>"nah bro, it's good to just focus on legs for one day, than arms the next"
>im 6'1 and 125-130 pounds
>he instructs me on how to do barbell squats, helps me out
>alright this is cool
>he puts 25 pound weights on each side
>oh fuck
>try to lift
>barely make it, he has to pull me back up. Makes me do this for a full set
>put bar back, legs feel like they don't even work anymore, nearly fucking destroyed
>"alright now you gotta do these other things too"
>able to do a little more, proceed to leave for the day without doing some sets because my legs are pretty much done
>now, 3 days later
>still haven't gone back for arm day, i can't do a squat without agonizing pain in my thighs and collapsing
>walking still hurts
>legs are still sore as fuck

What the fuck do I do? Is this how it's supposed to be on the first day? I can't go back because I can't even bend over to pick up any weights. Do I just wait it out until I'm good again and go back?

A-Am I gonna make it?

Nope

Its called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). it'll go away and reduce in duration the more you go to the gym and use those muscles. It's okay to start slow, so just go back when you're able. Just don't leave it too late, like more than a week or so, so you don't lose progress and motivation

>recommends brosplit
>lets you start with too much weight
>too much volume for beginner often leads to tendinitis
tell his boss about it and get him fired

this

You never start with to much weights on. You learn the technique first with empty bar or light weights and then you add upon that.

>Is this how it's supposed to be on the first day?
it usually is worst after the 2nd day of workout that's when everything kicks in... you will be fine after 2 weeks! But then again if all you do is to grow the weight you lift it will be a constant soar muscle and you will start to like the hurtingpain when you make certain moves... it gets better just be persistent

Blows my mind people can't squat 40kg the first time in the gym I thought they would have been blown away in strong winds by now

You asked Chad for lifting advice and he loaded on too much weight, that's all it is.

The same thing happened to me when I went to the gym the first time with my friends. They'd been lifting for years and just got me to to do the same routine they were doing but maybe only like 10 kgs lighter. I couldn't sit down properly for a week.

60kg. You forgot the bar. That's easily too much for a complete beginner if they're doing it for reps.

It's just beginner DOMS.

I couldn't walk down or up a set of stairs for 2 days after my first set of squats.

lol sorry re-read OPs post. Yeah 40 kg really should be manageable for a beginner...
Sorry OP you're just weak.

Second this. 60kg is WAY too much for a first day. I remember struggling with 55kg.

First day should have been bar only, focus on form and showing the different exercises and machines.

25 a side + the bar is way too much for a complete beginner. I'm sure you can lift it but because you'll get DOMS (as someone else mentioned) and your form probably isn't great yet, it's better to just use the bar.

Well You should start with full body workout. I can send here example workout for first month or two. Just wait for a while.

nice math

>he didn't put you through warmup
>no stretching routine either
your trainer is shit, and everyone begins with an empty bar. Even with deadlifts.

25lb is 10kg. 2 x 10 + 20 for the bar is 40

this

Oops. Only read his comment, didn't bother to convert.

Anyway, 40kg is still a bit too much for a beginner.

what kind of fucking retard would load up 1 pl8 for a skeleton who looks like he has never done a squat in his life? that guy is a retard, dont listen to him, and dont do a fucking brosplit.

Did you stretch afterwards? Are you eating enough of the right stuff?

thread just reinforcing my belief that PT's are paid to hang around and clean the gym, and occasionally give terrible advice to old/young people.
t. one of my best friends is a PT, studied physiotherapy and some things for a few years, writes me a routine up and after 1 week I can already tell it's absolute dog shit.

For first few weeks just do:
squat
bench press
deadlift
chin ups
4/5 series, 10/12 repeats
3x workouts in 1 week
Look on YT how to do them properly.

No, you can't deadlift with an empty bar, and there's not point warming up or stretching when you squat for the first time

He just should have made him squat with the empty bar

it was 40kg counting the bar, lrn 2 metric

op i did 40kg for 8 reps when i first started, maybe its harder for you but fuck, man up, your not injured its just DOMS.
go do your fuckin arm day your not gonna be squatting.

And dont forget to do warm-ups. 10 minutes on bike or treadmill and 10 minutes stretching out.

Probably, but stretching does help with flexibility and form. And it is easier to squat with proper form.