Can't engage lats while doing pullups

>can't engage lats while doing pullups
How do I fix this?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just pull yourself on your lats or something

is that Pyrion Flax

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide grip

maybe start with lat pulldowns until you get the hang of it, your problem probably is that your arms can handle your weight and your lats can't

pull with your elbows, not your wrists

>retract your scapula
>try holding with regular grip instead of hook grip
>flex your back before going up

Wrong.

Switch to chin ups with a close grip and hang at the bottom feeling your let's stretch out.

Chin ups > pull ups because of the longed range of motion

overhand grip well outside shoulder width
just hang, brace your core, and practice moving your shoulders away from your ears. this usually cues your lats to pull your shoulders down and away, creating good length in the neck and massive lat activation. then, you pull

www strongfirst com/the-best-upper-body-pull/

You're not doing enough pullups user.

shoulder blades brah
everything starts from your shoulder blades

>overhand grip well outside shoulder width

The wider the grip the less lat activation you get. A close grip is a longer ROM and allows a better stretch at the bottom and therefore is better.

A wide grip puts unncessary strain on the shoulders just to get a worse ROM and worse development

Close grip chins > wide grip

>can't engage biceps whilst doing pullups
what

>Chin ups > pull ups because of the longed range of motion

Our boy Hemingway!
Back from the latest snatch n' grab?

>chins
these are pullups you fucking ape

i used to have the same problem as you OP and i couldn't do a single unassisted pull up. now i can do like 4 or 5 sets of 5+ pulls ups with strict form, this is only within like a month of trying. you need to pack the shit out of your shoulders and keep them packed the entire time. instead of gripping the bar just hook your fingers around it and leave your thumb free, and then imagine trying to pull your elbows directly down toward the floor(the same way they say to pull with your elbows for lat pulldowns or any kind of row). keep trying them more and more even if you can only do like 1, and keep the strict form the whole time and you'll eventually be able to do a few in a row. good luck

I never argued about what they were called? I just pointed out that a close grip is better.

How do I get to Jason Blaha mode?

Yes, close grip underhand is longer range of motion than wide grip and therefore better for development

Its too late you'll never be able to do it. He was recruited at 18 for his shooting abilities and trained at the farm at langley

Don't grip the bar like you would a barbell, your thumb shouldn't secure your grip

The easy cue that most coaches use is to just imagine pulling your elbows into your back pockets rather than pulling yourself up. That should definitely engage your lats more for chinups and pullups

dont grip at the end of your wingspan, but you definitely wanna be shoulder width or wider for a typical pullup

Get light weight or a resistance band and do lat push downs or rows prior to pull ups. Then retract the scapula and pull with the elbow. I find warming up my back first lets me activate it better

what is scapular retraction