How does Veeky Forums hit abs?

After each workout, I hold plank for a couple minutes and then immediately do a set of captain's chairs.

I do this 3 times.

Other urls found in this thread:

exrx.net/Lists/ExList/WaistWt.html#Rectus
youtube.com/watch?v=9vorbxST8SQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hey, that's pretty much what I do. At the end of every work out I will do three planks and three sets of leg raises as a superset.

Wait, how do you do this workout?

The guy is just resting his body on his eIbows/forearms. l feeI Iike l couId hoId myseIf up Iike that for hours.

WiII this reaIIy make my abs stronger or is this some "activate my aImonds GROW GROW GROW" shit?

I do a higher volume of squats than before, I do 3 sets of 20 reps fifer scissors after my workout a couple times a week

Direct ab work doesnt build abs, it gives you a stronger core not bigger abs, high volume leg and back work is where its at

how long do you plank?

Leg raises, windshield wipers, decline situps, good mornings.

Try it right now.

Try holding it for 2 minutes right now and find out.

You're probably at home now, come on, get off your chair and give it a try.

When cutting I do a variation of windshield wipers & legraises

I can only last like 90 sec, ignored abs for a while because of the squat and diddly is all you need for core meme. Just do 3 planks until fail.

Try side twists with a medicine ball, scissors are also good. I hate planks with passions but side planks are good. Slow and controlled leg raises as well, all about the negative

What's a better way to progress with planks, adding time or adding weight? Im doing 3 sets of 1.5min right now, and wondering if there is a point in going past 2min.

Hanging crunches
It’s literally the best work out I’ve done for abs

Try moving your elbows out front progressively it will make that shit so much harder srs

I just started the gym recently and struggle to do three thirty second planks with rests in between. I literally collapsed at 27 seconds on the third plank.

Shit is very hard desu

>Put on some music
>Gave it a try
>First 10 seconds not that bad
>30 seconds, starts burning up
>2 minutes in l'm picking up heat
>4 minutes l'm sweating

5 minutes, 12 seconds and l'm fucking drenched. l have a 5-workout abs regimen every other day and nothing hits Iike this.

When did this become a thing? My abs regimen is about 25 minutes to hit different spots. Can l ditch it and just do this? What shouId l do aIong with pIanking to work out the fuII extension of the abdominaI area?

>l couId have been doing this in my room the past 4 years of working out

This shit is wizardry, l fucking swear.

>about 25 minutes to hit different spots

Bicycles
Mountain Climbers
Heel Touches
Reach Throughs
Ab Wheel
Plank :75
Side Planks :45 each

Repeat x2 or 3 depending on how I Feel/what else Im doing that day.

The pic is a crude representation of how a manlet lays an egg

Deadlift and squat xevery day

5 min is impressive as fuck. try 1 arm or added weight. You still need to hit obliques and lower/upper abs, but planks should be the main dish.

If you want abs, stop being a retarded pussy and go squat 180 kg.

Jesus christ you guys are retarded.

>retarded pussy
What are you twelve? Go play your Xbox

everyone should try ab pushouts if you haven't
get a kettlebell/dumbbell/medicine ball with a plate resting on top and rest it on your belly while lying on a bench or the floor. push the weight out like you're bracing your core and hold it for 3-5 secs. i usually do a few sets of 50-100 reps each time i do them

YEAH ILL GO PLAY MY XBOX WITH MY KILLER ABS YOU FUCKING 100 KG SQUAT PUSSY

the only thing i do is hanging leg raises and ab- wheel rollouts, i also do front squats once a week it works well imo.

>Bicycles
>Mountain Climbers
>Heel Touches
>Reach Throughs

l've been doing this, aIong with iso Ieg raises (hands stabiIizing upper body by hoIding myseIf down with two 100-Ib dumbbeIIs)

ShouId l just up my game and throw pIanking in at the end just to see how Iong l can go for and hit burn out?

Thanks man! lt's definiteIy not as easy as l thought though IoI

>try 1 arm or added weight. You still need to hit obliques and lower/upper abs, but planks should be the main dish.

Ok, l wiII probabIy add it towards the end (simiIar regimen above).

ls there anything to be aware of, in regards to tendon damage or overworking anything by doing 1-arm?

l'm trying to see where it is best to focus the weight whiIe baIancing myseIf with my arms. My abs seem to do aIright in the beginning, but l don't want my arms moving around as much, or to put pressure on one area too Iong (l feIt it a bit near my eIbows, don't want any joint issues due to this).

My gym has a semi-padded area that might be perfect for this though.

Superset four sets of slow dragon flags, hanging leg raises in a V shape, weighted crunches, Russian twists

just try to have at least one movement for each function your core does
a crunch/leg raise for flexion
back raise/nordic curls for extension
ab wheel/planks/pushouts for bracing
any obilque exercise really for lateral flexion/extension
something like russian twists for rotation
don't need to hit all of these each time you work your abs, but hitting each movement once a week is good

How could you not know this?
Are you even a human being?
What have you been doing all of your life that you would have to ask this question?????

I do decline sit ups, side crunches, and paloff holds every day.

I alternate between Crunches and Planks depending on how fucked I'm feeling. If I'm exhausted I do crunches because I'm bulking right now and I'm doing more for my core than most people do just with shitty high volume crunches.

When I get closer to my cut I'll switch fully back over to planks so I can actually see the 6-pack in the Spring.

i think that if you do squats, deads, OHP, bench and other compounds, doing isolation work for abs is not strictly necessary. also, abs are mainly made in the kitchen anyway.

>"activate my aImonds GROW GROW GROW"

working abs isn't about having them visible
the mindset of just doing heavy compounds for core strength is some really dumb shit that gets taught to newbies cause people like believing they have true knowledge that is contrary to popular belief
if you don't figure it out before, once you get to advanced level weights you'll realize just how important your core is and how important training it independently is

no it's not impressive at all, i can plank for 5 minutes with good form but i cant do a single haning leg raise, dyel faggot

>no it's not impressive at all
>dyel faggot

Excuse me sir, do you know how MAD you were going?

i think the only way this is physiologically possible is if you don't have legs and your planks involve you resting on your stump

What abb exercises do you recommend?

You're not supposed to be on your knees

1 ab on work and do every non day

jump rope

I've been planking for almost a year and I don't think my elbows ever hurt for more than a second after the plank. Your arms and legs catch up pretty quick, and you start feeling it mainly on your core. I never plank on concrete floor though, only on the pads at the gym, so definitely work with these. Good luck man.

I might be spitting complete bro science here, but I was always told that planks are actually pretty bad for a 6 pack since they tend to work the deeper parts of your abdominal - parts which are crucial for balance and endurance, but don't do much to "pop" the visible abs.

I really wish that meme died. Yeah, you need to be on a low body fat percent to have visible abs, but if you want to see them on 13% instead of 6%, you better work your core. And compounds are not enough. Why say that to yourself just to get away with a couple more minutes? If you squat 3x5, and on the last set you feel like you could do 20 more reps, you would add more weight in order to train your lower body until failure. What makes you think your core needs to be treated differently than any other muscle group?

This.

Probably about your leg mobility more then your core strength. And I meant for his first attempt ever in his life, chill man.

alright i looked it up and it seems you are indeed right.
gonna pick up some stuff from exrx.net/Lists/ExList/WaistWt.html#Rectus for my pull day i guess.

is me
i typically just hit one or two movements at the end of each workout and superset it with something minor like neck work, forearms, or calves
on top of that doing loaded carries at least once a week (on off days is fine) is good for increasing conditioning for continuous breathing and bracing (think high rep squats/DLs)
just find what works for you though, my preferred movements for each type of ab movement are leg raises, back raises, ab pushouts and ab wheel are tied, dumbbell side bends, and standing barbell russian twists but you might hate some or all of the above

Aight, thank you.

>ab wheel

But my back hurts every time.

How can l do this so it focuses on my abs?

stir the pot

don't flex your spine so much. do them on your knees

Stop letting your back sink, contract your core. If that still doesn't work, strengthen your back.

I'm currently doing 4 sets of 15 hanging knee raises on ab day. Warm up includes L-sits and planks.

>american
>human
youtube.com/watch?v=9vorbxST8SQ

Russian Twists and Planks

Depends on your goals you researchlets. Ever thought that muscles will perform differently if you train them differently. What do you want your abs to do?

>mfw new on Veeky Forums
>never been to gym in my life literally
>only do ab "exercises"
>upped my plank time from 30 seconds to 4 minutes in 1 month of training

I am skelly mode but at least I can plank

Running mans, landmine twists, kickout crunches.

>muh abs isolation

any major compound movement is gonna require the use of your abs if you aren't a clueless little bitch who moves bitch weight. get a clue, wimps.

>ab day

t. total pussy on a bitchsplit

lmfao

Wow his muscular endurance is trained far enough to hold a very long plank, but his maximum strength is not yet big enough to lift his legs.
working muscles does not automatically lets you gain sudden explosiveness, strength, endurance and hypertrophy all by doing one single exercise executed the same every time.

My starting position is on my knees, keeping my back fuIIy aIigned so l give no fIex. l stiII feeI it much more in my back than my abs.

>contract your core

This might be it. l made a video from a side-view and it is perfect form as compared to severaI other professionaI (non u tube peopIe) videos. My back may be my strongest muscIe set with shouIders a cIose second.

When shouId l contract my core? As soon as l begin moving the wheeI?
ShouId l keep my abs contracted the whoIe way through the rep? Going fuII extension then back up, reIeasing when l reach starting position?

As soon as you're committed to begin the movement. Your core should stay tight through the whole movement, even at full extension. It would just be harder and possibly painful to retighten your core and roll yourself back up. Provided starting position doesn't require strength to hold, it would be fine to release core tension at that point.

this was a surprisingly simple yet successful troll, gjob m8

Current Ab Regimen

50 Crunches
20 PushUps
15 Leglifts with hand across chest
2 Minute plank
50 Cherry Pickers
50 Mountain Climbers

Repeat x3

I am really struggling with the plank though. I started at one minute and increased by 10s every week but I can't get past 2 minutes. Tips are welcome

1 arm leg raise past 90degrees on pullup bar

if you can do two minutes, you can do three. You just have to suffer... are you really collapsing exactly two minutes? Just ignore the pain dog you can do it

This is compIeteIy in your head.

Hit a timer and just do as much as you can without Iooking at it. PIay a songer or cIip Ionger than 2 minutes and don't stop untiI it's done, then keep going anyway.

Just guilt yourself into going longer. I have clinical OCD which has actually helped in my planks. I can convince myself that I NEED to go for 30 seconds more etc
Also listen to a song, most will go for longer than 2 minutes