Diabetes

Anyone else here with the beetus?

>tfw got 5.1 a1c results last week but this weekend I've barely been able to stay below 200 despite increasing my boluses by 50%

Share stories, tips, difficulties. Diabetes is hard, anons, but we don't have to walk the road alone

Other urls found in this thread:

diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/zero-carb-no-plant-food.129127/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No matter what you do don't fall for the low carbs/keto meme ;
Whole food plant based diet cure diabete
Low carb high fat hide the symptom but don't cure you , it only make it worse long term

Stop eating meat. Meat and the preservatives in it cause diabetes.

I'm type 1, lads, not 2

Eat more meat. It's tasty as fuck, good for gains and pisses felching vegans off. The cuter and more endangered the animal, the better.

I have reactive hypoglycemia.

It sucks. I cant really eat anymore.

type 2 diabetic.. only way i know how to control my blood sugar is thru keto and lifestyle change..

dont wanna go plant based diet but it seems like the best..

I teach a diabetes control class for the YMCA focused on lifestyle changed, also trained for prevention but haven't taught one of those yet

All of my participants (that didn't drop out) lower their A1c merely by eating below 150 carb grams/day with more activity than they were doing previously

That's really shitty user, I'm sorry. How do you treat it?
How bad is your diabetes? Is it curable (some type 2 isn't)? Are you on a sliding scale?

keto works for type 1 too, to keep you blood sugar stable. disregard the vegan fags.

It's not the best. zerocarb is best for both types of beetus.

diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/zero-carb-no-plant-food.129127/

>How do you treat it?
There is no cure. You are told to eat smaller amounts and reduce or cut out carbs. None of this works for me, i can eat eggs and meat and still fall asleep at my desk.

Nothing worse than having an illness and being told "lol theres no cure m8"

I know how you feel, brother. I was diagnosed a few days after my 20th birthday, I was talking to a co-worker who has type 2 bad and describing how shitty I was feeling because of the symptoms I was feeling (polydipsia, polyurea, lost 30lb in a month, etc) and he tested my blood sugar. It was too high for his meter to read.

I bawled my eyes out on the deck, it was pathetic as fuck, and called my mum so I could meet her at the ER. The next few days in the hospital were some of the worst in my life, especially since I had dreams of reeblisting (medical washoutfag due to stress injuries).

I don't normally struggle with blood sugar control, but the past couple days it seems like food i normally eat fine is fucking my sugars for the rest of the day. I'm going to change my pumps infusion site to my leg when i get home to see if it changes things.

Whats the main physical problems with type 2?

My problem is hypoglycaemia which is essentially the opposite of diabetes. Feel dizzy, lightheaded a lot, fits of yawning and tiredness after food, sometimes i just have to take a nap, and at worse my face goes very tingly and itchy.

My diabetes is bad. Waking up in the 300s blood sugars fasted, incredibly insulin resistant (it takes about 20 units to get me back down to normal). Let me say there is no excuse, I did this to myself through bad decisions with eating. I lift weights, don't do cardio and have ate like shit.

NO EXCUSE. But I'm admitting it here so that I can get some type of advice from other diabetics. I'm going to cut carbs out for awhile so my insulin sensitivity can come back.

There's been points in my life where I was doing great, could eat low-carb (meaning around 100-120grams of carbs a day) and maintain a respectable blood sugar with no medication or insulin. That's the long-term goal.. to be off medication and insulin.

Idk I'm rambling bros. Someone smarter than me please tell me what to do

I'm type 1, so I cant speak about type 2 with absolute authority.

For me most of the struggle is hypoglycemia. I bottom out a lot (less so as I get more experienced and know when and what to eat). Other than that, I use an insulin pump which gets in the way a lot. I accidentally knocked three sensors out of my body yesterday, it made me want to break something.

I always have to carry around an extra infusion site in case I rip mine out.

Ive had a few times where my sugars dropped into the 40s and I didn't feel it for several minutes. That was scary.

I dont monitor anything yet, ive only just been diagnosed reactive.

I also have numb genitals which depressed me and i dont know the cause but i suspect its related. However i dont have numb hands or feet which is meant to be first.

When i was first diagnosed with 1, I ate probably only 50-100g a day. My second post diagnosis a1c was 4.9 after being at 13, and my triglycerides dropped from 450 to 44.

Autistic self control is necessary to keep the sugars down, man. Do cardio and drink lots of water (both help lower sugars).

If you lose weight (assuming you're still overweight) you'll gain some sensitivity back, also

I believe numbness comes from years of hyperglycemia destroying the nerves in your extremities. I dont know why hypoglycemia would give you numb genitals, but I'm not a doctor.

Do you have any goals or plans?

Asked the doctor about it last time, he said to get through my full blood sugar problems first. The process is so slow in the UK.

My penis is often quite cold to the touch, but i do not know if that is normal, it feels like touch maybe a table surface, not glass or metal cold but just a wooden table top cold.

I wonder if the reactive hypoglycemia is a symptom of an underlying condition, then. Have you gotten a CBC (complete blood cell count) recently? Do you have circulatory issues?

Diagnosed with T2 in late April vat around 240lbs.

I'm down to 170 now, I've had a normal range A1C (4.8-5.1) since July or August at least.

I'm trying to get my doctor to take me off metformin but it's pretty clear he doesn't want to. The frustrating thing is he won't give me any explanation. If he could just be straight with me or wouldn't bother me so much, but he can't even give me something like "I want your A1C normal for 6 months first"

In any case, I'm making it. I won't stop cutting until most of the fat is gone, and then I'll work to build muscle.

Honestly this isn't as awful as I feared it would be.

Don't give advice like that without backing it up. I've only seen positive changes in blood sugar since low carb. Prove to me it makes it worse long term, my doctor isn't advising me on treatment at all.

I really don't know, i feel like for you Americans you can just pop straight to the doctors and do all this stuff but it literally takes fucking months here. And you can't really just go in and ask for a billion tests, they have to find your general problem and then do a referal and then another appointment which takes weeks to set up. The only benefit is im not directly paying.

What does a CBC accomplish? I don't know if i have circulatory issues, i guess i often have cold feet, but ive ignored it so long ive forgotten.

It determines the makeup of your blood - how many erythrocytes, leukocytes, thrombocytes etc you have per mm^3. The numbness in the genitalia (and cold feet) could be a result of anemia (which is a lot more common than you might think) or an iron deficiency.

Sounds like awesome progress user! Have you talked to your doctor about your concerns? You could always cut the metformin for a couple of days and monitor the results - if you stay within normal range all day, you could bring that fact to your Dr for your next visit.

>anemia
Hmm, i don't think i have the other symptoms, but i will request a full blood test then.

I am genuinely scared my penis will need to be amputated eventually.

Im not a doctor obviously (though I do work in the medical field) so take what I say with a grain of salt, but the fact that your Dr was so flippant about continued numbness in a body part is worrying. I would also mention the cold feet.

In the meantime, add some foods high in iron to your diet (or take a supplement) and see if your symptoms improve. If you're iron deficient, your hemoglobin wont be able to properly exchange gases between cells which could be a cause (as you basically have reduced blood flow to your extremities even though theres nothing wrong with your arteries/arterioles.

I will order some iron pills, can't hurt right? (Right???)

Can the feeling come back though or is my dick fucked, it cant feel touch anymore really.

Taking an iron supplement can't hurt you.

If you have an iron deficiency or anemia, then yes, as blood flow returns, you'll gain back feeling.

If its not that, I dont know m8. You need to advocate for yourself to your doc if the issue doesnt go away, though, so that you can properly treat yourself. You're paying for your NHS, make them do their fucking jobs and figure out whats wrong with your dick, if iron pills dont help and you get a CBC that returns normal.

Thing is i can still get an erection just fine and very hard, but is that more to do with the blood physically filling up the penis, whereas feeling is more to do with the quality of the blood?

Yes i will request the test, i am getting more adamant with my doctor, hes very nice but slow to act.

That would make sense for an iron or hemoglobin deficiency as you would have regular blood volume, but inefficient exchange of gas to your cells (explaining thr numbness with the ability to achieve erection)

I swear if this fixes my problem il think of you every time i cum. Thanks.

Here, a Scotch egg, a UK snack, a good low carb snack, boiled egg wrapped in sausage meat.

You got it m8. I sincerely hope I helped your dick out. Happy nut busting, user

I seeing him in a week and I'm going to try to articulate it as best I can.

My main concern is that being on metformin too long will make it harder to go into remission naturally. Maybe that's unfounded, but that's what I want to discuss I guess.

I don't actually have a glucose monitor, I just get tested at monthly doctors visits. He told me I didn't need one, and since my progress has been so obviously positive it didn't concern me so much. Should I get one?

You can get a one touch mini ultra monitor and 50 strips for 20 bucks from the Wal-Mart pharmacy. I would recommend having one handy so that you can experiment with food/med combinations to see their effect on you. If you buy one, make sure you match the code on the strip bottle to the machine.

If you take yourself off metformin and take your sugars 2x a day (morning fasting and evening before dinner) for say, a week, you can show your doctor that you either don't need the metformon anymore, or you'll have highs and you'll know you still need it.

I hope all u beetus 1 bros get better
You are all gonna make it
Send me a postcard from there

Was 270lb 8.1 a1c. List weight and went whole food vegan and now 175lb 5.1 a1c (that was a long time ago when I was still like 200lb, prob lower now) and glucose in the 70s / 80s. T2 diabetes is completely cureable.

How do you guys deal with canula sets and exercise? I'm skellington tier thin and trying to improve but the pump sets seem to get in the way. No body fat limits where I can put them in too, any help guys?

I unhook my pump when I lift. The infusion site itself mostly lies flat and doesn't get in the way without tubing attached to it.

You can also try attaching to your inner thighs if it really gets in the way a lot. I put mine there sometimes, and when i was injecting my thighs were always my lantus/morning bolus location

/fasting/ cures type 2 beetus

Not all type 2s are curable.

Fasting can be very dangerous for diabetics who take long acting insulin, also, leading to hypoglycemia.

What are symptoms to look for? I am a former fatty, though I lost a lot of weight about 5-6 years ago and kept it off. The only symptoms I seem to have are a lot of thirst and pissing a lot, but that could also be because I workout 6 times a week.My feet or legs never feel numb unless I sit for a while and I have no problem gaining or losing weight with diet. I sometimes feel fatigue, but I think that is due to caffeine crash and lack of motivation. I know simplest way to find out would be to go get tested, but I still want actual reason behind it like symptoms. Like is there something to look for after a high carb meal or something? Will your body react?

Maybe, again though my main issue is that I have so little body fat I can only use my ass cheeks; my stomach has too much scar tissue now. Do thigh sets hurt/rub? I feel like they would be even more of an issue desu

You piss a lot, constantly thirsty, you drop weight extremely fast, and you're constantly hungry. If you're extremely tired a few hours after a carb heavy meal, you could be hyperglycemic.

Honestly, if youre worried, but a test kit from walmart. It costs 20 bucks. Test in the morning before you eat.

Sounds like you need to swap sites more often mate. I have each half of my abdomen divided into three sections I use.

Thighs don't hurt as long as you're careful about not hitting your quad, though. Get the fatty inner portion and swap sites often

How often do you guys check your blood sugar per day?

long family history of type 2, of one parent's side got it either mid forties when overweight (but not huge) or during pregnancy.

Current plan is to lower carbs and get body fat as low as possible, apart from the cardio i keep putting off is there anything else to do?

I check mine 2x to calibrate my cgm and then prn

Stay away from foods high on the glycemic index, dont drink or smoke, and keep your weight low is all you can really do user.

I'm gonna head to sleep anons, I'll try and answer more questions tomorrow

Like I say, I have the piss a lot and constantly thirsty, but nothing else really, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. I guess I will just have to grab a test kit.

thanks user.