Rowing

Name a better sport than rowing

> Protip: You can't

> Also, ITT: General rowing thread

>starboard master race reporting in
>recovering lightweight reporting in

GOD I miss rowing with a closeknit crew

I'm also in the starboard master race, currently going for the lightweight selection at my university rowing club. I am currently in the last 16 lightweight guys (we started with ~100), really hope I make the final 10.

Where are you from?

I hope you make it, senpai

Hows the selection made?
Is it purely erg-times and corrected for weight?
If the weighing isn't close having to preform you could do something screwy with dydrating yourself etc

Holland (I row at LAGA)
they mostly look at how you perform in the boat. We currently train in C4+ boats, because we are all students that have begun rowing this year. They do record all your erg times, but I now know that those are not very important.
That is because at the last selection moment (last sunday, where we went from 24 guys to 16 guys), the 8 people that were done were all faster than me on the erg

Since I made the last 16 I also have to start the NKIR, which is an 2k indoor rowing race on the ergometer. Pretty anxious about my first 2k!

What's your
>erg times
>favourite boat
>rowing experience

>6.37 2k, twf ill never be part of the sub 6.30 club
>it is probably a tie between the 4- and 2-
>2 years
rowed with the firstyears heavies in a 8+, then stared a second year but wasnt big enough. Lightweights needed a guy, so I crashed 10kgs and rowed in a 4-. It was dope.

I miss it so much it hurts sometimes,
But then I remember I dont have to suffer through winter training and can eat what I want

My dad did Rowing for most of his young life
Now he has all kinds of problems, arthritis, fucked lower back and knees, he assumed its mainly from his trainers asking them to row in freezing cold water in winter

>erg times are not very good, never did any endurance training before starting with rowing (did do 1.5 years of powerlifting, so atleast I'm strong)
500m: 1:30.9
1k: 1:41 split
2k: still have to do it, aiming for 7:00

>Favourite boat
I only rowed in C4+, C2+, 8+ and 2x so far. Gotta say I love the 2x boat, though I find sculling to be very hard
> Rowing experience
about 4-5 months

rowing in my schools rec club this year and its awesome. That said practices are at 5:30 in the morning and winter season will be entirely indoors so idk if I wanna commit to that considering it wrecks my whole day usually haha

I thought LAGA was ducking swimming in cash.
You dont touch a 8+ the entire selection?

Anyways, I hope stepping into an eight for the first time is as orgasmic as it was for me

Haha you know LAGA? Where do you row?

rowed at Skoll

I wish we were swimming in fucking cash. During my installation this year I actually broke in at Skoll with some Lagaaiers and tried to steal your fancy wooden board with all the racerowers on it (some girls stopped us though :P).
But we have a pretty small fleet of about 65 boats, and your "bak" (the indoor water rowing thing) looked much fancier than the cheap things we have. I can say for sure that Skoll probably has much better material

yeah, our 'bak' is pretty envious realestate,
we got alot of room for boats i guess.. cause our frat is pretty big and then we have 2 loodsen at the bosbaan aswell
i just thought cause of the TU delft and all those contracters throwing money at the Damen regatta, some of it would trickle down to LAGA

maybe try stealing one of the bar-tables next time. theres one specifically for the heavies

My only experience rowing related is a sailing class for a summer in middle school. How do I get started on rowing? I live downtown, join a uni club?? Rowing looks fun.

I would suggest joining a uni club. Having a crew that is about the same age range as you is important in developing a strong bond. Be aware though, rowing is fucking addicting and can quickly take over your life

>rowing
>fun

>complaining about fitness on a fitness board
>not a coward

>Join a rowing club
>training involves a 10 minute warm-up, stretches, 40 minutes at rate 18, 20 minutes of "weights" when it's really just BW exercises and then 30 minutes of sprints between rate 18-30. Never sprint more than 1 minute
>Finish training session sweating but otherwise fine

>Join a water polo club
>Training involves a warm-up, stretches, 20 minutes of sprints which are doing 10 push-ups diving into the pool and swimming to the other other end and getting out. Repeat 3 times for push-ups, sit-ups, dips and star jumps. 30 minutes of cardio swimming involving swimming without using legs, arms and then treading water. Followed by 30 minutes of shooting/passing/defending practice and then a 30 minute game.
>Finish training session struggling for breath, multiple stitches and never wanting to go back

Water Polo > Rowing

>Not Playing Rugby
>The Perfect Balance, of Quick Thinking, Team Work, Athleticism, Physical and Mental Toughness.

It's like you aren't even trying

fucking pussies. wrestling is the finest sport their is, best physique, highest endurance, strongest p4p. the most intense sport, the oldest sport, the most aesthetic hands down. if you have not wrestled, it is basically sprinting for 6 minutes.
second is combat sports