/run/ - Cardio Bunny Edition

>Oh, hey user!
>Didn't see you there.
>Well, since you're here, do you want to do a quick 10k run with me right now? :3

Other urls found in this thread:

strava.com/clubs/fitizens
mahabis.com/blogs/journal/17998244-life-in-the-fast-lane-the-world-s-speediest-cities
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

H...ha... I'm only on week 2 of couch to 5k h-haha...

>10k run in my onesie? I haven't even finished my juicebox yet mom...

No sorry, my hotter gf is waiting for me to play tennis with her

That's only like 4 miles right? Why is your ass so small?

>Oh, that's ok...
>I guess I'll call Chad right now and see if he wants to run with me.

a 10k is 6.2 miles

dont have time for this bullshit

How do i train running pace for short races?
I need to run 2400m in at least 11min 30sec for the army physical exam and I can run it in 12min 15 sec right now (untrained)

Should i run every day or do i need time for recovery?
Been thinking about going running 5 times a week;
2x 20 min HIIT
2x 45 min jog
1x 2400m as fast as I can

As for recovery, I hit the sauna about 3 times a week and I supplement l glutamine

have those of you who improved your running times noticed stronger erections?

if so, what kind of running times does one need to have to notice an improvment?

>in at least 11min 30sec

At least or at most?

Well, it's a point system and at least is 12min 30 sec so I'd be good but I figured I could aim for 11min 30sec at least
At most is sub 10 min

I have about 3 months for the exam and I'm at a caloric deficit to be as lean as possible

Would appreciate any input

>say no and cartwheel to the gym to do my daily squats
Not today, gains goblin.

Looks good. Following your program, the best thing would be 1×hiit, 1×jog, 1×rest, 1×hiit, 1×jog or 2k4, 1×rest. What's your plan for hiit? 20 minutes is a lot depending on how you do it. I usually do either sprints (warm up 5 minutes then 10×50 meters with 10s rest after every sprint) or hiit while running (after 5 minutes, I alternate 30s fast, 30s normal pace ×3, 1 minute normal pace, again 30-30×3, 1 minute, 30-30x4). You can start with more moderate "fast pace" times, like 15-45.

What are some good running books? Pic related has got great reviews on Amazon. Is it any good?

I'm looking for books that cover stuff like
>technique
>training philosophies
>mental framing techniques
>injury prevention tips

On the treadmill i usually jog 2 minutes at 7 kmh and then 1 minute at 13 kmh and outside same thing, 2 min relaxed jogging and 1 minute about 80% intensity

I like your routine though and I'll try to follow it

How important is rest btw?
Do I need a full day off once a week?
I lift 3 days a week or more when I have the time and I would incorporate the cardio after I lift, then hop into the sauna

Ex fatty here again, another quick question- at the beginning of week 7 of c25k I'm getting to the end of runs OK but finding it very difficult and slowing down towards the end, ending up with an 11:30ish average pace. I've read that this is too slow for proper form and will lead to injury. Am I supposed to still be this sluggish at this point in the program or should I go back and repeat a couple weeks until I'm closer to an 8 minute pace? Obviously I'd rather just get it done but I don't know if I'm just wrecking my shit or not.

What's your best 5k time bro's?

I did 24:02 a few days ago. Getting there.

>tfw no cardio bunny gf to run with

How can one picture disgust me and turn me on at the same time

Literally a walk in the park

It's not run if you walk.

>quick 10k run with me
how long is this supposed to take?

anything taking over 30 minutes is not quick

a half erect penis?

>not being able to run a 10k in under 30 min

Fuck no im bulking bitch

12 min for 2400 is ez mode, just keep runing and ull get there in no time
sure babe, trails i hope? or you are road bunny runner?

Rest days are not mandatory if you don't over-do it. Usually I have 0 rest during a full week. Meaning that as long as I'm not on holidays, I use my legs for sport everyday (run, bike, badminton, lifting). But for big runs or competitions, I usually stop everything 72h before the date. I only do hiit or sprints once 48h before.

But if you're just starting, don't "overtrain", get rest days and get good shoes adapted to your running and your feet. Otherwise you're going to start having articulation problems, tendinitis, etc.

>quick 10k

I would likely die if I tried.

Depend if its flat or not. When flat, I run 5k a little under 20 minutes.

I did my first one ever yesterday in 32:00
feelsbadman

I'm so far behind everyone.

I've ran a 5k once a week for the past year, yet I can't get past the 4 mile mark. What's wrong with me? I want to start doing 10ks.

I usually finish my 5k in about 27 minutes.

emphatically no

long runs in below about 60 fahrenheit actually used to make my wiener shrivel up to alarmingly small proportions, though of course it always got back to normal after a warm shower

You can still do 10k. Add sprints, intervals or hiit. Do uphill sprints if you can. Try shortening the rest time or rest while still running (slower or at your normal pace). All this improved my stamina and my times. I usually run 10k in around 40 minutes.

And run more. I do 20km (2×5 and 1x10) per week when I'm not training for races (I usually run more those weeks).

It sometimes take time to improve. Don't worry about it, you're gonna go where you want to be eventually.

DROPPED

How quick bitch? If you're not sub 40 go fuck yourself

>3 months for the exam
trying to make the british army march cutoff ah?

>sure
>die from lack of stamina a few miles in

Which country are you from?

Bls respond, I've seen conflicting advice and I don't want to fuck myself up just when I've started having fun

i'm really slow and can only jog 4 miles in 54 minutes right now.

realistically, with a couple months of training could i cut it down to 40 minutes?

Literally only 1 person I know would run 10k casually.

a quick 2-3 miles would be just fine. after that, you're killing my gains.

depends on how strong you are. If you have a good base of strength. 8 min miles would be easy.

1/2/3/4 is a good enough for that to be easy.

>5 years ago
>right after high school
>friend that lives near me likes jogging
>wants me to go with him
>nah x 3
>keeps asking me
>oh alright
>have to keep stopping/slowing down for him
>friend gets knee pain
>stops asking me to jog with him

Do you feel any pain or any strain while running? Do not hesitate to watch youtube videos on correct running form.

Once again, it might take time to get to the times you aim, everybody performs differently and you should not push it too hard at the beginning.

I've always been pretty fast, just not strong. I used to run long distance consistently when I was a teenager, I could run like 6-7 miles but my legs were toothpicks and I still can't squat much more than 1 pl8

strength has literally nothing to do with how fast you can run anything over a mile

Just did a 4km run. I'm kind of sick and my nose and throat are full of mucus so it wasn't easy but I felt better afterwards so it was for the best I guess.

I usually try to find an interesting looking cover and then go from there.

Oh boy. Exercise physiology 101 has you signed up for their course.

>What is injury prevention?
>What is fatigue resistance?
>What is anaerobic development?
Do I need to go on? Why would even marathoners do strength exercises such as hill repeats? Protip: strength building is something it significantly helps. Why do they do intervals? Protip: build anaerobic development, fatigue resistance, and VO2max. Why do they do core exercises? Protip: strengths core and helps running economy.

Now do you see why you are an idiot?

I've been "running" 5ks since like June and my best time is a 30:51, started around 37 minutes. Very frustrating.

How do I get faster Veeky Forums?

180-age. Keep your HR within 10BPM below that. Do this for a year until you have a halfway decent aerobic engine.

So, I just finished "5k to 10k", first started running altogether half a year ago with C25K. My pace is usually somewhere between 5:30/km and 5:15/km and I run three times a week. Should I go directly to training for a half-marathon over winter and spring (adding 2x 45 min crosstraining and one run per week) or should I improve anything (pace etc.) before that? Any general advice for someone rather new to the game like me?

Thanks in advance!

Are people really this slow? I can maintain a 15mph run for quite a while and I fucking smoke

I have to return some videotapes.

I'm 250lbs and I can run a 3 mile in 20 minutes 18 seconds. Some people just don't train for it though it's mostly mental

Hahahahaha. You got something wrong. 15mph=24kmp
Fastest marathonians run at 13mph.

how the fuck am i supposed to be running when it's -14 degrees out

I can think of more fun and intense things to do that will take at least 2 hours and burn 1000 calories

Further proof Veeky Forums is nothing but liars. The only ones that are not are the ones that are in the Strava group.

Threadly reminder lads: strava.com/clubs/fitizens

srsly tho, running is the most boring fitness activity I know. also pain in your legs is a thousand times more annoying than that in your chest and arms.

ask me how i know youre an unathletic gym rat

if you run on a treadmill and post your treadmill times, please don't forget to state so, it's not real running

>4 miles in 54 minutes
Nigger, I can walk that.

You can walk normally for 1 mile in 13 minutes?

Fuck off.

Not him but I can also.

I am a fat who sucks at running and I can run 3 miles in 24 minutes. 4 miles takes me 33.

I used to run 10k every day back when I was a neet. Lost a ton of weight and got from a fatass to skinny guy. But I had also lost a lost of muscly, or just not grown any.
So now I lift weights instead of running. It doesn't give you the same high, it is more expensive and it isn't as fun. But it gives you a way better body and you will feel better in the long run.[pun not intended]

Remember: Veeky Forums is filled with elites that break norms all the time!

mahabis.com/blogs/journal/17998244-life-in-the-fast-lane-the-world-s-speediest-cities
>6.15km/hr
>converted: 3.8mph

>this meme again
it's like the sumo pull vs deadlift debate
NO, the sumo pull is NOT different from a deadlift
now stop saying treadmills are different from a trail
any modern treadmill has these programs called "hills" "slopes" "terrain" to create the same effect as running in those environs. my treadmill even has a huge fan on it to simulate the same wind resistance I'd feel if I was really running. Plus, my Facebook Oculus VR Goggles give me infinite possibilities as to where I want to run. Do I want to run in Africa with the negroes? Now I can do that from the safety of my home.

Cardio is the easiest thing to improve. I could go from couch to 5k in like a month. Especially at cardio bunny pace, its like walking. They give the illusion of being fast but they're short as fuck and I walk at the same pace they jog at. That being said, I don't run anymore as it steals gainz. Plus who cares how far you can run, it's literally a useless metric.

>cardio steals gains
good luck being able to push yourself in the weightroom when one set puts you out of breath.
just look at cyclists who bike hundreds of miles a day yet have giant fucking quads and calves.
as long as you provide your body with energy sources to avoid catabolism you'll grow.

When trying to gain muscle your body has a limited amount of recovery ability. If you work out AND run, you will recover slower, leading to less mass in the same amount of time.

I'm about to go /FRAUD/ tho and will def cardio as recovery won't be an issue

maybe if you're doing intense training beyond cardio but cardio is literally the intensity your muscles can keep up without using lactic-producing energy sources. during cardio, your muscles don't use glycogen they use oxidized fats which only produces co2, no lactic acid. no lactic aci = no muscle damage. plus you're not even stressing your muscles fibers during cardio. this means you might have to walk uphills because running up a hill will require a more immediate energy source.
what i do: do my weightlifting then eat my postworkout shake then an easy 30 to 60 minutes of cardio. i maintain 140bpm and just enjoy my audio books. it's so easy i don't even have to focus unlike when lifting heavy weights where you gotta psych yourself up and almost black out. after each set.

Google is free lmfao you fucking nerd

New to running, finally able to jog an entire mile.

how are your joints? i can run forever but my joints always hurt after a few weeks of running. even low intensity stuff like 1 hour running every other day leaves me with pains.

My knees often feel sore. I am questioning my posture, I feel my legs bend naturally inward

maffetone's website is a good start
pose running (like the book in your pic) is okay
you might like born to run, or not
4 hour body has some shit on running in it
the retard kelly starret has an over-complicated book on running form that you might like or like to avoid

14:59 back in the Spring

did one mile in about 8 mins
gonna try to cut it to 7 mins

it's 220 - age, 180 minus age is pretty low, your HR climbing the subway stairs!

I went from couch to 10k in four runs over a week and a half.

1st run, calf pains and shortness of breath after 5 mins, finished 3k with a number of walking breaks

2nd run, another 3k less calf pain kicked in about half way, only 1 walk break

3rd run, finished 5k, had to dig deep but overall less pain and better breathing

4th run, goal was another 5k, took a big bong hit before run. Reached 6.5k and was another half k from home, runners high really kicked in and told my buddy lets fucking do it. Hit 10k and probably could have went a bit further.

I quit smoking a few days before that first run too. You just have to push yourself hard and not be a bitch.

Weed helps too.

Did my first half marathon and I got it under 1 hour 40 minutes without too much effort.

Think I want to challenge the full marathon in Havana coming.

Anyone done half to full marathon with a half assed training schedule?

>I need to run 2400m in at least 11min 30sec

What the fuck. You can literally do that walking.

Are you burgersharts THAT fucking fat?

Check your running technique. Are you landing on your heed or more along the mid or front of the sole? Are you striking the ground with a bent knee?

Generally, look into minimalist shoes, which force your body into a correct running posture. Nike's 4.0 flyknit shoes are a good start that won't kill your calves.

if you're a racewalker

he/she has a different problem. excessive knee valgus. may or may not be due to hip/ankle mobility issues. if female, it may be structural.

Im a fatty and I'm running about 2.5 miles everyday. I have to stop multiple times during the run though because I suck at running. How long until I can do this without stopping? Any breathing tips? My running route has flat, uphill, and downhill sections, is this good?

Pls respond ;_;

Unless your goal in life is to collect race t-shirts, I'd go running and just try to have fun.

.15:01. god damn it.

22:40. Working my way up (down) too.

Serious question: how much pain do you guys feel when you guys run?

I have a heart condition so I can run an 8 minute mile but always feel dead at the end of it.

I also can jog a slow 5k but after I finish, I feel like l've just run a marathon.

a 30 minute 10k is definitely quick
a slow pace doesn't necessarily mean bad form, and whether you repeat a little bit to move the pace up depends on your goals. If you're purely going for burning calories, you're fine at a slow pace, but I find running faster is more interesting/fun anyway.
I would recommend that instead of 2400m as fast as you can every week, you do a tempo run a little bit slower and farther. maybe a 3k at 8 minute pace or something, and work your way down.
Obviously depends on your goals (finish a half vs finish a half in a certain time vs be generally athletic, etc) but if I were you I would improve the pace first. It's personal preference I suppose, but just adding distance gets pretty boring unless you're in the mountains or somewhere fun like that.
Honestly I find that the biggest difference with a treadmill is mental: you don't have to constantly think about your pace. That's a big thing normally.

When I'm coming back from an injury everything feels pretty awful, but after a few weeks back things start looking better. How does the heart condition affect your training?

It basically is supposed to zap my cardio since my heart pumps out maybe half of what a normal human's heart pumps out.

Best thing I can do for myself is to do cardio regularly anyway to "exercise" my heart muscles without inducing the strain/high blood pressure caused by heavy lifting.

>4 minute mile pace
Do you use a bike when you run?

That sucks. If you want more interesting scenery you could probably do bike rides instead. They take longer to get the same effort in, but when my runs have been feeling shitty it can be nice to have the change of pace.

Ok, today I ran 4 miles at 8mp/h since the machines are imperial for some reason. That's 12.88kp/h. Earlier in the year when I felt fairly trained, I did 10km in 42 minutes. That's 14.29kmp/h. Hell, 9mp/h on the treadmill is more than that. That's really encouraging

That said, I tried a 5 minute mile (12mp/h) and I couldn't last 80 seconds. I guess I should train for mile times.

signed Bruce Lee