Does the big 6 cover every muscle group?

From Convict Conditioning the big 6 are:

>pushups
>pullups
>squats
>leg raises
>bridges
>handstand pushups

>big 6
>bridge

>bodyweight "big 6"
>No dips
really tickles my protons

>leg raises work legs

Everyone can't do the latest meme exercise you faggots are on about today.

>dips are a meme
>not tips

dips are just hanging leg push ups

they don't cover forearms and calves

>really tickles my protons

did you mean proteins? wtf are a protons lol?

Squats covers calves and handstand pushup should cover forearms as well but just in case what bodyweight exercise will?

>really activates my almonds

Calisthenics require core isolation because BW squats don't isometrically work the core nearly as much as weighted squats.

CC is weak, but push-ups are chosen over dips because they require no equipment.

Calves won't be worked to any sufficient degree with bodyweight squats.

lord have mercy
>people will continue to fall for the convict conditioning meme until the end of time
No one can even do a one hand handstand pushup and you are gonna read this shit tier over marketed nonsense where the author doesnt even show himself doing a single exercise

but pullups require equipment
leg raises too if you dont want to do them on the floor

squats are useless for calves, and HSPU are useless for forearms.

calf raises/one leg calf raises for calves
pullups and hanging from a bar hit forearms

So if I do all of that and this, I'll be fit and strong? I want to be all round strong and have endurance for the rest of my life.

how many reps for calf raises do you think is okay to aim for?

sure? i mean you won't get very big,but if that isnt the goal then go for it
a fuckton

>and HSPU are useless for forearms.
You've never done a hspu

See

How do think fatties got their calves?

>So if I do all of that and this, I'll be fit and strong?

yeah but you wont get massive. you can get a decent amount of muscle off it though. how big you get really depends on diet too

You guys know that they talk about forearms in Convict Conditioning 2 right?

Walk on the balls of your feet every day.

I'm already a big man so just by having more decent muscle will make me massive. I eat meat, veggies and shredded wheat mostly.

Is there a free pdf online for number 2? Can you link it?

Positively charged subatomic particles that are found in the nucleus of an atom.

just do pushups and pullups once a week dont be one or these fitness autists

When you say "big 6" everyone who isn't a basketball-american/repressed-homosexual-obssessed-with-prison assumes:
>squat
>deadlift
>bench
>ohp
>pull-up
>row

>dips are just hanging leg push ups
>squats are just vertically oriented, free standing, lower body push ups

>When you say "big 6" everyone who

everyone who can read. he said "cover every muscle group". he is obviously talking about the big compound exercises

It's just some shill faggot whoring whatever trash strength lifting routine or gym required workout that is popular on the board today.
Ignore them.

>squat
lower body vertical push
>deadlift
lower body vertical pull
>bench
upper body horizontal push
>ohp
upper body vertical push
>pull-up
upper body vertical pull
>row
upper body horizontal pull

Aren't there a lower body horizontal push and pull missing?

Leg extension, reverse hypers.

Those two are isolation exercises while all the other are compound, is that the reason why they are not considered part of the core lifts? Also exrx lists both as push exercises with auxiliary utility.

nah, leg raises and some hypothetical exercise that combines a reverse hyper with a leg curl

But it doesn't even work the hammies. It's all core and hips
I was just memeing anyway, there are vertical and horizontal push and pull exercises for the upper body, but I doubt there are compound lifts like that for the lower.

there are. only they would be very impractical and retarded. pic related.

>>handstand pushups

is this a tryhard exercise or actually worth investing the time ?

It's to OHP what weighted/one-handed push-ups are to bench: you also get some extra core work in but it's a lot less practical.

Well sadly very advanced calisthenic exercise variations are more skill than strength (see pistol squat). I doubt it's as efficient as The Press™ for the front delts and core. I would say it is not worth the effort learning, unless ofcourse you have no other means of training shoulders (barbell, dumbbells, bands etc.)

Its like ohp but safer
and "cooler" . And you can also progress with slight adjustments.

Yes. It's the best overhead movement you can perform if you go full depth. It works nearly every muscle in your upper body. Think of it like the squat of upper body.

You can progressively overload with weighted vests

>very advanced calisthenic exercise variations are more skill than strength (see pistol squat)
t. Has never even attempted calisthenics.

I tried pistol squat, and I can only do like 2 with my dominant leg. However I can 3x5 split squat with 25kg dumbbells. Fuck off kid, I like gains.

LOL
Lying faggot.

What the fuck are you on about? Do you imply that a 25kg split squat is something hardly attainable? Are you that fucking DYEL?

>However I can 3x5 split squat with 25kg dumbbells
You think that is impressive? How much do you weigh?

see Ofcourse it's not impressive, I've been lifting for a year and a half, but it is to imply that I have way more strength needed to perform the pistol squat. 178cm 74kg 13%bodyfat

Not only does your back leg assist you in a split squat, but the additional stability needed to perform a pistol requires you to expend more strength. Think leg press, or Smith squat vs a free weight squat.

No, I'm saying that you can't do a pistol squat and you're a lying faggot.

>I can 3x5 split squat with 25kg dumbbells
which means your 1RM is about (BW+50kg)*1,2.
if you mean RFESS then about 80% of the load is lifted by your forward leg and 20% supported on your back leg, and that's assuming good form.
so to get an equivalent conventional squat 1RM: (BW+50kg)*1.92-BW
So assuming you're about 80kg: that's equivalent to a 180kg/4plt 1RM squat. And you can only do 2 pistol squats, which proves that pistol squats take a lot of strength.

You clearly don't have it. Are you seriously gonna tell me a planche push-up and front lever row is more skill than strength?

So you're able to do 3plt squat for about 5-6 reps?

Getta load of this fuckin' nerd

>leg raises require equipment if you don't want to do leg raises

Not a shill user just trying to get into the best exercise possible for my body so that is why I asked here.

>but pullups require equipment
>he doesn't live in an old industrial complex with tons of exposed pipes and chains hanging from the ceilings

"Convict conditioning" or whatever certainly is not it. In fact calisthenics is not the best way to build muscle fast because you need a decent amount of strength to not be stuck doing baby variations. If you're looking for overall fitness: first get to a decent strength level using weights, then - if you wish - add in some calisthenics to work on balance and coordination.

As for the "big 6" question: squats by themselves "cover" every muscle group. But it is a question of ratios. If you use the real big 6 ie. deads, squats, bench, ohp, rows, pull-ups - then you can cover your whole body with decent ratios. Maybe add in 50% of the volume you use on main exercises for core, bicep, tricep, shoulder, calf and forearm work. These muscles either don't get hit 100% even with the compounds or are small enough to be able to take the extra volume. While they might be perfectly fine (from a functional standpoint) with the volume they get on main exercises - to get that typical "beach body" look you will need accessories for them.

What are the best isolation exercises for the core? Is planking a meme?

> Is planking a meme?
Great if you use proper form (whole body is tight and neutral, not just abs.) But once you can easily hold a front plank for about 2-3 minutes they're a bit of a waste of time.

Plank 'till you can hit at least 2 minutes, do sit-ups until you can do at least 40 in a minute. Once you got both of those down, move on to harder exercises. Don't forget about your lower back and traverse abs: supermans, hypers, vacuums. For obliques: side plank, wood-chopers, pallof press, suitcase carry.

Dragon flags and leg raises

>In fact calisthenics is not the best way to build muscle fast because you need a decent amount of strength to not be stuck doing baby variations.

Okay, this is both fucking retarded and wrong and has been proven wrong multiple times across Veeky Forums for years now.
I know everything else in your post is going to be absolutely fucking retarded.

Go take your "strength base" bullshit and shill it somewhere else.

>fat Veeky Forums user decides to get Veeky Forums
>goes the calisthenics route
>huge body mass and lack of flexibility fucks up his joints
>tries to do shit like neck bridges or pistol squats and hurts himself real bad
even if the guy is not fat: calisthenics is a lot easier to fuck up (and end up with slow progression and injuries) than weightlifting.

Sure, if you gave him the guy a decent coach or was decently athletic, he'd do well with calisthenics. But you gotta consider the reality of things: the general population is weak, fat, uncoordinated and will consult the internet and not a good professional coach for guidance.

Strength base might be a bit imprecise since I also meant flexibility, joint integrity and coordination.

>calisthenics is a lot easier to fuck up (and end up with slow progression and injuries) than weightlifting.
Wow
Amazing.
You can fuck right off now.

>just insulting people because I'm so obviously right is a cheat code to winning every argument
Calisthenics fags really are the cyclists of strength training. Also, try going to a gym and observing the noobs for a while and then tell me that "the theory is all that matters" is not a stupid argument.

Try hollow body holds

You're litterally state that calisthenics is bad because they don't have a coach.
That a fat out of shape person with bad joints shoulnd't do it because....it's not weights.
You also outright state that you can fuck up and hurt yourself with calisthenics but lifting weights is a okay.

You're either a absolute noob or a blathering imbecile.

I don't think it's easier to get an injury from calisthenics. It isn't as good as weights, though - progressive loading is pretty much universally accepted, and with bodyweight you can only adjust volume, you can't just strap a couple plates on yourself and still call it bodyweight. It's like doing a bodybuilding split with two 25 pound dumbells and expecting to keep growing after a few months.

You can do progressively loading with calisthenics exercises.
The book in the OP proves it.
Every other sport and organized physical activity states the same thing.

Okay, here's a challenge:
>print out some articles, routines and info-graphics for calisthenics and something like SL5X5
>distribute each to 50 rank noobs
>after three months go and see how many are making steady progress, have given up or have hurt themselves
I guarantee you that the portion of people who got hurt or gave up will be higher among the people that got the calisthenics print-outs.

Point in case: the majority of PE in schools in my country is focused on calisthenics - most kids cut classes and are scrawny. My school got a rack, bench and some weights one summer - half the guys in my class got to 1/2/3/4 within the school year and many of them continued lifting afterwards.

Another point in case: there are some bars and other equipment in a park where we like to drink in the summer - most kids/teens who come give up within the month - barely any stick around to become noticeably strong, my gym also has a steady stream of noobs - about 30% of them stick with it long-term.

Lifting weights is maybe not better, but certainly more accessible than calisthenics.

>You can do progressively loading with calisthenics exercises.
yeah, but it is a lot harder than simply slapping some extra weight on a bar and doing a movement you have been doing from the start.

One word.
Zach

He was Rippetoes poster boy for the effectiveness of SS and how much magical mass it can put on and he constantly droned on about how he'd look better if he cut.

Where is he now?
He's a fat fuck who doesn't lift anymore.

Want to see someone who did calisthenics and stuck with it?
Go take a look at half of the guys in a cbt thread.

Your anecdotal bullshit holds no water in a reality where the entire fucking "asethetics culture" and fucking SKWAT ARE UR A PUZZY faggots from years ago have all quit working out or snapped themselves up so completely that they had no choice.

You're right. It is easier.
It's brainless as a matter of fact.
Which is why so many people end up injured and quitting altogether.
They get nothing out of it except a new pr high.
Once that's gone they have nothing save for injuries and a low ego bump.

Then what?

I guess it's my anecdotal bullshit versus yours.

My logic here is:
>10 guys start calisthenics
>10 guys start lifting

>3 cal guys are still at it in a years time
>4 lifters are still at it in a years time

>5 years on: 1 cal guy is still at it, 1 does some other form of training, 1 has given up
>5 years on: 1 lifter is doing powerlfting, 1 is doing calisthenics, 1 is doing olypmic lifts, 1 has given up

Now I don't got any studies or surveys to back this up. But time and time again I've seen that the average kid that steps into a gym is very ignorant and impatient and that traditional lifting is an easier gateway to any kind of strength training than calisthenics. Maybe it's just bullshit like convict this-or-that and barstars have bought a lot of kids in who have no stamina, power-lifting is obscure in my country and most kids who start it tend to have spent a bit more time researching stuff and making up their mind.

The average kid who steps into a gym does not give three squirts of piss about strongman/powerlifting type stuff.
The just want to get moderately strong and look good.

The same reason that calisthenics guys do their thing.

The big difference between the calisthenics guys and powerlifter guys? Ease of access.
The former can do their workouts at any time and oft do. The latter do not.

As for calisthenics leading to low stamina....on what planet?
You just said that it takes more to get stronger with calisthenics and it's not as simple as just throwing another weight on the bar correct?
Well the average calisthenics guy who's sufficiently or beyond beginner level is doing high resistance high rep stuff for long periods of time.
They build fantastic endurance.
And there is a reason why every single country with great weight lifters starts their kids out with calisthenics.

>The average kid who steps into a gym does not give three squirts of piss about strongman/powerlifting type stuff.
The average kid that comes in and does endless sets of bench or pec deck is much less likely to stay than a kid that comes in and starts doing squats and ohp and shit.

>As for calisthenics leading to low stamina....on what planet?
No, (mental) stamina. As in kids who watch barstarz because of the slick editing and music. You'll rarely see a kid that watched rip awkwardly fondle a guy or israetel blathe on about undulating periodization and went "I'll do this because it's cool and hip." Same effect with say parkour vs. high-jump, lot's of kids get into parkour because "zomg, badass" and then quit. The few kids that get into high-jump generally tend to stick to it a lot more.

But all this is outside the scope of what I originally claimed: if I had to get a bunch of couch potatoes fit quickly with minimal instruction, I'd get them lifting - not doing calisthenics. I'm sure plenty of calisthenics guys have the same feeling.

>has been proven wrong multiple times across Veeky Forums for years now.
The general consensus on Veeky Forums is that lifting is faster than calisthenics.

>learn just a couple basic movements, incrementally add weight, just adjust weight to change rep range
>every-time you want to change your rep range/emphasis you have to do a different variation of a movement or even a completely new one

I won't get into mobility and coordination, but if you want to get strong at the fastest rate possible - you lift weights.

meanwhile you list 4 fucking meme exercises as part of the "big 6"

user, you'll never get an untrained kid who'll go directly into a gym and start doing powerlifting stuff.
Not ever.

What you will get is a bunch of kids with a lot of energy and enthusiasm who's willing to give it a try.
Bar starz and the calisthenics guys got a lot of out of shape kids active and thinking about fitness.
And a strong calisthenics base can EASILY be transferred into anything. Even strength training.
There's a reason why there's "ghetto fitness" competitions across america and europe.

Lastly, why in gods name would you put a fat as fat ass on a basic strength training routine when getting them to move their own weight+getting them more agile and flexible is so much easier and will reap so many more benefits.
A fat couch potato or neet will be more willing to do a basic calisthenics+stretching thing then going to a gym and strength training.
That's mostly for already athletic people and people with a certain mindset.

If you get them into activity and strength training and basic fitness with a dead simple no bullshit no excuses calisthenics routine then they'll be more willing to try any form of athletic endeavor and the other forms of fitness.

In my opinion. It all all starts with gaining some mastery over your own body. Once you've achieved basic mastery of your body you can easily go anywhere you want.

No one fucking cares.
Litterally no one in this thread except weight lifters who're terrified of people NOT LIFTING WEIGHT or legitimizing their choices and sacrifices for the iron gives a shit that people can lift more weight faster using the same few lifts.
No one.

This isn't even about that.

Which of those are meme exercises again?

>legitimizing their choices
>sacrifices for the iron
I go to the gym 4 times a week, I didn't join a fucking cult or sacrifice my firstborn.

Okay, let's just agree to disagree. Obviously you see more merit in the stuff you ended up doing primarily and it's the same for me. Whatever anyone ends up doing is fine by me, just as long as they're not sitting on their ass or competing in getting rhabdomyolysis for time.

Best bodyweight exercises for chest? No pushups pls, they don't do shit for my chest.

what the fuck. dips have always been around and they've always been a favourite of literally anyone worth their salt in strength & conditioning.

>squats by themselves "cover" every muscle group
is what tipped me off, nice bait otherwise

There is a reason that "cover" is in quotation marks.

is that reason the fact that it's not true?
delts, arms, forearms, neck, lats have no involvement whatsoever in squats. I could give you more but I'm sure there are emg studies that show some minor activation of traps and such. the "squats are good for everything" meme is good newfag hazing but it needs to die. Deadlifts stimulate more muscle mass and release more test/hgh and even then it's still an absolutely insignificant amount, don't expect overall growth.
Squats, AS "MUH KING OF EXERCISES", are a fad. They are a good leg, glute and low back exercise. nothing more. I'm so sick and tired of everyone treating it like it's a fucking panacea. It's not. It will probably improve sprinting and jumping (although unilateral/asymetric squats and belt squats respectively might actually be better for that) which is why it was recommended by football coaches. nowadays it's just used to write livestrong articles.

You really aren't familiar with sarcastic quotation marks? Technically, not having severe muscle hypotonia works all the muscles in your body to some degree.

>delts, arms, forearms, neck, lats have no involvement whatsoever in squats
But that's just plain untrue. Do you hold onto the bar using telekinesis and not brace at all?

the arms do nothing, they barely even contract. "bracing" involves mostly abs, obliques and low back. upper back contract but that's insignificant as there's never any real stress on it. if you use your forearms you're doing it wrong. delts do nothing.
leg, glutes and low back. that's it.
do you cunts go around telling everyone that standing up curls "work everything" because you're doing them without slouching, legs extended, without letting your hip flex? how many of you even acknowledge it works forearms a bit (which it does, as opposed to squats). and traps contract isometrically! what a great exercise. truly the king of lifts :DD
and the funny thing is, it's mostly dyels who meme about squats anyway. rip worshipping, ss reading, 3 times a week squatting dyels.

>do nothing
>barely even contract

>no involvement whatsoever
>upper back contracts

>if you use your forearms you're doing it wrong
>closing your fist doesn't require your forearm muscles

No, fuck it. You still won't get it. You just got of your 12th month of SS and are in the "railing against all the noobs" phase of Veeky Forums idiocy.

So I'm going to spell it out for you:
The reason I put that squats work everything in quotes is because they don't, except from the pedantic "being alive means all your muscles have some degree of tone" sense. This concept is called sarcasm. Look it up you fucking retard.

>start thread
>think Veeky Forums will give good advice
>instead they shitpost

Look all I want is the best bodyweight exercises to cover every muscle group and once I have mastered my body I want to move on to weights, all the time I am a weak shit who can't do a full press up, doing 100kg squats and shit at the gym will do nothing for me.

I need my strength, endurance and that up to point first and the only way to do that is mastering bodyweight training.

>I need my strength, endurance and that up to point first and the only way to do that is mastering bodyweight training.
Who the fuck told you that.

>>if you use your forearms you're doing it wrong
>>closing your fist doesn't require your forearm muscles
jesus christ what an idiotic cunt you're not even supposed to squeeze the bar. you can just have your hands on it and it won't make a difference.

This is what I mean, I want concrete facts, an actual list saying these are the best proven methods that you can use for all your life that will keep all your strength, endurance and your bones keeping their density and all that bollocks.

I'm not looking to be the best in any field to do with sport and exercise, I'm looking at being a healthy, functional human being for all my life and not end up a crippled fat old fuck, I don't want that. I want to be able to pull myself up a cliff, able to do anything with my body and have great endurance and strength.

>Lower traps

>I write something clearly sarcastic, even put quotations on it and explain it
>you are a pedantic cunt about it
>I proceed to be pedantic about your posts
>you don't get it
>I spell it out for you
>you still don't get it
Mate, are you sure your brain isn't displaying a screensaver on a permanent basis?

>I was only pretending to have fallen for Veeky Forums memes
either that or you've got one weird sense of humor I do not get the subtleties of

>I want concrete facts, an actual list saying these are the best proven methods that you can use for all your life that will keep all your strength, endurance and your bones keeping their density and all that bollocks.
It's called the sticky you entitled little shit. The reason everyone is just taking the piss is because you didn't read it and you take shit like convict conditioning seriously.

>able to do anything with my body
Admit it, you just want to be able to give yourself blowjobs.

>Calisthenics require core isolation

No they don't you could just L sit planche and front lever. None of those are isometric.

>I expressly say to do assistance exercises at decent volumes
>say to work core in isolation
>put that statement that squats are all you need in quotation marks and call it a technicality.
>advocate the use of rows
>place equal emphasis on deads and squats
Your conclusion: "He's saying to do SS+GOMAD." Also, not even Rippetoe says that squats are all you need. So you made up a strawman and decided to get in slapbox match with it.

>I do not get the subtleties of
You took one part of my post out of context and decided to have an autistic rant about it. So I took the parts of your posts which are only technically untrue ie. "you don't use your forearms on squats." Which is technically untrue since most people close their fist - even if you don't really need to - and decided to be as autistic about them as you were originally. It's not that subtle.

>t L sit planche and front lever.
>None of those are isometric.

wut