/FAST/ Fasting General

Stop eating edition

What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and fat fasting
While fasting alone is fantastic for your health, Consider doing a ketogenic in addition to become god mode

>WHY CICO IS BULLSHIT
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0
>HGH , Test, and muscle growth?
youtube.com/watch?v=snyA5UgrZis

WHY YOU SHOULD BE DOING KETO:
youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8
youtube.com/watch?v=NqwvcrA7oe8

>how can I get a quick rundown? Where can I start?
dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
dietdoctor.com/longer-fasting-regimens
youtube.com/watch?v=9idhb2aAfns

>any more info?
idmprogram.com/fed-fasted-state/
medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c
youtube.com/watch?v=PKfR6bAXr-c
news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

>Fung talks and lectures:
youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
youtu.be/PSR82vmZ5lk
youtu.be/v9Aw0P7GjHE

>Doesn't salt make you explode?
youtube.com/watch?v=amJ-ev8Ial8

Other urls found in this thread:

paleoleap.com/long-fasts/
theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/what-you-should-know-before-going-on-a-fast/article8461083/
academia.edu/10162122/Relationships_between_lipid_availability_and_protein_utilization_during_prolonged_fasting
strawpoll.me/14440436
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6999289
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6360189
youtube.com/watch?v=aQuDq5aGXAA
youtube.com/watch?v=2oO1bfna9dU&feature=push-u&attr_tag=zYu1n2ZVcOAnmUKx-6
youtube.com/watch?v=hfWy-PAR2fU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Avocadofag is always wrong.

All right im scurred now. I'm like 13% bodyfat on a 60ish hour snake juice fast. Am i gonna die of heart failure?

>Am i gonna die of heart failure?
By this I mean am I significantly increasing my chance of dying of heart failure if I'm systematically getting 4700mg of potassium a day and 1.5tsp of salt a day for 1.5L of water a day

Thank you.

>enjoy your heart attack long term fasters

Even fasts of a few weeks or less can have dangerous consequences. Fasting puts two different types of stress on your heart. First, it cannibalizes cardiac muscle for fuel. The human body does everything it can to conserve muscle during a fast, but inevitably some muscle will be sacrificed at the beginning of the fast. After a few days, the body switches over to using fat, but researchers have discovered that protein (muscle) utilization actually increases again later on, even though fat stores are still available. This protein includes the muscle in your heart: weaken this too much, and heart failure will result.

Strict water fasting is also a risk for heart failure because during a fast, the body’s intracellular stores of minerals vital for cardiac function, like magnesium and potassium, are depleted, even though serum levels remain normal. The results of this cardiac muscle loss and mineral deprivation can be tragic. During the 1950s and 60s, fasting was used as an experimental treatment for obesity, and several patients died (many from heart failure). Other reports of people dying during long fasts include more cases of heart failure. More recently, in 2010, a woman in Florida died after 21 days of fasting.

paleoleap.com/long-fasts/

where is the evidence?

>people will fall for this

You can take the CAPS LOCK out of the posts of the avocadonigger but you can't take the avocadonigger out of the posts

PROBABLY
YOU CAN'T SAY I DID NOT TRY TO WARN YOU

I'M NOT THE FUCKING BAD GUY IN THIS MOVIE

There's one problem with the rationale behind fasting diets, according to David Lau, an obesity researcher, professor and chair of the diabetes and endocrine research group at the University of Calgary. When glycogen stores in the liver are depleted, the body doesn't burn fat: It breaks down protein. Lau said starvation will only burn fat as fuel after about a week of starvation.

"Muscle protein breakdown occurs in the first 24 hours of starvation," he said. "Muscle protein breakdown [is] not healthy."

His concern is that many people are fasting without realizing they may be losing crucial muscle mass. The danger is that as protein in the body breaks down, it could lead to other unwanted side effects, such as altered immunity. In order to fight infections, the body needs to produce antibodies, a type of protein. But when the body is breaking down protein for fuel, it may not send the right signal to make antibodies, Lau said.
theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/what-you-should-know-before-going-on-a-fast/article8461083/

By how much would intermittent fasting boost my weight loss?

>what you should know before doing XXXXXXXXXXXXXX buzzfeed tier article written by picrel
you are a top memer ill give you that

>The most recent death is in 2010

Fuck off 500lb shill

Not who you're replying to, but here:
academia.edu/10162122/Relationships_between_lipid_availability_and_protein_utilization_during_prolonged_fasting

This is the reason I strongly advocate limiting fasts to no more than 2 weeks in length with two week minimum refeeds with heavy weight training and aerobic activity.

Tomorrow morning I'll be 100 hours into my water fast. Feels pretty good so far, way easier the longer I do it. I'm even gonna go to a "friendsgiving" party my friends are throwing, just to see how strong my willpower is. I was always the one bringing the best food anyway so probably not much.

Although I'm proud of you, I truly am, I wish you guys would quit going by hours and start saying it by day

"100 hours" sounds a lot more badass then "4 and a half days"

Jesus fucking christ you people are retarded.

The great thing about fasting is the flexibility. You can start and stop fasting whenever the hell you want to.

>being so fucking autistic you don't eat with your friends because "muh fastin diet"

Parties and celebrations with your friends are to be enjoyed fully. Its something to partake in completely and fully immersed in the joy of celebration with the ones you love.

Just fucking eat you autistic fucking spaz. And then go back to fasting afterwards.

Hey man I've never fasted before. but you're right, I'll actually be impressed with myself if I can go a full week. Not sure when "real hunger" will kick in but I'm actually extremely interested to see what that feels like for once in my life. It's something 99% of people (in the first world) never experience
I've been to a million parties dude, I'm not missing much. Also I don't wanna reset because getting past the first couple days is the shittiest part.

That's very interesting, thank you for the study.
Two critiques:
- rats
- no sodium potassium supplementation

So last week I did a 72 hour fast during my night shift, next day I caugh a cold a was sick for the next 4 days.

Was this in any way related? If so what do I do to avoid it next time.

dude, it will fuck you up, even the sight of food is enough to trigger an insulin response and you will be smelling it and watching people eat it, I recommend not going or breaking your fast a day before the party

>rats
So fucking what? If we disregard every study that includes rats then a huge majority of the research that SUPPORTS fasting also gets disregarded. When it comes to energy metabolism the rat models are in line with and extrapolate out to human models both predicted and observed. Mammalian energy pathways were established a looooong fucking time ago.

>mineral supplementation
shown to have no effect on lean mass retention in fasting states.

>yfw every edition from now on is
>"Avocado is a Confirmed Atkins Shill Edition"

First point, thank you for suffering my stupidity, I genuinely appreciate it.

Study on your second point? These studies are the ones that should be in OP instead of meme videos

>momentary insulin spikes are the devil
>not realizing it's 24 insulin load that is the problem in the 27th /fast/ing thread.

Lmao I'm 5 feet from a minifridge stocked with food and I'm fine. You seem like you're projecting. But if you've got some research papers to show me then go ahead, I'll read em.

or avocadofag is always wrong.

strawpoll.me/14440436
strawpoll.me/14440436
strawpoll.me/14440436
strawpoll.me/14440436

Best way to make snake juice?

Just realized, if I dont eat anything tonight' I'll wake up to 80 hours in tomorro

I use a blender for a couple minutes to dissolve the salts, then filter through these canning filters to catch any of the undissolved pink salt chunks.

>even the sight of food is enough to trigger an insulin response
>[ citation needed ]

re: study on mineral supplementation I'll need to get back to you, its in my notes which are currently not with me and a cursory search of pub med is not yielding the results i'm looking for.

The short and narrow of my position is that overweight and obese individuals can find effective and long lasting weight loss through the use of long term fasting. However the length of that term is important and I NEVER recommend fasts longer than 2 weeks. 7-14 days is long enough to have significant improvements in the conditions associated with metabolic dysfunction, and minimizes all associated risks with fasting. including lean mass loss and mineral imbalances. A two week refeeding window minimum is a long enough period to see significant rebuilding in lean mass with the use of heavy weight training and intense cardio while simultaneously restoring mineral reserves.

The actual mouth breathing retards shilling for month long fasts, and dry fasts, are putting people in real danger and is unacceptable.

i use a 500ml glass juice bottle and a .625 cc scoop
500ml + .625cc(4 salt, 4 nosalt, 2 cayenne)
I drink 4 of those a day

I’m in day 4 of a dryfast and basically bedbound now, feel like shit but I can literally feel the autophagy eating away the bad cells in my body

it's almost like you can't into pubmed
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6999289
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6360189

Godspeed you fucking retard.

10/10 made me reply

you can do it, don’t listen to lying doctors or scientists

Thanks a bunch. So basically the fatter you are, the longer you can go fasting without losing muscle.
>but there are no data in the literature that support the existence of a late increase in protein utilization in [human] patients undergoing therapeutic starvation, including those who suddenly died.
>those who suddenly died
>Thus, it was recently proposed (Le Maho et al. 1988) that the absence of the late in- crease in net proteolysis is related to the huge lipid stores
So basically the fatter you are, the onlger you can go fasting without eating your muscle away
I'm starting to lean towards ending my fast early as a 13% bf man. like 68 hours in now. I feel fine but idk.

>without losing muscle
No. that's not what the literature says at all. If you refer to the study involving obese vs. lean rats and actually read it you'll see.

There were three phases. An initial early adaptation phase associated with high protein utilization. A second phase associated with low (but NON-ZERO) protein metabolism. And a third phase of increased protein metabolism.

In this study the lean mass rats cycled through all three phases of the cycle in a 12-14 period.

However the obese rats only cycled through the first two.

At the end of the longer fasted obese mice, a body composition analysis showed that the obese rats had lost MORE lean mass than the non-obese rats during their longer fast.

The evidence clearly shows that even though the obese rats entered a protein sparing metabolic state and never left it, they still ended up losing more lean mass on account of the duration of their fast.

Fasting IS protein sparing compared to other metabolic states, however __IT_IS_NOT_ZERO__. There is still lean mass loss throughout the entire fasting period which is, again, why I strongly encourage fasts to be limited to no more than 2 weeks with plenty of refeed time to rebuild lean mass and mineral stores.

Furthermore at 13% bodyfat you shouldn't even be entertaining the idea of extended duration fasting unless you have clear cut symptoms associated with metabolic syndrome of dysfunction.

You should be eating heavy and putting in maximum efforts in the gym to build muscle.

You can utilize fasting while training to control body fat levels through the utilization of IF16:8 and possibly even fasting one day a week. Beyond that you're likely sabotaging your lean mass efforts by engaging in long fasts.

>sauce: 5'11, 190, 11%. On Keto IF16:8 4lyfe with one fasting day per week. 2 if my body fat starts creeping the wrong way.

>they still ended up losing more lean mass on account of the duration of their fast.
Oh, now this snippet makes more sense
>Total body protein loss during starvation was larger in fatty rats (57% versus 29%)

How do you get on a caloric surplus to build mass on keto? No rice n beans allowed?

>How do you get on a caloric surplus to build mass on keto? No rice n beans allowed?
That's a question for you btw. Obviously for me I should bulk on whatever until I build enough mass and then I should worry about bodyfat with keto IF16:8 correct?

You must be a woman if you judge your ideas based on their popularity. Also stop tripfagging.

This is gonna sound like broscience, but is intermittent fasting so amazing for us based on how we were hunter-gatherers for thousands of years and haven't fully evolved from that lifestyle?

Like, when we hunted food wasn't always plentiful and we went through periods of hunger, and so adapted this kind of process where we get less hungry the more time goes on, temporarily at least.

Yes, that is the supposed evolutionary pressure :)

The supposed physiological mechanisms have to do with insulin spikes and caloric absorption

Your body cannot use fat for energy when insulin is high in the blood. Insulin is ALWAYD high in the blood after ingesting food. Eat less frequently and you fix that problem.

Secondly, your body can only absorb so many calories from food at once. If you eat 4000 calories in 5 minutes, a portion of it will be passed through your intestines undigested.

If you eat that 4000 calories over 24 hrs, then theres a strong chance most of it will be completely absorbed and stored as fat.

Yeah actually fuck that. I'm gonna fast until I reach 9% bf and then start rebuilding mussels with perma abs or die in the process. God bless.

>Oh, now this snippet makes more sense
>>Total body protein loss during starvation was larger in fatty rats (57% versus 29%)
There you go. Give the whole thing a read when you have time to really dedicate your brain to comprehending it, it's quite enlightening.

>How do you get on a caloric surplus to build mass on keto?
>No rice n beans allowed?
Says who?
I eat rice and beans quite frequently actually. Just not in excess and always with plenty of fiber.
>I'm looking at you lettuce, spinach, kale, collards, bok choi, arugala, chard, broccoli, mustard greens, cabbage, rapini, endive, dandelion, red clover, plantain, watercress, chickweed, celery, wattle, marshmallow, jute, amaranth, rutabaga, brussel sprouts, turnip leaves, lamb's quarters, wormseed, chinese savoy, chipilin, mitsubo, scarlina thistle, and lovage. All of which I grow in abundance in my garden. I have more edible greens in there but I've forgotten their names and identification.

The keto shit you see shilled on here isn't keto. And more than half of the images you get for a google search of "keto breakfast" or "keto dinner" will knock you out of keto just as fast as eating a 'MURICAN sized slice of birthday cake washed down with a coke.

4 days is excellent, you could break this any time. I'm a proponent of dry fasting, LISTEN TO YOU BODY bro and be safe.

>dry fasting
>be safe

what the fuck are you on son, every god damn mammal fasts for days, it's a common thing among every animal. We are not special snowflakes, and we don't fucking need to eat every 3 hours, and the paradigm is finally shifting with recent discoveries of the benefits from fasting.

Fuck outta here avocado nigger

I'm not a fucking avocado. I'm a fasting user who's getting pissed off at all theses mudslimes in here shilling their shitty dry fasting for allah bullshit.

You got this man. Every day gets easier.

What's "real keto" then? Are people eating too much protein or what?

It's so hard talking to normies about food once you start fasting.

I'm sitting on like 24 hours fasted now, aiming at 100 hours.

Talking to people who eat breakfast, complain about hunger, eat lunch, complain about hunger, snack, hunger, dinner, snack.

They eat more in two days than I do in a week and complain about hunger the whole way.

>What's "real keto" then? Are people eating too much protein or what?
It's not a function of too much protein, it's a function of not enough "other" stuff.

If the average person eats a typical american mass market baked chicken breast they'll get kicked out of keto. Blood sugar will rise and ketogenesis will halt.

But if they take that same very self same chicken breast, cut it up into pieces on top of a salad with plenty of greens and veggies and fat, they won't get kicked out of keto because the protein will buffered by all the fiber and bulk of the meal.

the "keto" breakfasts you see posted of
>two slices of pan fried bacon
>two pan fried eggs in the bacon grease
>half an avocado
are just too much to keep yourself in keto.

24 hours down, 72 to go. Breaking this fast on Wednesday evening because I don't want to shit myself at Thanksgiving.

Okay... but literally none of them have been shilling here... so you're full of shit... AVOCADO. Mudshits don't even dry fast bro, they do this dawn to sunset fast during ramadan, and pig out at night... they don't even fast.

This week, Christmas and New Years are gonna be so fucked, I've resorted to dry fasting and hiking at the same time lol...

the suffering will hopefully be worth it. I had some bread to test how my body responds and luckily my weight remained unchanged 1 day later. better than gaining but proof that you cant lose weight on bread lol

>dry fasting and hiking at the same time
Dude, dry fasting is really healthy but don't be a fucking idiot... drink water if you're exercising

Muslims are fake fasters. They eat until 11PM and then again at 6PM. That aint shit.

Also HIDE AVOCADO POSTS
SAGE AVOCADO THREADS
DO NOT REPLY TO AVOCADO POSTERS

I am ready to die!!! Jk if its a problem I will drink . I have a buddy with me and we dont go hard

fatass and complete newbie to this here, a couple questions:

1.) I'm fat as fuck (6'1 350 lbs), is intermittent fasting a good choice for me?

2.) I was originally going to go on a regular diet, just eating less at about 2000 calories. If I do something like a week on/off of fasting, how many calories per day do I take in for the week that I am not fasting?

welcome, friend :)

1) IF is always infinitely preferable to eating multiple meals per day. we have explained it elsewhere but apologies for not having a link for you. IF = no insulin spikes. No insulin spikes = more burning of fat, not glucose

2) Run as big of a calorie deficit as you care to run. Try to do keto if you like, o reduce hunger cravings. If fasting, stay on top of your electrolytes.

Im on my phone but we have a lot of information for you. The main thing you need to do is jump in, stick with it, and only quit if you are suffering, not just discomforted.

good luck were here to help, except avocado. He's a shill.

Start with intermittent for a week or two and then go on a prolonged (5 days or so). Then just be OMAW master race. Brew snake potions when you go on your prolonged.

In the fatties I work with I expressly prohibit them from counting calories. Mainly because virtually everyone fucks up their estimations and counting.

My guidelines are to restrict dietary choices to healthy food options. Essentially the perimeter of the store. i.e. Meat, produce, fruit, and dairy are all ok. You can buy and eat whatever you want from there.

other acceptable things located in the middle aisles of the store are herbs and spices, fats (coconut and olive oil), no carb dressings (if you don't want to make your own), frozen veggies (canned are ok too), and limited rice and beans if you're going for weight loss

The bakery department is ok if it's used sparingly when weight loss is the goal.

When you eat, eat what you want as long as it fits within those guidelines and as much as you want, up to the point of satiety. Once you realize you're full, stop eating regardless of what is left on your plate. Leftovers are based.

You're going to give yourself plenty of nutrition because when you're feeding you're in the gym hitting it hard to the point of exhaustion and failure and you want good energy for gains.

>fasting during the week
>hardly get any sleep
>horny all day long

>no gf

Weird, muslims advocate fasting in case of extra horniness
maybe its in the water then

>mfw just found a god-tier breakfast option on fast off-weeks
>rye brad with peanut butter spread, scrambled egg on top with raw onions

supercharge me senpai

What do you homos eat when not fasting?

I usually OMAD but also eat a handful of salted almonds at lunch because that really helps, either the salt or the fat

I """""""OMAD"""""""" as in I eat whatever within a 2 hour eating window max per day.

HOLY SHIT, JIMMY LOST 10 POUNDS OF ORGAN TISSUE THEN DR. FUNG SAYS THE MACHINE WAS WRONG.

LITERALLY EXACTLY WHAT THE STARVATION MODEL SHOWED WOULD HAPPEN

>After a few days, the body switches over to using fat, but researchers have discovered that protein (muscle) utilization actually increases again later on, even though fat stores are still available. This protein includes the muscle in your heart: weaken this too much, and heart failure will result.

>NOT THE COMPUTER MODEL

@20:26
youtube.com/watch?v=aQuDq5aGXAA

You getting autophagy even when you fast only one day like you?

Is tasting your pee to see how much potassium is in your cells the final fast/snake pill?

PLEASE HELP ME
I've been doing OMAD and I can't shit for days. I feel bloated as fuck.
I eat a shit ton of food including a lot of fiber yet I never get the urge to shit.
I've drank 5 bottles of Yakult and it didn't help either.
How can so much stuff be sitting inside my intestines for so long? My abdomen is rock solid and it has been this way for 5 days now.
If I were water fasting it would be understandable, but it's OMAD
Jesus it actually hurts. Please help me

Our Fung who art in Canada,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy fasting come
Insulin be gone
at dinner as it is at breakfast.
Taketh away our daily bread,
and forgive us our refeeds,
as we forgive those who refeed around us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from cravings.
For thine are the ketones,
and the ghrelin, and the water,
for ever and ever
Amen

first rule of the fast club is you do not listen to fatties

If you have insurance and are in pain, I'd recommend going to a doctor asap

Try an enema from the pharmacy

Glad the fast was fixing his fucked up organs.

I'm like 40% body fat and have fasted for 6 days before. I'm thinking about going for two weeks. I would try to go three weeks, but I have a surgery coming up for my leg and I'm worried about my fasting state fucking with the doctors or my vitals or something. Has anyone else as fat as me done a prolonged water fast? Also has anyone fasted and gotten a surgery? I'm getting my leg amputated, I just don't want to cause problems with my vitals being quirky or whatever and have to explain to the surgeon i'm meme dieting

THANKS, THIS FASTING FOREVER REALLY WORKED OUT

What do you think your personal daily weight loss rate is per day of fasting? (lb or kg / day)

Hmm who to believe? Doctor and athletes with thousands succesfull clients and 0 deatgs or random user on anime forum who believes that rats and humans are same because they are both mammals?
:thinking:

Kebab

Dont fast before surgery or dentist visit. Anasthetics might kill you dont be retarded

Day 21 of fast.

I'm getting hungry and craving a ton of shit. Can't wait to break the fast in a few weeks.

jej

>getting hungry and craving shit

sometimes when your body craves shit, it actually needs it

Anyone have experience with stretch marks and fasting? Everyone around me is giving me shit about these and I heard fasting can make stretch marks look better or something

Yes can confirm. Last thread some girl confirmed that too

is fasting after a very very bug dinner a good idea?

>almost at 30 hours
>did a total of 3 hours of cardio within that time
>shaking like crazy
Should I be worried?

>bulking season
I want to stop eating but I need to gain weight

Anyone have tips for a shift worker? I do 12 hour shifts 3-4 days week, 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am. Busy work, sometimes don't get a break. I try to meal prep but I find myself burning out if I skip breakfast. Night shift is even harder because cortisol levels go haywire and I want to eat everything.

Do supplements, like fat burners, work well with fasting?

Leg amputated?

depends where you are from. EU fat burners are shit. US works but I would not take them. Ephedrine is already taxing on heart even when you are not fasting.

new Snek man Q&A

youtube.com/watch?v=2oO1bfna9dU&feature=push-u&attr_tag=zYu1n2ZVcOAnmUKx-6

youtube.com/watch?v=hfWy-PAR2fU

LMAO WHAT THE FUCK
I can't believe hes actually that stupid, I've seen the video where he talks shit about antibiotic and let slide, but this is fucking too much. The guy manage to make a fucking cult of delusional people thiking that water with salt will cure cancer wth