/run/ running general

I want to do more ultra marathons (possibly in the mountains as well).
What weightlifting exercises would you recommend to do?
I'm globally weak.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hia4yR5j1xw
halhigdon.com/training/
c25k.com/
ultramarathonrunning.com/training/
strava.com/features
strava.com/clubs/fitizens
helpfulrunner.com/tools/running-training-pace-calculator.php
runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/
archive.is/VGoxG
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=MZWXPrfjkWg
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE
youtube.com/watch?v=s2AWw9oJi_A
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196
mensrunninguk.co.uk/top-feature/push-through-the-pain/
runningwritings.com/2013/02/injury-series-plantar-fasciitis-in.html
halhigdon.com/training/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ayy , if you want to do ultra just run more & more & more , learn to love being alone & running slow .
Just use the gay leg machine & do some band stability exercise , no reason to squat at all .

I do run already and have done one ultra. Just dont want to look completely skeleton-like and lift some weight.

I'm getting over some Achilles tendonitis, which took me out for about a month - I don't get any pain while running anymore, but pressing my finger into where the tendon inserts on my heel still hurts like crazy. Should I be worried?

I'm lucky to never have experienced injuries but for the people around me who do I know that they all would have been better waiting.
It's an endless cycle of injured->starting strong again->injured

Is that Johnny candito?

I know what you're saying, but I can't help myself. I'm doing pretty short distances for now, so I think I'll keep running and see how it goes - I just posted wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar and ended up actually rupturing their tendon.

>I'm lucky to never have experienced injuries
Have you noticed any significant differences in how you train vs. the people you know who get injured?

is there something like a guide to running shoes?

My first 5K from last night. Plan on slowly increasing from 5K to 10K.

One thing I'm concerned about is my heartrate. Assuming that's accurate, isn't that rather low (157bpm) considering I'm 21? I'm wondering if I'm not pushing myself hard enough when I run.

Its fine for a moderate run, calm ur tits.

What are you running in Veeky Forums? I just got a pair of Brooks Ghost 10s with powerstep pulse insoles after getting fitted at the local store. They're cushy as fuck in a good way.

Tbh I'd reccomend you stick with bodyweight exercises. Squats, pull-ups, leg raises, push-ups, rows, hip thrusts, calf raises, and planks. Do those and you'll get a decent body, and it shouldn't impede your running. Vary the intensity and the rep range, for example: alternate doing 5x5 as explosively as possible (almost plyometric) with 5x5 as slow as possible and have another day where you bust out as many reps as you possibly can (while still remaining consistent) like 4x20 or something

That's really slow

I've only been running for about a month after doing basically no cardio for the last 10 years

>shin splints
>have to walk to class

Fuck shin splints. Is it possible to beat them? I took 3 weeks off and worked with a PT after mine got bad, now they're better but still come back after longer runs

I honestly dont have them, i enjoy the satisfaction i get from the pain
>inb4 tips bedora

*hate them

Youre probably confusing sore muscles with shin splints. Bad shin splints render you completely unable to run and even walk sometimes.

A big part of running is sucking up the pain in your muscles, but also learning to distinguish between that and the kind of pain that leads to injuries...

no man i realise what shin splints are, i know it hurts. I completely realise i cant run and i almost fell while walking to the toilet, it hurts but i find instant gratification for my workout because i can feel the pain and i know im moving close to my goal

I guess if your goal is a stress fracture and permanent damage, sure.. Though I doubt youve had BAD shin splints if you can still run.

yeah cunt i just said i couldnt run, and im going to rest and recover until i can run again

La Sportiva make great trail running shoes. I use these for hiking in too. This model is the Mutant.

Running a mountain with my buddy in a week and half.

heavy smoker never did cardio did 12 km in 55 minutes, you fatty get a grip and run until you cant move your leg up

I'm not fat, I'm 205cm 70kg. Dumb Americunt

I went to the running warehouse. They put me on a treadmill for about 2 minutes with tons of cameras. Took them about 2 more minutes to tell me what kind of an arch I needed in a shoe. Then had me run in different sizes until we got the exact right size. It was the easiest thing in the world, and after I started running in those shoes, my knee, ankle, and hip pain all went away. I think other sporting goods stores provide this service as well. Mine was free, since they knew I would be buying shoes from them. I have extremely flat feet, and even have custom inserts for my other shoes. I cannot recommend going this route enough. It changed my life, and I even ran a mountain marathon with no unusual pains or repercussions.

I quit weightlifting when I was training for my mountain ultra. I really wish I had spent more time in the gym. It takes way too long to build leg strength from just running, IMO. I also found that my core would get tired pretty quick. But, it seems like the best runners are skeleton women, so maybe muscle isn't the way to go.

I've had them a few times. When it happens, I completely quit running for a while. Not worth making it worse.

No you didn't

How long usually do you take off?

They're tibialis anterior overuse. You might be able to deal with it through massage.

youtube.com/watch?v=hia4yR5j1xw

You might want to change your running form to mid-foot or forefoot striking to let the big muscles on the back of your leg take the bulk of the landing.

Until about a week after the pain is totally gone. Once I got better shoes, developed better habits, lost some weight, I no longer suffer from shin splints. Although I would strongly recommend talking to a doctor about it, rather than taking my advice.

I've been to a doctor, went through a few weeks of physical therapy to strengthen the lower leg/ankle. I altered my stride too so now I toe strike instead of heel. All told I had about 3 weeks off from running. Went to a running store to get proper shoes too. The pain was gone completely until I started running again, now it's way less severe but still painful after long runs

Well, my only other advice would be to get more calcium in your diet. I don't know if it helps or not, but I drink a lot of milk because I've heard my whole life that more calcium = better bones. Who knows though. It seems like it was a years long journey to get to the point I'm at now, where I can run long distance and not have pain. It's never easy.

Focus on single leg variations with low weight, high reps. E.g.:
>shrimp squats 50lbs 4x15, 1xF
>single leg deadlift: see shrimp squats
>single leg planks: 4x30sec, 1x1-2minutes
>single leg bridges: see squats
I think you get the point.

> no reason to squat at all .
How does I stability, running economy, and injury prevention?

If the OPs started posting the copypasta OP, you would have your answer. I'll post it here in a sec after posting this reply.

You are right. For a 5k, you should be able to push yourself harder. You might want to start doing intervals and tempos to learn how to push yourself.

Ignore the troll. They estat but never post proof.

I wish I could find the article that mentioned that the longer the distance, there were a significant less ratio of DNF for females.

And for anyone starting a run thread, start posting this:

/run/ General (question containment goes here)

>Training Plans
halhigdon.com/training/
c25k.com/
ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

>Strava
strava.com/features

>Sharing on Strava with the /fitizens/
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

>Pace Calculator
helpfulrunner.com/tools/running-training-pace-calculator.php

>Stretches
runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners

>running injuries and how to treat them
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/

>How to Buy the Right Running Shoes
archive.is/VGoxG

>buy good shoes
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=MZWXPrfjkWg

>running form
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE

>tense arms and neck
youtube.com/watch?v=s2AWw9oJi_A

>Sprint Training Advice
>A number of current and former professionals and coaches have posted in this thread. Read it thoroughly.
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

>pain
mensrunninguk.co.uk/top-feature/push-through-the-pain/

You need plenty of Vitamin D too since it facilitates calcium absorption.

currently in Asics Cumulus with metatarsal pads, dey aite

gonna try some more stability oriented shoes with a lower heel/toe drop
>hokas because lol I got memed on
>nb vazee prism bc wide lasts and on sale

>Plantar fasciitis
Bros, what do? Can barely run with this shit.

gonna shill john davis' blog some more: runningwritings.com/2013/02/injury-series-plantar-fasciitis-in.html

might be something new to you in there, might not, who knows.

Glad to see this thread, I want to run an ultra some day. What race did you do?
When I started really caring about running I bought a trap or hex bar and started doing farmer carries. The farmer carries brought me here from /out/ and now I'm doing bench press and calisthenics too.

Yeah, read a book called "Born to Run"

Thanks (I'm the slow 5K). Do you think I should work on improving my 5K before bridging onto 10K?

Just noticed this lads. Haven't been running very long actually

What did they mean by this?

after 4 months of running, I'm sub 25min for 5km. Next goal is sub 50min for 10km and or sub 22min 5km.

that first training plan link don't work senpai

The flesh is weak

>halhigdon.com/training/

Just ordered "new" shoes off of eBay. Curious if my feet will rot off, but I bet anything will beat my 5+ year old pair

No. Infact, you can improve your 5k time by doing more distance. Volume is a very important variable in getting faster.

Not OP, but I did a really hard race in WV called Highland Sky 40m as my first ultra. My second one was the Mohican 100m (I did the 50m option). Third was an easy course in Maryland called Frozen Heart 50k. I haven't done any ultras over a year since I wanted to improve my marathon time.

Doing single leg variations to standard exercises will do wonders. Try shrimp squats and single leg deadlifts with around 20-50lbs and high reps. You'll notice a major change in your stability, fatigue and soreness in about a month. Keep doing bench presses.

>GOTTA GO FAST!!!

Get out of here ferrus manus

Is there a worthwhile running watch for under $50? I've got a secret Santa coming up and figured I'd ask for one.

god I fucking love running on an off day
the soul crushing pain of lifting weights just contrast with a light jog and the cold wind mixing with the sun on your skin

>running
how about spending your time doing something productive

>light jog

Doing it wrong, you are supposed to be absolutely exhausted and want to die at the end of your run.

redpill me on long slow distance. im trying to get my half marathon time down to under 1.30, did 1.34.30 a month ago. ive been averaging between 40-50 km a week, but im considering working my way up to 70-80 over the winter, by adding more slow distance runs, maybe skipping an interval or tempo session every now and then. but it just feels wrong to go slow and not be worn out at the end of a run.

just do what cameron hanes does, whatever it is.
I guess he is what you are want to look/be like.

epic meme

not the guy you quoted but why?
Iam always gassed out after ny 5-6km runs, I do try to increase my speed instead of my distance.
I run 3-4x per week, is that retarded?

you arent pushing yourself hard enough

heartrate for a 5k should peak at around 185-190

there's nothing wrong with what you're doing, but it's a meme that everyone needs to run all out. if the guy likes doing a light jog for enjoyment then there's nothing wrong with that

>do ultra
>more people are impressed
>get hired for laborous work due to this
>do not get winded like all my other co-workers because more endurance work
>the only person in all co-workers without knee or back issues
>"b...b...but muh mass and aesethics!!"
Whatever you say.

Do not skip your speed drills. If you want to add more volume, consider running in the morning and evening. With the mileage you are doing, you should consider running a marathon.

Each workout has a purpose. The pace you run develops different aspects of running. Long, slow runs develop your aerobic threshold, tempo runs develop your lactate threshold, intervals develop vo2max and strength, recovery pace helps you heal while adding volume. It's why going fast all thr time is idiotic. Kinesthologists have not studied this shit since forever just for dumbasses to ignore it.

Heart rate is individual. He needs a max test done to determine it. The old 220-age has been shown to be a poor measure that is still spread around and should have went the way of the dinosaurs. As an example, my max is 170 for a 30 year old.

How is yours so low? I am 27 and when I run a 5k I get up to 180-185

Learn your geography then, faggot.

its just that my autism forbids me to run a marathon until ive managed a 1.30 half

Beats me. I've had my heart checked before and there were no issues. It has not affected my performance. The only annoyance is manually calculating and inputting these heart rates into Golden Cheetah.

Why? Training for the marathon and running one will help your half performance.

Ran without earbuds today and I was shocked at how loud I'm landing. I've made efforts to try to stop heel striking but I think I'm still doing it. I plan on going to get shoes at a real running store where they record you running and I'll ask for some pointers on fixing my gait

Just get some minimalist shoes. It will force you to use proper form or you will be in a world of pain.

yeah I'm running in Brooks Ghost 10s which I think have a lot of cushioning, I'll look into those thanks

Whats a good source of training routines for someone who mainly just fucks about with running but can easily run 5km?

I wanna get into ultra running, or at least longer distances than 10k, the idea of getting up early in the morning to run an easy 20km sounds lit

by the way I run on asphalt, does that make a difference in terms of what minimalist shoe I look at? Currently looking at Saucony Kinvara

It shouldn't. I use the Vibram Fivememes shoes (winter) and sandles (other seasons) which does not seem to make any difference based upon surface. You might want to take time to read about minimalist running before embarking on using it for running form. The other user did not mention that there should be a transitional period, as it will also work your calves hard.

Any advice?

Probably not if they're a serious runner. The most economical option that will get you all of the features you'll want is going to be a refurbished Garmin or other big name brand. I think you could get a refurbished Garmin 230 + heart rate monitor for under $175 if you shop around. That would get you (accurate) heart rate monitoring, cadence, GPS and GLONASS, etc. That's good enough for very competitive runners. But below that price point most of the watches are crap and intended for moms who want to track steps instead of get better at running.

I don't see the point in spending less if you have a smart phone. With a heart rate monitor ($40) your phone can track everything you need.

It costs $0 to build the habit of paying attention to your body and effort level and knowing how to do that will make you a better runner than a watch. I do love my watch but it really isn't necessary unless you're trying to do interval workouts but don't have a track or loop that you know the distance of, or you're a really strong runner who needs all that data.

I just don't like bringing my phone with me while I run and I need something that will tell me my pace.
I'm fine at running, but I'm atrocious at knowing my speed.

No. If you want anything worthwhile, prepare to pay. The cheapest yet works halfway decent is the Garmin Forerunner 10 and 15. Even then, they are only decent. If you are insistent, do it the old fashion way: calculate yourself with a stopwatch.

I had this happen to me. Got shin splints, eventually stopped running entirely, started running again a while later but there was still a little pain. I just took things slow and it all worked out fine. You need to realize that your legs will have to adapt to running, and it will take a while.

Don't run if it hurts. When you do run, run less than you feel like you could. Pay more attention to your form than anything else. Ramp things up slowly, good luck.

I think you should do lunges and sprints.

Consider some proper insoles to correct your horrific supination.

It could be that I've been running on treadmills a lot recently ('tis the season)

Neutral master race reporting in.

Have you been keeping up on plantar muscle strength and recovery? If not, better get a lacrosse ball and get rolling.

Tired/weak plantar muscles are a possible cause of shin splints and other muscular maladies you may be experiencing.

I ran a 21:11 min 5k about a month ago. I haven't trained for 1 1/2 weeks, partly because I've been sick this last week. How slow will I be coming back?

Anyone's running on keto? How is it?

>tfw irregular heartbeat

you'll probably feel pretty normal in a few days. In my experience, you don't lose much in a week
most ultra guys I know just kind of set a MPW that they want and just do long runs when they can fit them in. The only pro ultra runner I know has a long slower day, 1-2 climbing focused days, and the rest on more reasonable distances, with a goal pace he sets based on his next race.
In terms of building up, I would suggest just doing longer and longer runs for most of the week, and maybe a couple shorter days with pace in mind.
If your foot strikes are loud you should probably fix your gate, but some amount of heel striking is normal, don't mess with your gate so much you get injured.
It is pretty standard to do at least one long run a week, which is maybe 20% of your milage for the week. You shouldn't be jogging, but especially for that kind of distance you need the milage. You shouldn't be doing more than 2 or maybe 3 hard workouts a week, so you shouldn't have to sacrifice one to make a long day. Also, you shouldn't feel like 70-80 KmPW is too much, I'm a 5k/10k guy, and do 70 MPW.
Assuming that was a hard effort, yes your heart rate is low. Do you have a graph? In a race, HR should be increasing for most of it, even if not very much. Your cadence is also low, you should increase your turnover, even if it means shorter strides.

I supine and have high arch , truly the feet of the just fuck my shit up race

why would you want to destroy the fuck out of your body?

I fucking love my xero shoes. Ran 2 marathons in them. Learning to run 'barefoot' is the gift that keeps on giving.

Just like most people can't squat with proper form, most people can't run with proper form. Should be something natural and easy, has been made totally impossible by a modern lifestyle.

Pain is an acquired taste.

>destroy the fuck out of your body
[citation needed]

I've been doing to couch to 5k for a few weeks. I'm done with week 4 and I'm going to start week 5 this sunday. I'm looking to add 2 cross fit days to replace 4 rest days during the week. Is this a good idea?

My week would look like this.
>sunday: run
>monday: cross
>tuesday: run
>wednesday: rest
>thursday: run
>friday: cross
>saturday: rest

Or is it essential to have 4 rest days when starting to run?

Learn to listen to your body.

>sub 22min 5km

holy shit doing 5k in 22 minutes is running on average +-13.5 km/h. That's almost my sprint speed. Are you sure it's possible?

running ultras doesn't make you a skeleton, I'd say makes the opposite, you need tons of fiber

I have shin splints since I was 18 and the only moment it was bearable was when I was in the army, I think it had to do with being stand up all day and running to every fucking place, now I work sitting and is bad like always, drowned in clonazepam and ice

My body tells me to not have any rest days. I used to be a good runner in middle school so the training is pretty easy. But I don't want to skip a week/rush the program and end up injured.
I guess I'll just do it and if it gets to hard I'll reduce it to one cross day or none. Thanks.