Any (ex)alcoholics on fit?

Any (ex)alcoholics on fit?

How do/did you cope?

I fear I am slipping into it. I looked at my shopping bill for this month and I was averaging 10L of 40% liquor a week. Is there anything I can replace it with? Or am I simply going to have to "cold turkey" it? The euphoria it gives me is honestly so good, it doesn't compare to anything else.

Mind you I aphaven't stopped lifting because of it, I simply stopped eating a lot of meals to country treat the amount of alcoholic calories I am ingesting.

My SO recently found out how much I have been drinking and she wasn't too pleased, she didn't really even understand why I drink "so much" to start with. This is the real trigger for me wanting to change my behaviour, if not for her I would have thought nothing of it and continued on my happy way.

Other urls found in this thread:

health.harvard.edu/addiction/overcoming-addiction-find-an-effective-path-toward-recovery
health.harvard.edu/addiction/alcohol-use-and-abuse
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Counter act*
Phone posting and auto correct.

How did she only just find out you're drinking more than a 40 per day? Also that's like 2800 calories of alcohol are you fat?

Stop as soon as possible you idiot, alcoholism is a really fucking serious problem

I am not fat, like I said, I account for the calories.
As to her not finding out, you'd be surprised at how easy it is, as long as she doesn't find bottles, receipts or your drunken ass she'll be none the wiser. Sadly, or luckily maybe, she found a receipt I had left in a grocery bag.

I wouldn't consider myself an alcoholic yet, I haven't upped my consumption in the last month, nor is it really affecting my day to day life. It is simply my SO who wS really unhappy about which got me thinking about how cutting back would probably be a good idea.

Think about your liver, ever feel pain in your side? Stop now before it's too late.

>drinking 10 L of hard alcohol a week
>i.e. more than 1 L a DAY of something like scotch or vodka
>not an alcoholic

Do you seriously believe that? Go drink more then, moron. Don't say you weren't warned.

Well I just didn'twant to co e across as "le edgy alcoholic" as I know there are people who drink a lot more than I do. I am not saying I don't have a problem, I merely didn't want to be melodramatic about it.

No pain ever, only been drinking like this for the past 2-3 years, before that I was more or less a teatoler aside from the occasional party.

Ya well it sounds like you have a serious problem. I would be wasted all day every day if I drank that much. I guess the tolerance meme is real

I function normally really. I get a quick buzz going in the morning by downing the equivalent of 2 shots. The rest I drink when I get home, a couple of shots the moment I come through the door, and then a nice "mind blanket" as I start to prepare to go to bed.

Oh, where I love a shot is the equivalent of 2 Anglo shots apparently; so 4 shots in the morning, then about 8 when I come home. After that I slowly finish the bottle throughout the remainder of the evening before I head to bed.

Mate, you are HIDING BOTTLES AND RECEIPTS FROM YOUR GIRLFRIEND. You have a problem. Please, sincerely, stop.

OP have you consider trying to drinking 9L a week then 8L and so on?

Well it was more of a don't ask, don't tell thing. I wasn't really hiding as much as I simply wasn't showing. But I get your point and I am cutting down, I however don't see myself cutting it out completely. I can act all cool and say "from tomorrow onwards I won't touch a drop of alcohol ever again", but I know myself well enough to know that won't be true.

Yea, but does this work? Surely if it were so easy there wouldn't be an alcoholic on earth?
Currently I am telling myself I am a weak pathetic little faggot whenever I want to grab a drink, it works to an extent, but I still feel like shit and I can't say I cut it all out doing this, not even close.

> homeless heroin addict and alcoholic from 18 to 23.
> end up in the hospital a couple times and accept the inevitability of my own death.
> instead go to AA and get help from the people there.
> the stuff the tell me to do seems dumb but I do it anyway.
> start geelong better after a while and start to realize that I can help people too.
> get Veeky Forums and become a functioning member of society, have a large group of close friends and a good relationship with my family.
> been sober for six years now and never want to drink or get high.
> feels good man

If I could do it, you can do it user. I believe in you. Just don't be afraid or too proud to get help from people who have been through the same thing.

How did you end up homeless? So far I have not let my drinking affect my finances. In fact it is the main reason I haven't been drinking more, if I did I would have to cut financial corners elsewhere or start drinking cheap shit, and I really can't stand drinking cheap shit.

I was doing up to a gram of heroin a day or the equivalent in pills or whatever and the shit is really expensive. Couldn't keep a job. I wasn't homeless the whole time, people would let me stay with them for a while or I would move in with my dad until I got kicked out again. I had nice clothes and bathed so I could steal liquor pretty easily or go to bars and tey to get people to buy me drinks. Got old pretty quick desu.

>I was averaging 10L of 40% liquor a week.
Nigga! Get your ass to AA or something! That's a lot of frikin booze. If I drink 1/2 a liter in one night (duration of 4-6 hours), I can't walk straight; any more alcohol than that and I'm liable to black-out and do things I don't remember. I'm 230 lbs and been drinking for years so I'm not exactly a lightweight.

>going to have to "cold turkey" it?
Don't do that. That euphoric feel you get is because the alcohol causes large amounts of dopamine to be released. This feels good in people who don't naturally have a correct balance. Different people are able to get a "rush" by different means, hence why some people become addicted to alcohol while others gambling, sex, shopping, etc, and others simply "don't like" drugs like we do (who have normal levels). Unfortunately, with alcohol, the neurons in the brain tend to "turn down the volume", by becoming less sensitive to it. This is how building tolerance works simplified; your brain literally changes to adopt. This also means that if you quit cold turkey after consuming so much, those neurons will still be expecting high levels of dopamine, and require it to function. If you suddenly remove it, it can really fuck you up.

I don't have enough time to go on about it too much, but I got all my information from reading these two publications:
health.harvard.edu/addiction/overcoming-addiction-find-an-effective-path-toward-recovery
health.harvard.edu/addiction/alcohol-use-and-abuse

I haven't completely quit drinking, but I probably would have if I actually stuck with the book. ....and wanted to completely quit drinking lol. Forgive me if I got any terms wrong. I'm no biologist and it's been several years since I read the publications.

Thanks for those links, will start reading them right now.

I barely feel anything on what I drink btw, a slight buzz and a good feeling, not a whole lot more. I can still code monkey on it, still hold conversations without anyone knowing I have been drinking, basically anything and everything I can still do. The only thing I do not do is drive or do anything else that might endanger others, it is all nicely contained within my own home and head.
I honestly didn't even think it was all that much compared to "seasoned alcoholic veterans", but going by the reactions in this thread thus far I seem to be wrong about that.

Do note that when I am not sleeping, I drink. So those 4 hours of yours are closer to 16-18 for me, and a hefty amount of my daily intake is taken in the hours before I head to bed, so I get to sleep of a lot of it too, so in all honesty those 4 hours of yours are closer to 24/7 of mine.

>Yea, but does this work?
It's the way you're going to have to do it (because of what I mentioned in )

>I still feel like shit and I can't say I cut it all out doing this
You never will cut out whatever "it" is by drinking. Alcohol magnifies emotions, both good and bad. If you're feeling unhappy or depressed, it'll just intensify those feelings, so drinking is one of the worst ways of dealing with those emotions. Srsly, check out those publications. IMO they're great reads even if you're not addicted to anything. I wish there was a way I could give you copies legally.

>ywn wife anyone THIS cute
Why live?

Ironically I have family members who are medfags so so I can get my hands on publications easily. I however didn't feel like admitting this to them (which is why my question was posed here rather than IRL) I didn't even think it was that much of a problem, but now that I have seen the reaction of a bunch of Veeky Forums anons, I certainly do not want to experience the reaction of my normie family. Still though, now that I know what I am looking for I can just ask for some access and look up the publications myself, rather than going "hey, you know any good publications on alcoholism, asking for a "friend"".