a plate on your stomach?

if you're serious about competing then you need a belt, it doesn't matter what's your stats are as long as its not terrible (check your weight bracket stats at the level youre competing)

on the ab exercise, yes. i dont know whats the carry over, i just like doing it.

>something beyond Romanians for DL
Pretty much everything in this video.
youtube.com/watch?v=xGsbwVeTtfk

He's a DL freak, and uses a belt often - but he also deadlifts 4.35 times his BW

>low bb rows
>weighted pullups
>shrugs
>whatever-that-entire-posterior-chain-bw-exercise-is-called
>reverse hyper

My stats are OK for my weight class. I did use a belt in the last comp, and I will in the next, I was just wondering about when to use it in training.

Oh I meant more DL accessories to really hit core

all of those things will hit your core. the core includes the lower back, glutes, hamstrings, et c.

Fair enough. Thank you, user

Well how did you place? A belt is not a magical tool and if the guy who won has a total that is 300 over yours a belt is the absolute ladt thing id worry about.

by allowing you to use more weight, and get a bigger training effect as a result

strongerbyscience.com/the-belt-bible/
70sbig.com/blog/2010/04/more-reasons-for-wearing-a-belt/
70sbig.com/?p=884?p=884
70sbig.com/?p=891?p=891

got up to a 500lb conventional deadlift at like 190lbs and 17 y/o before I got a belt (and i got the shittiest one possible, tapered valeo meme belt) but i should have been using one long before that

there is no requirement to wear a belt ever, but it is an excellent training tool and most people that are serious about their training should be using one (with the exception of maybe WLers for whom it interferes with starting position)

It was a small charity comp and the next guy had 14 kg on me...

I did beat a few heavier guys though which I was happy about.

Total was 405kg because my bench is poverty. Symmetricstrength says DL is advanced, squat is 5kg off advanced. Bench is 20kg off proficient because fuck bench

Not bad at all for a first meet. I had a 1000 pound total at 148 when i was a junior and punched my ticket to IPF nationals in the states, but sadly couldnt go. Ive nevet used a belt in my life but i would say when you are just doing a mock meet or a training 1RM slap the belt on. Mark rippetoe says to use one during your working sets but i just find the belt annoying.

How did that 1000lb break down? That's impressive as fuck, especially as a junior

stopped using a belt as i realized im fucking weak without it. with belt my lifts were 140 kg squat and 180 kg deadlift. i am currently at 2x170kg dead and 3x130kg squat beltless. my belt prs are from last winter. did not train all summer. started working out hard beltless 2 months ago. summer is short in norway

How long were you training with the belt? I noticed an impact on my beltless work within a couple of months

I used a belt my first year of lifting and have been using it ever since. Only thing I don't use it for is ab exercises.

There is no reason not to use a belt. It's just more gains.