What does Veeky Forums think of calisthenics?

What does Veeky Forums think of calisthenics?
Did some shit from YouTube for abs yesterday and some arms from thenx today, is it worth buying or is it trash? I remember in the military that was all we did most of the time and it was great.

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/88erikk/?hl=en
youtu.be/Db6XqJqNBpU
youtube.com/watch?v=fISgKl8dB3M
youtube.com/watch?v=8jh7lw0cVqw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ultimately dips and pullups are the only bodyweight you need, but barbell training is far superior.

I feel that calisthenics should be the basis of physical fitness for everyone in america.
That everyone should know how to and can perform basic calisthenics movements and walk or run for an appropriate amount of time.
That every single beginner fitness program should just be a basic calisthenics + walking or jogging program to build a basic foundation of fitness.

Everything else is pointless athleticism that doesn't really help them in their day to day life.

Do it.
Doing machine cardio and free weights are great. But manipulating your whole body to move through your own speed and to test your own agility is great.

Pull ups work the lats like no other machine out there or weighted movement, but in what real life situation will you use pull up strength?

I was infantry and calisthenics is all we did not counting ruck marches maybe, so it actually is great for everyday life.

I like how it's faster paced and seems to give a more finite control over the body, that and I hate spending for a gym membership when I could do all calisthenics with a minimal home gym that's essentially just bars and weight belts or vests.

No bodyweight movement will have the impact of what a deadlift can do

1.builds grip strength
2.builds traps
3.builds posterior chin for sex and stuff
4.builds mu skeletal density
5.builds a bullet proof back
6.helps with posture

So add deadlifts to bodyweight training? Seems reasonable enough

What real life situation will you need a squat or a deadlift or a Benchpress?
But it's shilled here as the be all end all all of the time.
Exercise is about training the body to be better at functioning and improving health. Any routine you do should help you become better at your day to day activities and not just be an entirely pointless activity that exists simply to make you better at doing the activity itself.
Also pulling yourself up and pulling things towards you tends to be something that people want to do.
Why do people fucking ask stuff like that.
It's like they don't know how their own bodies function.

There's a reason that basically every military on earth has always made calisthenics mandatory.

Glute ham raises.

If you master that then you can deadlift more then most naturals with ease.

Also doing rope grip pullups and chinups and fingertip pushups and handstands will give ridiculous grip gains.

Can get you lean as fuck

Agreed. Doing all that is seeing where you are at. Example 3mile run., you do sprints, long runs, leg muscle work out, just you can be better at your run

OP here I'll probably go for this program for a while see where it gets me then, too lazy to come up with my own routine so it works for me.

>having to do 20 different exercises to replicate the deadlift
>well memed

Listen man there i no end all be all fitness regime, but barbell training in conjunction with some bodyweight training seems to be a good bet; you want to play around with handstands and pistol squats you do you, but don't say bw is how are bodies "are supposed to move".

>>having to do 20 different exercises to replicate the deadlift
>>well memed

You're fucking retarded.

GHR is all you need for your entire posterior chain.
Doing rope chinups/pullups and finger tip variations of calisthenics movements occasionally is not a billion different exercises.

Look, you're stupid lazy and probably never did anything when it comes to fitness beyond dick aorund with barbell lifting. I get that.
But don't sit there and fucking pretend that it's the greatest and most needed thing on the fucking planet.
It's not.

And barbell lifting is not fucking natural. Not even close.
It's absolute shit for strengthening the body next to calisthenics and dumbbells and lifting uneven items.
It's litterally just a centuries old vestigial tail left over from old timey strongman bullshit.
Building your entire fucking routine around just that is fool hardy.
It is pure ego lifting nonsense.

I think it's harder than barbell work physically and mentally. Progress is harder to notice than weight going up on the bar and incompetence is more obvious.

T. anecdotal

Lmao you sound upset man, you do realize when it comes to training the entirety of the population barbell training allows for safe loading and easy progression which makes it the greatest tool for conditioning. Bodyweight fags like Dan jeong, and Tyson Edwards are good at doing handstand push-ups and planche, but when it comes to overhead press they can’t do fuck all close to a bodyweight overhead press.

>barbell training is lazy

Get back to me when you can do your double bodyweight deadlift for a AMRAP.
instagram.com/88erikk/?hl=en

This dude gots the right idea ^

is he natty?

user...
People who do handstand pushups not being able to do bodyweight OHP has nothing to do with their strength.
It has everything to do with them not training the movement.

It will take no time at all for them to train up for that movement.
Not so for guys who can OHP that much.

By the way.
Bringing in geared athletes makes everything meaningless because they don't function like normal human beings anymore.

>T. anecdotal
It's only an anecdote to someone who's entire understanding of fitness starts and stops at powerlifting.

What even is a glute ham raise?

lmao why y'all dumb ass 03's always gotta throw in your job regardless of the context

calisthenics is all that any company of any MOS in the whole Marine Corps ever do

Someone is a POG should've said pic unrelated though, I was 11b and it did have a reason. I thought he meant calisthenics were pointless athleticism and that's an example of how they're not.

Please don't buy a calisthenics routine. For abs, all you need is an ab wheel. For a progressive calisthenics routine, Google (but look beyond the first link of Men's Health garbage).

If you absolutely need to spend money, get a coach that knows barbell lifts. Examining your own form while lifting is like fixing a car while driving.

>can get you lean as fuck

I don't want to know the kind of women you're bringing home where posterior chain strength (over endurance) is a limiting factor

build muscle with weights, maintain with calisthenics.

I do massage therapy.
During long effleurage strokes, to maintain my flow I will use my lats with footwork to pull.

Pull ups are the shit

Dips are dangerous for a large number of humanity no matter the knowledge and fitness level. Push ups are superior.

No shit it's anecdotal. Fitness and nutrition is a big, warbling fog of anecdotes. Do you think Bill Starr had huge datasets to back up his routine? Do you think that Ripptits had any evidence to support his barbible when he ripped it wholesale from Starr? Even now, next to no fitness routine has a large enough dataset or even RESEARCH behind it to be anything but secondhand anecdotes. Fitness is such horseshit that finding what doesn't work is a lot harder than finding what will yield positive results. You meme on me about machines and I can produce strongman competitors or Mr O winners that use machines. The entire reason why people are asked to post body is due to the anecdotal nature of fitness.

Calisthenics is great for physical fitness. You can be healthy and athletic and dynamically strong with it. It is not ideal for bodybuilding.

I don't want to be built, just fit I don't really have a reason to be either, just want to improve myself, and rather than be a meat head I'd rather be cut asf

>What does Veeky Forums think of calisthenics?
Originally invented by the Germans around 1850. Was first a system of natural movements like running, rope climbing and such things, based on the ancient training methods of Greeks and Romans. Later on (late 1800s) turned into the stuff we know today, which was called "Zimmergymnastik" (room gymnastics) and was used by people who didn't have the space to do "real" exercise - which was also loosely based on the medieval training routines of monks who wanted to stay fit in their tiny rooms (their training looked differently, but was similar in spirit).

The modern approach appeared after the early 1900s, with Swedes and Germans trying to invent a routine that could be done by anyone for health and was subsequently adopted during the World Wars by the American army, since Americans loved the European gymnastics a lot. The same Swedish and German gymnastics were also the forerunner of modenr Yoga, which was created by adding older breathing exercises to said physical exercises, to create an "original Indian" art form since nationalism was on the rise there at the time.

After WW2, all this got sacked, because it was deemed too effective and dangerous after witnessing how the German Wehrmacht was pretty awesome in melee fights and physically much superior to all other armies, the same as what happened in the trenches of WW1. So the Allies decided to ban physical exercise with any resemblance to martial exercises in the ex-Axis countries and instead stole what the yoculd get (giving birth to the infamous Soviet sports science decades later, which in turn got sacked after steroids became mainstream and weight lifting for all athletes became to new Norm in the late early 60s).

So, we now have some half-baked form of calisthenics in the end, similar to what people did during WW1 and WW2, but not the same at all. Internet fame mainly arose during the early and mid-00s with Coach Sommer's articles on Dragondoor back then.

>After WW2, all this got sacked, because it was deemed too effective and dangerous after witnessing how the German Wehrmacht was pretty awesome in melee fights and physically much superior to all other armies, the same as what happened in the trenches of WW1. So the Allies decided to ban physical exercise with any resemblance to martial exercises in the ex-Axis countries and instead stole what the yoculd get

lol wut

>And barbell lifting is not fucking natural. Not even close.
True. Barbell got invented by a French Communist around the 1850 also (Hyppolite Triat was the name, I think). Dumbells are a lot older, but were not generally used in the exercises we recognize today until the late 1800s/early 1900s.

t.

A Veeky Forums therapist? Where do you work?

I have no idea.
America was basically pardoning nazi's and japanese war criminals and giving them all of the funding they could want and all of the resources they could ever need.

I'm DAMNED sure that the nazi sympathizers in the american military would have welcomed the guys who trained the nazi soldiers with open arms.

Kek

>Calisthenics is natural
kek, maybe if you are cutting down a tree or something. You can't actually be this deluded.

Man, I could write novels about this, but yeah, it was pretty much like that. You have to keep in mind that WW1 basically destroyed any martial tradition in France and the UK because the German Sturmtruppen just fucked them up. Only Japanese Ju Jutsu (not trained anymore like back then) was proven effective. Catch as Catch Can, Sports Boxing and French Savate got killed. Hence, they turned into sports afterwards. Savate nowadays is just a reverse engineering from book and good pupils that survived, since basically no master of the style survived WW1.

WW2, however, proved that there had to be something to the Germany way of training, sicne by then, everyone was doing Japanese Ju Jutsu (which later on got killed off for Judo under very mysterious circumstances - the infamous Ju Jutsu vs Judo match that would decide the future of both styles never actually happened the way we think, for example) and the Germans still murdered everyone in melee. Hence, German Wehrsport (martial sports) got banned after the war and were only reluctantly re-introduced with "American sports science" sports like, for example, jogging, aerobic, stretching, high rep calisthenics, etc. Yes, all of those are very, very modern approaches, not older than the 60s.

more to the point, who cares what's natural? I wear glasses because nobody in my family on either side for like four generations can see worth a fuck, including me. that's "unnatural." well, boo hoo, I like being able to see.

define an outcome, evaluate your training with respect to that outcome. this hand-wavy "strengthening the body" stuff isn't worth a pitcher of warm spit. Calisthenics are better for calisthenics than barbells, barbells are better for barbells than calisthenics, some balance of both (plus specific practice) is good for sports depending on the sport, specific goals with respect to that sport, and where you're starting out. I do, in fact, spend part of the year cutting trees (and brush, and digging ditches), and most of my training is barbell work, chins, hiking with weight, and specific practice (cutting brush or whomping tires with a sledgehammer.).

>Man, I could write novels about this, but yeah, it was pretty much like that
I could write novels about killing dragons armed with nothing but my massive schlong, but that don't make it so. do you have a primary source? for any of this? in particular, the claim that "wehrsport was banned"? Not that specific groups were prohibited from meeting, but that you could, for example, be arrested for doing turkish get-ups or chins or whatever? And that this somehow prevented the Allied powers from using turkish get-ups or chins or whatever in their own training?

Hey do you happen to have the workout of nazis during that time?Or an old school calisthenics routine?Thank you for your time.

Get a set of rings and some resistance bands and you're set. If you can do shit like planche push ups, front lever rows handstand push-ups etc you're going to pretty strong. If you're like five foot two and 90 you'll probably gain fuck all but if you weigh more than a sack of potatoes then you can get some nice strength and muscle gains. Legs is pretty limited but take up some cycling or sprinting along with the bodyweight shit and your legs will be decent, but don't expect much more than that.

> Dips are dangerous for a large number of humanity no matter the knowledge and fitness level

This is almost solely because of poor form and general shoulder pronation. Doing rows (in addition to pullups) will go a long long way towards fixing shoulder pronation, and will make dips safe to do. And since you're doing rows, might as well do pushups.

Push Day:
Head stand pushups
Dips (weighted if desired)
Wide pushups
Narrow pushups
triceps isolation

Pull Day:
Pullups
Chin-Ups
Horizontal Rows
Inclined rows
shoulder or biceps isolation

Legs/Core:
Squats, Lunges, Sprinting, w/e

I know what supinated and pronated grips are. Is shoulder pronation when the shoulders are pulled back?

Why pay for anything when convict Conditioning is free? Literally just google it and it pops up.

Climbing up/over things

Retard SS baby

The way I see it is the body doesn't know the difference between calisthenics and weight training, provided the rep range are in the ideal range.

That being said, I love doing barbell lifts. But I always incorporate pull ups and dips in my routine because I think they are the squats and deadlifts of the upperbody.

The matter of one style of training being better than the other is just someone's preference for training. One isn't better than the other.

Barbell for strength and size. Calisthenics for skills and agility.

Combine both for best results

>The way I see it is the body doesn't know the difference between calisthenics and weight training
True only for beginner movements. You can't compare an iron cross to a 400lbs bench press.

bruh i believe you're onto something but you're sucking too much german army cock. after all all martial arts boil down to 4 punches, some kicks, using momentum to your advantage, and a couple of ways to throw people, twist joints and such shit. then you have to combine those. i guarantee that if you and your tried to invent a martial art by hurting yourself in a gym and seeing what works you could build some badass system.

martial arts aren't arcane magic that's lost to time, sooner or later a trainer will figure out that some punches work in a specific setting and he will teach his pupils this. and this happens in literally all martial arts gyms in the world

Can I enlist in the American army if I have acne scars all over my chest shoulders and back? No acne just scarring. I'd hate for them to think "you'll get acne again and get skin infections so fuck off!" I did Accutane when I was a teen and stopped getting breakouts ever since.

Nah, you should be good.

If you still got acne, talk to your doc and see about getting perscribed some accutane as well

Agreed user. I've been saying this for years. Most people shouldn't be in the gym frankly, they should be doing simple calisthenics and running.

Are you refering to this Tyson Edwards?

youtu.be/Db6XqJqNBpU

agreed.

old a/c joint separations can be iffy with dips. There's also the famous sternum cartilage issue.

(I don't disagree that chins and rows will help, but it still pays to be careful.).

>Get back to me when you can do your double bodyweight deadlift for a AMRAP.
>double bodyweight deadlift for a AMRAP

Everyone on the planet can do this. Not to say that for most people their AMRAP is more than 0.

Don't say anything about it, worst event you go to your doc and get a waiver and you're good.

>tfw gymnast

(unironically) This skill is very useful and shouldn't be taken lightly

We almost had it, user. Imagine what we could have been...
youtube.com/watch?v=fISgKl8dB3M

kys weak dyel

T. twinks

youtube.com/watch?v=8jh7lw0cVqw

>uses one lifter known for focusing on not just specific exercises
Way to use the minority to generalize tge majority.

>What real life situation will you need a squat or a deadlift
Gee, I don't know. Maybe picking things up off of the floor?

there is nothing bad about calisthenics, it's just that weight training is more time efficient.

Only for building overall strength and gaining muscle mass. There are zero things better than lifting for strength and mass.

Pronated is shoulders pushed forwards like in a hunch. The deltoids take over the job of the pecs in that position, and the small rotators bear too much load. It leads to injury, and lack of pectoral stimulation on just about any pressing exercise.

are you the guy that posted about this on /pol/ before?

if not you then someone else did and they posted a pdf of a german physical training manual

Have any more of this jizz wiz?

calisthenics is ok for upper body but still objectively inferior to weight training

pronation-scapula forward
retraction-scapula back
elevation-scapula up
depression-scapula down

shits important to know to not snap ur shit up

>still objectively inferior to weight training

depends on the goal.

there's bodybuilders that look great but they cant do a single pull up. being able to move your own bodyweight about in a controlled manner is infinitely more useful day to day than having big muscles.

ideally you want a middle ground of bodybuilding for aesthetics and calisthenics for 'functional mobility'... and no im not suggesting crossfit or any of those faggot things, just do both bb'ing and bodyweight.

its almost as if people all have different fitness goals and different ways they want their bodies to look

lol wut

fuark

it doesn't depend on your goal, even if you want to get better at pull-ups, doing weighted pull-ups is no longer calisthenics.
also the whole idea that pull-ups are some kind of ultimate test of fitness is complete bullshit, I used to weight 75kg and do about 18 full-range pull-ups, now I weight 88kg and can do about 12. I'm much, much stronger now and much more fit, my legs aren't all bones anymore.

This guy looks identical to Vin Diesel

forgot pic

It's almost as if powerlifters and bodybuilders are scared shitless that people will decide to start thinking "maybe there's something to this calisthenics thing" and shit bomb every single fucking thread that even mentions bodyweight training.

>even if you want to get better at pull-ups
eh...specific practice helps, though it's certainly a viable approach to focus on rows and pulls and then start banging out bodyweight chins a month before the test date.

>I used to weight 75kg and do about 18 full-range pull-ups, now I weight 88kg and can do about 12.
strong dreamer bulk (or strong change of priorities, which is fine I guess)

t. could do about 10 pullups at 77 and can now do 18 at 91

>I feel that calisthenics should be the basis of physical fitness for everyone in america.
>That everyone should know how to and can perform basic calisthenics movements and walk or run for an appropriate amount of time.
>That every single beginner fitness program should just be a basic calisthenics + walking or jogging program to build a basic foundation of fitness.
>Everything else is pointless athleticism that doesn't really help them in their day to day life.
Any good ways of progressing with chinups? I haven't really seen any besides muscle ups.

So where can I find the nazi routine?

FUCK WHY DID THE COMMIES HAVE TO KILL JFK

Look up convict conditioning(just google it) and look up building the gymnastic body.

The way to progress in chin ups is to one arm chinups.

I'm still stuck at two finger assisted chinups.
Can bang out sets of 20ish chinups at 6'3 with a bodyweight of 240 but goddamn I want to do that one arm chinup

archer pullups, one handed australian pullup. anything that puts more weight on one hand really. be creative