One of the early purveyors of fitness, Eugen Sandow is probably the indirect reason most of us are into this shit...

One of the early purveyors of fitness, Eugen Sandow is probably the indirect reason most of us are into this shit. Who else influenced us that we probably don't even know about?

Sandow was a sick kunt

Your Mom

Best part is that you're not even wrong.

>Sandow was buried in an unmarked grave in Putney Vale Cemetery at the request of his wife, Blanche. In 2002, a gravestone and black marble plaque was added by Sandow admirer and author Thomas Manly. The inscription (in gold letters) read "Eugen Sandow, 1867–1925, the Father of Bodybuilding". In 2008, the grave was purchased by Chris Davies, Sandow's great-great-grandson. Manly's items were replaced for the anniversary of Sandow's birth that year and a new monument, a one-and-a-half-ton natural pink sandstone monolith, was put in its place. The stone, simply inscribed "SANDOW", is a reference to the ancient Greek funerary monuments called steles.

Women

>bodybuilding has been practiced and celebrated in ancient civilizations for millenias
>hurr gaiz this literally-who from the 1900s is the reason we all lift

Kys

one of the greatest physiques of all time

Marvin Eder

He was a huge a fitness icon in Victorian times.

Probably the equivalent of Arnold, if not more influential.

Akira toriyama

Yet people still look up to the greeks and romans, meaning they are much more influential and this nobody has nothing to do with today's bodybuilding popularity.

Are you actually trolling

He's literally the trophy Mr. Olympia is awarded with and he organized the first bodybuilding contest.

Sandow set the stage for modern bodybuilding. He sold supplements, he posed in some of the earliest BB pictures, he literally wrote the book. Habe you ever fucking heard of the Sandow trophy?

my dad read dragon ball to me when I was 3 years old, and for as long as I remember, I have always wanted to be huge. So you might be right.

>Eugen fucking Sandow
>literally who
The absolute state of Veeky Forums these days.

People always trained and looked up to the great physiques represented in some of the most well known paintings. It didn't start to become popular 100 years ago you fucking retard.

Get out

That's exactly what happened you fucking dolt.

I'll gladly concede that ancient Greeks and Romans honored and respected strength and physique, but come on dude. Hearing about an amazing physique of some heroically proportioned man several cities away in a time when people rarely left the villages they were born in is not at all comparable to seeing printed images of a man half a world away whose physique you can actually see and know is real.

Also, Sandow is different than those Greeks and Romans in that we know his name today. Recency effect? Absolutely. But the whole point of the thread is individuals who influenced modern bodybuilding. So either name a specific Greek or Roman and show me what he looked like or gtfo.

>Who else influenced us that we probably don't even know about?
Hyppolite Triat, inventor of the barbell and hardcore communist.

>>bodybuilding has been practiced and celebrated in ancient civilizations for millenias
American education or troll?

Seriously, fuck those newfags.
Veeky Forums was at its peak in 1893-1895, after that everything went to shit.

I agree with this guy. I mean not the "literally-who" part, he made bodybuilding popular again. But it was way more common in ancient Greece than it was during Sandows time. And there definitely were Greeks who had even more impressive physiques.

sandow is so impressive and influental because he lived in a time that still has some continuity with today, so we can relate to him more directly than to ancient greeks who are in many ways completely alien to us.
also, we have photos of his physique. old enough to not be photoshopped, so we know they are accurate.
ancient greeks on the other hand we only know from sculptures, which are subject to the creative liberty of the sculptor.

tl;dr
we have authentic pictures of sandow that prove a very impreossive physique, AND we know that he was 100% natty because roids werent invented yet.
this makes him relatable, authentic and impressive.

Sandow was a babyfaced manlet. It is good to have idols who you look up to, but give me a fucking break. Also he did non-stop drugs