SWIM THREAD

>able to show off gains en full
>trains your whole body
>heart and lungs improve a fuckton
>no sore ankles or knees
>get to sneak peak at qt's

is there a single person on Veeky Forums who swims? i dont think ive ever seen a thread for it.

Other urls found in this thread:

ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I swim on rest days. I post in the swim threads, but they never get bumped. Whereas at least /run/ general gets a decent number of replies.
I get the feeling Veeky Forums is full of dyels and fatties who can't swim and are afraid to expose their bodies in public

Used to compete but it was just too time consuming in the end

no its cus its additionally time-consuming in relation to running or the gym and having access to a pool is lower than a gym

Swimmers always look off somehow.. something about the legs just being limp basically, zero hip involvement in anything.

Its fun and good for you, but shouldnt be relied on on its own

i'm not a lifter i'm a runner/calisthenics guy. gf broke her ankle so we'll start swimming as soon as she's able to.

something i should know? i grew up with a big pool so i'm kind of good at swimming but still far from expert. will it be good enough?

keep your head down

i used to swim on my off days but im just too sore these days. i still go diving or surfing most weekends so i work out my swimming muscles but yeah

Swim three times a week, last some gains but in the long term. It's not about making gains. It's about living a healthy balanced lifestyle

How do I start properly swimming? Is there a guide for form and slightly increasing goals like the couch to 5k one? I wanna be able to pass the lifeguard exam by spring but I've never actually swam outside of recreation.

My local pool is home to a posse of elderly men who seem to spend several afternoons a week just swimming and chatting with each other. They all look the same: leathery as fuck (open air pool), decently broad shoulders, Hank Hill ass.

Because you can run literally whenever and wherever you want, whereas you can only swim in a body of water that may or may not be nearby, and if it's nearby, open to you at that particular time.

When I can get up at 2am and take a little night swim instead of a jog to help me sleep better, then I'll post in those swim threads too.

Be honest guys, how many of you have pissed in the pool?

maybe if I had access to a pool

my gym is part of the pool so i just do a couple laps for my warmup

>been considering adding cardio into my lifting schedule, but not sure how to do it
>swimming would be a pretty good option since there is a pool at my uni and stuff

how often do you swim/do any type of cardio in a 5 day a week lifting program (Doing PHAT just for reference)?
Should I just swim on my rest days (the weekends)?

Dig a hole in your yard

most old men have hank hill ass though

what is a good progression for getting started in swimming?
not like i dont know how to swim, i am just out of shape cardio wise, so i get very tired from swimming

In the beginning only focus on time.

So, instead of saying: I want to swim 10, 20 laps or I want to swim 100yards in 1:10 etc, think: I will swim for 5 minutes without stopping. Then take a break (no more than like 3 minutes) and swim for another 5. Maybe next week go to 10 with the same short rests in bewtween.

I swim. It's hard. I like it.

Swimming is too expensive here (NZ). Sea is cold as fuck and I have no wetsuit, and any pools are overpriced.

What swiming trunks should I get ?

Buy a nice full body wetsuit for 200 dollars online, googles, swim cap, safety bouy (that also keeps your stuff dry), and even fins if you want to swim fast would all come in under 100
So for 300 dollars you could have a very nice swimming setup, you are fortunate enough to live by a sea unlike most of us, and still make excuses as to why you can't do something, at least a legitimate argument would be "I don't like swimming, I have tried it and it is not for me"

Lifeguard master race here. I watch the water for half of each hour and spend the other half doing laps. There’s scarcely a better feeling than getting fit and getting paid at the same time. Cold showers give a sweet endorphin rush too.

Always shower before and after; pools are chlorinated bandaid-and-old-people gazpacho.

Fuck no. I haven’t done that since I was a little shithead kid. Pool chemicals keep the water from turning into a petri dish but the urine doesn’t just go away. It fucks up the pH brah.

Came back to the pool today to do time trials after two years off and managed 27 seconds for 50 free, pretty pleased, need to work on it though

I don't swim as much as I want to because when I'm finished I usually feel dizzy, weak and have a massive headache.
Otherwise it's a 9/10 activity only just beaten by the trampoline

Seriously...., I think I was 4 yo last time, it's disgusting.
I enjoy doing it at the beach tho.

You can do it during lifting rest days. That's the best option. Water is very kind to muscle soreness.
I started like that and them moved into a 4 days/week routine. Swimming in the morning before going to the office and then lifting during the evening. Feels good.

You're looking at $300 for a decent steamer & find are around $80. Ocean can get cold as fuck in NZ so you probably need a wetsuit cap & gloves which is another $50 or whatever.

Shits expensive. No way a kiwi/Aussie could get what you said on just $300

I'm just gonna give a run down on swimming gear in case anyone else is wondering

First things first avoid swimming trunks.
Jammers are best, but you could also go with the square legged suits. Tyr is a good brand. For sizing, don't just go with your pants size. You wanna measure your waist from bare skin and go off of that.

Speedo Vanquisher 2.0 w/ mirror lenses is best for goggles. If you take care of them they hold up well and with the mirrored lenses you can check out qts

Swim caps aren't really a necessity unless you have long hair, but even with short hair they're still nice to use.

After swimming be sure to rinse off all your gear with fresh water. Personally I've noticed my shit wears out faster if I don't, plus it helps (somewhat) with the smell of chlorine. But you should probably learn to love the smell if you're gonna commit to swimming because there isn't much you can do about it.

Speaking of chlorine, you might wanna invest in some chlorine removal shampoo. I personally use UltraSwim, however I've had people tell me that it doesn't work well for them. So you'll have to just try different types i guess.

If you have issues with getting water stuck in your ears you can get waterproof earplugs or ear drying drops. On a similar note they make nose plugs for swimming but I've never needed/used them so I can't really touch on those.

25 here and I can't swim or float for shit. Can I learn how to swim on my own or should I go to a swimming instructor?

nah not on ur own. get at least someone who knows how to swim to teach you. i'm teaching someone rn who's the same as u. lmao taught her how to float last lesson.

hahahah holy fuck good luck dude

Christ, she's proper ugly

>My gym is actually part of swimming complex
>Haven't seen more than 3 people at time at the gym
I don't swim laps, just use the hydrotherapy pool to do stretches and light breast stroke

Seconding the Jammer pill

Had a pair of Speedo Endurance a while back that were amazing

Will take your advice on goggles, moved recently and had to get a new pair, and they're total dogshit

Yup, worked fucking wonders for me:

ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html

It's a little less forgiving than Couch to 5k, but it's a shorter timeframe too. The breathing restriction is ESSENTIAL, so stick to it like your life depends on it, it'll help immensely

But most teenaged waterpolo players have a hank Hill ass too. They just look flabby

Swim almost every day OP
When i lived in cali the boys and i would do 2 mile ocean swim with fins on weekends
But on weekdays regular pool swims
I would interchange it with swim,lift,run/ run swim lift/ run lift swim/ run swim run/ swim run swim.
Shits amazing for muscle soreness your joints and that high afterwards is always nice

I swim twice a week, most fun cardio I've tried and you feel great afterwards

Buy goggles. If they fog up, spit on the insides. Caps and special suits aren't mandatory for what you're doing. Play around with the big 4 strokes and find what you like. Have fun!

would also swim more but this desu senpai
running is just as good cardio wise and much more time effective for me

I don't like how quickly jammers wear out. For casual swimming I just use trunks. I don't care about my times and they last forever.

I do it every time...

Weights 6x days per week, every workout followed by laps in the pool. 2/3 free, 1/3 breast. The VA suggested I do this instead of running on my shitty knees. 10/10 would recommend.

Fucking hell. Get a pair of PT shorts from your local Army surplus store for $6 before you blow your was on Speedo shit.

By the Gods, there's a psychopath on the loose!

How do I relax? I guess I'm one of those faggots they call "sinkers". I'm so tense, I have to fight the water every time. I have decent cardio from running but I get winded after a couple of laps in the pool because I try too hard.

Pls help, I'm moving to an apartment with a pool soon and I want to make swimming my main cardio.