Novice Routine

Now that the dust has finally settled what is the best begunner routine? Is it SS, ICF 5x5, or something else entirely?

Other urls found in this thread:

oldschooltrainer.com/reg-parks-beginner-routine/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Greyskull LP

You won't ever get agreement.

I'd say it depends on just how novice we're talking about. Someone who's been active his whole life but never picked up a weight is in a very different situation to someone getting off the couch for the first time.

is pic related a good enough basis?

I'm 6'1" and 132lbs, 12-15% bf, for reference. Not unhealthy per se used to bike half an hour a day for 6 weeks straight in the summer.

SS.

Just do it man

Personally I liked SS.

Mind yo y I was doing two gym sessions a day, SS in the morning and accessories in the evening

If that's all you've ever done for exercise, you're probably more in the latter category than you realise.

At which point the question is mostly about how good your mobility, proprioception, basic size and strength, etc are. If they're really crap then often programs like SS or GSLP shit the bed because the base just isn't there to build off.

SS is probably the most focused, no-bullshit routine you can do as a beginner. It works extremely well if you do it as written, but honestly it's too hard for most people. You will find very few people IRL willing to add 5-10lbs to their squat 3 times a week for a long period of time.

heard bad things about ss but unsure if they're memes.

that's the plan man a ready signed up to a gym

thoughts on AllPros beginner routine?

>programs like SS or GSLP shit the bed because the base just isn't there to build off.

how would you gain a Base to build off?

wait how can it be hard if it's the Base for novices?

GZCLP is great
Can even arrange it for a 4 day split if you have too much time as a noob.

Mate honestly I have nothing but positive things to say about SS. All I'd say is if you have some weaknesses, throw one or two accessories in (max) to rectify.

Personally if you have the time like I did, you can do two workouts a day if you're keen enough

sadly I don't have the time for two a day buy this thread has changed my mind on SS.
what accessories did you throw in?

this looks pretty good why haven't I heard of it before?

What extra accessories would one do as a beginner? I don't want to do a minimalist program with 3 or 4 exercises

Ok so for my program on the day with deadlifts/shoulder press my evening workout was arms and core. For the day of bench/cleans (or rows) I did shoulders (lots of rear delt, upper back work like facepulls).

Id you dont have time for two, I'd add pull ups to your SS workouts, and maybe two exercises to focus on your upper back/rear delts (i love face pulls).

You dont need a strength base for beginner strength programs because the point of a beginner strength program is to build a good strength base. You can literally go from spooky skelly who can only lift the bar to 3pl8 diddly in 6 months following a basic beginner program.

The really basic shit most of us used to do as they were growing up but now don't - cardio, conditioning, simple bodyweight movements, generally moving rather than sitting around. Maybe some machine work if you really need remedial strength building.

SS is basic. That should not be confused with easy. The only way it really can work is for people willing to just about die in the weight room, because you're doing so little that you have to attack what you do with absolute intensity to get the benefits. And then you have to pull up and do it even heavier next time. That's hard mentally and physically.

anons, I've been running an SS with some iso on a CUT for the past month to get from skinnyfat to skelly before a bulk. Lost 7lbs and hitting my macros for muscle retention, but don't know if the linear progression program is best for novice on a cut. Then again, I do think lifting heavy and compounds are good for fat loss. Any advice?

Cut until you are a healthy bmi, but not skelly. Keep doing ss until your beginner gains stop. It doesnt matter if youre skinnyfat or skelly, youre going to look like shit until youve got some actual muscle mass on you so don't worry about cutting to a low bf% until youve got some.

>3pl8
lads I'm a newfag to Veeky Forums what does all this (number)pl8 stuff mean? also what's 1 2 3 4?

one plate is a 45lb plate. 1pl8 is that on each side of the bar, plus the bar, so 135lb. 2pl8 is two sets of 45s with the bar.
1/2/3/4 means ohp 1pl8, bench 2pl8, squat 3pl8, didli 4pl8.

because its not that good

ok desi I'll stick the SS then thanks. Will probs run into a reset soon though.

I'm 16% bf but want to get down to around 12ish as I feel making gains now would be pointless as I'd only put on more fat as opposed to lean muscle if I get lean first

Read the GZCL method.

its from reddit
actually one of the few things good to come out of it

does beginning routine matter *much*?

Different user here. It depends and common sense plays a big part into this:

I’d say don’t fuck with anything during Phase I, which is 1-3 weeks.

You can add stuff to get big arms in phase 2. Dips & Curls work great. Example and what I did:

Bench day: Dips & Lying Tricep Extensions
OHP day: Chin ups & Curls

As you get to late Phase 2 or Phase 3 you can add more shit to correct weaknesses:

OHP back arch? Do weighted dips
Feel like your shoulders get rounded forward? Face pulls.
Weak bench? Close grip BP and/or Paused BP.

If you read the book and train for a bit, you’ll develop common sense for these things. It’s very fucking important to read the book though.

WHO TOLD YOU THAT THE DUST HAS SETTLED?

do SS but take squats off the day you deadlift if you dont care about competing, this way you'll not have tree trunks for legs and maybe more energy for other lifts.

once you're past the first month and half or even two, add pull ups on deadlift day, dips on squat day, incline dbb bench on deadlift day, lateral raises on squat day

there you go

It is absolutely SS without any question or argument

Stronglifts is the worst, beginners should do 3x5 and no more

A TL;DR on SS?
I used to know how it works but I forgot.

you begin with adding 2.5kg plate on each side(totalling 5kg) every time you lift
once it becomes too heavy you switch to the 1.25kg ones

once that's too heavy, you try to go up every other day

if you end up stalling for more than a week, you do a small deload
if you happen to have deloaded already 2-3 times, it's time to move to a different routine

>once that's too heavy, you try to go up every other day
So you're meant to be lifting everyday?
Also, it's 5x5 reps isn't it? Or was that a different program
Finally if you happen have a table handy of the different exercises I'd be very grateful

Fuck strong lifts. I did it for 6 months and couldn't get past 155 bench. I made my own routine and I'm hitting 190 bench for the first time in my life and it took 3 months.

>Stalled at 1pl8 bench and 2 pl8 squat/DL
>Everyone says I should hit 1/2/3/4 at least before linear progress ends
>Leave me behind, it's too late

Not that user, but:
You don't lift every day. When progression becomes difficult enough, you try to progress every other workout. 5x5 reps is Stronglifts

>See pic for routine
>AxBxAxxBxAxBxx Repeat

Thank you so much
B-but what's the difference between bench press and press?

I did a beginners routine based on the idea of "natural progression", where I worked up my weight limit then did strength 5x5 until it became easy, then did the same weight hypertrophy until it became easy, then finally I did it for 20 reps 5 set. After that I upped the weight considerably until i could only do the 5x5 strength set and repeated the process.

Delivered some interesting gains when coupled with a strict "lean gains" diet. It's a long con strategy but it was pretty great if you have the patience.

Haven't heard of this before. Is there a name for this technique/are there any resources?

No, just developed it myself after doing a lot of research and lurking in a lot of different places. It just seemed like the best method for experimenting since it mimics a "natural" form of training. When I did it I kept only to the standard big barbell exercises but nowadays if I were to develop a routine for myself it would look different.

Press = Overhead Press

You can learn a GREAT deal about the core lifts themselves by
A) Reading the Starting Strength book
and
B) YouTube "Art of Manliness Rippetoe". AoM is a cringe as fuck website, but Rip did a video series with the site owner where he coaches each lift with good production value. It's an excellent set of videos and something I recommend to anybody who lifts weights.

so where did you actually end up 1RM-wise? Because that is literally the least effective method of progression possible

I saw a modified SS in another routine thread from user that I really liked. If I was starting over it's what I would do.

A
Squat 3X5
Bench 3x5
Row 3x5
OHP 80% 3x10
Chinups 3xf

B
Deadlift 2x6
OHP 3x5
Front squat 3x5
Bench 80% 3x10
Pullups 3xf

Last sets on 3x5 are AMRAP. The sets with is 80% is based on your work weight and not 1rm. I would personally sub out chins for dips and alternate pullups/chins on day B.

do not do this

SS is pretty decent for a beginner but if i could go back I would of gone for this

anything higher quality than that potatojpeg ?

oldschooltrainer.com/reg-parks-beginner-routine/

For strength alone it's shit yes, but I never cared about that as a singular thing. I do a lot of moving around that requires endurance to be the most important factor in my performance so the point was to train a given load to the point I could work with it effectively for a longer period of time.

Can't remember all of them, it was a while ago and I've been doing only mobility and corrective exercises for a while now and don't have the logs with the numbers anymore. I also varied the exercises between different squats, rows and so on.

As I said, if you want high numbers it's shit, but that's not what I was going for. I do remember the numbers were pretty good though when comparing them to the numbers people posted on here.

Basic as hell, even for a beginner. Do more layggs.