Why can't I run for shit...

why can't I run for shit? I'm skinny and pretty average but when running on a treadmill my heartrate skyrockets to like 190 and I can only make it a half mile before I have to stop

My best time is an 11 minute mile, and 2 miles in 24 minutes, because I'm usually too exhausted to run consistently.

My ankles get tired too - feels like I'm running flat footed with my left foot, and it gets sore after just a mile.

what the hell am I doing wrong? is it just from lack of experience? I only run twice a week but I feel like it shouldn't be this damned hard

How much do you weigh/whats your height? Do you smoke? It sounds like your form isnt great, do you run on the inside or outside of your feet? Thats probably whats fucking up your ankles. Try focusing on your big toes and pointing them straight ahead of you. Also, try not to heel strike (land heel first) because its a lot more damaging to your joints.

I asked if you smoke just because when i started running i was on 20 a day and my lungs felt like sandpaper every time I ran and my times were slow until I just kept working on it.

Either way, you just gotta keep running. Make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day and before you run, dehydration on a run will make you feel like shit. Also, your breathing pattern is important; some people go in-in out-out, some people go IN 2-3-4 OUT 2-3-4 etc etc, but its always in time with their paces. Find a speed where you can run comfortably without getting too out of breath and just work on your breathing pattern. As you get more comfortable try upping the speed or elongating the distance.

Later on I would recommend doing some speed work like 800m repeats, but at the stage youre at at the moment you just need to get out and run as often as you can without overdoing it. Try couch to 5k if you havent already, it builds up a good cardio base from which to improve on. Also make sure you stretch off properly after runs and wear proper footwear.

Did you try breathing while running?

Actually not joking, breathing correctly is by far the most important part of any endurance exercise.

I'm 5'9" and 155 lbs. Don't smoke, but I think my form is pretty bad, yeah. I'll try that big toe trick, since I really do tend to land on my heels.

I've got a deviated septum, so I'm mostly stuck breathing through my mouth, don't know if that matters.

Haven't considered getting hydrated before running - I just take a sip and get going.

I'll take a look at couch to 5k. Run mostly on treadmill but I'll try just going outside for it. I have a feeling my form would be better if I got on the ground

I wear some fuckin new balances lol. they're pretty heavy but I'm not worried for now

Take care of that septum asap, you should NOT rely on your mouth for breathing in normal circumstances

Im 5'11, 85kg, I mouth breathe when I get tired, and I can do a sub 5 mile. Its much more important that you get a breathing pattern and stick to it. If you pant like a dog all youre doing is getting a little bit of oxygen then blowing it straight back out, in breath should be for at least a 2 count.
Yeah if you go on a run dehydrated it makes it feel shit a lot quicker. Go for a piss beforehand and if its yellow, youre a tad dehydrated. Just drink a few pints of water throughout the day.

The treadmill is alright but unless you have decent form you tend to just go slap slap slap slap. Try running outside, do the big toe trick, and if need be shorten up your strides and attempt to land on your midfoot. It might feel like youre spinning your wheels cartoonishly but its what marathon runners do.

Different guy but I swear you can get more air faster via mouth breathing, or at least thats what ive always found

you do, but he said

>in normal circumstances

sorry what I meant was I'm stuck mouth breathing when running... I can breathe through my nose normally but when I get winded it gets hard to manage the in thru nose out thru mouth properly

Of course you can, but that's when you're super tired. Normal mouthbreathing fucks your face.

Oh you mean doing everyday shit, not running. My bad

Running is a SKILL. You're undoubtedly trying to run as fast as you can and going anaerobic so your HR is maxing out. Try running at a SUSTAINABLE pace.

> run an aneorobic mile in 11 minutes

Nigga he would have to have blood like fucking sludge for that to be the case, its not exactly a sprint. Its more likely he just has no aerobic base whatsoever.

Didn't see the '11 minutes' part.
An 11 minute mile is, what, 5.5mph? You're right, he's weak and has no conditioning whatsoever. Just needs to jog at a sustainable pace for a bunch of weeks to start building some basic endurance.

wew lad, I was running a 6 minute mile when I was like 15 and I barely did sports

gotta go fast, slowfag nerds

Yeah my thoughts exactly, I recommended he do c25k to at least get a decent cardio base to work from.

Unless your 16 and therefore underage, or can now run faster than that, reliving your 15 year old glory days is a bit sad m80. The dude is just starting out and has clearly done very little fitness in his life, we all started somewhere.

would one of those
C25K apps work? I have an android

Ive never tried the apps but always worth a try, a watch does just as well.

probably am faster than that now, as I run regularly, but I've never been timed since I stopped having PE class, so who knows

I'm making fun of the guy because 11 minutes is fucking terrible and I remember girls doing better than that

> he doesnt time his runs so he knows his pace
U basic nigga

Because you're not actually Veeky Forums.