Gym etiquette

I might join my local gym next month, and I'd like to ask you guys what practices are normal and which are not.

Give me a few tips pls. I've never been to a gym before.

The gym is much like church, when you great some one, instead of saying "peace be with you" you say "light weight baby", eye contact is a must

just do SS + GOMAD

Always tip the receptionist, a toonie is fine at first if you're a newbie but most dedicated gymbros will drop a five or so when they come in.

True. Never tip the owner of the gym though.

This! I can't tell you how awful the service is if you don't tip

>might
>next month
never going to make it

Tip the receptionist
I also tip the bathroom attendant but I notice it's more common not to, pretty mean if you ask me

Tipping the receptionist is a meme user, don't listen to them

Giving someone additional money for doing their job which is literally just standing around, scanning cards and preparing shakes

ALWAYS wipe off the machine when you are done.
Unless it's the rowing machine, there moisture is part of the experience

>might join my local gym next month

NO, you go right fucking now. don't worry about etiquette, just pick up after yourself and focus on doing your exercises with proper form

Always gasp "fuck" after finishing each set and yell at the top of your lungs while lifting. Trust me, they'll be mirin'

You fucking homosexual

>wanting spit on your weights

greet everyone you see with handshake
hold eye contact

make sure to tip the receptionist, scanning gym cards and putting folding towels is hard as fuck
>true gymbros tip atleast 20$, don't think of it as wasted money think of it as a sacrifice to the gains god

TIP YOUR RECEPTIONIST. this is a must do, dont be that dick who doesn't tip

make sure and leave your weights on the bar. The person after you will get an extra pump from putting them away, and a test boost from the rage.

>preparing shakes

they actually do this?

Only if you tip.

tip receptionists, rerack weights, and always ALWAYS ask for a spot no matter what exercise

put shit back where you found it is the number one thing

be aware of others who seem like they'd like to use the equipment you're using and briefly, offer to let them "work in" with you. don't ask twice.

don't smell like shit or BO. don't smell like anything, ideally.

At first I thought you guys were joking, but do you seriously tip the recepcionist?
I'm not in the USA but even taking in consideration the tipping culture there isn't that retarded? I mean, they are already paid in full by their boss, different from people that work in a restaurant.

>Might join next month
What you mean to say is will join tomorrow OP, otherwise you'll never make it

>pic related: how good you could look if you start now

I just started a month ago, but I guess one thing is to avoid hoping on a machine/rack without making sure someone isn't using it first.

people often walk around between sets or get water or something

I don't offer people to work in because my gym is mostly frequented by older people who don't understand the concept.

Re: Working in
Some places don't do this. Some places just wait until a person is finished with equipment and use it after them. Observe your gym's culture first to see if it operates under a "work in" policy or not.

We actually did this back in the gym I went to in college, it was a small ass gym, and we mostly all knew each other. Whenever someone had a heavy set they would say light weight baby, and anyone who heard it would shout yeah baby, sometimes it would turn into a real yeah baby fest.

this sounds nice

>ALWAYS ask for a spot no matter what exercise
Is this true? I don't want to talk to anyone at gym I just want to lift do I really need a spot for everything?

In mine we would echo OH YEAH because of these protein bars on the register counter

That shit was, it was a 70's gym that just stayed like that into the 90s, it was run by an old body builder, and really had a competitive side to it. Memberships were really cheap, but only a limited number of members would be signed each year. It as mostly invites by older members, so it only had guys that were really serious about lifting, you had to name you shakes and shit in the fridge because guess what everybody has chocolate iso, and a lot of people had the same damn shakers. There was always at least half a dozen guys actively competing. Even had a little ass injury treatment room which was basically a doctor's bed with disinfectant for when the boys wanted to inject creatine. Never have I ever been to a gym as good, it closed down after the old body builder died and his kid sold it.

Don't wear pussy gloves, donate your callus to the bar, lifting straps are cool but those gay finger less gloves is a no.

>don't drop your deads

Not always. I only tip if they make an extra effort to make me smile

Tipping the receptionist is a must. If you don't, you're a fucking faggot. Make sure you grunt and yell a lot when you curl. Only during curls. Make sure you make and hold eye contact with the other guys in the gym, and if they lift something heavy, give them a slap on the ads and tell them good job. Positive encouragement is a vital part of the gym. Also, women go to the gym to be stared at. If a woman is lifting weights, it's considered rude to not stare directly at her the ENTIRE time she lifts. This is the most important part of any gym.

always sniff the seats after female use

Enjoy your snapped shit

case to case basis i guess

Can't I just use a power rack or whatever?

absolutely not. use your judgement. generally you shouldn't need a spot because you're lifting responsibly, but if you want to really test yourself it's mandatory to politely find a spot.

Dont listen to this nigger, gomad is a waste of money that can otherwise be spent on shit that actually accomplishes something it sets out to do like proton powder or creatine

It may be perfectly legit to sit on an unused bench nearby the rack you want to use while you wait for it to free up, but it's still awkward as fuck. Everyone knows what you want and is aware you're sitting there doing nothing until you get it. Just nut up and alleviate the awkwardness by saying "hey bro, can I get on then when you're done with your sets?" Or something like that.

Always curl in the squat rack

t. lactose intolerant nigger

No. Some guy who isn't even really paying attention to your lifts who has never given a spot before is significantly more reliable to keep 225 pounds off your chest than pieces of metal that are fixed in place

Don't superset. Ever. Just. Don't.
Don't talk to people in the middle of a set.
Try to stay at least 4 feet away from someone in the middle of a set. More if they are doing dynamic movements. It's just a safety thing.
Don't drop your weights if you can.
Re rack your weights.
Wide down benches and machines when you are done.
If you think some is doing a circuit/ supersetting. Ask them, it avoids awkward moments of "bro I'm still using that."

I don't get it. Why do boomers not understand working in?

When reracking weights, keep the 20KGs in their own stack, 10s and 5s in their own and 2.5s and 1.25s in another. There is nothing worse than needing a 2.5kg plate buried underneath 5 20KG plates. When someone is dumbbell bench pressing next to you and going heavy, give them the courtesy of not placing your bench within 1.2m of his arms. Benching heavy dumbbells means that they will need to be dropped such makes your close distance unsafe. If you're using equipment but need to leave to take a piss/get a drink, leave your towel over the barbell/bench.
Protip, i also carry around a clipboard where it can track my lifts and weights. Don't superset more than two machines. Also don't waste time with cable cross overs. No need to take breaks longer than a minute on machines. Don't drop weights, especially machines as it ruins the equipment

I would LOVE to train in such a gym.

>put shit back where you found it is the number one thing

No - put it back where it's *supposed* to be.

If some fucktard left plates on the floor, or dumbbells in the wrong rack, and you use them, don't you put them back wrong too. Set a good example and put them back properly when you're done.

DO tip your receptionist.
DO NOT chat up cardio bunnies.
DO do OHP in the squat rack.
DO NOT curl in the squat rack.
DO use correct form.
DO NOT snap your shit up.

>put bench in centerr of the gym
>step on it, holding a 10lbs dumbell in each hand
>yell "LIGHTWEIGHT BABY" with every curl

not everyone tips the receptionist but it's a way to show appreciation. kinda like how you tip your barber or plumber, it builds rapport

>YEAAAH BUDDY

>DO do OHP in the squat rack.
seriously where the fuck else do you people ohp? or do you just clean the bar off the floor?

t. manlet

I do it on the incline bench.