Why deadlift?

It would seem like commonsense that if you want to get better at deadlifting you'd just deadlift more, right? But deadlifts place a huge amount of stress on your joints/spine which makes them unhealthy longterm.
I've literally stopped doing deadlifts btw I can pull 3.5pl8ts so it's not 4 but I've been lifting for 4 months and I can tell that my body won't be able to hold up to the stresses as I keep adding weight to the barbell. What I started doing instead are extra lat pulldowns, dumbbell declined back crunches, and ( ironically ) very high rack pulls where I just try to hold up the heaviest barbell I can double overhand and asymmetric on a fat barbell to build up my grip strength and to just make sure my body knows what 400lbs feels like. I also do just isometric deadlifts to keep joint movement at a minimum.

So I am developing every piece of the deadlift puzzle separately and my hope is that it will improve my deadlift without and of the joint stress/damage. What is your thought on this hypothesis and what are your predictions for what I will feel like a month from now and my future results. If you think this is retarded then please explain why.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z7LdTekoZ94
streamable.com/uergz
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because it's fun

yea u wont really gain any deadlift strength unless you do similar deadlift assistance work which will usually be similar movements to the deadlift
like in this video he talks about training each part of the deadlift so i guess if u do all of that your deadlift will hopefully increase??
>youtube.com/watch?v=Z7LdTekoZ94

I love deadlifting. Sometimes, when I can feel my joints are hurting or whatever, I just skip it that day. Come back stronger with fresh joints.

I am definitely doing it too much. I was doing it every other day but then I cut back to once every four days. But my joints are still not fully recovering and I fell like if I put more time in between deadlift days I'll just be wasting time since I won't be imporving my deadlift as fast.
If I had titanium joints then yeah I've even been taking glucosamine and chondroitin but I just feel beat up all the time.
With the isolation exercises I mentioned I will be putting stress on the muscles without all the stress on the joints so I'll be able to up the frequency which means faster gains.

Being strong just isn’t for you jointlet

The past few weeks have really been a slap in my face to wake me up to biological reality. I'm not superman and my body will degrade over time. I've also realized how actually weak I am compared to real men. They're twice my strength which is unacceptable. I used to think I was strong but holy shit all the years of gaming really took a toll on my body.
I just hope I'll be able to keep finding ways to isolate the stress to my muscles and avoid stressing the more vulnerable part of my body.
I agree. One of my favorite things to do is to slam the weight on the ground while the fucking cardio bunnies are in the weight room. Plus, I feel like holding a huge weight straight up puts you into the best posture that makes me look huge in the mirror. I just don't look the same without a loaded barbell in my hands.

> hurt durr I diddly every other day
>Most programs recommend once a week
Drop frequency if you aren't recovering from it.

Do RDLs instead. Can't load as much weight but you feel way more in the lower posterior chain.

How do you feel it in your joints.
I guarantee your form is shit, you are not bracing and pulling with a cat back

>it's another newbie gives fitness advice after 2 months lifting thread

Obviously decreasing rom and overloading the bar is the best way to protect joints and connective tissue, can’t belive it took him 2 months to figure that out

>I'll be able to up the frequency which means faster gains.
read the full post next time before replying
streamable.com/uergz
video was taken like two months ago
thought about that but there is still joint movement and i get more ham/glute activation when doing back crunches
huh when you put it that way it really does make sense that my ideas are retarded

Have you ever read a single biomechanics or exercise science textbook in your life?

nope
my interests were crypto, neural ai, and physics
didn't have much time or energy for bio shit
i always looked down on it tbhwudesu
i do like biomechanics now though

SHOO SHOO GAINS GOBLIN

This is the issue with advice in the internet, it misses nuance or the complete picture.

Deadlifts are a problem. Thinking for months of training is going to allow your body the time to completely physiologically adapt to lifting 3.5 plate is the problem.

Different tissue types adapt at different rates with muscular tissue being the fastest. That means that tendons, ligaments, bone, fascia all take a longer time to varying degrees. Talking 4-12 times longer.

Yes you can lift more because your cns and muscular system has adapted but thr rest of your tissues havent.

This is an internet anime board with really poor fitness advice that only scratches the surface of what training should be like.

Seek out better info

give me sources for better info

>That means that tendons, ligaments, bone, fascia all take a longer time to varying degrees. Talking 4-12 times longer
that's a relief that my non-muscular systems will eventually get stronger too.
any info/links i can read on developing T/L/B/F?

Brainlet

could you imagine being so retarded you actually have to read textbooks because you don't just instinctively understand everything?

Well no wonder your fucking sore, your form is shit.
With deadlifts (especially defict deadlifts) you drop your hips, (see pic related)
You are doing some demented rdl.
Drop your hips and stretch and the pain should go away.

his back looks round so i don't see how his form is better than mine? am i just retarded?
can you just take a screanshot of the video i linked and just draw in paint some lines that would help me to understand? i don't expect you to do this but if i am actually missing something perception wise i'd like to know.

Not that user, but you literally swing the weight on the last rep in to your shin. Your form looks closer to straight leg deadlifts, and that shit lifting platform you put together isn’t helping. Just do them on the floor

Your back is literally parallel to the ground.
It should be around a 45 degrees (see old pic)
Also what joint issues do you have when deadlifting.

Should I start with the bar a little bit higher off the ground if I'm 6'3"?

You're right about the big loading, to offset this, intermediate lifters can use 4 exercises to strengthen their deadlift without actually deadlifting.

On mondays, you'll alternate weekly between a mid-shin rack pull, and the halting deadlift. On fridays, you'll alternate between the power clean, and the barbell shrug.

Read PPFST and SS for more info

>streamable.com/uergz
>video was taken like two months ago
Lmao, shittiest form, bro.

You're pulling the bar from over your toes instead of mid foot, you're not bracing correctly, you're not bringing your chest up, your hips are too high, and on top of it all you're using some gimmicky shit pulling it from the rack and standing on blocks for no reason.

pleb/10

And these are the people giving advice on Veeky Forums, glad I just come here to shitpost

>I've been lifting 4 months
>I can pull 3.5 plates
stop lying on the internet

What do you expect from a reddit spacer?

yeah, am likely to agree with user here, wtf is that form lol

nah, is possible if you were going from a fatboi to lifting. Not from skellymode to 3.5pl8 tho

This is commonly done with deficit deadlifts or partials and rack pulls. Just do each one per week at opposite ends of the week

these dyels are so retarded they don't recognize a defic deadlift when one is shown to them
for anyone looking for advice make sure to filter these three out
and i thought i was weak thanx for the compliment
anyway there's clearly dyels here who don't shit and it's late so i'mma hitt the sack for amrap

Zercher Deadlift is where it's at, my man.

What? I've done that on GSLP lol. It's not impossible lad

>lying about how much you can lift

If I had to stop deadlifts I'd quit working out altogether.

That's not a deficit deadlift you idiot, he's not starting with the barbell on the ground, granted the others are still idiots but in different ways.
OP to fix your form have the barbell over mid foot and touch your shins to the bar, that's the only adjustment you need to make that isn't mechanical. On the actual pull you should have the slack pulled out of the bar, you should be pulling your lats down and back, and you should be doing the valsalva. Do this, take a video of you pulling 5 reps at 80% or so of what you usually pull then post the video here again. I guarantee your form will be great if you can implement these steps without fucking up other stuff.

look how close his feet are to the bar
that's a deficit in fact it looks like his feet can't even get under the bar.

I mean it's only for 3 reps right now but yeah

- t. "I'm bad at deadlifts therefore they're bad for you"

You are clearly a retarded DYEL, why would you ever try to give anyone lifting advice? Your vid is a prime example of how people too stupid to research proper form punch their ticket to snap city.

have you followed rippletoes advice on how to deadlft?

shins 1 inch away from the bar
bend over and grab bar without moving hips
pull your chest up without moving your hips
pull the slag off the bar
then lift the weight while keeping bar along shins

Your back shouldnt be perfectly pararell with the ground itll be at a bit of an angle somewhere between 0 degress and 45 degrees

Pulling a heavy deadlift is a technical thing you nigger
I wanna see u pull 500+ with all that lat pulldown decline crunch strength lmao

A good DL program/progression has you pull a regular DL and variation as close to one
no fucking lat pulldowns and crunches holy shit

I'm going to get shot down but deadlifts past a certain point are a waste of time. I always see skinny dyels pulling weight and look where it got them.

So deadlifting keeps people small, you must be a big boi

deadlifts are actually one of my favorite lifts. possibly my favorite idk.

but i got up to 190lbs 1x5 and then stopped progressing, and that last rep really kinda hurt my back. i feel like it was maybe too much weight, but i did 185lbs np. starting this week i'm trying the greyskull lp method of 1xAMRAP, and i'm lowering the weight increases to 2.5lbs unless i can manage 10+ reps. hope this gets me somewhere lol

try sumo deadlift

>i'm not on cycle right now

are they easier, or something?

Sumo is trash, you must be pretty small to stall out before 200lbs

yeah i'm tiny :)

Paused deadlifts help with your problems. You do one complete deadlift till lockout, afterwards you bring it down till one inch above the ground, now you pause for 4seconds and pull it up till lockout again.

that's interesting. i might give it a try. why does this work better than just doing more normal deadlifts?

You need less weight and can correct your form. Afterwards normal diddly will be easier.