Am I supposed to feel like my spine will snap?

Am I supposed to feel like my spine will snap?

THIS
how the fuck do I do these, I can't even get 1/2way down kneeling

AbChad, please advise

No that's a sign you are too weak and/or have poor form. Keep your core tight so your back isn't forced to overcompensate.

no, your core should be so tight you can't talk and your face starts to turn red

No, you have to bend your upper back a little and flex your abs. Then you go down slowly until your lower back can't hold up and is just about to start to round. Then you go back up.

No, you're supposed to put your right leg in, take your right leg out, put your left leg in, and then shake it all about.

There's an Athlean-X video where he gives a progression which requires a swiss ball.

Lord god, I never see anyone do these correctly.

Your lower back needs to be bent outward for the entire movement, like a scared cat, not braced in like for most lifting movements.

You are trying to do the entire movement WITH a rounded back, exerting all of the force with the contraction of the abdominal muscles.

You DO NOT do these with a straight back, pushing your arms down to roll yourself up. Do not do them that way, that's useless.

Pretend as though a straight line is shooting upward, perpendicular to the floor, from the crease at the back of your knee. At no point may your butt go back far enough to cross that line. arch your back, compressing your core to bring up the wheel.

So true. I did just that and felt DOMS in my abs the next day. It's the same with cable crunches where your back is rounded for the whole movement.

The goal is to use your core to keep your spine neutral

start out with unloaded planks if that's too difficult

but contracting the abs whilst in a "crunch" position is useless, there are tonnes of other exercises that do that except 100x better

the point of ab wheels, planks, vacuums etc is to make the core contracted whilst in a position where your spine is neutral

Explain please

Lovely quads, but,

is completely correct.

The ab roll-out is a so-called anti-extension exercise. The entire point of the exercise is to train your abs to be able keep your spine from bending backwards when forces want it to. This ability will then transfer to e.g. overhead presses, squats and pull-ups (if you do them right).

There are two legit ways of performing the exercise. You can either try to maintain a 100% neutral lordosis with a slight posterior tilt of the pelvis (point your belt buckle towards you face basically), or you can use a hollow body position like a gymnast, which is what is describing. The latter option makes it easier to prevent hyperextension of the lumbar spine (bending backwards) because you're actively crunching rather than simply trying to maintain neutral. Neither version is "easy" though.

The roll-out is an advanced exercise. If you don't have the ab strength and/or motor control to do it properly, your spine will hyper extend and you'll basically be hanging on your ligaments. This isn't dangerous in itself occassionally, but if it's something that happens a lot during the day, which is most likely is since you lack the ability to prevent it, then it can become painful.

If it hurts, you need an easier exercise variation (or just don't roll out very far). The logical regression is the simple plank.

this guy fucks
yep, did them this way with arms slightly bend at elbows but be4 that I made mistakes and my lower back almost went snap city

>neutral lordosis
can you explain what this is to a brainlet?

I'd be terrified that my feet would slip and i'd get a little tricycle wheel jammed into my teeth.

It is pretty advanced core training.

if you feel your spine your core is probably too weak to do it properly. Start with someting easier.

I fucked my sacroiliac joint on this shit when I was just starting to excercise. pls don't do this unless you allready have strong core. I felt like my spine separated from the joint, and now 7 years later it still pops and hurts. fucking hell

Lordosis describes the natural curve of your low back. It's supposed to be like that most of the time. This is its "neutral zone". If or when you hyperextend your lumbar spine (bend your low back backwards) this curve becomes exaggerated and is referred to as a hyperlordosis. This position can be stressful in a bad way.

Before rolling forward you need to contract your abs really hard, to the point your back gets bent forward. You go forward SLOWLY, which causes abs to extend a bit. When your abs start to almost give out, come back up, but try to come back using mainly your abs and not just pushing your arms. Not that that's bad for you, but this way you work your lats, and that's not supposed to happen.

Also do not use your hip flexors to help, that's cheating. If you do this exercise slowly it's fucking hard as hell. Start from kneeled position before trying the OP.

Can someone make a drawing how you should/shouldn’t do the exercise?