/Run/

Running General
Saturday Comfy Edition
QTDDTOT, etc

Didn't see a thread, so I'm making one. I just started running this week. Did 2.5 miles sunday, 2.5 tuesday, 3.1 thursday, 2.5 yesterday, going to go again soon.

My 5k time was 37 min which sucks. Everyone is telling me that in order to increase speed I must first increase mileage, so I guess I'm going for 10 miles today or some shit. Is that information correct? They also say to just run at a slow pace where you can actually hold a conversation, because running slightly faster isn't going to make a physiological-changing difference, just tire you out quicker. Is that also true?

Other urls found in this thread:

ditillo2.blogspot.com/2008/09/running-john-mccallum.html
ditillo2.blogspot.com/2017/08/the-case-for-running-john-mccallum-1967.html
files.meetup.com/445445/footDrills.pdf
runningwritings.com/2011/09/injury-series-flat-eccentric-heel-drops.html
runningwritings.com/2013/11/achilles-tendonitis-in-runners.html
sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/tibialis-tendinitis.html
youtube.com/watch?v=SgdFrUjKppQ
halhigdon.com/training/
c25k.com/
ultramarathonrunning.com/training/
strava.com/features
strava.com/clubs/fitizens
helpfulrunner.com/tools/running-training-pace-calculator.php
runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/
archive.is/VGoxG
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=MZWXPrfjkWg
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE
youtube.com/watch?v=s2AWw9oJi_A
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196
mensrunninguk.co.uk/top-feature/push-through-the-pain/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That heel strike image is making me cringe.

Did my first sub 55min 10km today in 53:06. Feels great.

How to balance lifting legs and running?

Sick, bro.

While increasing your volume for yoyr long run, you also need to do a speed drill at least once per week. Most of your slow runs should be at a recovery pace. The problem with you OP is that you did not post the copypasta that has a link to a pace calculator that can give you a rough estimate of what you need to run.

How come whenever I see a video about running for, their version of "good" running form looks COMPLETELY exaggerated, like, no one fucking runs like that, it looks like a total waste of energy. I don't think people lift their legs that high. Maybe it depends on the pace?

Fuck, I don't know that one. This is my first attempt at a Running General. I just wanted to talk about running with my Veeky Forumsbros

Any tips on how to examine gait or how to run correctly? I am trying to run more but after one run my muscles that are adjacent to my shin (not my half but right next to the bone) are in pain for 3-4 days. I had an X-Ray done because I thought I had a stress fracture or something but nothing. I am assuming I am just running wrong. It's not DOMS and it actually is a sharp pain.

Just muscle strain, I think. If you're newer to running, then your muscles will get soreness as you train them.

Could also be caused by your shoe not meeting your needs, right?

Oh wait, it's a sharp pain? Muscle torn then maybe? Give it rest...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

still figuring this out myself, but
ditillo2.blogspot.com/2008/09/running-john-mccallum.html
ditillo2.blogspot.com/2017/08/the-case-for-running-john-mccallum-1967.html
may be of interest

thx bb

start slow and low volume, short quick strides, don't overstride (foot shouldn't be landing way out in front of you)

you might try checking your cadence with a stopwatch and seeing how many steps per minute you take at your normal running pace. Some people, notably Jack Daniels, will suggest that you aim for a cadence of 180 spm or higher; other people think that's all bullshit. ymmv but it may be worth trying to take quicker, shorter strides.

are there any good HIIT progression programs? or any distance running programs that aren't boring?

I love doing HIIT because it's fast and exciting, but i get bored after like 1 minute of LISS work

please help, i wanna run longer and faster

I don't think
>HIIT
is very well defined, and to the extent that it means anything other than "interval training" generally I don't think running is a very good modality. (Though running while pushing a sled can work very well.). Daniels' Running Formula is a widely used progression that lots of people like, but if u wanna git gud there's no way around doing your steady state.
>inb4 I'd just like to interject for a moment

Where is the usual copypasta ?

sounds like shin splints honestly

i would check and see if anywhere around you can do a gait analysis. I know some sporting goods stores like Dick's will give you a gait analysis and also recommend a good pair of shoes to help fix any issues you've got

>run xc in high school
>stop running for several years
>interesting new job opportunity
>running is a requirement tho
>start running again (very gradually, walk/run progression, nice new asics nimbus shoes, cadence around 190)
>brb achilles
>brb posterior tibial tendon
>brb hallux rigidus
>brb brb
fugg what do /run/

(I'm kinda heavy at 5'11" 200 or so. 33" waist, but feet and ankles don't care. Maybe that's it. Losing a whole bunch of weight wouldn't be good for job performance, but 10-15 lb should be doable without too much strength loss.).

thats what i was worried about. I guess the best way to get faster for HIIT stuff would probably just be weightlifting, and then LISS stuff for distance cardio. oh well, guess i just have to suck it up. Maybe i'll get in to podcasts or something

What I'm starting to realize is that all athletes have a great cardio base, and you can't get that great cardio base without putting in the steady state mileage.

Apparently, novice runners will get ~70% of their energy from glycogen (carbs stored in the body) and 30% from fats. Athletes will get ~60% of their energy from FATS and ~40% from glycogen.

Fats are a better source of energy, because fats are a steady supply of energy from a nearly infinite source. (Glycogen you can delete in 6 hours of high intensity if you really try, however, the skinniest, most shredded low %bf marathon runner you can imagine still has enough fat stored for 5 ironman's)

Athletes who burn more fat than carbs during their exercise have a better performance. How do you train your body to be more efficient with using fat for energy? Steady state cardio at like 65% max heart-rate. That is the fat burning zone, that's what's going to train your body to learn to use fat energy efficiently.

This also leads to the observation: Why are most athletes shredded as fuck?

Because they're burning a much higher percentage of body fat when they exercise than the average Joe. When they burn 400 calories, 60% fats. When average Joe burns 400 calories, it's 30% fats.

>QTDDTOT
How the fuck do I get over my insecurity as a skelly in order to go to a gym and start lifting?

and so I'm not just whining ITT, let me add that the Ebbets foot drills, eccentric heel drops on flat ground, and eccentric exercises for the posterior tibial tendons have all helped noticeably (links below). I suspect that eccentric heel drops from a step would also help, but they seem to make the metatarsalgia/hallux limitus flare up.
>ebbets foot drills
files.meetup.com/445445/footDrills.pdf
>flat heel drops
runningwritings.com/2011/09/injury-series-flat-eccentric-heel-drops.html
>full rom heel drops
runningwritings.com/2013/11/achilles-tendonitis-in-runners.html
>posterior tib
sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/tibialis-tendinitis.html

>all athletes
sprinters? throwers? olympic lifters?
I mean, have fun, do what you want, train for your goals, but I think larger

Go on off hours, like early in the morning or late at night. The gym will be way less crowded, and the people there are more likely to be serious gym goers focused on their own workout.

I meant QTDDTOT for running questions... But you should probably not give a fuck what anyone else thinks in all aspects of your life. No one in the gym is going to fault anyone who is in the gym trying to better themselves. No one cares about you, stop thinking anyone cares about you. People in the gym care about themselves, and are focused on better themselves, and are focused on what they're doing. No one goes to the gym specifically to watch newbs. Who is going to waste their time doing that? Realize that you don't matter, and no one cares about you or what you do.

I have to run 52 miles next summer. What do?

My main concern is avoiding injury. If I can do that then I'm sure I can just slog it out. Problem is I haven't run more than 10km in years because of injuries to shins, calves and achilles. In terms of fitness I'm in good shape, could easily do 17 minutes for 5km.

Thanks, anons, that helps a lot, sorry for derailing the thread, though

I don't know if there is science to back it up but a lot of athletes train in the mornings in a fasted state (ie before breakfast) forcing their body to burn fat for fuel. They do this once or twice a week and it trains their body to get used to burning fat. Well that's the idea. I haven't bothered looking into any studies on it.

>I mean, have fun, do what you want, train for your goals, but I think larger
*I mean, have fun, do what you want, train for your goals, but I think trying to justify any of those things to people who don't basically already agree with you is a fool's errand and trying to justify them to people who DO basically already agree with you is a circle jerk.

That's correct. I don't have any links off hand, but I've read the research. Anyone can google it if they want.

This is Veeky Forums. We circle jerk all day.

>Everyone is telling me that in order to increase speed I must first increase mileage
I wouldn't know, but I heard that you should include HIIT. eg. jog for 5-15 minutes then do HIIT

youtube.com/watch?v=SgdFrUjKppQ

>broud to be an amerigan :DDDD

seriously though I used to watch this to get fired up before xc meets and it's still great

I believe I have good running endurance ( can run 25 km+ and still do weights in the evening) however im heavy. Im 1.80 cm and 90 kg . I mostly do swimming,running and kickboxing with weights once a week(in winter I don't swim as much and do weights 3 times a week). My pace is about 4.40 mins per km.

Is the only way to get this down by losing weight and focusing on running running? Is my pace good for my weight? Im about at 13% bodyfat and have a 45 resting heart rate.

>Everyone is telling me
everyone being who exactly?

I mean, with
>5k time was 37 min
I don't think it much matters what you do as long as you do something and don't get hurt, you'll get faster. But there certainly comes a point where getting more mileage at a conversational pace is useful.

>My main concern is avoiding injury
welcome to the club.
>ramp up very slowly
>try running mostly on soft surfaces (but ymmv)
>180+ spm (ditto)
>make sure your shoes aren't worn out
>if it's an ultramarathon people will walk lots of it so don't be afraid to walk
>maybe lose weight if ur fat

My milage sucks this week. Jetlagged and cold. Though my 5k time wasn't too bad at 25mn.

Nice to see /run/ general again. Bump for posterity.

yo fags,

Any way to prevent midback and rhomboid spasms during runs? They cause my back and ribs to lock up and I can't fucking breathe. Chiro says there's nothing wrong with my bone structure aside from tight muscles

I used to get these all the time when hiking. Went away when I started doing lots and lots of chins.

If you can already do lots and lots of chins, of course, this may not apply.

Because OP forgot it:

>Training Plans
halhigdon.com/training/
c25k.com/
ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

>Strava
strava.com/features

>Sharing on Strava with the /fitizens/
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

>Pace Calculator
helpfulrunner.com/tools/running-training-pace-calculator.php

>Stretches
runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners

>running injuries and how to treat them
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/

>How to Buy the Right Running Shoes
archive.is/VGoxG

>buy good shoes
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=MZWXPrfjkWg

>running form
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE

>tense arms and neck
youtube.com/watch?v=s2AWw9oJi_A

>Sprint Training Advice
>A number of current and former professionals and coaches have posted in this thread. Read it thoroughly.
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

>pain
mensrunninguk.co.uk/top-feature/push-through-the-pain/

... and now three hours later the outside of my knee is killing me! ITBS? I hope not!

I HATE running

>200-230 pounds at 5ft 8
ULTRAmanlet

What is the best GPS running watch to track your runs and monitor your heart rate lads?

I got one when I first started out and now it's fucked and hate going for a run without it.

>tfw my Hoka Clifton 4's arrived in the mail

>tfw still injured

thank you for actually posting valuable information

why don't u just get the same one again?

I use a Forerunner 920xt since it also allows me to better use data for multiple sports in Golden Cheetah. However, I hear the Fenix 3 is way better.

Are Brooks good shoes or expensive memes?
I'm looking for a more supportive, better-traction shoe to go along with my saucony kinvara for the cold and wet (though rarely freezing) season.

Get whatever feels comfortable you. Brooks never felt comfortable to me so I never buy any. The cheaper Saucony Cohesion and Asics Venture are the ones that work for me. The expensive shoes tend to kill my legs.

I feel like that pace calculator puts easy run pace faster than it should be. The middle of the range for long run seems pretty reasonable, but I don't see why your easy runs should be significantly faster.

I find the paces way too slow. When I was in xc, my coach had everyone at must faster intervals and tempos.

even for the easy runs? it put my easy run pace at 6:02

>tfw sustainable pace for distance is too slow
>tfw pace fast enough to be fun is not sustainable

kill me

>how does I proper tempos and intervals?

Should I really put the tip of the feet first,and not the ankle,as I run?

this year I only ran 4 times.
both were 5k,then 7k and 10k. 10k took me like 56 minutes.

I guess this is really bad but at the same time really good becasue i trained so little?

Now I want to run a 22K but he memes make me afraid of losing all muscle mass.

as long as you aren't excessive about heel striking, it isn't a bad thing. I don't know any distance runners that toe strike on long runs. somewhere between midfoot and heel is pretty typical. As for muscle mass, as long as you are eating enough calories and aren't cutting back on lifting, you should be fine.

Mph or kmh? When I got back into running 3 years ago (after 12 years of not any sort of exercise), I used the same calculations as this calculator uses. Attached is a pic of tge paces I used for my first marathon. When I was in XC, the tempo pace would have been 7:30, the 800 intervals at 3:00.

Easy runs are supposed to be easy. That's why they are called "easy". They are more focused on aerobic development and facilitating recovery. The long slow runs do this too. There's a difference between each workout. Tempos help lactate threshold, vs intervals with VO2max, vs hills with strength.

I was saying the pace was too fast. I don't see why easy run pace is faster than long run pace

the forward posture is good, I didn't know about it.

also general question;can a sprinter run a marathon by only sprints?Like, he sprints,then rests. Let's assume hes been given meth.
is such a thing humanly possible?

I BE SKYWALKIN ON THESE HATERS

If the rests are long enough then sure

is there anything like an asics ds trainer/racer (fairly light,