I recently started going to the gym about a week ago and am positive that I'll injure myself trying to do overhead...

I recently started going to the gym about a week ago and am positive that I'll injure myself trying to do overhead presses now. What workout can I do now that will make me capable of doing them comfortably later on.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TuNhcwNwyPg
youtube.com/watch?v=tAAAbwEtZRo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're a fucking pussy.

stretch your shoulders for needed mobility, warm up well before the work-out

Instead of using a barbell, use a dumbbell. Also, just lower the weight. Use a broomstick until the motion feels natural, and only then move to a barbell, and once that feels natural put weight on the bar. It's not a race, you'll get there.

>am positive that I'll injure myself trying to do overhead presses now
What makes you say that?

I'm weak, I struggle with the bar.

Don't use such a wide grip on them. Go for shoulder width grip, or just outside shoulder width

use dumbbells...

I trained a dude once who weighed 60 kg and was super weak and struggled with the bar at first. He leaned back a lot, and the bar wobbled all over the place. But mostly it was a lack of body awareness moreso than a lack of strength.
I just let him go at it while correcting his form as well as I could, and in 3-4 sessions his OHP looked way better. Ended up being one of his best lifts.

Important points on form:
First, check your shoulder mobility. You need 180 degrees of shoulder flexion to perform the lift safely. Google back to wall shoulder flexion test, and see if you can pass that.
Throughout the lift you need to tense your abs to draw your ribs down. If your ribs flare up, you fucked up. You also need to tense your glutes as hard as possible.
Don't take too wide a grip.
Make sure you elbows are always either right below the bar or a little in front of it. Never behind it.
Lock out the weight in line with your ears.
Purposefully slow down the lift at first if you struggle to control the bar.

If you can only do 1 or 2 good reps at a time at first that's fine. Neuromuscular adaptations will kick in really quickly and you'll be surprised by how fast you'll improve.

this is bad advice

I beg to differ. Although I suspect there's going to be individual differences. I much prefer a relatively close grip and am way stronger in this position.
It does take a little bit more shoulder mobility to use a shoulder width grip, but I have managed to press my bodyweight.

Use dumbbells. (Can even lift them one at a time, while checking your form in a mirror.)

A lot of "pros" at Veeky Forums will be hollering about compound lifts with perfect form, but for your first couple of months, just do simple exercises you feel comfortable with.
After you feel at home at the gym and got some rudimentary experience you can start with a "real" program.

>A lot of "pros" at Veeky Forums will be hollering about compound lifts with perfect form, but for your first couple of months, just do simple exercises you feel comfortable with.
>After you feel at home at the gym and got some rudimentary experience you can start with a "real" program.
This is good advice. You can build up coordination this way as well without hurting yourself

I had alot of problem with OHP in the beginning because my shoulder girdle was just so damn tight and my upper back was really weak. Adequate amount of upper back work (traps + rhombs + rear delt mainly) and mobility work for the shoulders should get you there.

I have john mccain tier shoulder mobility. I can't do this shit.

If you do simple excercises you'll get bored and stop going to the gym after a month.

The first few months it's a lot better to have fun at the gym to form the habit.

Yeah just outside shoulder width is what the pros recommend. Mechanical efficiency an all

>t. presslet

only stretch after workouts, generally before bed

stretching before lifting lowers your load capacity

just imagine how much klokov would press if he wouldn't stretch before training.

who the fuck has the body and tendon elasticity of klokov? not you

And certainly not you, going by your presslet status and shit advice, bub.

I'm pretty sure klokov does mobility drills and light quick stretches before workout, not full out stretching

look man, physiologists quote studies stating stretching reduces potential capacity due to tendon elasticity, take this with all the salt you want but if you are talking pure strength numbers, you don't stretch before

Klokov isn't a powerlifter, he's an athlete

hell there's people who claim stretching tendons has no actual effect outside of temporary pain relief, with studies to back

youtube.com/watch?v=TuNhcwNwyPg

klokov is irrelevant, sam hyde on the otherhand is a powerlifter.
youtube.com/watch?v=tAAAbwEtZRo

Static stretching increases mobility temporarily, and increases pain tolerance. Klokov doesn't do static stretching though, he does warm up stretching (running body through range of motion while activating CNS for muscle groups). Klokov's mobility relies on his muscle memory, strength of core, and establishment of joint use.

>clarence commenting on the video
>Everyone wants to be a supple leopard but nobody wants to lift some heavy ass weight.
ok im sold

good youtube channel. that's a lot of sources and some varied content.

Ohp is a meme anyway

delet

USE THE FUCKING OHP MACHINE