Do you guys trust your own reflection?

Do you guys trust your own reflection?

>look in mirror
>"ayy i look good :DD"
>see myself in picture
>look completely diffrent

Other urls found in this thread:

psychologytoday.com/blog/the-sports-mind/201507/when-men-arent-good-looking-they-think
telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8956056/Relentless-optimism-of-ugly-men-makes-up-for-unappealing-looks.html
scientificamerican.com/article/you-are-less-beautiful-than-you-think/
scientificamerican.com/article/you-are-less-beautiful-than-you-think
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah, same

I need the mirror's sweet lies to have even a shred of self-confidence
so I'll take it

>lies
ITS NOT LIES! THE CAMERA IS LYING!!
THE EYES CATCH MORE THAN A CAMERA DOES!!

>thick AF in the mirror
>hulk arms
take picture
>-15lbs of muscle gone instantly
when will it end? how big do I have to get?

That's because you're used to seeing a mirrored image of yourself so the real one looks weird. Other people are used to the real one. Only very few people are so symmetrical that it doesn't bother them

what if i record myself lifting, and i still think i look good?`
do i look like shit to others?

mirrors and pictures are 2d representations of 3d objects. people can look good in pictures and mirrors, but horrible in real life, and vice versa.

you ever see famous people in real life? They look nothing like they do on camera. also, looking good on camera requires weird features, like a large, wide head, and small shoulders. WHy do you think the average male star is like, 5'7"? because their small frame and large head makes it easier for cameras to capture their expressions.

I remember reading a study a while back that said we look 5x better in a mirror than we actually look. Something about perception and compensation.

I don't have a source.

>look in the mirror and I think I look average
>look at a picture of myself and I look like one of the ugliest bastards I've ever seen
This can't only be me

For some reason when i look at myseld in the mirror i seem to change my expression in some way that has a real impact. My wife says looks at me and says i look more handsome and sexy when i look in the mirror, she teases me about preening but i don’t understand. For some reason i cant possibly replicate the expression or aura if im not looking in a mirror.

Anyone have any experience with this?

same

well that's a horrifying thought

If I face a mirror directly I think I look normal. When I look at a side view of myself through a mirror I'm like what the fuck happened. Pictures are even worse
But then people say im cute here and there. Would make cute babies. Other people say I'm just a 6 and only goes up with personality.

So i dont know if im cute or just in the ugly average. I have zero clue what to believe

I've read somewhere that you subconciously make yourself as good looking as possible when looking in a mirror. Like change expression and look at yourself at the perfect angle with the best lighting. Could be that.

THAT CAN NOT BE TRUE

DELET

if i actually look like i do in pictures i might as as well kill myself because im the ugliest motherfucker i have ever seen

Have this exact same fucking problem
Look like absolute shit from the side (facial wise)

FUCK YOU

I hate look at myself in the mirror and think I'm ugly af, I hate myself and don't know how to stop.

I look like shit in most pictures, great in a mirror, and good in some pictures. I really have no clue what to think

DELET

Btw, people actually tell me that i look much better than on pictures. Therefore, i think i look okay in a mirror.. what is that paradox?

Im pretty ugly in both pics and my reflection, but in subtly different ways.

In the mirror i analyse my face. I have a huge, broken, misshapen, acne scarred nose, eyes as black as the ace of spades, and yellow snaggle teeth. Holy fuck i just re-read what i wrote. Im objectively ugly. How the fuck did this happen.

Anyways in photos i look like a rapist. An ugly rapist. I cant smile, and my thick eyebrows, and ridged forehead hide my eyes. I just stay inside most of the time. Or wear a hat outside. Unironically wanted to get an oxygen mask for when i leave the house

opposite for me. look like a faggot in the mirror. look like an absolute beast in some pics my gf took when i wasnt looking

If you're with someone and you're both facing a mirror, do you find that his/her reflection looks different than looking at him/her directly ? No.

Whereas camera lens can drastically change how someone looks, depending on people.

...in real life than on pictures.*

It litearlly dosen't

If you saw yourself and it wasn't you would you think you are cute?

Also post pic and i will let you know

>10/10 in mirror
>2/10 irl
what fucking hope does a 5/10 have? brb kms

I have an asymmetrical as fuck face so yeah, but I've learned to not get so hung up about it.

opposite for me. i look like a fucking chad from the side. good jaw, nice nose, beautiful mouth, nice hair. from the front my nose is assymetrical and big, i have a small double-chin and my left eye is bigger

>I look like shit in most pictures
How other people see you
>great in a mirror
how you and ONLY you see yourself
>and good in some pictures
will the perfect conditions (lighting, angles, distance, focal length) of good pictures be the same when people see you?

>I really have no clue what to think
psychologytoday.com/blog/the-sports-mind/201507/when-men-arent-good-looking-they-think
telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8956056/Relentless-optimism-of-ugly-men-makes-up-for-unappealing-looks.html
scientificamerican.com/article/you-are-less-beautiful-than-you-think/

Wow i can totally relate. I just assume others see me the way i look in pictures (worse than in the mirror). Sometimes ill look really good in spontaneous pics, but selfies make me look worse.

All the validation I need is when im walking down the street and everyone keeps looking at me
If you're really good looking, you will know.

My whole life is a lie.

>psychologytoday.com/blog/the-sports-mind/201507/when-men-arent-good-looking-they-think
>telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8956056/Relentless-optimism-of-ugly-men-makes-up-for-unappealing-looks.html
>scientificamerican.com/article/you-are-less-beautiful-than-you-think
>tfw you've been browsing sh and lookism for so long that you know you're objectively at best 3/10 (with looksmaxxing) and you've completely stopped caring about anything
Feels liberating man

/p/ strong here. I do mainly portrait based photos with people, usually girls.

Some people are just photogenic, there is no real rule for this anyone telling you otherwise is full of shit. Many times I've arrived to see the model and thought, oh ffs shitty session coming up and that person actually came out great in the photos. I've had this discussion with many other photographers.

Cameras can not capture the same level of detail and dynamic range that a human eye can and when you take focal lengths and barrel distortion in consideration people start to look way different.

Check out pic related and consider nearly all your photos were taken with a shitty phone camera with an extremely wide angle lens. Some peoples faces suit certain focal lengths.

>3/10 (with looksmaxxing)
Im not one to spout silly platitudes, and lurking those places is like having selfawareness drilled into you. But are you talking about actual looksmaxing or silly just lose weight brah babby tier looksmaxing.
Acid attack victims and people running face first into napalm turned into presentable human being again after (extensive) surgeries

>tfw look cool in pictures but shit in the mirror

SOMEBODY

ANYBODY

DELETE THIS

better than the other way around user

>Holy fuck i just re-read what i wrote. Im objectively ugly. How the fuck did this happen.

fucking kek

I have this but I might just be ugly. My self esteem is pretty down, so even when people keep staring i a.) zone out, i.e. stare at the ground like an autist and b.) rationalize it with me having to look deformed/funny.
also this, if I see others in mirrors they don't look unusual. I think it's just that we see ourselves more often in the mirror and that the photograph (which is inverted) looks unfamiliar to us. I've also seen some photographs in which people I know look really weird, i.e. taking at quite a bad time. Some 6'6" guy I considered chad looked pretty (comparatively) bad in pictures, with double chin and so on. Probably because tall people have to look down more often, also when taking photographs - when they don't know how to tilt their jaw forward it will seem unfavourable when someone photographs from below

Well here it is
Colombian/mexican

sort of true.

We think we look better in a mirror, because we get use to seeing ourselves in mirror form. which is why when we see ourselves in pictures or video, we think we look different, and that differentness makes us dislike it.

you can never actually know how you look in 3d. Its why some people are photogenic even if they're ugly, and why some people look deformed in pictures but can look good on camera or tv. and why there is a "look" that execs look for when hunting for actors and models, because certain features look better on camera, regardless of how ugly a person looks irl

And no I don't think very highly of myself. Just average if I saw me on the streets

Shiiit, best bro material right there.

You look fine. Just my opinion but I think you would look even better with a shorter, more athletic haircut.

It's all about the lighting
>Look like a model in my parents mirror
>at my own place it's too fucking bright and white walls so i look like pasty af
Ask any photographer, lighting is THE most important part about any picture.

You're ugly bruh. Your eyes are wonky and your jaw is narrow 4/10. But it's not like you're hideous, just below average.

Why is it always so easy to look great infront of the parent's house mirrors, bro?

You look alright, take a bit more care of your skin and maybe get a little bit longer hair.

>We think we look better in a mirror, because we get use to seeing ourselves in mirror form
very true.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect
>The mere-exposure effect is a psychological phenomenon by which people tend to develop a preference for things merely because they are familiar with them. In social psychology, this effect is sometimes called the familiarity principle.
> In studies of interpersonal attraction, the more often a person is seen by someone, the more pleasing and likable that person appears to be.

Just remember that the mirror is well, mirrored. You look different from other people's perspective.

How do I get my phone camera to be 350 mm quality? I want to kill myself whenever I turn on the front-facing camera by accident

My hair is curly puffy Spanish hair so growing it would suck. I've gotten really short fades before and wasn't into that either so not sure what to do with that
This is a big thing I know. My eyes are weird and slanted and not much jaw definition. So from the side I'm worse
My acne is genetic so there's not much except managing it and maybe going outside more. I have good days and bad days with it

That's fair user, I know what looks good to you and what looks good to others is always a little different when it comes to hair.

Subhuman in both tbqhwy

>look in mirror under indoor lighting
>damn I look good
>look in mirror in daylight
>jesus fuck I'm so ugly

I am always taking pictures of myself in mirrors precisely for this reason.

I realise that I'm probably a 4, but this isn't a great thing to be thinking about so I take a lot of pictures in mirrors to take my mind off of it.

What if I make a dual mirror setup, boys? A mirror image of my mirror image should be how I actually look to everyone else. Is this the only way to rate your own attractiveness?

you look like a bro, bro
would lift with

>that punch to the mirror.

That green frog man's wrist is broke son.

the only way to rate your own attractiveness is to look at how people treat you, and whether your previous partners were hot? If not, then I got some bad news for you

I wanna be your friend

>model

get over yourself m8 lol

What? 350mm is by far the worst looking one.

I look better in pictures I don't take myself, probably because I get conscious or something, when I'm just about and someone takes it I look better.

Mirror is God tier for most.

>use mirror
>dont think im bad looking, atleast average or above
>take selfie
>use tinder
>0 matches for whole year

what in the fuck

hyperbole but you get my point

Fucked over by your eye area bro. Negative canthal tilt and recessed orbital rims is a death combo. The rest is pretty average 3.5/10

I think that its time that the FUCKING MODS step in and do something about this post.

If all your tinder pics are selfies you're doing it wrong. You're doing it really wrong if there's just 5 selfies of you alone in your house.

Thanks bros
You're already my friend
I agree. Especially with eyes being a very important feature. I think it's what people notice first.

I know that I am attractive because people have told me all my life and I always got attention from females even though I am literally autistic. I don't always see it though, but I guess that is a confidence issue.

SHUT THE FUCK UP

Oh, okay.

I think almost everyone can look decent if you take care of yourself. Ask a female friend that you know well what she thinks you should change (haircut, beard situation, skincare, clothes etc) and you should be making h o t n e s s g a i n s

Get big, shave your head and grow a beard. You could pull off Dwayne Johnson look maybe.

>tfw look absolutely awful w/o flash but look better than mirror w/

Anybody else a flashlet?

>tfw 24 yo kissless virgin
>mom: "ur so handsome! u could be a model user!"
>she doesn't say this about my siblings
>look in mirror and feel good about urself
>look at any pic/vid of urself and have illusions scattered

Here's a trick, and you can test it out right now.

Go to the mirror and stand close, compose the photo properly with your head near the top of the frame. Take the photo.

Now stand a good bit further back and put your head close to the exact middle of the frame. Take the photo. But now crop that photo so you have the same composition of the close up photo.

Stick both photos side by side and see the difference.

Hardmode: post the results.

Are there mirrors that flip the image so you see what others see?

I realize that’s not how a traditional mirror works but there could be a marker for such a product, which I imagine would be digital in some way.

It's called a non reversing mirror. You can make one by joining two mirrors together at a 90 degree angle.

Am I as ugly as I think I am.

Persian descent

Pic 2 of me

1) not fitness related, mods please ban him

2) no you’re not ugly, you’re just completely average. You’re not even on the 1-10 scale. Imagine a 1-10 sliding scale for attractiveness rating, except next to the scale there’s a little check box you can click with the description “eh just totally average, not good or bad, just a person”

Y u got a camel growing out your head tho?

And makeup on.

Tfw I think I look ugly in the mirror

>iktf

rip our joke of a life, user

>a photo is a 2d display of a third dimentional object, like a big juicy burger splatted into a piece of shit patty
Not only that but cameras can't pick up certain details and types of light you can see in the mirror or real life
>the camera adds 10 pounds is true

same

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that pics are flipped sideways.
Tip for Veeky Forums: flip your pictures and see the difference

This. Invest in or borrow a DSLR with an 85-100mm lense and your gains will come back.

The mirror is closer to reality than a camera

Stand with someone in front of a mirror

Mirror is closer to reality than a camera. Stand with someone in front of a mirror. You'll notice they look no different from looking at them straight on