Barbell bench press is, without a doubt, the most single most overrated exercise

barbell bench press is, without a doubt, the most single most overrated exercise.
1. it's a high school tier dick measuring contest with "how much you bench bro?" that guys in their 50s still take part in. pathetic.
2. if you want to lift for strength dumbell bench is far superior, not to mention much easier on your shoulders and wrists
3. If you're lifting for aesthetics chest is not what you should focus on at all. Big frames are built from broad shoulders + wide back+ big arms, and needless to say flat stomach is the top priority if you're going for pure looks. Once the big frame is achieved it looks stupid with chicken legs so glutes and quads come next. Having a barrel chest as your most developed muscles looks awful
Every time I go into the gym and the benches are full and the power racks are empty I laugh. Every time I see guys in there benching who I never see doing anything else I laugh. Someone please rationalize the obsession with barbell benchpress

Kill you are self

hit a little too close to home champ?

chestlet here, chest is actually import as fuck for aesthetics

u let a bunch how a bunch of high schoolers act negatively influence your opinion of a perfectly good exercise, congrats youre no better than a hispter

If you don't want to do it then don't do it

t. cant bench bar

The point is that bench isn't a good exercise. Dips and DB bench are far superior

most people who bench a lot have overdeveloped man boob-like pecs

are you by any chance retarded?

somebody has a shitty bench

lmao wtf? Small chest looks like absolute shit, big pecs fill you out and give way more presence

Arnold was the pinnacle of chest aesthetic and why it works

>has nothing to do with the exercise
>debatable but dumbell press does make your chest look better
>a big chest ties everything together
barbell bench has lost some notoriety as now squats and deadlifts have become the "alpha" exercise

post body

Do I need to bench for strength/aesthetics?

I do dips and cable flyes, and I can't seem to work the bench press into my routine.

And pic related doesn't bench at all.

it's not just kids, note how I said 50 year old men still take part in it. I see so many guys maxing out regularly and then walking around with their chests puffed out like their some tough guy it's fucking hilarious.
I don't anymore. I used to rep lmao2pl8 easy but all I do directly for chest now is flys but I do incline, decline, and flat. Sometimes I will do a single burnout set with 185 or single arm db press burnout with a 70 but that's the most. I do close grip but more for tris

here, I would fucking kill for overdeveloped man-boob pecs, so that I could stop benching for three months and have normal-size pecs. you can always develop a muscle less you retard.

You don't NEED to do anything, it depends on your goals

I like bench, its simple classic and it gets your chest big fast. But there is some debate over barbell v dumbbell as well as incline, decline, flat. Flat bench with a barbell is the stereotypical lift but from what I've heard incline bench with dumbbells is the most effective overall. I still do flat bench because I enjoy it though.

ITT: OP tries to justify the fact that he's a weak little pansy who bench presses like a total bitch.

>work hard to overdevelop a muscle
>stop lifting to let it atrophy to a reasonable size

is that your logic?

if I thought I had stupid looking man-boob pecs then yes

t. Can't do weighted dips (a real lift), so he works his chest like a crippled geriatric by lying on his back

So my routine is sufficient? I do OHP too but I prefer dips over bench and my routine is pretty set in stone as far as time and frequency go. If I do more than 2 heavy compounds in a day my body quits

>weighted dips

I would recommend it if you want to size your chest up but if you feel satisfied with it there's not really much need imo

>wahh im so special because I dont just bench like those fucking Chads and normies do, I SQUAT and DEATHLIFT like a real MAN
embarrassing

>doughy bitch tits
>twig legs
>small hands
>tiny penis
>manlet
>girly neck
>no core

you look like a total fucking mess you pasty little shit. kill yourself ASAP. dumb shit.

Good post.

He looks great. Post YOUR body faggot

>girly neck

i dont think you realize how much better you and all lifters would look with a better chest

strong projection from the little bitch who can't bench press NOR do weighted dips detected. i can just TELL from your whiny posts that you're a manlet btw.

Yeah bro fucking with 120lb dumbbells twice a week is so fun

t. Includes a non-optimal lift in his routine because he fell for a meme perpetuated by fat powerlifters.

whats with slavs and chains?

>didn't even try to refute the point
>STILL confirming that he can't bench for shit

Are benchcels really this insecure?

>barely any new posts itt
>just bitchy little faggot OP arguing with everyone

cringe

How about you lay down and relax faggot. Bench pressing has to have made you good at that by now.

nice jawline...

>getting THIS worked up because everybody ITT is laughing at you for having shit lifts

cringe

>getting THIS worked up because everybody ITT is laughing at you for performing sub-optimal lifts

Cringe

I lift with a bunch of late 20s early 30s guys. they always hit bench to finish it out. I've been benching 115 since my rotator cuff injury, They are always saying shit like "I know you can do more than that!" and trying to peer pressure me into lifting heavier. I do light weight with good form and at a snail pace, they throw 300+ on there and rabbit punch it out. then they won't squat or deadlift. then they order pizza and ask me for lifting advice because I'm the biggest one there. It boggles my mind, everything I try to tell them goes right over their heads.

OP here, that is the quintessential benchtard example I was thinking of. Hit on all my points.

Barbell Bench Press is literally the most popular amateur strength sport and is the gateway to powerlifting, weightlifting, strongman, and Highland games, plus arm wrestling and some other shit.

you should be a trap with soft little A cups like those :3

You're half right

It's super important for strength, but for aesthetics it's useless

Literally incline bench is all you need for chest (for aesthetics), as having more lower than upper pec will make you look like you have sloping tits.

i just hate how fucking dangerous it is

Use a cage and a spotter

squats are, without a doubt, the most single most overrated exercise.
1. it's a high school tier dick measuring contest with "how much you squat bro?" that guys in their 50s still take part in. pathetic.
2. if you want to lift for strength jumping up and down with a weighted backpack is far superior, not to mention much easier on your core/back.
3. If you're lifting for aesthetics squat is not what you should focus on at all. Big frames are built from broad shoulders + wide back+ big arms, and needless to say flat stomach is the top priority if you're going for pure looks. Once the big frame is achieved it looks stupid with chicken tits so chest comes next. Having your legs as your most developed muscles looks awful.
Every time I go into the gym and the squats racks are full and the bench press is empty I laugh. Every time I see guys in there squatting who I never see doing anything else I laugh. Someone please rationalize the obsession with squats.

heh.......... i work alone...................

>so insecure you took a pic to prove him wrong
[spoiler]he's still right[/spoiler]

So what do you suggest for broad shoulders?

>monkey see, monkey do

you've refuted nothing and projected everything, you obsessed manlet. keep on bitching for your superior. like a good little bitch.

Bench Press

>barbell bench press is, without a doubt, the most single most overrated exercise.
1. it's a high school tier dick measuring contest with "how much you bench bro?" that guys in their 50s still take part in. pathetic.
yes
>2. if you want to lift for strength dumbell bench is far superior, not to mention much easier on your shoulders and wrists
3. If you're lifting for aesthetics chest is not what you should focus on at all. Big frames are built from broad shoulders + wide back+ big arms, and needless to say flat stomach is the top priority if you're going for pure looks. Once the big frame is achieved it looks stupid with chicken legs so glutes and quads come next. Having a barrel chest as your most developed muscles looks awful
no

I agree

so much denial and mental gymnastics from this weak faggot who can't bench for shit LOL.

bros when i do dips i never feel it in my chest, my shoulders give up first before i even feel a burn, wat do? plz i need gainz

Honestly I kind of agree that BB bench is a meme but DB bench is so hard to progress on. I'm repping 60s and have been for weeks. Do you just add more reps?

Dips and Dumbbells aren't better for your shoulders you fucktards have you ever dropped a 30kg dumbbell after a heavy set that thing can rip your arm right out of your shoulder.

How to spot a sub 2pl8 bench

Let me guess, you have to tell people that you lift.

someone have mercy on me

alter angle of your body
closer you are parallel to the ground the more it will hit your chest
at that point you might as well just do pushups lol

do whatever you want to do broseph

Go look in the greek statue thread and then get back to me pleb

Lol someone is a benchlet

Surprise surprise only thing you've got is abs in good lighting

why you flexin breh

>2. if you want to lift for strength dumbell bench is far superior, not to mention much easier on your shoulders and wrists
yeah have fun getting those 150lbs dumbbells up you fucking mongoloid

>. if you want to lift for strength jumping up and down with a weighted backpack is far superior, not to mention much easier on your core/back.
THIS, if youre not doing weighted backpack jumps youre not gonna make it

No they haven't.

No one will ask how much you deadlift or squat. I'm natty 5 months SL and squat and deadlift more than oral roiders i know because they constantly skip legs and just focus on arms and chest. Literally all normies want to know is bench press. All the retards that have been going to the gym for years but still look like flabby overweight babies who lift peanut weights ask about your bench.

>OP gives several valid reasons why bench is overrated
>also calls it a dick measuring contest
>half the replies are benhcels saying I bet I can bench more than you OP
like pottery