Leg Extensions

thoughts on these Veeky Forums?
Ive been told they are bad on the knees, go light for quads and heavy for your hamstrings
Thinking about getting one for my home gym.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4AObAU-EcYE
youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc
youtube.com/watch?v=PkQb2LJtLgo
youtube.com/watch?v=GaSHOocFTVg
youtu.be/O6Y3WDY1tUo?t=478
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

don't do them, many other options that are better without stress on joints

they're perfectly fine for your knees, anyone claiming they're bad because of shear loading on the knee doesn't know what they're talking about, since the internal loading on your knee from your quads contracting is far higher than any external load from a leg extension machine at your ankles

people have problems because the leg extension has no learning curve, so they can hop right on and load up way more weight than they should without ever allowing their tendons to acclimate and slam out shitty reps and hyperextend their knees at the top

if they're good enough for Ed Coan, they're good enough for you

Better on your knees than squats.

These things are great for pylo leg extensions. Great for anyone that needs to kick something with a great deal of force.
Knee pain is probaly caused by overloading, improper calibrations of the machine or shit knees to begin with. Be sure to stretch after though.

>using machines
why don't you go vegan as well

Who told you that?

just do squats pussy

I do, I would mainly will use it for hamstrings

>hamstrings
deadlifts?

form problems, not getting what I want

I want you to first explain to me how pure knee extension recruits your hamstrings in any meaningful way.

i like them because i get to sit down and kickback,
i dislike them because they cause discomfort around the bottom portion of my quad, to the middle side of my knee

youtube.com/watch?v=4AObAU-EcYE
youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc
It's really not difficult. Video yourself

Is he confusing them with the ones you pull in

the extension bench you can do both, either sitting for your quads or laying down on your stomach for your hamstrings doing a leg curl

how does that negate the sheer force?

problem may be with your hips. I can't keep neutral spine in conventional deadlift and get my hands much lower than rackpull height. try this to see if your femurs bang into your hips and prevent you getting low enough:
youtube.com/watch?v=PkQb2LJtLgo

youtube.com/watch?v=GaSHOocFTVg

it doesn't, but your knee is already experiencing substantially higher forces anyway so it's irrelevant

at least three people in /plg/ got injuries from this 5 step bullshit

just watch videos of people with similar anthropometry to you deadlifting, keep in mind the basic cue of not rounding your lumbar spine, and figure it out for your own body

Exercise science bro here. Don't do this machine

>but the x forces and the y forces and blah blah IT DOESN'T ADD UP YOU CAN'T HURT YOURSELF

don't listen to these people. having a minor meniscus tear or something + using leg extensions = having a big tear. This is the one machine that i tell people to categorically avoid. It's the one EXERCISE I tell people to categorically avoid in general

youtu.be/O6Y3WDY1tUo?t=478

the timestamp didn't work. it starts at 7:58. right off the bat he lists numerous physiological negatives to the exercise

there's no reason to do exercises with unnecessary tendon or joint exercise when there's an exercise to target virtually any muscle specifically without those negatives

>x outliers got injured from improperly implementing 5 steps
Of course the initial stance depends on your body type. Tweak your hip height to whatever prevents lumbar flexion

they are a great DYEL magnet, this and the pussy stretch machine

Actual doctor here. From safest to most injury prone (especially if you're not a manlet)

Leg press > Leg extension > squats

pussy stretch machine is god like for hip flexor gains, you'll know when you're not squatting bitch weight

yeah but your knee is 'designed' to withstand compression force and not so much shear.
Also what's the point of a quad isolation

I did these before i realized training legs is gay as fuck, but they had my quads looking fucking joiucy

>at least three people in /plg/ got injuries from this 5 step bullshit
you are talking out your fucking ass