/plg/ - powerlifting general

Useful links:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tZIonSOwhM3iM0gTYVXuUAw/htmlview

Comfy listening:
youtu.be/0CGVgAYJyjk

>sloots edition cont.

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/making-your-novice-strength-training-routine-more-effective-two-quick-tips/
youtube.com/watch?v=RVmG_d3HKBA
youtu.be/ZrbOR1nLkYU
youtube.com/watch?v=g52Uh9wmqZg
youtu.be/gtOV7bp-gys
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Jesus christ that thumbnail is misleading

Now that’s more like it.

i only slept 4 hours today

Nice blog

I also slept for hours today
;)

>hahaha that red ass is pooping lawl

go suck a dick faggot

Why are red heads literally the most attractive women?

Maybe to Jewish Santa

FUCK 5 hours of anatomy classes followed by 3 hours of physiology. And it's like this every wednesday.

Nice blog

what are you sudying senpai

Anyone else do GPP days to hit neglected muscles?

University of medicine - nursing.

if youre neglecting things, alter your programming

GPP should be on top and help with work capacity and conditioning

>5h of anatomy

Fuck im dying after 2h class

to jest wlasnie warszawski uniwersytet medyczny dzis mialem zajecia od 8-11 a potem od 13-20:30.

Gpp it's more so something that you do to stay well-rounded before beginning a powerlifting specific training block.

Like doing sports and addressing movement planes that you don't typically hit in training.

Unless you are a professional powerlifter, not that such a thing exists, you are free to do gpp whenever you want to because it probably won't affect your training that much

>nursing
lol u fuken nerd
how little do nurses earn in the us?

I'm not in us tho :)

If you want to invest more time into your body, do yoga. Best thing you can do, honestly

>gym is 80 degrees and humid as fuck

Send help.

shit is hard as fuck

this means its good for you

I always like a hot gym over a cold one makes my joints feel better.
>Tfw only 26

You're planning to do medicine after right? Legit stupid tier job at least that's how it is in UK. Nurses were doing same shifts as us doctors getting paid less and dealing with way more menial shit.

Every time I do it my thoracic spine feels more mobile and I notice that my shoulders are pulled forward and stiff although I do face pulls and band pull aparts every single workout. Yoga is the real shit.
Plus, Adrienne is cute.

Lads how long does it take to adjust to high volume squatting? my knees are achy and feel inflamed as fuck

>high volume squatting
let's talk about this. what's your goal here, maximum hypertrophy? are you gonna peak later for a big total? are you doing this to build a strength base for later blocks of higher intensity?

Power building routine I enjoy high intensity low rep stuff since that's something I need to work on as I'm a volume warrior and I also enjoy the pump in the end.

what is gde

5th anatomy exam this semester is tomorrow. I feel you bro.

My upper back area near the shoulder blades are always sore after deadlift. Is this common? I thought Diddy is mainly a hammy/lower back area

Have you recorded yourself? Sounds like you're rounding your thoracic spine.

It's not uncommon

I am 100% sure I don't round out my back. It's sore when I squeeze my shoulder blades together. Maybe I'm overcompensating?
If you say so senpai

Mid traps are isometrically involved in the deadlift. If it doesnt hurt, don't worry about it.

Thank you. On to 4 plates and beyond

>yesterday had the perfect deadlift day
>also added several reps to my weighted chins
>haven't done curls in months but my arms have grow from chins
>wake up with hamstring, lower back, bicep, lat and trap soreness
>spent the entire day out riding today
>get home and crash on the sofa
>just woke up and I can feel literally every muscle in my body repairing and definitely growing

Feels so damn good

/blog

It’s my 9th week of modified SL5x5 (-Pendlay Rows, + Power Cleans, + some arm accessories) and these were my starting lifts:

Squat: 60kg (5x5)
Bench: 45kg (5x5)
Deadlift: 80kg (1x5)
OHP: 35kg (5x5)
Power Clean: 45kg (5x3)

This is where I’m currently at:
Squat: 120kg (5x5)
Bench: 75kg (5x5)
Deadlift: 135kg (1x5)
OHP: 61.25kg (5x5)
Power Clean: 75kg (5x3)

I currently 2-3 min, but I find that’s no longer enough to recover between sets. That’s not my question though. On SL, after 3 fails comes a deload and after 3 deloads comes a programming change to 3x5.

Can I, instead of jerking around with 5x5 under 3pl8 for weeks, just preemptively change Squats to 3x5 around 130kg and continue adding more weight?

I feel like when I fail Squats soon, it will be on the 4th-5th set (heart failure), whereas OHP and BP will be on the 1st set (muscle failure). As you don’t get anaerobically rekt with the presses, I’d like to keep these 5x5. Is this okay?

Question 3, when 3x5 gets too much volume, I’d like to add either “Front Squar Wednesday” or “Light Squat Wednesday”. Rippetoe did it himself to a client on Starting Strength (pic related), so it makes sense. Can I do this around 3pl8?

And finally, my Power Cleans are shaky. Can I do Pendlay Rows for volume for 2 weeks while I re-learn the lift with something lighter like 60kg?

I want to get big & strong, and I’d appreciate some answers from the trips (or otherwise) who have more programming experience.

>/blog
nah this is the kinda shit we're supposed to be discussing, unlike that fag's physics degree

someone else will add more context, but i will just say
>don't overthink it
if you're tired of 5x5 and think 3x5 will give you more rewarding growth, then do it. just do it. it's all the same in the long run, consistency is all that really matters

>should i front squat when i squat around 3pl8
or try this. warmup with front squats every day just to get a feel for the setup and the form, and then do your top sets as prescribed. when you eventually switch to the 3x5 still completely, then you won't need to fuck around learning front squats, you'll already know whats up

If you know you're going to stall it's okay to change. Do understand though that this is the time when you're still making the easiest gains you will, and 1-2 weeks won't change much of anything.

If you want, you can do one day of 5x5 with the presses, then do 3x5 the next day with weight you'd be advancing with.

That is a-okay to so with squats, but wait until you actually start failing weights at 3x5.

And lastly if power cleans feel shakey you can do high pulls with the same weight or speed deadlifts with ~60% of your deadlift working weight. I'm a fan of speed deadlifts but do what fits your goals/what feels better.

Don't forget to eat more and try harder.

3x5 is never too much volume. Neither is 5x5. Tapering down volume is retarded when you stall. You need MORE volume. SL after 5x5 is basically peaking and gives you the illusion of getting stronger.

Just how useful are squat assistance lifts like anderson squats, rack holds etc if you're not advanced?

I front squat as my main squat and do not want to do highbar or pause as more assistance but I'm wondering if the reason I don't see these often is because they are far inferior to what I mentioned.

>On SL, after 3 fails comes a deload and after 3 deloads comes a programming change to 3x5.

Most retarded 'programming' ever. Don't listen to Mehdi.

strongerbyscience.com/making-your-novice-strength-training-routine-more-effective-two-quick-tips/

>Most retarded 'programming' ever. Don't listen to Mehdi

yeah don't take powerlifting advice from a guy who repeatedly specifies this isnt a powerlifting program

It's retarded for general strength training as well. SL is by far the worst of the standard beginner's programs.

>Get hurt, have to take a week off from the gym
>Come back today
>Miss all my target reps

Friendly reminder.

anderson/bottom up squats are great to build dead strength from the hole, be ready to take an ego hit on the weight

rack holds would only be useful if, like myself, you dont do straight bar squats often and need to reacquaint yourself with stabilising and walking out a loaded bar

one side looks like dweebs and the other looks like athletes

what would happen if I just ran the first two weeks of c6w for squats on repeat?

Can Anderson squats be used for higher rep ranges or will it lose its benefit? Also what kind of % hit should I expect?

>tfw skinnyfatt-rex mode
>getting bigger by the week
>can't decide wheater to cut or start powerlifting
"bulking season" is coming up, can i make it if i do a mini cut before winter bulking starts or do i just wait and cut untill spring?
i don't want these man titties and succulent thigs.

no, do multiple singles(8+) with short rest periods (max 60 seconds)

i have no idea, everyones different, work up and see where you are

Can't remember the specifics of c6w, but I'd imagine you'd get a good amount of hypertrophy

Why not bulk a little slower?

When you feel uncomfortable in your body, change it in whatever way necessary

>virgin powerlifter
>breaks spine as a teenager
Ow that hit hard

He needs an one-fit-all algorithm to program into the app and be easy for normies. He also has everyone start with the bar and add 2.5kg per season, if I actually did SL to the point, I’d kill myself before reaching 1pl8 squat.

Practical Programming for Strength Training makes a pretty in depth case in favour of 5 reps and 3 sets for newfags. How can you possibly add more volume and continue progressing linearly from your current working weight?

It’s not really 2 weeks. If I fail 130kg 3 times, deload to 125kg then fail at 135kg, then deload to 125kg again and fail at 137.5kg before I switch to 3x5, multiple weeks will have passed. Or I can just get my target of 3pl8 for 5 reps and 3 sets sooner. SS starts at 3x5 from birth anyway, I just did the extra volume because bouncing 80kg for 2 extra sets is like lmaoWhoCares. But now it feels like fatigue accumulates by Friday from Monday and Wednesday. Wanted /plg/ blessing before I fuck with the program, and I’ve got it, I think.

I might just do that, never tried front squats before. You’re suggesting I should do front squats and not light back squats?

I appreciate the replies, guys.

on my 550x3 set of squat i got some larry wheels pimple blood pops during the set

If you stall you cannot keep progressing linearly. You need to add volume and restructure it because you can no longer recover from workout to workout from the volume necessary to disrupt your homeostatis.

is that what that shit is, I thought he was bleeding from his pores

like how? eat at a smaller caloric surplus?
so cutting and then powerlifting it is, don't mind going skellymode, it's october after all

I have probably the best pepe ever

PANZER WHERE ARE YOU.

oh my yet again I'm dropping a second Norman khan of the day

What's that like three or four days in a row this happened?

And phew of my the way this khan is dropping into the toilet it might already be more than this morning

And PHEW is it certainly more STINKY!!

Oh my

And yes it's still in solid form

They're kinda sludgy

Anyways yep feel another log slipping out right now, this one may be a contender for Largest of the day

Nice blog

right here child

Might be you idk

It's not

haha thanks for the rare pepe gay boy

Is Rippetoe wrong?

TL;DR
>high intensity with low volume develops and maintains neuromuscular efficiency, while high volume with low intensity does not.

Yeah, exactly. Eat a little less.

Mainly because cutting fucking sucks ass, even short cuts.

Sometimes, Yeah. Figure it out. If you reduce volume to keep progressing, one single is the final and ultimative program. Amirite, Einstein?

That’s extreme. Let’s say I want to do 10 sets of 20. That’s too much volume at too low intensity to get strong. It would be reasonable to reduce the volume. The pic says:
>to the extent possible, intensity should not drop more than absolutely necessary.

1x1 is not the final form, the next page talks about 1x5 followed by 5-10% lighter 2x5 OR 3x3.

Is it peaking or is it just barely enough volume to continue progressing linearly and get a tiny bit stronger?

I don’t know, actually, have no fucking clue.

If you stall and increasing weight becomes possible by reducing volume despite you not being overtrained - you're peaking.

Lol okay peak-let.

Enjoy your non-sustainable crash into a wall while imagining you 're a bird high up in the air. Idiot

>despite you not being overtrained
:thinking:

I think this is the whole debate. A newfag squatting 77.5kg on Monday, 80kg on Wednesday and 82.5kg on Friday for 3x5 is not overtrained.

But a newfag squatting 147.5kg on Monday, 150kg on Wednesday and 152.5kg on Friday will be.

So, if you’re stalling DUE to overtraining, is it reasonable to reduce volume to gain more intensity?

He will accumulate too much fatigue and stall. Which is not the same as being overtrained. He should deload and thus allow for full recovery. If he still stalls, either the load by now is too heavy to recover from between two workouts or because the volume is no longer enough to disrupt homeostatis.
Volume
Drives
Progress.

Write it down.

It's called intensification. Followed by realization, then deload and back to volume accumulation.

It's called peaking. Which is cool short term but not sustainable

oh shit dude what a flashback, this song was a banger too youtube.com/watch?v=RVmG_d3HKBA

How many reps & sets are you doing on your big 3 when you want to drive progress?

Earlier you said 5x5 is too little volume; do you also disagree that 5 reps is the gold standard for strength?

Take it eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasy for there is nothing we can do

Yeah. You need to realize that Rippetoe is not the godfather of programming for strength and that novice level is only a small part of your lifting career. I periodize my training

This is good also
youtu.be/ZrbOR1nLkYU

I'm nothing like, I'd like to be
I'm much, I know its true
I lack the style and the pedigree
And my chances are so few

Back day is hell. why do chads enjoy back day? what is there to enjoy? it physically sucks

>You’re suggesting I should do front squats and not light back squats?
yes

youtube.com/watch?v=g52Uh9wmqZg

My favourite
youtu.be/gtOV7bp-gys

I also had back day today and I just really enjoy the feeling of not holding back when pulling and getting that decline stretch

Good luck on your infinite volume accumulation phase and your shitty one rep maxes.

Fair enough.

Thanks for the discussion. Any book recommendations?

Noted.

Nice blogs

Cheers!

for close grip bench, should I bring the bar to the same spot I normally touch on my normal grip bench work and flare my elbows more or touch lower and keep my elbows more tucked in?

the latter, but not by much. as long as your wrists are in line with your elbows and not bending back too much, you're good. if you end up tucking all the way down to your belly, you're overcompensating. i try to touch right above my diaphragm more or less for close grip, and halfway up to my nipples for a powerlifting bench

>workout going great
>get to last exercise, BTN pulldowns
>warmups are fine
>right lat loses its shit on working weight and I have to stop

Bruh.

I cant stop thinking about the jones barbeque and foot massage guy it's been stuck in my head for like a month what do i do

Stop blogging