Just curious to see how many people who are over 30 here? If there are any...

Just curious to see how many people who are over 30 here? If there are any, how long have you been lifting for and posting here? Me? 34, lifting since 22, been posting here since ’09

43, been lifting in various states of seriousness for 23 years.

Lurking Veeky Forums about 5 years, started on /k/

now I /k/ /out/ Veeky Forums

Did you notice a drop off at any point? Is it harder to make gains at your age?

Yes, it gets harder as you get older. Also, it is unavoidable that you are going to get injured at some point. That set me back more than anything. Had a bad wrist fracture with surgery that took me almost a year to recover from. Shit like that hurts more than age.

Mostly, I just can't recover like I did 20 years ago. You have to rest a lot more.

I would say you start to feel it most probably mid 30s, 35 or so.

Have you started TRT? I’m OP and have definately started to notice more nagging injuries (off and on dealing with tendinitis in my elbow and wrists).

37 here
DYELifting on and off since I was 16.
At 29 got serious, and spent 2-3 years learning to lift properly.
I'm my natty potential from lifting alone, so now I'm trying to learn diet to see if I can take myself to the next level.
PL is my main focus, and lots of guys keep getting stronger through their 40s.
I also run/bike/swim for conditioning.

33. Lifted seriously from 2002 to 2006, then only half assing it since.

Been on Veeky Forums since 2005 and on Veeky Forums since around May 2015.

>Is it harder to make gains at your age?
While this wasn't directed at me, I agree with the other user. I'm only 33 but 33 is around the age when you realize you aren't 20 anymore. When I was 20, I overtrained like a motherfucker but I loved every minute of it. I'd do high volume workouts lasting up to 2 hours a day, five days a week. Plus cardio. During the summer, I'd do extra cardio on top of it. At one point, I was literally exercising six hours a day plus working as a landscaper on my summer break from university. And I loved it! I was like "Hey, bring it on. I'm begging the world for a challenge."

Yeah. That's not me anymore. I have to rest way longer to recover. I just don't have the energy I used to and my knees started hurting around 28. Now my right hip and back hurt as well. I wish I hadn't fallen for the "You MUST SQUAT HEAVY" meme. I was just thinking about that this morning when I woke up and got out of bed with pain in various places.

No I haven't messed with any testosterone levels. Although I should get my hormone levels checked. I think most guys go for around 100mg of TRT, which doesn't sound too complicated.

I eat extremely clean, which I think you need more at my age. I went mostly organic meat/veg a few years back and grow some of my own, I'm not sure if its a mental thing or true science, but it seemed to help.

I probably will get my hormone levels checked now tho, it's a good idea to check on your test/est levels and make sure they aren't fucked up and make any TRT other changes I may need.

I only have about 75% use of my right wrist now, i just work around it best I can, but shit like that does nag you, but that's life

18 but you know what will be really weird, if you found out your son browsed Veeky Forums, like do you tell him you also browse it?

48, lifting since 15, posting off and on since 2004

How much did you squat?

31. Lifted for strength while in the Army, but got out 4 years ago and other than fucking around with SL for a bit after I got out I wasn't lifting until recently. Now I'm working on recovering my old conditioning and then working on bodybuilding.

Not the modern "take all the drugs and look like a shaved bear" kind of bodybuilding but the golden age aesthetics kind.

Found my dead browsing ED once, so it's possible desu

32 and lifitng since 18 or so.

Probably stronger than anyone on \fit\
Haven't noticed a drop in T but it does take longer to recover from things. Instead I use all the knowledge I've gained from decades of lifting to improve.

I do wish I could go back to my younger self and tell him all the things I know now

41 been lifting since 25. Now /fraud/

>Haven't noticed a drop in T but it does take longer to recover from things.
I'm the user who is just a year younger than you and I'm in the same boat. I'm afraid that without going to /fraud/ I won't be able to lift to the level I want to, but then again, even an old body adapts so I may be able to build up the volume of work I can manage.

>I do wish I could go back to my younger self and tell him all the things I know now
I think we all do. If I could condense everything I know and teach my junior high age self it'd probably be the best thing ever.

>probably stronger than anyone on fit

citation needed

Im 19 , please give advice , started training at 14

I use alot of T boosting behavior to increase T. I try to only use glass containers to store food or nonplastics to drink from whenever possible. I try to only eat meats I catch or kill myself + zinc supplements, eat oyseters/sardines weekly, get enough sunshine etc. I think it really is additive but I have considered roiding when I hit 40 or 50 and have nothing else to look forward to.

Stats btw:
6'4" 242 right now
DL-575 for reps
SQ-500 for reps
BP-335 for reps

If you've completed your progression training and activating all your noob gains you need to tailor your lifts for your goals.

Play sports? Oly Lifts will help give you explosiveness and lower body strength (which all athletes need).

Powerlifters will continue programs similar to SS and add supplementary lifts for lifts they need extra work on. Some use equipment I'm not familiar with.

Bodybuilding is a lot of hypertrophy work, but don't expect to look like anyone in the magazines without roids.

Creatine and whey are all you really should need, but BCAAs aren't a bad choice. Supplement zinc for test boosts and an immune system boost. Caffeine interferes with creatine absorption so if you're using one ditch the other.

If you're into endurance sports your diet will be more carb based than protein. Caffeine is good for endurance but get it from tablets not drinks for maximum benefit.

If you're joining the military your main focus should be long walks (called "ruck marches") with a 30-40lbs pack on (start with a short distance and slowly build up in stages) while working on push-ups, sit-ups, runs (train mainly using intervals with a distance run every week at a fixed pace. Always run for time, but track distance to see how much progress you're making), and pull ups (even if you're not a Marine it's worth being able to do pull ups).

Oly lifts can also help the perspective service member because again, explosiveness.

Learn to calculate your TDEE and cut 500 calories from that number if you're trying to lose weight, add 500 if you're full skelly and need to add weight, or leave it alone if you're maintaining. Don't trust labels for objective calorie information though as they can be off by as much as 20%. Learn to measure and cook using whole foods as you can control calories better that way.

And use macros to determine where said calories come from. Keep them varied so your micro-nutrients stay balanced.

Log all of your workouts.

Obsessively working on one thing forever brings diminishing returns. Take a look at yourself every few months and decide what you need to work on and change your focus. Obsessively trying to bring one lift up only brings injury intime. Last year I worked hard on pullups/dips until I was doing weighted dips (+45) for 10 sets of 10 each then started to get neck and shoulder problems from working too hard on that so I switched to focusing on something else for a few months.

This is true for everything I've trained. Don't get tunnel vision on one thing for too long.

I have mostly been adding to my decent T levels with zinc, black pepper and sea food. I haven't committed to roiding, but damn is it tempting at times to start to make up for all the lost time.

This guy has good advice.

and also there is no such thing as lifting too hard.

In my mind there are three keys to success:
Intensity
Frequency/Recovery

in that order

This. Rotate your training focus and don't fall into the trap of only using one lift to get your goals. Sometimes changing how you lift a weight to target a muscle can help break a plateau.

On a similar note, if you have gas left in the tank at the end of your sets, you need to up the weight. If you don't progressively add weight you'll stall regardless what your goals are.

Thanks user for the (you). I've been tempted for a while to lay out some stuff so that was a good excuse to share what I know.

To continue:

Free weights trump machines. Free weights can engage stabilizing muscles which make it possible for you to both lift more weight in everyday life, but lift it more safely.

If you can't afford a gym membership or weight set consider filling bags with sand. The shifting weight will work your stabilizers more as you use it to fill in for your free weights, it's dirt cheap (no pun intended) and easy to adjust how heavy it is by adding or removing sand.

Try to get 8 hours a night of sleep. This will help your recover, energy levels and mood.

If you feel thirsty and/or have dry mouth you need to drink more water. Try to drink periodically through the day. You don't need to try for any strict goals, but your pee should be clear or a light straw color (assuming you don't eat/drink anything that colors it).

If you get shaky or lightheaded you may need more salt in your daily diet. As a heavy sweater this is one of the things I have to watch for so if it sounds like you, salt your food. Always use salt with iodine as most people need more iodine in their diet anyways.

I am still against roiding ATM because I am already tall and big enough that it's offputting to many normal people I interact with. If I were to roid it would make it impossible for me to deal with most people. If you don't have that problem and you can afford it and you're not getting anywhere quickly enough then go ahead. YOLO

I will also say I ride my bike to work most days about 15min each way and that high intensity cardio pump has seemed to boost test in addition to lifting. Think about something like that as a cheaper alternative.

>Probably stronger than anyone on \fit\
Excuse me?

I'm sure he's not on \Fit\ right now.
i would never

I work retail, so scaring normies would be fine with me.

I've actually pretty good about regulating my mood and how I react to things but I rate more on the "cold and rational" side of things when it comes to decision making thanks to my time in the Army.

It's winter and with it comes snow in my area so riding a bike up the steep ass hill to the gym doesn't sound all that productive. Instead I turn my 2 mile distance to the gym into light cardio by walking. Though once the snow starts to pile up it'll probably turn into heavy cardio.

Good thing I'm on a cut then.

I'm the embodiment of "cold and rational" and that's the problem. People always ask if I was in the military when I never was. If you are too physically intimidating most everyone will shy away from you whether you like it or not. Keep that in mind.

Anyways I'm going to bed for that full 8 hours of sleep. I hope something here helped someone.

older lads: what's it like having a wife and kids?

I'm sociable when I'm working but that turns off once I punch off and leave. I'm one of those introvert fucks who burns out when they spend too much time dealing with people so having a little less people isn't too bad.

No idea. Single and not really looking.

Fuck. I thought I was a freak for getting no gains. Only started lifting at 32 and was always confused why nothing matched Veeky Forumss bragging. I get injured roughly once a year.
I'm glad to hear im my lifting experience is pretty normal if horribly under performing.

I'm in my 40s, I've been posting on Veeky Forums since about 2006, but I never hung out on Veeky Forums until this year. I don't really lift, but I am fit as hell through cycling. I've been working a little bit on strength but I'm not very interested in having big muscles.

You may still be in your noob gains if you just started lifting recently. Get on a progression based program to help get your noob gains out of the way and then move on to something else. Most progression programs only last 6-12 months (tops) and then you're onto bro splits or whatever you're training for.

Even if you lift a lot, you're not going to just get big muscles overnight. If you were into weight training it's pretty easy to judge when you're reaching your goals and move onto maintenance from progression to keep your ideal body.

That said since you do an endurance sport (cycling), you're not going to benefit as much from weight based training due to the aerobic endurance nature of the sport.

hit 30.
Used to be full Veeky Forumsaround 20-22, never eat enough to build mass but i built great strengh, could squat 5 series of 8 reps of 150 kgs.
then at 24 lost my job and my house, literally became homeless. had a lot of p eople that cared so barely hit the road, but obviously staying swole wasnt the priority.
Got fa6t(like, really fat), and trying to get my body in shape again but man, its hard.
Not because of muh fat(after a while the movement become part of you again)but because I can feel the age.
At 20 i overworked almost every day, goin to bed at 23 just to get up at 5 am just to run a few miles. I cant even get close to that right now, I need a lot more rest and it seems its never enough.
My reaction times have lowered and I can even see it in vidya or simply when taking the bike for a ride. Also have to be extra careful with anything involving the back because it aches even when it feels Im doing everything correctly.
Aging sucks, but cest la vie I guess.

>tfw when 26 turning 27 but feel like in 30's

It seriously scares me what I will look and feel like in my 30's. How will my body change and what can I do to prevent this?

I am really worried about my skin turning to shit, hair fully balding and my ability to gain muscle and lose fat being really wrecked.

I hear people say in their 30's they seriously feel fatigued much easier and have more difficulty doing things.

Please give your stories of experiences elders of Veeky Forums.

>You MUST SQUAT HEAVY

I know the feel user.

I wish I hadn't fallen for the 'You MUST LIFT EVERYTHING HEAVY" meme. It's a recipe for some kind of injury and nearly guarantee to snap city something on your body; It's only a matter of when will the snap happen.

I don't wanna age bros.....I dread this. Whatever looks fade and shit, but don't take away my good weightlifting!

Yeah I have nothing against squat. I believe when done right, it is a great exercise and is great for leg strength and hypertrophy. But unless you are doing a sport or something that relies on leg strength for your job, leg presses and other leg accessory exercises like db walking lunges are fine for normal leg growth. Not as tough as squats(though heavy walking lunges can take it out of you), so if you enjoy the satisfaction after completing heavy squats, go ahead, but it gets the job done. After having some lower back strain from squats, I've been doing leg press and walking lunges for my leg work for like the last 1-2 months and I've noticed definite difference in my quads, at least in feeling. You can still load up leg press heavy and as long as you don't lockout, it's fine for development. I will say though, I went from doing like 3-4 sets of 4-6 reps squats and like 10-12 reps accessory and am now doing more sets of 6-10 with leg press and lunges so that could be a factor as overall it is more volume.

I am 27 with a wife.

She basically ensures I preform at my best by making sure I get enough sleep, food, packing my work papers, preparing my suites and clothes.

She does not work but takes care of everything else. I am able to consult with her about work protects I am tasked with to provide a different perspective and opinion. (I am a construction QS and PM.)

I also do night courses on a graduate course in management and she ensures my work space is always perfect to do work when I get home and I am prepared for my courses.

Make sure you get a wife who is the kind who will help you preform at your best. You will wake up every day full of energy, not wasting time and will advance in your life like a race car.

You don't want some woman who wants to work a half ass career and will not help you.

[spoiler]Shes 3 years older then me and a Chinese with 3 masters degrees[/spoiler]

>what can I do to prevent this?
eat healthy
like, more than before. Expecially if you live in the US, food regulations there are pretty shit, so go full bio/organic, contact local farmes and shit and get the best you can find.
Lower the weights, because you will just get injured. After 30 you can safely say your prime has passed and you should focus on not getting hurt.
Ignore balding, if it bugs you just shave your head before hand. Its more comfortable anyway, and there are no real methods to stop balding from happening anyway.
You will have to rets more. Just follow your body on that and don't overdo it. Your 20's body can, your 30's body wont.
Most of all, getting old is a natural part of things. Accept it and enjoy what you can get.

> there are no real methods to stop balding from happening anyway.

What about hair transplants? I heard this is the best method possible.

Also, any suggestions on skin care? Does it really matter as you age as a man?

When you age is it harder to stay in decent shape?
Does your body just stay fat and not gain muscle anymore?
How do people value a person in their 30's? Is it all about your wealth, career and achievements?
Compare this to 20's where it's all about who can have the most fun, be most popular and look the most beautiful.

>What about hair transplants? I heard this is the best method possible.
Just Don't, its expensive, its retarded. It will happen, just get over it.
>Also, any suggestions on skin care? Does it really matter as you age as a man?
Not really. unless you have a particulary sensitive skin or pre-existent conditions, just shower often, use good products and you'll be fine.
>When you age is it harder to stay in decent shape?
Of course. it becomes more about mainting than improving.
>Does your body just stay fat and not gain muscle anymore?
No, but it gets progressively harder to gain muscle.
>How do people value a person in their 30's? Is it all about your wealth, career and achievements?
Depend what people do you usually spend time with. If you go by the normie way, yeah, mostly. 20's values still apply, just lighter.

I'm 40.
I'm horribly depressed and completely incapable of interacting with other human beings.
How are you doing today fellow human beings...and very advanced posting robots.

Don't have kids, hapa production should be criminalized.

>hapa production

Of all the hapa's I have met in Australia, I can only think of 1 which stood out an some autisic weirdo. All the others were big normies, Chads or 10/10 Stacies.

I think the hapa worries are over exaggerated and are likely the result of hyperbeta men who don't care about raising their children.

I'm 43 year old guy from fpbp, just had a 20 year anniversary. Have 2 kids.

I was 27 when I had my first kid. I was still pretty young and dumb myself. I was scared shitless, and had no idea what to do. 16 years later it is very rewarding. The kids are doing well in school, sports, have gfs, seem well-adjusted. They apparently stay away from enough /b/ /r9k/ /pol/ to not look themselves in a room all day and brood over "normies".

But unironically, fatherhood, if done well is rewarding. Their will be moments you hang your head in shame sonimadissapoint.gif and others you heart swells with pride.

When they are babies/toddlers they are a ton of work and you are basically trying to make sure they don't kill themselves and attend to every need.

The most fun ages are 5-12. They are potty trained, starting school, can do most things for themselves. But you are their world, and they still like you.

Once they hit 12 plus then you become less the focus and their social circle takes over. Try to make sure they have a group of friends going in. Guide them through the awkwardness of teenage years which everyone goes through the best you can. Keep them from going off the deep end. I can control a bit who they hang out with etc., so I try to steer them clear of obvious bad choices.

As far as marriage. After looking at mine and others for 20 years, its a crapshoot buddy. We are still going after all this time, so I guess we are still winning.

My wife stayed home with the babies when they were young, when they went to school she started work part time at the school. I think having two adults working full time and trying to raise kids puts too much strain on everything. It can be done, but it seems to rarely work out over the long haul.

We've been fairly traditional as I've been the majority bread winner, and she has been mostly the traditional mom "kid taxi" etc. It's what works for us.

As if I had noob gains.
On the upside I don't feel the 30s hitting me like some of this thread.
But the worst is having a dead social circle. A lot of people are married and it's fucking weird trying to think up where to meet new people outside of work.

I'm 22 and it seems so old that it might as well be 40.

I feel you on the social circle. Most of the events I go to are family get togethers. While they are fine on the surface they can get pretty boring.

Finding friends who share same interests as you and have time to do anything gets more difficult.

This reminds me:

Different people can respond differently to the same exercises. My legs have been blowing up like balloons on squats, but some people need to do other things to see size gains.

If something isn't working don't be afraid to change it. Make sure you've given it enough time to make sure it's not working slowly or you haven't reached enough load to really tax those muscles, but if they don't respond as well as you'd like then don't be afraid to change things.

>very advanced posting robots
Who told you!

Damn it Postbot 4569204, if I find out it was you I'm going to reformat you with a magnet!

If you can keep increasing the weight progressively from work out to work out then you still have some noob gains left.

Noob gains are from your CNS recruiting more motor units in a given muscle and will lead to you seeing an increase in strength but not much else.

53.. no not lift or do cardio, very obese... frequent poster of lifting and diet advise... how do I go about becoming a mod?

Hell yeah. 23 and looking down the road to having kids by late 20s. Thanks for the advice

32 male here.

I've been eating clean on and off for a couple of years now.

6', 200lbs of doughyfat shit. Just started lifting for the first time ever a few weeks ago. Feelsgoodman

Been lurking since I was a fatas fatass a few years back.

As an uncle and witness to people's parenting, you need to always remember that you are an example and everything you do is a lesson to your child.
So many worthless fucks neglect their parenting, or just let it breeze by letting their kids just pick up their own habits by osmosis instead of teaching them anything better. It's no surprise people are consistently fuck ups.

>mfw I find out my wrists are 7.5" and my ankles are 10.5"

At least my calves will look good, right?

>t. jealouse /pol/fag because user has a loving caring wife

Any other older anons still dealing with acne? I can't seem to get rid of the stuff regardless what I try. Face, scalp, arms, legs, back, basically if I don't have a white head somewhere that looks like it's about two seconds from exploding then I'm probably dead.

I want to claim it shows my test levels haven't really started to drop yet but deep down inside I'm pretty sure it's just my oily skin fucking me over

cold showers and cutting milk helped a lot
>t. 36

I don't really drink a lot of milk and while I start with a warm shower to loosen muscles after a workout I finish cold to close up my pores and prep my body to go outside since I live up north and it's basically winter.

Do I need to switch from whey protein and cut dairy completely perhaps?

35, went from 160kg, to 118kg in the span of three years. I'm going more for built than skinny. I still got half the way to go. Used to be a baloon as a kid. Thought I was condemned thanks to mom's greasy diet with a lot of coke drinks. I still have a lot of things to change, but I stopped most of her shitty traditions and meals as soon as I could. Mexican guy here, so imagine what meals were like and the gargoyle mode mom has going on.

yeah try it. I dropped the whey and do beef proteine isolate. It's disgusting but it agrees well with me. I only eat some greek yoghurt for probiotic gains which doesn't seem to affect it. I had the worst bacne for a year or so btw, don't really get it in the face

why not juice at that age?

36 here. started lifting just recently but have done cardio and bodyweight exercise for years, although not constantly. been posting (but mostly lurking) since 2006 I believe?

It does get harder, but it's not that drastic, really. in my experience, what you lack in youth you can compensate with discipline.

that's bullshit. Finasteride and minoxidil -do- work. It stopped my mpb on its tracks and even regained some (only slight recession on the temples). The trick is to act quickly, the time I spent being in denial was a mistake.