How much more can you deadlift with mixed grip compared to overhand grip?

How much more can you deadlift with mixed grip compared to overhand grip?

don't know, never tried

I do 3pls and some change overhand, will my dl increase if I go mixed?

yes if u are not already using chalk

I'm not

not realy unless you have grip issues, you will because the bar is gonna spin hard in your hands at some point

445 double overhand, 585 mixed.

Won't do shit, unless grip is a limiting factor.

Mixed allow lift more.

>internally rotating one shoulder and externally rotating the other when lifting large amounts of weight
lel, learn hooked grip or use straps. mixed grip is asking for injury

>tfw 2.5plates and struggling to do it with overhand grip

I use overhand and straps. I got sweaty hands and short fingers, so I always feel like im gonna drop the bar. The straps give me peace of mind knowing that I can focus on executing the lift without worrying about dropping the bar.

610/535
I'm a grip chad though

you know what works better than straps? getting stronger

I'll stick with the straps, thanks though.

>How much more can you deadlift with mixed grip compared to overhand grip?
between 50 and 80kg more, which depends entirely on how much work I had during the week.

you probably put clips on the smith machine too, yeah? just to be safe.

>using the Smith machine

>straps when could be getting stronger instead

585 snapped my bicep tendon right off the elbow with mixed grip. Never again.

465 double overhand.

Don't want to visit snap city ever again so double overhand is the way to go.

Can confirm. Can't do this with double overhand.

>limiting a heavy compound based on grip strength
Yeah for sure my man, your 3pl8 double-overhand takes much more strength than any of Eddie Hall's lifts

You will never get to his level if you were having to fuck around with straps at 3pl8 faggot

enjoy your bicep tear

literally every single person in the history of ever who has torn a bicep deadlifting was using an alternate grip

I currently don't use straps, but if you bottle-neck your deadlift progression based off your grip strength you're probably just retarded

i could barely hold onto 365 double overhand, and i could barely hold onto 450 mixed.

>compares normies on this thread to the world's strongest man
>3pl8 is his warm up
>another sad gym goer idolizing an above average gym bro on social networks instead of making himself big

I'll tell Eddie Hall to his face he's weak for using straps

get stronger

The point is your max deadlift would be exceptionally heavier than what your grip strength can handle. If you want to get stronger then using straps while separately training grip is much better than stalling your deadlift progression just to avoid straps.

dyel here, hit 105kg diddly last session, but my grip started failing during my last 2 reps, like I had to really try to keep it in my hands.

Does this sound right, or is my grip strength just poor?

I had been gripping the bar much tighter to encourage my body to give me power during my OHP and Squat, so my grip may have also been more exhausted than normal.

Why would you increase the weight of the world's most important compound lift if a specific (and very important) tool of it you can't naturally handle? If your grips can't handle it, don't move up. Straps are shitty patchwork because you didn't actually put in the time to strengthen them. The whole part of lifting a weight is to make every aspect of it perfect and to hit every area, not ignore a fundamental part of it just to post your fake gains on instagram with a tool that allows you to be weaker then you're flaunting

>The point is your max deadlift would be exceptionally heavier than what your grip strength can handle
That just isn't true

Why would you not increase the weight of the world's most important compound lift if there is a minor tool you can use to keep on progressing and not waste time with grip strength?
t. Hookgrip masterrace

>heavier than what your grip strength can handle. If you want to get stronger then using straps while separately training grip is much better than stalling your deadlift progression just to avoid straps.
>>>
> Anonymous 10/03/17(Tue)17:45:17 No.43079660▶
Holy shit does anybody here actually deadlift 4pl8+? If you actually hit intermediate strength levels, you will realise that he is right

Why even use a bar then? It's just a specific tool that lets you lift what you can't naturally handle. You should be able to just lift the stack of plates up from the floor.

>t. griplet
sucks to be you bro

What is your double overhand deadlift?

if you are gonna use straps, do yourself a favor and train your grip strenght. Thank me later.

Why are you bothering with fitness if you're okay with cutting corners or neglecting a highly valuable muscle group? Ignoring grip strength on one of the best lifts for grip strength is just lazy, and improving grip strength will improve all other lifts that require you to hold something in your hands.

it's not about whether the lift, the motion, or the nature of the lift is natural, it's about having the raw strength to do the lift without needing an aid to do it.

>BUT BRO YOU STALL YOUR DEADLIFT PROGRESSION
>BRO MY INSTAGRAM GAINS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN HAVING THE FUNDAMENTAL STRENGTH TO ACTUALLY LIFT MY DUDE LMAO
>TRAIN THEM SEPARATE BRO

If you can't perform a lift without help, then you can't perform the lift. That's the simple truth. If you're okay with using straps then that's on you, but it means that you're okay with not being able to actually perform at the level you think that you've reached. It's the same as people that put a cushion on their shoulders when they squat. If you can't do it, don't do it until you can. At least have enough pride to admit that you can't actually do it yet.

Do you guys really think that using straps = no grip strength? You still warmup without them. Once your max gets higher, your warmup weight gets higher, meaning you grip heavier weights without straps.
I stopped using mixed grip at a 3.5pl8 deadlift max. Straps for reps, Hook grip for 1-3 reps. Double overhand warmup.
I can double overhand 4pl8 easy, with my max hook grip being a little over 5 pl8s.
Also, believe it or not, you use your grip strength with all pulling motions and even while pressing for stabilisation. It is not like you absolutely negelct grip strength by using straps on fucking deadlifts.

FUCK bro I didn't even think about that.

I think that using straps on a particular lift means you don't have the grip strength to do that lift, yes.

>b-but I warm up without them!

Good then you know how much you can actually lift, start there until you don't have shit grip strength. If your arms are already moving all that weight it should be ezpz.

You're projecting way too hard with the instagram shit, nobody has even said anything about it other than you.

The only thing being aided is your grip, every other muscle is still working at full capacity to do the lift which gives you the vast majority of the benefits of the compound lift

>needing straps for 3pl8
Is this a meme? I pull double overland and have zero grip issues. Not at 4 pl8 yet tho so we will see down the road.

Guess this guy isn't doing anything right? Give me a break

I never tried to do a work set with overhand. I use it while I'm warming up but that's it. I think the heaviest warm up set I've done while still using overhand is around 365. My 1RM on mixed is ~540

Where does the post say that he lifts 3pl8 with straps?

Then I don't get the argument about mixed grip. I also could mix grip the 5pl8s instead of hook or straps. Am I now strong enough for this weight? Mixed grip is just like straps, a tool to improve your grip, with the difference being you do not need any equipement for it, but pay with muscular imbalances.

He's not picking up the bar without help, no, so my point stands. Also don't use strongmen or olympic lifters as your comparison unless you're also lifting at that level. If you are lifting at that level, stop caring so much about Veeky Forums's opinion and go lift more.

My grip is already struggling at 100 and I deadlift 185 for reps last time I tried (I don't train deads anymore).

Kgs obviously

True. I could understand why he would say "well mix grip counts because it is your hands doing it". Why not hook grip then huh?

I can do 3 reps with overhand then switch to mixed on last two

You made your own case. You can do mixed grip if you want, and you can use straps if you want, it's your fucking lifts. If you mix grip then you risk injury and imbalances so that's on you, just like it's on you to realize that straps will limit your grip strength. Overhand is the least risky, most balanced, and highest level of strength required overall so why bother with the others? If my forearms can't keep up and cause me to stall, it's the same as if my biceps can't, or my core can't, or my legs can't I muscle group crucial to this skill isn't ready to do this yet, so I get it ready.

It is not, because you actually can't do shit about the other things but train them. I do not want to sacrifice improving all of my body just because my grip isn't strong enough.
Also, once you get stronger on deadlifts, you will realize that there is no linear relationship between grip strength gains and weight you can deadlift. Your ability to deadlift WILL INEVITABLY exceed your grip strength. So sometime you will get stuck deadlifting a weight you could rep out for 15 times, but not being able to do so, because you only have the grip for 1 rep.

Exactly, and right there and then, he turns the deadlift from a full body movement to a grip strength drill.

All I can think of is that webm of Obama doing the combination of DB lunges, curls and shoulder press which always gets posted which gets flamed since he's wasting his time by limiting his lunge and shoulder press weight to his curl weight. You're essentially doing the same thing by limiting deadlifts to your grip strength but for some reason you're convinced this is correct.

my mixed is weaker. I pull 200kgs and with mixed I struggle with 170.

150 with overhand and 0 with mixed grip because I don't use it. So I think that's a ∞% difference. It's a lot.

>∞%
>Veeky Forums tries to do math

Daily reminder that there is NOTHING wrong with straps.

When you do deadlifts, are you training deadlifts, or your grip?
Fuck off.

I don't get how almost everyone's dead is bottle-necked by grip strength.

Everything is a grip workout: Pullups? Grip work. Opening a jar? Grip work. Using a hammer? Grip work. Carrying around shit? Grip work. etc etc.

150/0=∞ what I'm I doing wrong!?

warm-up with overhand and do hard sets with mixed

no reason to let your progress stall because of just grip strength

>0 with mixed grip because I don't use it. So I think that's a ∞% difference.
>If I have 150 candies and distribute them to 0 children, then every child will get ∞ candies
No you retard, it means that even the question is wrong. That's what "can't divide by 0" means
Furthermore, "I don't use it" doesn't mean that your mixed grip 1rm is actually 0

Low quality bait.

I use straps but never lift more than I can hook-grip at least once (hook grip can be risky to use too much due to nerve damage to thumbs)
If you can't double overhand or hookgrip the weight, it's likely that your low back can't handle the weight either.

None of those have anywhere near the intensity of a 5rm deadlift unless you have a ridiculously strong weighted pull-up.

faggot

that would be negative infinity if anything

I had to use straps on my deadlifts before I got a summer job landscaping: pulling weeds, picking up millions of medium sized rocks, hefting around wheelbarrows of soil.

None of that was particularly intense by itself. But the sheer volume made my forearms blow up and never had to use straps afterwards. It seems that forearms are kind like calves in that low intensity high volume works wonders for them.

I've been wearing those same vans for 2 years to the gym every day. Good shoes.

Can confirm. Started using straps since I realized grip strength was probably why I stopped progressing. Now I'm just barely able to get 2 sets before straps, before I could hardly do 1.

Any good exercises for grip strength during diddlys? Was thinking about just ordering some CoC grippers but not sure how effective they are.

Plain old wrist curls and reverse wrist curls work just fine. Aim for 15-30 reps.

Also: w. dead hangs, farmers walks, roll outs. Grippers are nice too, but get expensive if you want the good ones.

You essentially did excess grip training to allow your grip to keep up with the progress that your hamstrings, spinal erectors, etc. were making through deads which proves what I was saying if anything.

I cant even dead 120 with double overhand for reps before my grip gives up.
I'm a handlet and wristlet is there any hope?

>do deads and train forearms at same time to not need straps
>do only deads and depend on straps
how did you come to the conclusion that option no.2 is the better one?

B-but Veeky Forums taught me that wrist curls are dangerous and for gains goblins. I'll probably stick to some dead hangs and some quality grippers for now.

I've been saying the whole time to train forearms separately while using straps, much to the dismay of the faggots earlier in the thread. The reason I specify use straps and separately is because most people don't have a job that allows them to train forearms for essentially whole working days.

>I've been saying the whole time to train forearms separately while using straps,
Nevermind then, didn't read the thread from the beginning.

I will admit, my wrist tendons did hurt a bit when doing wrist curls at first. But just as long as you take it easy, they aren't that bad. Same thing as with regular curls: don't go into low rep territory, if your tendons start hurting like hell back of a bit.

can go thumbless on 3 pl8

i'll be unable to maintain good form long before my grip goes

t. rockclimber

I pull my warmup and 1 rep max with overhand, but my working sets are mixed grip to place more emphasis on the back then the grip

Division by zero is not defined you fucktards. The correct answer is that there is no answer.

Hook grip master race