Looking back on when you first started lifting/exercising, what were some dumb things you did?

Looking back on when you first started lifting/exercising, what were some dumb things you did?

not getting on a proper program quicker. Other than that, no. The internet exists, there is no room for failure when you have all the information in the world right on your cumstained computer.

squat and deadlift

quarter-half repping squats/bench for about 2 years. the friend that "taught" me how to lift let me do this, and I never knew this was wrong until I found Veeky Forums and youtube. I wasted so much time being a half-shitter :c

caring about my 1rm

doing heavy singles

not doing enough cardio

not warming up

-1500kcal deficiet, only 1 rest day a week, I lost 20kg in a short amount of time but had little muscle development

I didn't get on a proper program, and didn't do squats or deadlifts....

You didn't do them? Or you did them?

What do you do to warm up?

>3 sets, 12, 12, 10

Thought the 12, 12, 10 was one set.
Did 34 rep sets of bicep curls for 4 months. 5 years later arms still small.

10-15 mins of light cardio is a good general purpose warmup. or a lot of very light reps of your main lift. e.g., for my leg day warmup i'll alternate sets of 20 goblet squats with 35lbs with box jumps, and do 5 or 6 rounds of that.

believed Veeky Forums

did not believe Veeky Forums

Not enough cardio when I was younger, not doing enough research to get into a proper routine, not following a strict diet plan.

Didnt ask out this girl before i got on roids and destroyed my face

only did upper body exercises and overtrained my wrists from a year of doing about 20 sets of bicep curls every day in between queues in wow. Still can't move my wrists the same way and get pains from lifting to heavy if I haven't worked out in a while

Stopping...

I've stopped like 5 times over the last few years (for months at a time).

Starts off skipping a day, that turns into two that turns into weeks that turns into months.

I'd be cut as fuck and hyooge if I wasn't such a lazy unmotivated piece of shit.

Literally no leg workouts
No workout routine
>tfw been bulking since birth

Holy fuck are you me. Started gym October 2013 and don't look any different to how I did October 2014. Made no serious gains in like 4 years because I just kept stopping and restarting over and over for three fucking years. I've told myself this is the time I commit though. I've been going 4 times a week or more and have gained 8kg since June, still look hardly different though. Worst part is I crashed my car and have no way to go to gym so am terrified it's gonna restart again.

I started in 2013 but got cucked by uni. Then once I started again I broke my thumb. Then I got cucked by uni. Then I broke my toe. And every time I'd initially feel bad about stopping, then proceed to take half a year off before getting off my ass and getting in shape. Been consistent for the past couple years now.

>cucked by uni
excuses, excuses, excuses, in uni you should have the most time to go to the gym in your entire life

ease off, breh. some people just want to be cucked

Not if youre a poorfag that also works a job. Im not that user though so i did both, making great gains too

>not working a Veeky Forums job so you get gains AND get paid for it
who /warehouse/ here?

Just doing curls in my bedroom. I remember curling my moms 8lb dbs. I also remember dropping it on my toe and losing it. Ha good times.

I would tell myself to start at a gym way sooner!

>dont do stiff leg deadlifts
>you will forever have fucked up lumbar

I also curled my mom's 8 lb dumbbells when I first started lol.

poked my bicep really hard with my finger when i was really stressed out and tired in order to break down the muscle fibers and make them grow faster. ended up with scars that took a year to heal lmao, didnt make my biceps any bigger either, thought i could trigger some micro tears lol i wanted arms like piana back then

not squatting and deadlifting

literally only curled 20 lb dumbells, benched and clean & pressed every other day for almost 2 years.

good thing i started early (16, 20 now) and got all the retardation out of the way

Lmao

Holy shit my sides

Training like an absolute madman instead of finding a proper program, i spent well over 2 hrs per session

Caring about the opinions of weaklings

Caring too much about weight instead of proper form, time under tension and controlling the negative.

When I was 12-13 I used to punch myself in the stomach before bed to try to get a six pack. I'd put my fists in two or three pairs of socks so my mom and sister couldn't hear me.

Got trolled by Veeky Forums into becoming a pseudo powerlifter

>doing a brosplit
>not being consistent
>bitch weight for high reps
>skipping leg day

Actually believed the over training myth that lazy cunts swear by. I go 7 days a week now and I've had no problems.

That wasn't really a dumbbell, son

Doing loadsa isolations thinking they're worth shit when compounds are 10 times better.

Lifting boxes off the shelf for the sweet old lady to stock the floor with at work.

Makes me feel great inside and out, user

>not getting on a proper split
>doing exclusively squat bench deadlift and rejecting most other lifts
>form breaking down but not giving a shit
>not doing cardio

When I was 12 I remember seeing on TV those sweat suits on infomercials that fat people would get into and come out a couple of seconds later really fit/skinny.

I took a garbage bag, climbed inside of it and punched my legs/arms through the sides. Then I used the bag handles at the top to tie it lightly around my neck and went to bed. Thought I could get He-Man's body by sweating at night.

Did this twice

Atleast you have body that 10% of Veeky Forums approves now and 90% finds something to complain, so really GF cant compare to that am I right?

Also when I was 15 I had gotten really into paganism and Harry Potter. I went online to look for spells to make me attractive.

Tried to use black magic to get a six pack(and maybe super powers like Goku)

>willing to make a deal with the devil but unwilling to put down the ice cream and go for a jog.

Well at least now we all know for certain magic doesn't work.

Starting lifting at all, completely pointless when you're ugly and time would have been better spent honing a skill.

>cumstained computer
you, sir, winz the internetz for the winz!
Take my upvote and hold it dearly!

>60rep 5lbs curls
>dumbbell only routine
>no progressive overload at all
>

Looking back at it all, if i hadnt done all those dumbass things i wouldve been far ahead by this time. But if i hadnt done all those glorious dumbass things i wouldnt be where i am now in the first place.

Bulk too fast
Cut too slow

make my own routine
use machines
tried to cut while skinnyfat and missed out on some of my noob gains

Nothin wrong with making your own routine you fool

not when you're a beginner and don't know what you're doing. It took me months to get on a program that worked and didn't make gains until then

>Looking back on when you first started lifting/exercising, what were some dumb things you did?
Tell everyone and trying to make it obvious that I lift

Nowadays I hide that shit like HIV because it's just cringy

The dumbest thing I did to my body, by far, was believing in the bulking meme. That isn't to say bulking doesn't exist, it does, but there is this toxic culture on the internet that it involves a) eating a shitton of calories every day and b) not caring about what you eat, getting fat and then cutting for months or a year afterwards.

The problem is, this tactic is perpetuated by bodybuilders who are on tons and tons of drugs, and the reason they do it is because whenever they start cutting the fat will just melt right off. This doesn't happen for a normal person. So what happens is, you have a bunch of guys eating 500+ calories over their maintenance and just getting chubby, completely unaware it was possible to attain a lean, athletic body and still develop muscle.

Also this , which is just another mindset perpetuated by those bodybuilders -- and again, they only do it because literally anything will work when you're on a certain amount of drugs. Fitness and bodybuilding are not related at all.

Not a mistake.
I'm on this train. Priority no. 1 is losing fat, bro. Muscle will come eventually when returning to normal cal intake.

These...

Basically you need to spend quite a time in this shithole to identify the true info anons give. And that info is really useful. Too much memeing and /pol has turned this into a disaster.

There's nothing you can get here that you can't get anywhere else on the internet

You either misunderstood what bulking means or were led by retards. You can bulk cleanly.

Isn't cutting while skinnyfat smart? You make noob gains on a deficit as well to my understanding.

>lifting an appropriate amount of weight with correct form only works for bodybuilders on drugs

What some people on Veeky Forums call a clean bulk is too much. You can't just expect to put fat on and off without messing yourself up. 500 should be the biggest surplus you're ever on IMO.

This. No such thing as overtraining, only under-recovering.

>use machines

Not all machines are bad hombre

With all that information it can be conflicting so there would be room for error

Can't really look back cause i'm just starting now and doing dumb shit.

I think he mentioned my post to say that focusing only on the weight instead of lifting with proper form, with the appropriate weight and focusing on time under tension and negatives is dumb, not the opposite.

literally useless

Machines only for like 3 months. Not doing Squats/deadlifts or any other real kind of Legrelated training for at least the first half year. Doing Smith machine Bench press, doing way too much Chest and Biceps and barely did anything other than that. Not doing Compounds at all, i've just discovered what (Barbell) Rows were like one year after i started to train. I didn't care much about a controlled movement, did everything swinging, cheating and whatever else you could imagine..

I FUCKING BASICALLY DID EVERYTHING WRONG

I wasted at least 2 years doing pretty much nothing but Bullshit

basically everything

5 years training, just now commited to SL and have 80 kg squat, 90 dl, 45 ohp, 55 row, 4 reps chins

what a retard. fuck.

How do people accidentally quarter or half rep on bench? You bring it all the way down until it hits your chest. Squats I can sort of get and I did the same thing at first too.

I saw a guy 1/8th repping 60kg once who looked like he just started lifting and I don't understand how anyone can even think that's right.

no. You should bulk to MAXIMIZE noob gains. Imo noob shouldn't cut. They should take advantage of the novice effect by growing as much as much as possible as fast as possible. novice will put on mass faster then any other point in their lifting career. Drop the fat later on

>PxPxLxx

Also was a skinny fuck and didn't watch my diet at all. Didn't eat nearly enough. Developed some muscle definition but my lifts were super weak and stalled. Started on a full body routine a year later, fell for the bulking meme. Lifts progressed tremendously, but got chubby, and hurt my knees and lumbar due to 3x5 heavy sets. Cut for a bit, now just eat at maintenance and lift lighter weights 3x8 or so. Running a modified phrak's greyskull with 3x8, basically. Need to do more cardio

Pretty much all of these.

Not doing cardio during a bulk was probably the worst. I remmeber I hopped on the scales once and had ballooned up like 15 pounds in a month and a half because of that.

didn't