/run/

Didnt see run thread

Im trying to get into running, so... RUN THREAD!

Question: if my airways hurt for half a day to a full day after running a mile(out of breathe as shit the entire time and mile was about 8 minutes) is something wrong with me or is it normal to feel this uncomfortable way? Sometimes it makes me cough. If I keep running more and more will it go away?

Not normal. Either slow down or walk until you feel fine running.

It may also be cold air. I use a buff band or a balaklava when it gets below freezing point.

Cheers

I did 250 jumping jacks in a row yesterday in my house and my airways hurt the same way after.

Is there ever a reason to do 250 jumping jacks? It's a retarded exercise, and that's a retarded amount. Just wall sit or squat if you're aiming for legs, or fucking skip rope like a normal person for the cardio.

I felt like it, okay? The point is that its not the cold that makes my airways hurt. I just want to know if I can train out of it.

Depends. Is it actual pain? If you're just experiencing some coughing/wheezing and your lungs feel a little "tired" you should be ok. This is normal but also a sign you have no cardio whatsoever. I used to run cross country after 5 years of no running or cardio I too had to go through that coughing/wheezing faze. It shouldn't last more than a couple days to a week. Also you might be running harder than you should be. An 8 min mile is honestly slow so If you're having such a hard time during that run you need to slow it down. Run for time not mileage. Since you're just starting out you need to develop a "running base". Try running 30min 4-5 days a week for a month on Saturday bump it up to 35-40min. It will be hard at first so the first week it's okay if you cant finish or need to walk for a quick second. What matters is you don't give up and keep at it. Cardio gains are lost really easily so it's something you got to keep at. Avoid anything like couch25k and the like as they only hinder your progress.

how should i train to run longer while still keeping a good pace? I currently can run 10km/h forever but i want to increase that to 14km/h

Thank you very much for the information. My buddies want me to run 1 hour every sunday with them and I need to get up to par.

Also thanks for not just saying I have cancer.

Probably not the best thread to ask in, but I'm looking for minimalist shoes that would be good for both lifting and everyday wear. Runners seem to know quite a bit about shoes

Well what is your weekly mileage at? How long do you run for when you do, and how long have you been running? I need to know so I know what to recommend.

Just finished C25K. Ran 3 5Ks this week and then did a little 1 mile thing because I was bored at night so I ran about 10.3 miles total. What is a guideline on increasing my mpw in terms of a percent increase each week? My goal is to end up in the low 20s (maybe do 3 7 mile runs a week or 3 6 miles with a speed intervals session)

General things to do follow.
Add speed drills to weekly routine (helps with form and getting accustomed to faster pace), increase volume as needed (you may cross train to reduce stress), do tempo runs (one every week or couple weeks), if you train 5+ days do intervals on one day (sets of slightly faster running followed by 1-2 minutes rest).
Also warmup properly.

It may take a while so keep your head down and work on it.

My groin hurts after running. Help pls.

What's the standard for a decent runner? 6-minute mile? Like 1/2/3/4, but for running.

Guys, I'm not even trolling right now I want some honest answer. I prolly won't get them.
What the fuck is the point of running more than a mile? I don't see a real scenario where it actually matters irl. I look at long distance runners and they look like fucking holocaust survivors. I look at a sprinter and they are stacked. I don't understand the masochism.

If I'm jogging and out of breathe should I slow down and keep moving slightly above a walk? Or should I jogging and walk until I catch my breathe and start jogging again?

Should I stop jogging and walk until I catch my breathe** dammit

Probably better to walk. If you try to just stay going really slow you'll probably have fucked form

Interesting. I figured I'd want to sustain my heart rate being higher, is form really that important at such slow speeds?

Try to keep a cadence of around 180 strides per minute. It's alright if you slow down by doing very short strides, but try to keep your stride rate up

Thanks!

is there form i should pay attention to when running?
or can i let my instincts take over and just run the way i would naturally do

I enjoy doing long distance races. Definitely not doing that for the body but the challenge of going further and faster is awesome.
The training is not enjoyable most of the time but it leads to better races so I do it everyday.

You could say the same thing about strongmen I guess, masochism, looking like shit and no real scenario.

Best thing would be to not overstride, landing forefoot below your center of mass. Keep a high cadence and fast turnover to lessen the impact of each step. The trick to high cadence is moving your arms in a controlled way. Right step move left arm forward etc.

I disagree with , for most purposes, a jog is better than walking. Your form will change at slow speeds, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad for you. In general you should try to keep 180 spm, but that doesn't really hold at slower speeds

because you'll never be able to sprint your way through the san juan mountains or have a adventure trying to find a run with a friend on a track

is it like a constriction in your throat or lungs or a more general pain in the back of your throat? Does it hurt more right after you wake up?
My first guess would be sickness, my second guess would be asthma, and my third guess would be VCD

Lots of things you can do. Something most people forget is the vertical component to running.

The fuck? A mile in your first day?
You gotta progress slowly. Start with some sets of 100 metres and build up S L O W L Y from there

Sprinters are not stacked in general. If one is, it's not due to exclusive running.

>the point
There's no objective answer to this. I do whatever I want because I can and enjoy it.

I thought a mile was the minimum

The minimum is walking out of the door and moving.

I try to not be a stereotypical american

I thought asmtha was a short term thing? My airways are still sore.

Long distance runners legitimately are masochists though, and most of them have no variation in their training, they just run constantly for hours and hours. The only long distance runner I've seen who's had an aesthetic physique is Dean Karnazes and I'm 100% certain that he does other shit besides running.

increase mileage and do intervals

I used to have to run almost every morning in the army. My lungs hurt like fuck as well for months but they had us sprinting round hills, after a while it eased but i was always wheezing. Just keep at it and push past your limits until you puke and shit yourself. It gets easier with time and consistency.