Which one is better for muscle recovery; cold or hot showers?

Which one is better for muscle recovery; cold or hot showers?

Hot showers.

cold

Hot, but cold is better for testosterone so
Workout days- Hot
Rest days- Cold

definitely hot showers. The point of recovery is to increase blood flow and to get every single part of your body receiving blood. Cold showers will restrict blood flow and deliver the blood to important visceral organs to try to keep core body temp high.

This. I just wash myself in hot water first and then rinse off in cold water.

how does temperature trigger endocrine system to release testosterone? Also, what role does testosterone play in recovery? I thought it was only involved in secondary sexual characteristics for males

Hot showers are better for muscle growth whereas cold showers are better for recovery.
It all depends on inflammation. The more inflamed the muscle is after a workout the more inscisions were made during the workout because of Calcium filling in the inscisions. Hot showers don't really affect the inflammation whereas cold showers will reduce it thereby increasing recovery but decreasing muscle synthesis.
Another factor people talk about is cold showers increasing one's testosterone. Studies have shown that a cold shower for a short period of time has been shown to increase testosterone levels but not by much. Other studies involving cold water emersion (cold bath) show that for longer periods of time, cold water can actually decrease testosterone. In short, testosterone effects caused by showering don't really matter that much.

There is no fucking difference. I’ve yet to see a study that suggests any substantial change between hot and cold showers. As far as long term exposures, such as ice baths and saunas, those have actual results.

Longer exposures*

>calcium filling in the incisions
uhhhh, i thought swelling was due to histamine release from damage cells and then vasodilation occuring which releases plasma into area of damage causing the swelling.

It is. This is why you don’t listen to Veeky Forums about physiological aspects of lifting

Test is produced in your balls, which need to be regulated at a lower temperature from the rest of your body. Being in colder conditions allows your balls to produce more test. Testosterone is a large component in muscle building for men. That's why people will literally inject themselves with test so they can build more muscle.

isn't that why your balls sag or shrivel in response to body temp? Isn't your body doing that work for you already?

First hot and finish with cold water

by this logic wouldnt going in the sauna after every workout be beneficial too?

Cold is better for recovery. Why do you think athletes have ice baths. Sometimes (read: all the time) Google is better than asking random questions on Veeky Forums.

maybe after your body temp is lowered. Your body temp along with blood flow would be higher than normal after a workout.

Well........ athletes usually do what they are told because its "good" for them without ever actually getting into the real science of it.

I dont really understand how colder temperature is better. It shunts blood away from appendages and keeps it in core of body. The body attempts to raise body temperature again by increasing muscle contractions. Colder temperatures also makes muscle fatigue onset a lot faster.

cold showers/water reduces the amount of swelling in your muscles post-workout, meaning they will feel far less sore the day after. the swelling isn't necessary for repair of your muscles, its just your body making sure you don't go and do intense again exercise too soon i.e within a few hours.

Source: years of middle distance track running, the best way to combat soreness was a cold shower immediately after post-training stretches

swelling is a result of damaged cells. cold temperatures do reduce swelling though