/run/ general - Spurious Advice Edition

BECAUSE! Get in here cardio fags and keep this shit bumped.

/run/ General
Old Thread is dead.

>Training Plans
halhigdon.com/training/
c25k.com/
ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

>Strava
strava.com/features

>Sharing on Strava with the /fitizens/
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

>Pace Calculator
helpfulrunner.com/tools/running-training-pace-calculator.php

>Stretches
runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners

>running injuries and how to treat them
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/

>How to Buy the Right Running Shoes
archive.is/VGoxG

>running form
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE

>Sprint Training Advice
>A number of current and former professionals and coaches have posted in this thread. Read it thoroughly.
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

>pain
mensrunninguk.co.uk/top-feature/push-through-the-pain/

How far have you run this week?
What are you working on?
How was your last run?
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
What injuries are you nursing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s2AWw9oJi_A
youtu.be/J4TbTmMF5SE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>How far have you run this week?
10km so far.
>What are you working on?
life.
>How was your last run?
Amaze. 10km in 48 mins. Shocking for me.
>Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
nope
>What injuries are you nursing?
Maybe tweaked an ITB

This is a lifting board you scrawny faggot.

He's an scoobs apprentice

Lifting is for Cardiovasculets

>replacing shoes
2009 and counting!

I can hear you speak. That cock you were munching must have fallen out again.

>muh protein

go shoot up more gear, manlet

That's why I'm running barefoot, I don't have money for that kind of shit

Go for 300-400 miles in a pair. You may get more miles though. That picture inspired the thread title. It's bullshit made to sell shoes.

running is gay

What is the point of running shoes?

>running is gay

on a board covered with half naked greased men flexing their pecs.

>mfw

why shouldnt i just run in my shoes until they fall apart? running shoes are expensive as fuck

>tfw first small run today after a few weeks off due to injury
felt good

Help me pick out some new shoes faggots

bump

I have a 7:45 mile and a half and I need to take 15 seconds off, but I can;t break it natty. I want to fraud but can't fully because of drug tests so I've been taking 2x rda b12 to increase the amount of red blood cells in my body. Am I going to die if I keep this up for a month?

Not a runner, but I feel like with the current goals I have for myself (general fat loss and cardiovascular endurance), I feel like a cardio-centric fitness regime (routine?) would be my best bet.

GETTING TO MY QUESTION FOR YOU FAGS:
The gym at my school has ellipticals, stairmasters, rowing machines, treadmills, and bikes. Which would get me the best "bang" for my time and effort?
I'm thinking of alternating between the stairs and rowing day by day, but I want your thoughts on the various cardio machines.
Help me git fit, /run/

>run 9 - 9.5 miles per week
>mfw i NEVER have to replace my running shoes

LOL BTFO DUMB ASS.

If you want to bike use the bikes
If you want to run use the track/treadmill
If you want to climb fucking stairs use the stair climber

If you don't give a fuck about getting good at a specific type of cardio then just do whatever you find the least worst as long as you get your heart rate up

about 10k will do another 10k before the end of the week.

improving my 5k time, finally got it down to 24 min range. been at it since may... started off just under 30 min.

>How was your last run?
averaged 8:01 per mile over 3.1 miles, gotta get that down even more.

nothing yet, planning on new shoes in another month though, current ones are getting up over 300 miles...

did a bunch of gardening yesterday, triceps are actually pretty sore. turned over about 10' x 10' of soil.

none of you dumb fucks are mentioning heel to toe drop? 1-3mm is best for training as its minamilist and causes the smallest amount of wear on your knees. Pro distance runners train in these and then put on standard shoes with bigger shocks on the bottom for races

Alright, cool. Wasn't sure if any one is "better" or "worse" than the others in a general sense.
Like, I've heard that running on a treadmill can fuck your knees after a while.

>Which would get me the best "bang" for my time and effort

swimming

It can if you run like an autistic retard. If you don't want to learn to run just bike

I've got a TomTom Spark 3 and after I finish a run it lets you look at this graph where you can view your "instantaneous" speed throughout your run. For instance the run I did this morning it says I kept an instantaneous speed of around 8 minutes per mile throughout the run, but if you look at my average pace (time/distance) it's closer to around 7 minutes. Should I just ignore that instantaneous speed?

don't own that watch but average pace will almost certainly be a better indicator than instantaneous due to GPS error, the error is minimized over the course of your entire run

What's the best season for running and why is it fall?

God I love fall so much

I registered for a spring marathon. How the fuck do I keep training during the winter?

Barefoot for the win.

The end.

How much will I fuck myself up barefoot running on a treadmill?

Just finished a 5k race in 26:40 and feel really good. I'm unfit and skinnyfat and just recently started to diet and work out. My previous 5k time was like 35 min, I did c25k and am happy to see some results

Good stuff! Now don't stop.

>ran for 8 months straight
>didn't get the army job for medical reasons
>haven't had the motivation to run since

As is life I guess

>powerful masculinity is gay
>honing the skill of fleeing like a low test coward isn't

>Not running into battle
>Not using superior mobility to gain terrain advantage
>Not using guerilla tactics to whittle down you opponents

When i run after like 15 minutes of running my shorts will start to rub on the insides of my legs and starts to get really annoying, what can i wear to prevent this?

don't be fat

im not

Get those under armor underwear/leggings that are tight down to your knees

Wear boxer briefs.

will do
last time i wore those running my nuts were sore, i can only really wear tight briefs or else they get banged around

does creatine impact short hight intensity runs (max 5k)? i also lift so i'' continue to take it anyways but i was just wondering.

So, instantaneus is consistently lower? That's odd. Maybe one of them takes stops into account and the other doesn't.

Can you see your current pace while you're running?

kind of new to running, used to run on the treadmill a lot, but never had this problem

my shins/calves hurt when i run and usually are sore after i run, do i need to get new shoes that are better for my feet or is this just what

secondig this, any stretching advice?

Is running daily for a certain period of time or running almost daily a bad idea? I'm not doing marathon runs, I'm doing at most 10km runs.

Assuming I stretch afterwards, is it okay if I don't take as many rest days?

i stretch every day before running and this still happens to me

i have trained like 4 days consecutively a week when i had more free time nothing happened, i only ran 8k's though. i rested more because i was lazy than genuine exhaustion. i have found that running every other day is way better for consistently hitting pr's though, so you do you. eventually you are going to need to rest.

Only 5km, wanna kms
What are you working on?
Getting ready for a 10km race or beating my time in 5km (25 minutes)
How was your last run?
Shit.
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
Anything.
What injuries are you nursing?
Neck pain, shit started after running the 5km, I can barely move it and I need to move my entire body to look at something. I think it was because I only stretched my legs before running and my posture was kinda tense

might be shoes, but the ground is usually harder that the surface of a treadmill. This advice might not be too helpful, but try to be light on your feet. I would try running outside for a few weeks outside before seeing if its a shoe issue.

I was about to go running but then it just started raining. Should I just kill myself?

>Neck pain, shit started after running the 5km, I can barely move it and I need to move my entire body to look at something.

tense upper body. check your arms and hands and shoulders.

youtube.com/watch?v=s2AWw9oJi_A

Got a 10k run on Sunday. How should I plan the rest of my week?

Looking to complete it in 1hr15 if that gives you an idea of my fitness level..

run in the rain you pansy

With long sleeves and determination. You'll be glad you stuck it out.

I used to start to feel sick on long runs, then someone pointed out how much effort I was wasting by bouncing around. When I fixed that the sick feeling went away, so I would assume I was banging my nuts around way too much.

TLDR: focus on form and your balls will thank you.

r8 my shoes

Surely you mean the other way around my dude. They don't call them "racing flats" for nothing

Surely you mean the other way around my dude. I mean they're called racing flats not training flats

this

>all these nibbas who reccomended high HR cardio to the fatty
baka, you need to be in HR zone 1 or 2 at most in order to be burning fat. Long, slow runs give the most fat burning potential.

Also, last run was 20kms on sand in 2:18, bretty happy.

Also, daily reminder to keep your cadence above 180.

what about 5-10 15-20 and 25-35?

Too much of a pain in the ass to try and work my life around the pool schedule at my school, otherwise I'd probably start doing laps.
That, and my front crawl form is utter shite.

No matter what technique you use, different sports do create different loads on your joints and soft tissues.
Running is the most impact intensive and the most prone to overuse injuries.
Cycling comes in second.
Swimming is best as there is very little impact, but looking at tiles for hours on end is only fun for so long.

Any of you cunts also training for your first marathon?

>first
No.

Training for the military.

When I run I go for an hour and a half.

My running shoes are bad enough and I can't stand soggy socks and I hate smelly, moldy feet. Need to buy new ones honestly.

Anyone for a mid week 16k?

How good/bad is an 8:30 mile? Ideally, I want to get it down to 6:00-7:00, but I want an idea on where I stand now.

About 9 miles so far
Working my 1 mile time down
>How was your last run?
Had to stop often because of passing showers
Nothing atm
As far as I know, nothing

I've had the same bowling shoes for the last 4 years and they've served me fine. Sure the seams are tearing and the soles are falling off, but they still work.

Same. Maximum time for the 3mile is 28 minutes. I can do 25 but I really want to be at 23 by the time I go in. I know I should be as close to 18 as possible but that's just not going to happen this month.

Silver Shadows.

gotta go fast

>tfw haven't ran at all this week

Ran a pretty decent 14 miler last night, and recently ran my first 30k trailrace. I have trouble slimming down however, and I often feel like I carry a lot of unusual weight. How do you workout to accommodate your running?

deplete glycogen before running to make yourself lighter

Thanks but could you elaborate? I'm really bad with nutritional stuff

Yup

Who else run in Converse?

Should I wait to start until I have decent running shoes? I have absolutely no money for anything but bills for the next month and my only pair of shoes is 5 years old and beat to hell

Pulled my ribs muscles overtraining, doc tells me I can't run for a week, reminder not to overdo it / stretch ;_;

>2km in 12 min
>3km in 21min

I'm working on my pacing but it's fucking hard. I'm still fat at 200lbs too.

Last 3km was 23min so it's progress I guess. Aiming for babbies first 10km.

Yes. Perfect weather my dude.

Take Friday/Saturday off but do tons of stretching.

It should be considered average but in 2017 it's probably above average. 8:30 is a great starter time.

Possibly, yes. Your body is designed to hold so much blood. If you put more in than it can handle and then start forcing it through your heart on, let's say a jog, you risk tearing the tissues in your chambers and basically exploding your heart. It is a very real danger, look it up.

20km so far, 80km ahead

Marathon 3:45 target on Sunday

>How was your last run?
5km morning run 22 min

garmin 235 forerunner, have them for month and still happy as a kid
Pain next to ass on right leg since my last HM PR ( 1:43:44)

If you're starting from zero, no

I've been running 30+ miles a week for about six months now, because it was all I could fit into my schedule. But now that it's getting cooler out and I have more time, I'd like to start actually improving my speed and distance.

Does getting faster just consist of doing speed interval training? How much of it is muscular, and how much is technique? I've never done much more than 9min/mile on longer runs before.

A lot is interval training and teaching your body to cope with discomfort

Run all you want, but you will never be as healthy as a vegan.

Even if you run 45 miles per week the average vegan has better arterial function.

youtu.be/J4TbTmMF5SE suck on that.

dear me, this has to be bait.

SCIENCE measured the arteries of vegans, typical Americans, and Americans who run an average of 45 miles per week.

SCIENCE found that vegans arteries are better than typical Americans (of course) and even the exercising Americans.

45 miles a week but your shit diet can't compete!

HA HA HA

Don't do that. glycogen is what your muscles need to fuel.

why are you aggressively defensive fella? the runner group was comprised of people who averaged 48 miles/week, for 21 years. Consider the age group that is implied by that and compare it to the vegan group. No mention of the runner group's dietary habits either - a diet rich in shitty carbs can just as well be the norm for a long distance runner, which might have contributed to the difference.

Ignore him/it.