Former benchlet reporting in with tips to fix issues that caused my bench to fall behind...

Former benchlet reporting in with tips to fix issues that caused my bench to fall behind. If your bench is lagging behind other lifts, including ohp, try looking into some of these cues, don't suffer like i did

The king of cues and the biggest pitfall issue is scalpulae retraction. you're leaving easy pounds on the table if your scalpulae aren't retracted when you bench. I envy you if this is your problem because it's easy as fuck to fix and you probably aren't particularly lagging in any one muscle group

If your issue is that your front delts and pecs are lagging, or you can't activate them, then deload and practice:

A. Bar path: you're not lowering and pressing the bar in a straight line. I'll spare you my own bar path explanation because alan thrall demonstrates it wondefully here youtube.com/watch?v=wKhI-O4HI8M

The horizontal movement at the beginning of the press is what really recruits your pecs and your delts, so if you aren't used to doing this you're probably going to need to deload with proper bar path to work out the imbalance

B. Grip and point of contact: This is also covered in the video, but i don't think he simplified it well enough. All you need to remember is that, at the bottom of the motion, your forearms should be parallel to each other and perpindicular to the bar. The two variables that you manipulate to reach that point are grip width and point of bar contact on your body. Find a width that feels strong for you and adjust how high or low you make contact so that your forearms fit those criteria

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JJ5iCcKzg2Q
youtube.com/watch?v=RAfmcbyVgtk
youtube.com/watch?v=enRx1X7dQRI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Good thread thanks OP
Do any of these tips apply to db benching? I have a shoulder issue which basically only feels right when I db bench

yea for sure. The only difference is that you have to manually enforce the width between your dumbbells since they're independent of one another

tbqh i like DB flat bench a lot more at this stage because going for BB PRs without a spotter is terrifying

so how do you fix the scapula problem? you completely glossed over that and its my weak point for sure

take your shoulder blades and imagine yourself pinching them together to hold a marble between them with your back

do that by rolling your shoulders back together and then down youtube.com/watch?v=JJ5iCcKzg2Q

A thread about actually helping eachother lift wtf?

not enough naked men

Thank you for the good thread OP. Wondering how Kazmaier in your example can have such a pure vertical motion in the pic you got, shouldn't the bar be right above the eyes at that point? What muscles are activated when the bar is so far up the torso at that point?

We can have a thread with both.

yea i'm not entirely sure. perhaps he uses that extra backwards momentum to help with the press so he ends up a bit higher than rack position

I dont come here for the knowledge

>it's like squattig a heavier weight makes you lean forward a little bit

wow

Good thread. Thanks OP, I'll use these tips on my next workout. I've been retracting, but I've always felt like my bar path is shit but never focused on it.

>replying without even reading the OP

yea it's surprisingly important. I didn't realize how vital it was until i made the switch and realized my pecs were weak af

>The king of cues and the biggest pitfall issue is scalpulae retraction. you're leaving easy pounds on the table if your scalpulae aren't retracted when you bench.
this is hard for me, like I know I'm supposed to do it but I can't seem to. it's hard for me to reach enough to unrack the bar without letting my shoulderblades come apart, and even if I manage to do it, I'm always flat on my back (aside from arch, which I do maintain) after just a couple reps

Lighter weight until you get it

this is actually excellent bait, I'm shocked there are only three responses

>All you need to remember is that, at the bottom of the motion, your forearms should be parallel to each other and perpindicular to the bar.

If I did that then my hands would be at the ends of the fucking bar. So no.

Scapular retraction feels like it is locking my shoulders in a bad position, and ends up actually hurting them

>tfw smacked myself in the face with the bar while benching
Wake me up

How much should your elbows flare on the way back up? In that pic and the video it seems they flare to like 170 degrees.

did Kazmaier die 3/4 the way back up?

Wait on which side is lifter's head here?

Head on the right side. That Thrall video shows why you should be pushing it up closer to your head than when it went down.

How do you properly fucking retract the scapula?? IM fucking confused, up, back,down or straight back.. please help dear anons..

so you're telling me I should be pushing the bar down towards my feet at the start of the ascent?

imagine you are putting your scapula into two pockets on your middle back. so in and down.

do this with your shoulders

up, back, then down

which retard decided right to left was correct formatting. bloody Muslims

Probably because the descent is on the left for the correct ways and you do that first, so you read descent then ascent.

Why can't we just do it the perfect way?

because that's bad bar path, user

Nah when you start the press it should be moving diagonally. Vertically away from your torso, and horizontally back towards your shoulders

At which path-hand position do you really FEEL your pec muscles are becoming activated like almonds? I had this bizarre experience first time after 5 months of lifting (and it was yesterday) when I arched my back more than ever, so I can probably fit not a hand but two of them between the bench and my back.
I really need someone to film me while benching because unlike the squat rack I don't have a place to fit a phone to film it.

the movement back towards your shoulders when you first start the press engages your pecs and delts, the vertical aspect of it mostly engages triceps

that's why a lot of people find they have better results with incline pressing, it forces you to press with your pecs and delts because of the angle

I only realized this a while ago, I felt so fucking dumb. Bench press changed from an exercise I hated to something I kind of like

I've been doing DB bench pressing with my arms close to my chest. It's good to overload your chest, but I found that my triceps are lagging which affects lockout on the bb bench press. I also find it easier to know if my bar path is good using DBs than with a barbell.

try setting up a waterbottle and propping your phone against it, works well especially if the gym is empty and you have a spare bench next to you. or just set it up against your gym bag or on a stool close by.

youtube.com/watch?v=RAfmcbyVgtk

This video, despite it being "westside methods" really helped me stop actively trying to arch.

youtube.com/watch?v=enRx1X7dQRI

JTS kind of covers the same thing here.

The arch is going to be more of a by-product from your setup. This was something I never realized and just always imitated. The first video I posted covers an easy way to get a great setup.

You'll know when your setup is done right because when you take the bar on the descent you can feel the eccentric pretty well.... and then it will FLY up on the ascent seemingly out of nowhere. When you get a great setup, even with my poverty ass bench, it can make a weight that felt heavy suddenly feel 20lbs lighter srs.