Why do people in martial arts say muscle slows you down?

Why do people in martial arts say muscle slows you down?

You're telling me a guy who is more lean at 180 lbs will be slower than a guy who is less lean at 180 lbs? It makes no sense. Also, doesn't training with heavy weights enhance your high twitch muscle fibers?

that dude's hand has to hurt

lmao why did the ref let that go on so long, I'm surprised the guy isn't dead

>SSfag vs Crossfitter

why the fuck was he allowed to hit the fat dude in the back of the head so much
especially since this was a joke fight

Beat that nigger's ass Van Damme. I love that scene. Bloodsport 9 is my favorite movie.

ref hates fat people making a mockery of the octagon

Systematic white male patriarchal supremacy

Old UFC was pretty much "no rules" and the refs weren't as good with their judgement. Think of it as early Mortal Kombat.

Rabbit punches are fucking dangerous, the ref should've immediately stopped that

the fat guy's insanely high blood pressure provides enough support to prevent any spinal/brain injuries. same way woodpeckers don't suffer from CTE

It wasn't a sport in the early days. More like a hillbilly coliseum

his hand actually broke and he wasn't able to continue on with the competition.

Muscle doesn't necessarily slow you down, you can be big and fast, but if you're too bug you'll gas too quick.

Look at AJ, he's fucking dench right now and fast as fuck, but he gets tired way too fast.

its useful for maybe the first minute but after that, you are literally carrying yourself. The smaller guy is going to have better muscular endurance due to not having to work as much and need to produce as much ATP as the muscular guy. But you can train hard as fuck and get cardio up but again, this takes years of training. Thats why conor lost to little mayweather.

this is why strength/power training is key for sports and bodybuilding is detrimental. unless the sport itself is bodybuilding....

> Connor is 5'9" 155
> "he had too much muscle, thats why he lost!!!"

Actually it's because Connor had to fight NIGGER mayweather under retard rules that prohibit 99% of actual fighting, not because Lucky Charm's conditioning sucks.

He walks at 175 m8 (now anyway). We all know he would have destroyed Floyd in MMA but his conditioning sucks.

he lost to nate too due to shit endurance and nate was a skinny fat guy when he fought muscular conor. So you can be in denial all you want but the fact is, larger body mass is detrimental to endurance. if you don't believe me, compare your skinny self's endurance to your muscular self's endurance.

Or McGregor is a fucking shit-tier boxer, ram his mouth at the pfp best and got what he deserved.

>hurr-durr muh MMA rules

Yeah and if they both had guns and dueled like gentlemen, what then?

Whats a good way to increase endurance and without having to resort to sacrificing mass?

>ram his mouth at the pfp best and got what he deserved
millions of dollars and respect from the majority of the fighting community?

He is a good "boxer" by MMA standards. His precision and movement is above the average UFC fighter. Cody, Masvidal, and Silva are also on the level.

train both. its going to be slow progress tho. Its like trying to bodybuild while strength training. Very slow process but progress is still there

Lots of cardio and lots of eating

why use your hand? especially with such awful technique

elbows amd knees are much better when you've got that much time and space

muscle doesn't slow you down, it's a silly myth. bigger is generally better when it comes to fighting, which is why, all else being equal, it's most prestigious to compete in the heaviest weight division.

MMA boxing standards aren't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Taking kicks, elbows, knees, and grappling into account, a pro-boxer would die under a round

mayweather would have won
he's got more experience with guns due to being black

I wish boxing and mma would ditch the gloves
it's more dangerous to fight with gloves anyway and it makes the fights really boring

Golovkin is the most entertaining fighter out there
prove me wrong

Robbed by a female judge

>You're telling me a guy who is more lean at 180 lbs will be slower than a guy who is less lean at 180 lbs?
No, obviously the leaner guy is in better shape. Having low bf is a given. What theyre saying is you shouldnt bulk too much because youre carrying around more mass, even if its muscle, and you gas easier.
>Also, doesn't training with heavy weights enhance your high twitch muscle fibers?
Fast twitch, and yes, but fighters are not geared toward absolute speed and strength. they need endurance

MMA gloves aren't that bad really. You'll still go down from a solid beating, as opposed to boxing pillows which require far too many hits to put you down.

I'd love to aee some hardcore MT guys like Buakow fight in MMA. Imo most of the UFC lineup has shitty stand up, lots of blind swinging and dropping guard.

Golovkin is a machine, but wouldn't call him entertaining. Not like Lomachenko or Rigondeaux.

This.

4iz grapple mitts really mess up your face. I'll get a black eye or a cut cheek just from lifght training with them, but 16oz gloves barely scratch.

Ah, the marvelous athleticism that's needed to kite around a bookshelf until it falls over.

Agreed. Its a wrestler/BJJ dominated sport.

Muscle for the sake of muscle slows you down.

If two guys are just as strong but one is much smaller, the smaller guy has an enormous edge when it comes to fighting, since he will most likely be faster and have better endurance. Thing is, bigger muscles usually means stronger, which is very important if you're gonna be wrestling or grappling in any way.

Look at Mike Tyson or Muhammad Ali -- they never fought anyone who weighed in at less than they did. On the other hand you look at wrestling and a bigger, stronger guy has a huge advantage.

maybe even he realized what he was doing was fucked and didn't want to murder the guy by throwing elbows into the back of the neck.

Look up Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke. Dude's a world class Muay Thai fighter and wrecks people's shit in the MMA cage. You've also got Albert Tumenov who has above average hands for an MMA fighter, although he's still below what I'd consider elite boxing. Donald Cerrone had fantastic striking, so does Stephen Thompson. MMA fighters usually drop guard not because they don't know how to box but because they need to be ready to stuff a takedown, and will do long, looping swings because it's much better to overreach and end up withing clinching distance after a combination than to have someone slip your punches and counter (watch Dominick Cruz, for example)

>Cerrone

Isn't what he used to be

He had a bad 2017, but the KO he scored on Rick Story was way above. He looked frozen in place against Till, like he wasn't ready to take the pressure.

If you're a wrestler, you want to cut as much weight as you can so you can compete in lower weight classes

he got fucking smacked

epic

That ref is a total cunt, dark shorts was catching stars after the first hit.

what hte fuck is that ref waiting till the other guy's dead???

Why the fuck didn't that ref call the fight the second it became a defenseless beating? Just risks brain damage for the guy getting pummeled and injuries from the guy pummeling him. Fucking dickhead.

Woodpeckers tongues wrap round their skulls

The more you know.

here the thing lifting sucks for fighting
> makes your stronger
it really slows you down punch wise
slows down recovery
makes your gas out faster

>not giving your brains the ol' lickaroo to prevent damage

Because that guys head has at least 3 times the padding and fat deposits of an artic seal. More damage was done to the other blokes hand

Absolutely ridiculous. Did that brainlet ref have a bet on a second round knockout or something? That should have been called 10 seconds into that beatdown.

Yeah that's why I said the guy pummeling needed to be protected too.

What about the coach?
Dont they have a saying too?

wtf is this sport. this is fucking horrible.

how is this legal???

Yeah, but coach's always seem protective of their fighter's wants more than their safety. Besides, the ref is strictly there to enforce rules and safety. It's his job to call a fight when it becomes dangerous.

No one says that except edgy teens

Heavyweight boxers are as fast as anyone. They just hit harder.

So would Brock lesnar have beaten Connor when he was still in MMA or not?

He was pretty big and slow, would gas faster, be less flexible.
The only advantage would he more weight on the ground, so he would have to take it to the ground as fast as he can and even then it would still be hard.

>Getting punched in the head repeatedly for a profession
>Getting dangerous

They are probably just protecting the heavyweights by not letting the babbyweights fight then

>You're telling me a guy who is more lean at 180 lbs will be slower than a guy who is less lean at 180 lbs?

That's obviously not what they're saying you retard.

Because they don’t actually know what they’re talking about. Just ask them why they think all competitive martial arts have weight classes - this is usually the best way of getting the message across.

holy shit that was a massive punch

Brock had very good wrestling and was a freak athlete. His stand up is shit and that's where he's slow. But when it came to takedowns he wasn't necessarily slow.
McGoobert would just get murdered by Brock's gnp. Remember that he got taken to the ground by both Mendes and Diaz who are both considerably smaller than Brock.

you can pinpoint the moment where he even debates himself if he should keep going

Your argument is both from extremes and uselessly vague at the same time. Define ‘much’ smaller. If we’re talking 50lb difference the chances of the smaller dude being as strong as the bigger dude are very very slim.

Also Ali was heavier than Frazier when they fought.

>slows you down punch wise
False
>makes you gas out faster
True

>Thats why conor lost to little mayweather.
Conner lost to Mayweather because Conner's not a boxer and Mayweather is one of the greatest boxers of all time.

It's an old boxing tradition passed on, in reality muscle is no slower than non-muscle.
One problem with being swole in combat sports is that you tend to tire faster. You know a boxer might throw hundreds of punches in a bout, and be in a state of constant whole body movement, awareness and focus for 12 rounds X 3 mins per = 36 minutes with only short breaks. If you gas before it's over and the other guy hasn't, you're fucked unless you get lucky. Which is why cardio/conditioning is king over level of swole.
In grappling strength is much more useful since you can apply it directly to controlling your opponent, whereas striking your strength only goes as far as throwing your fist out towards a target. Plus grappling is constant bursts of very high intensity and less of a constant movement a la boxing. So you can consider lifting to be more applicable for grappling than it is for striking.

Actually they were 100% correct for the sport that Connor decided he could beat a champion in that he was only partially equipped for.

Think before you type.

man I was rooting for the fat guy.

It depends on what muscles you train and how much you're putting on. For example, training your biceps and upper body won't benefit you at all in speed and if you put on too much you will slow down, be less flexible, and gas earlier.
A boxer's most important muscles are actually on his legs, so I'm fairly certain that putting on muscle on your legs actually benefits you athletically.
Plus, there's also evenly training your muscle groups for balance as opposed to getting a big upper body but smaller lower body.

Punching power = Core, shoulders, legs and tricep

STOP! HE'S ALREADY DEAD!

Because early UFC fighters didn't know what the fuck they were doing. They only trained their sport.
If you would have put someone like Jorge Masvidal in the Early UFCs, he might have killed someone and would have been unbeaten even at his size. Royce Gracie would have never been a name.

For sure Masvidal is a killer my man!

You make the point by mentioning fast twitch fibers. Though fast twitch is responsible for speed, speed only gets you do far. If you have a guy who has a shitton of stamina due to slowtwitch fibers and can take those hits mentally, the guy with the fast twitch will tire out too quickly. The best approach is a combination of both. The question on the ratio is due to fighting style (get the job done and over with vs drag them and tire them out).

For these "muscle fibers" can you only have one for the other?

How do I into Mike Perry-mode, lads?

Jesus fucking christ. All those punches to the back of the head probably gave the poor bastard HEAVY brain damage

No unless you are an extremely rare person. Most people have an equal combination of both. However, it usually cannot really be determined well unless you get a muscle biopsy done. But, you can get a good general idea of which a person is dominant in by seeing what they are good at. For example, runners. Sprinters tend to have an excellent amount of high twitch fibers vs distance runners being on the slow twitch side. Lifters, if they do better doing more reps instead of less and have a harder time with heavier weights, there's a good chance they may be slow twitch dominant.

It's not an either/or situation in most cases as like I mentioned: most have an equal amount.

why did i laugh so hard

underrated webm
lookit how red-trunks feints switching to southpaw (opening up his left/jab side) and waits for white-trunks to throw and open himself up, letting him slam a hook into that dropped guard

some long ass 30 secs

Reminds me of my brother, during actual ring fights he will two-hook-combo the gay out of Boy George but when we spar (which puts more emphasis on technique and conditioning) he sucks wind after two rounds so hard I could have a coffee and today’s paper while avoiding his punches. And we are about the same size, he is only like 10lbs heavier if ever.

beautiful. his fault for falling for it, but I genuinely grinned at this

>Missing the point this much

Muscles doesnt slow you down unless its too much. As muscles requires oxygen and you maximal oxygen absorbtion is limitted.

But look at guys like tyron woodley and you will realise that muscles doesnt hinder speed, at all.

well, boxing isnt isnt exactly fighting

This really bugs me when people say this, because it's completely different. I'll give you in the old days of mma in the stand and bang days it was just a bunch of retards winging haymakers but it's radically been changed by silva, gsp, and other world class champions and is still changing. For example a technique in boxing that isn't effective in mma is shoulder rolls and the philly shell, the gloves in mma are just too small. If you want to see a very advanced and only getting better pair of strikers I'd suggest looking into tj dillashaw and cody garbrandt.

What's a good lifting program for someone doing bjj 3-4 times a week

I already have 1/2/2/3

>challenge a boxer to a boxing match
>lose
>wtf it should have been mma he should have won!

>Taking kicks, elbows, knees, and grappling into account, a pro-boxer would die under a round
It's almost like they're different sports

>Also, doesn't training with heavy weights enhance your high twitch muscle fibers?
Uh no